• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
so who here saw me being mad cute on the DGDTJ live stream? unfortunately, there were no archives :(

Jun.

Smash Lord
If you're close enough to do a forward b in most matchups, there are better things you can do. Like retreat... Its only useful vs floties (peach puff) imo.

FB is pretty fast and safe against middle level players though. Once your opponent can wavedash out of shield or just learn that if you camp marth you win, its useless.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
What does it accomplish in Marth dittos though?
^ This is kinda what I mean.

Like sveet and jun have touched on, Marth dittos are mostly about spacing. In other matchups, fb is good as an interrupt because it is disjointed, comes out quickly, and has the same priority as an aerial (it won't clank with other ground moves, even if you do it while grounded. You can see this when shieldbreaker and fb don't break projectiles, but Roy's do.)

In Marth dittos, pretty much all of his standard moves are as fast as fb, and have way more range. Trying to challenge fair with fb is bad news. Trying to challenge any ground move of Marths (at good spacing) with fb is less than optimal because it has more risk than reward. On ground, it is generally better to interrupt with dtilt. In the air, you are just trying to outposition the other player and hit them in their weak zones, not straight interrupt them.

I don't really use fb at all with Marth (other than for recovery obviously) because I've never really seen it as useful. There always seems to be a better option.

Dart!

Smash Master
^ This is kinda what I mean.

Like sveet and jun have touched on, Marth dittos are mostly about spacing. In other matchups, fb is good as an interrupt because it is disjointed, comes out quickly, and has the same priority as an aerial (it won't clank with other ground moves, even if you do it while grounded. You can see this when shieldbreaker and fb don't break projectiles, but Roy's do.)

In Marth dittos, pretty much all of his standard moves are as fast as fb, and have way more range. Trying to challenge fair with fb is bad news. Trying to challenge any ground move of Marths (at good spacing) with fb is less than optimal because it has more risk than reward. On ground, it is generally better to interrupt with dtilt. In the air, you are just trying to outposition the other player and hit them in their weak zones, not straight interrupt them.

I don't really use fb at all with Marth (other than for recovery obviously) because I've never really seen it as useful. There always seems to be a better option.
then you catch a puff or peach at 160 with a fb to uptilt and they die. again, floaties...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Theres actually 1 spot where I think sideb is the actual best move choice. That would be if the opponent managed to get behind you but fairly close and pivot grab would be too slow.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
then you catch a puff or peach at 160 with a fb to uptilt and they die. again, floaties...
Most situations where you could catch them with fb to uptilt... you could catch them with straight uptilt. Also, I thought this could be DI'd out of fairly easily at that percent...

Niko45

Smash Master
Specifically I don't like side B in ditto because it seems the places it works best is when you trap marth in shield or in spots where marth is trying to escape. Naturally he's DIing correctly in this case and it seems to me that when Marth DIs side B correctly he can hit you out of it. I don't want to side B Marth as he comes in cause that will just lose.

That's just a specific matchup I don't like it in, but I find it has its niche uses in most matchups. A 2 hit side B on a very high% spacie that should have died already can set up a nice fsmash tech chase and in general its a nice launcher at mid% where you know you've got it if the first side B isn't CC'd you can just carry on to get the launch without have to commit to that full fsmash. Stuff like that. Of course, grabs pretty cool too...

Edit: For floaties DIing the side B so that they can't get up tilted, just don't up tilt. Just read the DI and you can pretty often follow with an up air which also commonly kills at that point.

Jun.

Smash Lord
There is one thing though, forward B can be done out of a dash. Sort of a safe-ish dash attack. Even though utilt could be used instead of FB-Utilt, I forgot that FB can be done out of a dash, allowing its usage to be sort of a "hit confirm" against floaties if anyone knows what i'm talking about. I think most of the utility of Marth single forward B is that its unpredictable but can't be spammed and is in no way a go-to spacing move.

btw cactuar how do you know my name lol. Most people call me junk Q_Q

Jun.

Smash Lord
sheik has needles

sheik has guaranteed follow ups from grabs

sheik can kill you out of a grab if you DI wrong

sheik can edgeguard marth well

sheik has more needles

marth can't edgeguard sheik well

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
idk if this is good or if people do it already or anything:

but when sheik fairs your shield and then jabs, do any marths try to shieldgrab anyways, and if the sheik decides to jab you can just cc while you're grabbing and ccgrab the jab?

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
idk if this is good or if people do it already or anything:

but when sheik fairs your shield and then jabs, do any marths try to shieldgrab anyways, and if the sheik decides to jab you can just cc while you're grabbing and ccgrab the jab?
yeah man i love doing that lol

marth can spam CC shieldgrab ALOT

just dont do it if you're near the ledge, cus you'll fall and DAIR

also dont do it if theyre spacing jabs/fairs/bairs on your shield

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
most characters can shield pressure. for marth it seems like its just staying outside of the range of their oos options and spacing moves or just waiting/dd (or combination of the two) to react to what they choose to do oos

Niko45

Smash Master
Just a topic thats been on my mind can marth sheild pressure. Does he have any?
Eh, not really in terms of relentlessly attacking the shield. But like fairing their shield and waiting is pretty good pressure cause they will eventually have to do something that you can hopefully punish.

@marth cc shield grab thing yea I really like it in select matchups. Particularly Falcon, who has I would say 0 better options than to jab you after using an aerial on your shield.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
While spacies go all out on your shield with aerials and shines, to pressure shields, Marth just waits.

that's how badass he is

Jun.

Smash Lord
like cactuar says, try just standing in your sword's range in front of your opponent without doing anything. Your opponent will most likely try and do some irrational cause he's panicing like roll, shield, jump on a platform, which is all advantageous for Marth. Maybe I'm just being crazy.

Marth is like Charmin Ultra

Less is more.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Anyway to consistantly pivot ftilts with Marth? I can pivot jabs and fsmashes really well but not ftilts its bugging me, would help me out a ton! <3

Top Bottom