• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I usually fthrow her at 0% actually and I usually get a regrab.

Personally speaking I most of the time uptilt then wait so that air dodge down thing would just give me a free regrab *shrugs*

And well iunno you know more percentage ****, I dunno **** about percentage specific stuff D=
nah that sounds about right. pretty much what i do. I was just thinking of other possible escape options and the airdodge thing popped in my head. I have to remember to try it the next time i happen to play sheik vs marth.

one of the best things about marth's grab game is the mixups. Don't get in the habit of only doing 1 throw in a certain match-up. All 4 of his throws are siiiick.

One thing thats not really talked about but a lot of people know about it, and i mean the throw mix-up game. In order to escape the throw combo you have to DI a certain way, but there is another throw that compliments it. Falco's fthrow and bthrow come to mind. If the opponent DI away from falco they can avoid fthrow combos but in order to avoid a bthrow combo they have to DI towards falco. Marth has similar traits. PEACH DOES NOT! If she grabs you (marth) and you're within fthrow kill threat range, just hold that DI (which is about 30 degrees counterclockwise from straight up, not 45 degrees or directly back). This will also escape any uthrow combo automatically, and because the escape for dthrow is actually DIing into her you will have enough DI to avoid that too. Only risk is if you're in fthrow kill range and for some reason she grabs you with her back to the edge. She could simply bthrow and you'd die loooool

just had to get that off my chest

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
are there any marths who play reckless/aggressive and still do well in tournament?

M2k plays aggressive but plays really low risk most of the time.
IB isnt aggressive at all
Mangos marth is kind of what I'm talking about.

I dont really know any other marths =)
I was just wondering if there were any who actually approached as part of their game and not just as a bait or whatever.

makoforce

Smash Ace
advice to live by; as I'm finding out

I've been watching matchups of marth vs shiek but somehow I mess up edgeguarding alot

Is it correct that the goal is to make them land onstage? then whats the best way to punish? Usually go for a grab or ledgehop uair to a fsmash or dair, but I don't quite know when to roll or when to just stay on the edge, is there an easy answer here?

also, versus peach, I always have YS banned and I always ban brinstar, so what are some good counterpicks ? battlefield or fod seem what I have left
I usually wavedash from the ledge into a fsmash

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Guys, at 0-10% off uthrow on Sheik can't you just regrab? I know about the nair thing, but I just pivot grab and seem to be fine. As far as I know, if she doesn't jump at those percents, she is going to get chaingrabbed. I used to do fthrows at those %s but I've been doing this a lot more recently and I get it every time. You guys sure the chaingrab won't work?

As far as aggressive Marths go, yeah, Mango is the prime example. In fact, Mango is probably the most aggressive top player you will find, with all characters.

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I just listened to lucky's smash podcast and he was talking about how mango is always in your face. I just realized how mango never plays "gay," he always just goes, goes, goes. And I guess it works.

Except against hbox. l_l

Alright, Marth is on FD, he has full range on his grab game. I have no idea what do use with marth's grab game to get the most out of it. Help me figure this out.

First off, I know I can fthrow/dthrow puff into fsmash tipper at various percents. All I need to do is pick the right grab to throw off DI, then go into either a walking fsmash at lower percents or wavedash fsmash at higher percents. When does this stop working, and where is the point of stop walking and start wavedashing?

On shiek, Uthrow after lower percents into Utilt tipper chain is only escapeable by jump, and if that happens I can simply keep the Uair tipper chain going for pretty much into an edgeguard.

Falco and Fox I know there is something with Uthrows, Utilt, fsmash, edgeguard. But, at what percents and DI included I get befuddled over what happens.

Captain Falcon... I have no idea. If I Utilt below 50% he seems to be able to tech it and merely roll to escape it. After 50% I think I can Uthrow into Utilt chain and merely watching out for the jump. So pretty much anything before 50% I am not sure how to take advantage of it.

I really want to avoid tech chasing if I can.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Sometimes you just gotta techchase vs Falcon. He's really heavy so throw combos are sometimes awkward to pull off and if he DIs it's tough to get Uptilt to reach. Also I think it gets kinda similar to Sheik where you have to call his jump sometimes to get the punish / punish harder

Fox can shine out of no DI at like 18% or something, which is when you want to pivot grab. Uptilts start working when they look like they will, I think they're pretty easy to judge visually haha

Also keep in mind that I only dabble with Marth ^_^

ss118

Smash Master
Alright, Marth is on FD, he has full range on his grab game. I have no idea what do use with marth's grab game to get the most out of it. Help me figure this out.
I'll try to help the best I can!

First off, I know I can fthrow/dthrow puff into fsmash tipper at various percents. All I need to do is pick the right grab to throw off DI, then go into either a walking fsmash at lower percents or wavedash fsmash at higher percents. When does this stop working, and where is the point of stop walking and start wavedashing?
This works easily till around 30%, but here's a way to take it even farther till potentially later 80's.

F-throw -> pivot f-smash. Basically, practice throwing left -> dash left -> smash control stick right while smashing c-stick left. Learn to do it consistently and fluently, everytime you get a grab. And f-throw immediately to potentially throw off DI. Also learn how to do it in the throwing right direction; the hardest part is how unnatural it initially feels to smash the sticks in opposite directions at once.

Another hint: don't JC grab in this match-up. Learn the range on the dash grab so you can grab her crouching. Then f-throw -> pivot f-smash before they know wtf happened. XD

On shiek, Uthrow after lower percents into Utilt tipper chain is only escapeable by jump, and if that happens I can simply keep the Uair tipper chain going for pretty much into an edgeguard.
Since you hate tech-chasing, yes. Personally I like marth's tech-chasing game because it is guaranteed, but that is the jist of how to **** shiek from grab.

Falco and Fox I know there is something with Uthrows, Utilt, fsmash, edgeguard. But, at what percents and DI included I get befuddled over what happens.
F-throw falco once at 0%, otherwise u throw them both till ~20ish, then do something. By "do something," I mean pivot grab, m2k grab, down throw -> tap a reset, anything. This is their only chance to get out, because after this you u-tilt(do a reverse u-tilt after the "do anything" moment) into regrabs. When you think u-tilts knock them too high, u-air -> regrab, or just do it into a tipper f-smash.

Captain Falcon... I have no idea. If I Utilt below 50% he seems to be able to tech it and merely roll to escape it. After 50% I think I can Uthrow into Utilt chain and merely watching out for the jump. So pretty much anything before 50% I am not sure how to take advantage of it.
Reverse u-tilts work iirc. I also thought regular ones did as well, but meh. I prefer d-throw tech chase, again, but this works. Don't forget you have a 50% chance of KOing them if you d throw off the stage: run off and fair if they try to grab the ledge, or down b a fair or uair. They can jump backwards sometimes, so be prepared for that.

I really want to avoid tech chasing if I can.
You get 10x better if you can tech chase. I understand it's hard at first, but when you understand how the DD flows with his throws it becomes a mere rhythm.

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
My friend loves to approach with his falcon with a nair, everytime I shield he basically gets the grabbed and if I shield grab I get hit. Any advice on how to avoid or counter?

Shouldn't there be a lot of ways around that? The biggest is merely intercepting Falcon with your sword like jab, sideB, ftilt, Nair, Fair, (bair if you are facing the wrong way). Wave dash out of range. Crouch Cancel the hits. Or, shield -> OoS aerial/Reverse UpB.

I also do not get why you would Dash Dance as marth against really mobile characters like CF, Fox, Falco, etc. I suppose since I keep getting attacked when I am facing the wrong way, and shielding an attack while they are behind you is not helpful. A single wavedash seems to work just as well as any DD.

I am avoiding techchase whenever possible so I do not give people the chance to escape. Thanks for reconfirming those grab follow ups.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Anything stops a Falcon's Nair as Marth as long as you know he's coming in with an aerial at the timing you expect ...

If you have to shield then he's catching you with the pants down.

ss118

Smash Master
I also do not get why you would Dash Dance as marth against really mobile characters like CF, Fox, Falco, etc. I suppose since I keep getting attacked when I am facing the wrong way, and shielding an attack while they are behind you is not helpful. A single wavedash seems to work just as well as any DD.
I'm actually having a similar problem with Fox running behind me and just up-smashing. Even if I predict it with a shield, it doesn't do much. Essentially, use the early game to read your opponent on how well he can play against the DD game; if he reads you, start auto-cancelling fairs to help relieve pressure in instances where you would dash away. Generally he will catch you when you commit to DD-ing away. Work on pushing the opponent to the edges of the stage using a combination of aerials and DDing with wavedashes and you should be fine. It all comes down to picking up an opponent's habits and working Marth around them.

Falco has lasers to **** you up, though. Learn to ignore lasers, whether that means attacking through them, weaving around them, powershielding.

Niko45

Smash Master
Shield ***** CF. A lot of the time I'll just run up and shield on CF and he'll abide me by trying to aerial it, anticipating a dtilt or some sort of attack.

If you're not getting shield grabs on CF's nair idk what to say, it works on absolutely every CF I've played. Aim your shield upwards? Regardless of aerial, if you crouch in shield you can just cc grab CF's jabs and get a free grab that way.

If CF is actually aggressively nair approaching you it doesn't get any free-er than that.

Also for people getting caught by over-shot approaches that anticipate you dashing away: try dashing towards them. You'll sneak underneath them and then you can turn around and go punish them. You can also just suddenly turn around and grab prematurely against stuff like fox run up shine approach.

makoforce

Smash Ace
I think marth actually has the best tech chase on the game. See think about it. He might not run as fast as CF or shiek but he reaches further than both of them. And you can boost grab also, furthermore he's not even slow at dashing.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
marth has a really hard time punishing no tech if he already started his dash dance. Also, his jab is horrible for resetting. I guess dtilt is the best for that.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I think Fox has the best pure reaction techchase in the game. I would argue that Sheik is next, and that CF is at least tied with Marth after that.

CF, Marth, and Sheik don't have ways to react to a missed tech at low percents that are as good as Fox's usmash/utilt.

Sheik is better than Marth since her boost grab is way better and she has a way of guessing the tech in place/missed tech (usmash) that punishes almost as hard as CF's stomp.
Marth's throws let them land farther away from Marth, both allowing them to slide off the stage more easily, and making it harder to cover all the options when they DI away. This applies somewhat to CF too, but he runs faster than Marth.
Marth builds the least damage per iteration of techchasing, and can only present a major threat (tipper near the edge) to any specific tech option in really specific situations. Sheik and Falcon can present the threat of a usmash/stomp type move anywhere.

Marth's real strength is that he only has to techchase a fastfaller for so long before he can set up huge, reliable combos from grab. Idk if we're counting that in "who is the best techchaser".

stelzig

Smash Lord
I think marth actually has the best tech chase on the game. See think about it. He might not run as fast as CF or shiek but he reaches further than both of them. And you can boost grab also, furthermore he's not even slow at dashing.
Marth has a useful boostgrab?

stelzig

Smash Lord
Hmm I just always thought that his boostgrab would simply make him slide less over the ground and decrease the grabrange compared to JC grab. Granted I haven't really tested it, I only ever try to boostgrab with sheik and characters that can make their dashattack sound while grabbing this way lol.

Top Bottom