• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I tend to just do invincible aerials into edge regrabs until they give me some room and then go from there.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
what are marths safest options from the ledge to get back onto stage?
Ledgehop -> waveland straight down. If you're below 100%, regular standup/roll are very safe too. Don't limit yourself to these, though. Ledgehop -> airdodge and ledgehop -> counter have their place too.

how safe are ledgehop aerials and when r they used most effectively? nair, fair, uair< which is safest? cheers?
Ledgehopped aerials aren't very safe, but you should use them from time to time if the spacing is right. Uair is extremely situational. Don't use it unless they're almost directly above you, for whatever reason. I wouldn't advise you to use nair, unless your opponent is completely helpless to dodge it (i.e., in lag from a move). Fair is sometimes a legitimate option if they're far enough away from you. Do the fair right before landing and be prepared to spotdodge/roll/dash the heck out of there if you miss.

is it generally best to DI behind foxes dair to avoid being shine combo'd?? how do you DI multihit moves correctly, mash the c-stick + main stick in a direction at the same time?
I believe you want to SDI away in order to not get shined.

how do you DI multihit moves correctly, mash the c-stick + main stick in a direction at the same time?
Yeah. I believe that's correct.

who are the best current marth players?
Mew2King, Strawhat Dahean, HBK, IB, Falcomist, Arc, PewPewU, Diakonos, KFC... That should be enough for now.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Its impractical to mash the c stick for di in any shape or form.

if you are expecting to get hit, or during a multi hit move, hold the c stick in the direction you want to ASDI.

for a multi hit move like foxes drill hold c stick away from the attack and use quarter circle di. because there are multiple hits you will have increased success on getting SDI inputs on individual frames instead of the less potent rotational inputs. as well as 100% ASDI as soon as you hold the c stick.

earla

Smash Lord
i just watched pound 4, genesis.

which other entertaining big melee tournaments have big melee archives i can watch?

anything essential for the aspiring smasher?

hold away then
quarter circle the c-stick or the movement stick for DI'ing multihit?

Ryuker

Smash Lord
which other entertaining big melee tournaments have big melee archives i can watch?

anything essential for the aspiring smasher?
Look for the Revival of Melee series, The other Pounds(pound 3 was the first that Mango beat M2K I believe). The matches at the FC tournaments were good.

Older:
Look for the old MLG tournaments and I gues Ken's Tournament (forgot the name sorry).

Euro tourney's:
Most recent: Epita Smash Arena series, Zest, Smack & Berlin Calling
Older: Renaissance of Smash

That's a quick list. There's a lot I probably forget.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
thanks so much!
Your welcome

Some general advice about DI btw:
DI so that the hit sends you in the position your opponent would least like you to be. That means that when fox is planning to follow up his shine with a wavedash backwards you shouldn't DI so you get sent behind him. You'll make it easier for him. If you know where they want you to go make it hard for them to get you there ^^. That goes for any combo really.

I.B

Smash Lord
Your welcome

Some general advice about DI btw:
DI so that the hit sends you in the position your opponent would least like you to be. That means that when fox is planning to follow up his shine with a wavedash backwards you shouldn't DI so you get sent behind him. You'll make it easier for him. If you know where they want you to go make it hard for them to get you there ^^. That goes for any combo really.
In that specific scenario, if you're getting hit by the shine, it's clear which way you're gonna go. So if he's ready to follow you by WD backwards, (character-dependent) you should DI in the direction you're being sent so you can go further than he possibly anticipates.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
its so wierd how Cactuar and M2k play completely different yet they used to be training buddies. M2k told me he taught Cactuar how to play, when he was at my house.

Just goes to show you how crazy smash is. they are both insanely good too. I think Mango even put a polished cactuar in the top 5-7 of US players.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Cactuar is Polish, wtf are you smoking

Cactuar plays with sexy movement and intelligent playing. M2K plays with his DD grab and "I know what to do in every single situation!" playstyle.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
In that specific scenario, if you're getting hit by the shine, it's clear which way you're gonna go. So if he's ready to follow you by WD backwards, (character-dependent) you should DI in the direction you're being sent so you can go further than he possibly anticipates.
I understand what you mean but read carefully what I said. I said to DI so that the hit sends you in the position your opponent would least like you to be. DI'ing in the same direction the hit is sending you so it makes it harder for them to follow up qualifies for that I think.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I understand what you mean but read carefully what I said. I said to DI so that the hit sends you in the position your opponent would least like you to be. DI'ing in the same direction the hit is sending you so it makes it harder for them to follow up qualifies for that I think.
I like to try to smash the shine away and pray for a grab.

earla

Smash Lord
useful CC applications for marth? cheers:)

cc grab? cc dtilt? cc fsmash?

^ when are these useful?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
CC grab Fox's nair, Falcon's nair, Sheik's tilts, any characters' jabs/dash attacks. Make sure you shield grab/JC grab, or else Marth will just dtilt after the CC.

A good way to punish people for ledgehopping aerials predictably is by CC dtilting.

CC fsmash is a reasonable option at higher percents, especially if you won't get much from a grab.

Niko45

Smash Master
CC fsmash is a nice mindgame against opponents on the ground. Bait them to get up attack you and then respond with fsmash.

CC fsmash also has other really specific uses like against puff or sheik for example.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Cactuar is Polish, wtf are you smoking

Cactuar plays with sexy movement and intelligent playing. M2K plays with his DD grab and "I know what to do in every single situation!" playstyle.
Lol.

Quick lesson in vocabulary...

Polished: perfected or made shiny and smooth; "his polished prose"; "in a freshly ironed dress and polished shoes"; "freshly polished silver"

Not be be confused with...

Polish: the Slavic language of Poland or relating to Poland or its people or culture; "Polish sausage"

My peak level of play is scary, but rarely seen as I'm usually not in practice and tend to lack motivation to perform at that level. And as I've stated before, average level of play is far more important than peak. Consistency is everything.

Also, for the record: I'm half Korean, quarter Irish, quarter German.

Just Sexed

Smash Ace
Lol.

Quick lesson in vocabulary...

Polished: perfected or made shiny and smooth; "his polished prose"; "in a freshly ironed dress and polished shoes"; "freshly polished silver"

Not be be confused with...

Polish: the Slavic language of Poland or relating to Poland or its people or culture; "Polish sausage"

My peak level of play is scary, but rarely seen as I'm usually not in practice and tend to lack motivation to perform at that level. And as I've stated before, average level of play is far more important than peak. Consistency is everything.

Also, for the record: I'm half Korean, quarter Irish, quarter German.
nah you suck... lol jk

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
dont cc grab fox's nair. shine comes out faster than grab lol. he also wont be in your grab range if he lands behind you. dd grab fo sho.

youre korean, irish, AND german? im nigerian.

earla

Smash Lord
can someone please link me to hitbox visuals youtube clip?

also, how many frames it it to put up a shield?
how many frames to drop shield?
how many frames to jump?

thanks so much:)

booshk

Smash Lord
dont cc grab fox's nair. shine comes out faster than grab lol. he also wont be in your grab range if he lands behind you. dd grab fo sho.

youre korean, irish, AND german? im nigerian.
from what i know, it's very possible to cc grab fox's nair without getting shined. seen a few marths do this.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Something I never learned was what buttons to press to cc grab...Do I hold down while I press Z to grab? Or do I press down to CC and press grab after?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
can someone please link me to hitbox visuals youtube clip?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPAJYiq__s0

also, how many frames it it to put up a shield?
I believe shield is instantaneous.

how many frames to drop shield?
There's never any reason to do this. There are always better options, unless you're Yoshi.

Wavedashing in place out of shield is faster anyway.

how many frames to jump?
Airborne on frame 5.

Vincent46

Smash Cadet
There's never any reason to do this. There are always better options, unless you're Yoshi.

Wavedashing in place out of shield is faster anyway.
This; by the way, it takes 15 frames, I think.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
wavedash depends on the character's jump. 10 frames for the slide + X where X = the number of frames in a character's jump animation.

Dr. Mario 5 (3)
Mario 5 (3)
Luigi 5 (3)
Bowser 9 (7)
Peach 6 (4)
Yoshi 6 (4)
Donkey Kong 6 (4)
C. Falcon 5 (3)
Ganondorf 7 (5)
Falco 6 (4)
Fox 4 (2)
Ice Climbers 4 (2)
Ness 5 (3)
Kirby 4 (2)
Samus 4 (2)
Zelda 7 (5)
Sheik 4 (2)
Link 7 (5)
Young Link 5 (3)
Pichu 4 (2)
Pikachu 4 (2)
Jigglypuff 6 (4)
Mewtwo 6 (4)
GAW 5 (3)
Roy 6 (4)
Marth 5 (3)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Something I never learned was what buttons to press to cc grab...Do I hold down while I press Z to grab? Or do I press down to CC and press grab after?
after your cc you grab. make sure to release down.

you can also jc grab while holding down.

imo best way is to hold down, shield and rapidly mash A. you will still cc any new attacks and have more chances to grab.

you can also hold c stick down for a weak cc and still grab using methods above.

Top Bottom