• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

TP

Smash Master
Random question from a Melee noob:

Generally, how many jabs, Ftilts, and Dtilts do you do in a match, compared to each other? Like, 10 Dtilts for every 5 jabs for every 2 Ftilts or something like that. I can never decide what the best one is for each situation.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt is very nice because it has those IASA frames stuff, and so i has little lag, good to spam against chars that stay a lot on ground, like marth dittos, peach, ICs, dashdancing *****es :p.
Ftilt has amazing hitbox and less lag than Fsmash, so you can do like...surprise attacks with it, like a Fwavedash -> Ftilt. Tipper has high knockback. Not good to spam with it cause you can get punished worst than with Dtilt.
Jabs are for them not to approach you, i find it like a secure way to stay defensively, you can still shuffle Nairs and Fairs and mix with jabs :p
On edgeguards:
jabing spacies fowardB is sex and safest way to get a kill.
Ftilt is nice at covering options, like when they are fire foxing/birding and there is still a chance that Fsmash isn't going to hit, you can Ftilt, and if they evade, go for Dtilt or jab or something fast :p.

i would say Ftilt is the less used, then jabs, and dtilt is so good beacuse it comes and goes very fast.

example vid xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWmAnhv7594
in falco's 2nd stock i use Ftilt for edgeguard, but i got slopy and didn't get the kill D:.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Jabs are mostly for interrupting approaches and edgeguarding; ditto for D-tilt, although D-tilt also makes a good pressure and poking tool. F-tilt is also used for edgeguarding, but its main use is to replace F-smash as a slightly safer, slightly faster, much less powerful alternative that tips slightly closer to Marth's body.

It's hard to say which to use more because they're different, and for different situations.

D-tilt is probably the most used for onstage combat. For edgeguarding, it depends on how they recover, although typically speaking F-smash, Shield Breaker, Jab, and D-tilt largely fulfill any onstage edgeguarding need you'd use F-tilt for.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I jab (hmm it's not technically a jab is it? eh whatever) and f-tilt way more than d-tilt when I'm playing defensively. Like against Ganon.

Probs about 10 jabs and 5 F-tilts for every d-tilt. Jabs are funny, but oddly effective.

DUB

Smash Lord
Cactuar:

• How do you deal with a Shiek approaching with Full Hop Needles? Is it best to back out or jump over with a fair?

DJMirror

Smash Master
How does Marth kill Samus? Uptilt? Fsmash?

I need help with that match up cuz i dont know what to do to samus out of grabs and how to kill her

I also wonder what i should do in IC match up

thank you

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
How does Marth kill Samus? Uptilt? Fsmash?

I need help with that match up cuz i dont know what to do to samus out of grabs and how to kill her

I also wonder what i should do in IC match up

thank you
The Ice Climbers match up is really relatively simple. fair to d tilt, fair to jab, fair to f tilt. as long as you simply keep fairing and keeping your distance they really can't do anything.....like at all. D tilt destroys them extra hard. Just make sure you arent doing d tilt as they get ready for a dsmash or you'll get *****. In terms of who to attack first...most IC's player are used to the CPU one getting attacked first...mix it up and just do different things or just do what works best for you. Experiment. Get them below the stage with a dilt so the IC player is forced to UPB and basically gives you a whopping target practice for fsmash w popo or nana or whatever the heck the cpus name is...I always forget who is who. LOL.

Samus is pretty annoying IMO but you just need to be extra patient here. Treat it as fighting jiggs or peach and don't fall for dumb crap. any attack you have including jab stops samus missiles so pretty much the only thing that should make you approach is her fully charged neu b....just block it. You shouldn't be getting grabbed because her grab comes out insanely slow. When shes recovering from the sides you really need to go out there and make her feel uncomfortable. This doesn't mean you need to hit her but you need to make your opponent THINK that you can hit them or that you will. Try to avoid her from doing her tether recovery and wait for the fsmash or d tilt on the ledge to better position yourself for the kill.

Samus is extremely annoying for me because im more of an aggressive player and sometimes i run into dumb crap. But it really just boils down to you need to outcamp her and be really patient.

See my match up thread if need be. M2K says some funny but true things on the subject.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Cactuar:

• How do you deal with a Shiek approaching with Full Hop Needles? Is it best to back out or jump over with a fair?
if a sheik fullhops with needles, she is very very weak if you run right below her. from there you can basically do whatever you want as you wont get hit by the needles. if she has a platform below her, you can wait til she lands and utilt or jump up and fair/uair her.

unless you're talking FD, in which case you can pull out a run behind fsmash or wait for her to fall.

the only other options sheik has is to cancel the needles and come down with a bair or jump onto a different platform.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Good sheik players don't usually approach... lol...

But my way of dealing with that is pressuring them on the ground so they don't really have a chance to go aerial. Lots of spaced fair spam really...

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Cactuar should go back to using Marth. Discuss. :)

****, sorry....double post. I've been reading the thread for like thirty minutes and thought someone would post by now. lol.

I saw Cactus's post on going all Marth for pound 4 and I got all pumped.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Haha. Regardless, that offer actually is up for anyone. I love training people and I play like... all the characters that matter. Even though my style tends to be weird.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Cactuar If I go to Pound 4 $10 please. You probably dont remember me. Anyway kekekekeke bye! <3

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
If anyone that plays melee does not go to pound 4...they should quit melee.

Its going to be amazing....and Pound 3 was arguably one of the best Melee tournaments ever from what i've heard.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Cactuar, is there some secret to the color green? Does it activate some primal endorphin in the brain that causes more focused and precise play? Because I use black Marth and I was thinking to changing to green if there was some super secret reason behind it.
Thanks <3

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I was thinking about this the other day....

Who the heck uses Blue Marth? Aside from Azen I really don't think anyone. lol.

For some odd ball reason I love blue Marth in Brawl...all the other colors aside from Red look stupid. Yes, I play Brawl too but I love Melee more. DUH.

Anyone: Any ideas on how to approach Peach? I know how to combo the crap out of her and stuff but sometimes I get into awkward standoffs w Peach and don't know what I should be doing.

Grabs?
Fair approaches?

Edge guarding her is also dumb and gay but I know what I should be doing here. I just hate getting into awkward standoffs with her and i dont know my best course of action. Also, is d tilt or f tilt effective?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
my view on marth vs. peach: nair is generally the best aerial to approach with (it autocancels if shff'd), but for this matchup you should be spacing fairs. just make sure you mix stuff up. you don't want to be predictable in any match-up.
i know that what M2K usually does against peach is space fairs. it's a really annoying matchup and you have to be very patient. and ban Mute City.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I play Blue Marth!!!

I was thinking about this the other day....

Who the heck uses Blue Marth? Aside from Azen I really don't think anyone. lol.

For some odd ball reason I love blue Marth in Brawl...all the other colors aside from Red look stupid. Yes, I play Brawl too but I love Melee more. DUH.

Anyone: Any ideas on how to approach Peach? I know how to combo the crap out of her and stuff but sometimes I get into awkward standoffs w Peach and don't know what I should be doing.

Grabs?
Fair approaches?

Edge guarding her is also dumb and gay but I know what I should be doing here. I just hate getting into awkward standoffs with her and i dont know my best course of action. Also, is d tilt or f tilt effective?

Top Bottom