• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Thunders, I guess. It really depends on positioning and character choice. I go with tech chases on fastfallers, but I prefer thunders/shieldgrabs with others.

I dunno... I'm always worried about fthrow chains, since they're rarely guaranteed.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Thunders, I guess. It really depends on positioning and character choice. I go with tech chases on fastfallers, but I prefer thunders/shieldgrabs with others.

I dunno... I'm always worried about fthrow chains, since they're rarely guaranteed.
Well im not as confident with resets and thunders so I tend to, from 0% f throw 2 times then down throw to tech chased d throws. This is mainly on falcon. Against spacies I just go for the fsmash. on floaties I just keep using the f throw as much as possible.

against spacies try this **** out lol. up throw from 0 percent like 3 times straight and then down throw fsmash. hella ppl miss the tech lol cuz they are worried about DI and the 0 to death chain throw

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Well to each their own, I guess. I play more textbook... fthrow regrab uthrow at zero percent. I dislike things that people have even a remote chance of breaking out of.

Yeah, I've seen the early fsmash out of chaingrab, but, I dunno, the chaingrab itself isn't that hard to do and it can lead to a kill anyway... personal preference/execution, I guess.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Yea. I do alot less controlling of the match. My specialty is getting ppl off the stage lol. Just let them do the work for me. I tech chase them as the roll into the stage but when the roll towards the ledge im right there with a fthrow to fsmash lol.

and from 0 you should be able to fthrow twice i think and then start upthrows.

Out here in WA I am completely discouraged from chainthrowing a spacey for extended periods. Ive had ppl shine out I swear after a single upthrow from 0 but I may have been late on the grab. but out here ppl just shine out all day usually after 3 or so. Thats why I go for the dthrow fsmash cuz they are busy trying to shine out and often miss the tech.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
u cant regrab falco from uthrow at 0%.. u gotta fthrow them once and then start ur uthrow chain.
No, if they DI/land infront, you can regrab with Uthrow.
If they land behind, you can't.
Opposite for F-throw. If they DI forward, you can't regrab them. =/

:093:

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
No, if they DI/land infront, you can regrab with Uthrow.
If they land behind, you can't.
Opposite for F-throw. If they DI forward, you can't regrab them. =/

:093:
well actually, you can't regrab them of forward throw regardless (they can buffer a roll or spotdodge, or they can shine).

But what Falco expects a f-throw lol....

okay some of them do.:(

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You can outspace the shine with your grab, and if you can do that, you'll grab 'em every time, 'cause the grab covers two frames, whereas the invincibility frame on the shine only covers one.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
At low percents they are usually right on top of you. At higher percents I can use my sword and the shine doesnt matter as much but at low ones when ur trying to go from 0 to as far as you can, they cant DI very much left or right and you dont have much time to dash dance and grab

but maybe i just made all that up. Ill keep that in mind and see what happens

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Ok so I'm getting back into Melee, and this time competitively. So I can WD, DD, SHFF, and have the feel for Marth (although I do accidently Jab like 4-6 times until I can get it under control sometimes). However, I'm having trouble including his SHFFL aerials into my regular game. I know I know, I need to practice, but is there any quick pointers just incase?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Ok so I'm getting back into Melee, and this time competitively. So I can WD, DD, SHFF, and have the feel for Marth (although I do accidently Jab like 4-6 times until I can get it under control sometimes). However, I'm having trouble including his SHFFL aerials into my regular game. I know I know, I need to practice, but is there any quick pointers just incase?
just for spamming aerials you can play comps. just beat the **** outta them with the most consistency possible.

but shorthop double fair l cancel repeat. then try stuff like fair onto a platform l cancel and then drop thru with a fair..

just **** around with **** like that. or shff a nair across the stage

metashinryu

Smash Ace
hey i got a question:why the hell i can only do shdfair with the z button? everytime i try to do it with a or cstick marth doesnt slash at the time to throw another one, is just im being slow or what? i have to time it well cuz sometimes i do a jc grab XD

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
You're just messing up, practice more.
bad responcse, but true lol.
thats not an answer man,is just the same crap that people who dont wanna response say -_-
You are just messing up. Ur doing it too slowly as far as c stick.

With z its easy to hold forward and spam z cuz that double fairs and l cancels. [u can l cancel with z].

You need to hit the c stick after you actually jump and then l cancel. Right after you jump and then again if you are trying to short hop double fair l cancel.

If u jump cancel its because you arent waiting long enough to hit z. jumps take around like 4 frames I think and you wanna hit z on the fourth or 5th frame so that you dont cancel the jump with a grab and a fair comes out.

Does anyone know where that giant post of m2k's is?
check socal cuz they kno. but Its in like the midwest somewhere I think. Ive seen it but I got a link to it from the socal thread. Just search for threads from m2k

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
at 0 she can always regrab you after that if you dont DI im pretty sure you can jump out of it, just dont DI away

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I think you need to DI up. and I havent really tried to jump but I can air dodge out but I honestly dont know if its a 0%. buts its close tho

this is with marth

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
These are the %s you don't have to move to do CGs with Marth vs Fox
0-16 Forward DI (sometimes 16 will miss though, but I think usually you will get them)
0-20 no DI (sometimes you will get them at 20 or 21 or so but the soonest you can miss is 20)
0-28 back DI

for up tilt vs Fox without needing to move
0-35 Forward DI (sometimes you will miss at 35 though, I've even had phantom hit bull**** before, but after 35 you need to walk forward no matter what. I think walk forward up tilt works to like 50 something?)
no DI the lowest you can up throw up tilt to knock them UP is like 23 I think that's unrelated though kinda, although honestly I usually do it at about 27/28+ (by the way vs Fox I usually do reverse up tilt because it seems better and it's harder to DI out of assuming they don't DI because you can still dash grab them even if they DI it, while if you did normal up tilt after not DIing up throw all the Fox has to do is DI behind Marth and he can land and tech before Marth can grab him)
0-50 back DI

for Falco
0-15??? (I know it's around like 13-16 or something idk, it's actually the same or less than Fox) Forward DI
0-25 no DI
0-31 back DI

for up tilt vs Falco
0-42 Forward DI
not sure for the no DI thing (unrelated thing see the Fox note above) I think it's like 30 something + but again this isn't exactly related to the "don't need to move" thing but more like a "don't need to move until it knocks them over on the ground instead of just completely missing" type of thing
0-54 back DI

up throw tipper F smash works on Fox at like low mid 40s + IIRC, and lasts up to as long as like 80% or so maybe even 90 if you don't DI. The easiest average % you are looking for vs Fox is 60%, although it works before and after that by about 15/20% obviously. Up throw take a baby step forward and then if they don't DI you reverse tipper F smash, then C stick if they decide to DI the up throw. The more you do this the better you will get at the timing and understanding, I just gave you a basic guideline. Falco is similar but add the %s a little higher by like 5 or 10% prolly closer to 5 (that's just a random guess) and there you have it.

Also you see my vid vs Shiz where I tried to do up throw Fair to Bair to F throw to Dair (that works I tested it on computers but I know a human would DI in the F throw lol, or I could just F smash tipper) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-di...e=channel_page at 1:02 it begins. Well, I made that up recently but my mistake was wavedashing before the grab - I should have just done a dash grab then F throw dair (or F throw F smash or F Throw down tilt to edge hog then bair).

ANOTHER Mistake at that vid at that same time is after he did the tech roll, I could have gotten him with a dash JC grab behind me before he would be able to shine or dodge, but I suck and got stuck in my turning around animation

--

you can't up throw Falco at 0% if he DIs behind you. He will always land. On the flip side if he DIs forward you can get him at 0% with a standing regrab, but it's the opposite for Marth's forward throw. F Throw regrab works if he DIs in but with away DI Falco can escape. Lol it's kind of a guessing game. I usually down throw at 0, or whatever direction the edge is, then down tilt it.

with no DI they can't escape till like 80%+ lol. Probably more. Once they get to like 70% + just do SH uair a few times. At like 90 do up throw (let them DI) then go for Fair + Dair (if they are smart they will not DI the Fair or DI away)

also near the edge down throw to dash-off-stage Dair actually combos at mid/high % if they DI in xD

there's my old post

edit - 5000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soap

Smash Hero
nice.

what do u focus on WHILE cging?

just percentage and DI, or does it just flow naturally.

I just look at their body and do stuff, but usually end up in a combo where they survive at the end unfortunately

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
WEll thank you sir. With that info Ill go be mango. haha jk

Question: What about ppl who shine out of the chain throw at low percents. Almost all of the spacies that I play with can shine out of it relatively easy. Is this a common problem cuz it discourages me from trying a full out 0-death.

Does this mean im grabbing late or is there just nothing you can do about it.

MarthPwnzer-

Smash Apprentice
When should marth be aggressive or defensive? I have trouble because I tend to sometimes camp at bad times? And against which match-ups is aggressive or passive better?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
**** everyone. ur marth. Camp overly aggressive ppl and **** campers unless ur getting ***** then be patient.

From recent popularity polls a campy marth is like the safest way to play but its really really gay and all of california will continue to ridicule you. You will feel terrible.

Plus you should give a little more info about ur situation. Its a personal choice on your style

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
marth's range is misused if you are approaching aggressively. marth isnt fox, you dont just run at someone and nair. you try to get close enough to them that they try to attack you, but you want to stay just far enough away that they can't hit you. you use your sword's range as like a buffer between you and him. they have to run from one end of your sword to the other to hit you before you can hit them from the front end.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Marth has some of the most aggressive grabs in the game. The only one Id say even contends besides roy who sucks, is captain falcon.

Use grabs to be agressive. You can be agro and still keep your spacing. Just dont get too close and make them react out of nervous necessity.

Top Bottom