• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Marth has some of the most aggressive grabs in the game. The only one Id say even contends besides roy who sucks, is captain falcon.

Use grabs to be agressive. You can be agro and still keep your spacing. Just dont get too close and make them react out of nervous necessity.
actually, the order of grab range is marth roy sheik. i used to have a complete list, but HDD crashed and i lost it :(

MarthPwnzer-

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the info guys, and another thing, marths auto canceled nair, do I have to fast fall after the second slash immediately or just get it out quickly and fast fall as usual?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Ok so shiek has a better grab than falcon. That doesnt actually change my point or alter it in anyway. Marth still has extremely aggressive grabs and they can be use to be aggressive fairly safely. [but I will keep that in mind tho]

Also yea if ur down, and ur aggressive then there is probably a correlation between you playing and it not working. So then Id say calm down

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
^ isn't this always based on situation?

I think autocancelled nairs are more of a mindgame than a technical aspect of marth. Most people say by the ledge will try to dodge nair but if you just do the auto cancel they will dodge at the wrong time and get hit by it.

Thats just me though. that is what i use the ac nair for unless i'm just sh and DIing back to space better with nair

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Are autocancel nairs always better than SHFFL nairs?
Yeah. They're basically SHFFL'd except done quick enough so there is 3 frames less landing lag. >_> If you're shffling you're trying to do it as fast as possible anyway so LOL.

Binx

Smash Master
just do it early so you dont touch their shield at all,or touch it so they get pushed into the stage
You can't push them into the stage if they do it correctly, if you are far enough to where you have to sweetspot you die unless they mess up, if not you can go for the stage and then take the hit while they dor a nair off the ledge or whatever other attack. If you are high enough you can tap them with a forward b then double jump and swipe to make them get off the edge, then sweetspot since they wont have the time to set up the ledgehog again.

Or you could airdodge onto the ledge. I like to double jump and airdodge diagonally up so they don't expect it.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
question how do you fair to dair because the opponent usually goes to far out or too high up?????

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Yeah. They're basically SHFFL'd except done quick enough so there is 3 frames less landing lag. >_> If you're shffling you're trying to do it as fast as possible anyway so LOL.
No it isn't. If you think they are going to spot dodge you will want to delay it a bit to make sure both parts of the nair will land where their bodies are as well. Especially vs Fox/Falco delaying your nairs is important as you can shffl nair right over them without hitting them at all if you nair ASAP.

Also don't forget the fact that while there are 3 less frames, your also hitting a lot higher on the shield/body so you will be grabbed on the way down before you land. Auto-cancels are only good for retreating/tech chasing (high % to create edgegaurding) imo. In situations where your not expecting them to get close and shield it. Maybe passing through nairs are ok as well.

DJMirror

Smash Master
in marth vs Sheik match

what can marth do in this one?

I'm always getting wreck by sheik players and i have no idea what to do since they can get in my range so fast

nasir123

Smash Ace
hey man i am kinda new 2 melee and i know a lot of AT's plus i played with rayn ex a few times :) but i dun reallt understand the marth vs fox match up can u help..i know chain grab then u-tilt and then try to ken combo and i know that grabs are realy important so i need to know what is important to do in this match-up

Tero.

Smash Champion
hey man i am kinda new 2 melee and i know a lot of AT's plus i played with rayn ex a few times :) but i dun reallt understand the marth vs fox match up can u help..i know chain grab then u-tilt and then try to ken combo and i know that grabs are realy important so i need to know what is important to do in this match-up
Do stuff from grabs and edgeguard.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
hey man i am kinda new 2 melee and i know a lot of AT's plus i played with rayn ex a few times :) but i dun reallt understand the marth vs fox match up can u help..i know chain grab then u-tilt and then try to ken combo and i know that grabs are realy important so i need to know what is important to do in this match-up[/QUOTE

Yes up throws are going to be your bread and butter on this one. If you dont want the ken combo approach f smash after a up throw and tip it then edgeguard. for edgeguad if you want to get fancy forward b them get back to the ledge and they should be below you. You can spike or bair depending on how long you want to play around with this stock. Or you could simply bair them to death or anything you want. Remember marth is king of the edge and no1 can do anything about it. once that menace of a fox is off the stage that should be a stock.:chuckle:

HolyChef

Smash Ace
You can't push them into the stage if they do it correctly, if you are far enough to where you have to sweetspot you die unless they mess up, if not you can go for the stage and then take the hit while they dor a nair off the ledge or whatever other attack. If you are high enough you can tap them with a forward b then double jump and swipe to make them get off the edge, then sweetspot since they wont have the time to set up the ledgehog again.

Or you could airdodge onto the ledge. I like to double jump and airdodge diagonally up so they don't expect it.
This answer actually makes sense. Thanx for clearing this up.

Binx

Smash Master
question how do you fair to dair because the opponent usually goes to far out or too high up?????
Try and hit with the weak part of your fair OR the tip of your fair depending on percents, if they DI correctly though it's very difficult to get that dair spikes, sometimes its better to reverse upb since they are prolly DIing away to avoid the dair, or neutral b or another fair to edgeguard.

in marth vs Sheik match

what can marth do in this one?

I'm always getting wreck by sheik players and i have no idea what to do since they can get in my range so fast
The best way I found to learn this match up was to watch M2K's Marth vs Good sheiks, you basically want to zone the same way you would vs anyone else, her dash attack is so low to the ground though that it can get around certain fair spacings, so you need to be more careful, also she is hard to combo and you need to be really careful while edgeguarding. It's a really difficult match up, but its similar to how you would fight spacies.

This answer actually makes sense. Thanx for clearing this up.
Your very very welcome.

Getting grabbed by sheik with marth sucks but its not the end of the world. just your stock lol
Sheik gains a lot of momentum when she grabs Marth, because Marth really doesn't have any good options, you sort of get to pick what move you want to be hit by. Although I've rarely seen Sheik vs Marth combos for more than 30% if the Marth DIs well. From the grab itself anyways.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
So I was just messing with the idea, but let's say you uthrow a space animal and they don't DI.

I know you can do weak uair to forward smash, but wouldn't a pivotted forward smash work just as well, if not better?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I plan on going to tourneys REAL soon like in a few days. I would like some advice on how to train by myself none of my friends are free and i would like to no how some people train when they dont have people to train with.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I plan on going to tourneys REAL soon like in a few days. I would like some advice on how to train by myself none of my friends are free and i would like to no how some people train when they dont have people to train with.
Practice SHFFL-ing etc. Fluid movements across the stage...

Pivot grabs against computers.

All that junk.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
At lower percents you can DI up and get out of the grab. So why would you at higher percents be unable to escape another grab when you go up higher and it takes more time to regrab cuz of the height?

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
At lower percents you can DI up and get out of the grab. So why would you at higher percents be unable to escape another grab when you go up higher and it takes more time to regrab cuz of the height?
who said anything about chaingrabs at high%.

PS sheik can usmash you out of DI up at low%

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
who said anything about chaingrabs at high%.

PS sheik can usmash you out of DI up at low%
U were talking about if you get grabbed your only chance of survival was a platform. I assumed u meant because of Cg but I guess not. You should still be able to DI up at high % and escape a mistimed/read uair.

But who really cares if she can upsmash or not at low percents which she cant btw. At low percents its not gonna kill you. And if I was gonna do all that I would just wanna grab again.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
srry mid% not low%

also guys by high% i mean the % you get killed by fair or uair. there's no possible way to get out of it at high% unless there's a plat you can tech on.
My question to you would then be: "How good is your DI?" and from the middle of the stage, I dont know about you but im not dyin from the fair. So that percent is relative and is then different for ppl depending on their DI.

It would be helpful if you then gave an actual percent so I can judge knockback and understand a little better.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Ive noticed when shffl'ing sometimes my marth doesnt fastfall especially his nair is there a different timing for his nair to fastfall when the nair HITS the opponent because i can l cancel it just fine when it doesnt hit but what good is that

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
My question to you would then be: "How good is your DI?" and from the middle of the stage, I dont know about you but im not dyin from the fair. So that percent is relative and is then different for ppl depending on their DI.

It would be helpful if you then gave an actual percent so I can judge knockback and understand a little better.
130+ i'm pretty positive you die from the slap regardless of DI.

Cosmo's right, quit being super specific about it.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
130+ i'm pretty positive you die from the slap regardless of DI.

Cosmo's right, quit being super specific about it.
It mattered. plus you can live from a fair at 130 percent if you DI it. from the middle you can live at 150.

Im not sure about the u air percent

but the fair is just quick and has good knockback which can lead to sheiks gimps on marth and alot of ppl miss the DI

Top Bottom