• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this has been asked but, when someone is lightshielding against you and you HAVE to grab the ledge due to w/e reason, is there a way to beat that damn lightshield? i heard there is like one spot.. but wanted to know truth.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I'm not sure if this has been asked but, when someone is lightshielding against you and you HAVE to grab the ledge due to w/e reason, is there a way to beat that damn lightshield? i heard there is like one spot.. but wanted to know truth.
As far as I know, there is no way to beat it if they do it perfectly. However, if they aren't at the exact tip of the edge, don't angle their shield well, and don't do a large enough lightshield, then yes, there are angles where you can recover.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Anecdotely i say there is a sweetspot that works on the marthslayer (lightshield edgehog). Personally I have had someone do it to me recently and I manually perfect lightshield (using L, which allows a larger lightshield than Z) and was doing down and offstage angle with falco.

I would like a magus proof on this one though. Magus420 Magus Summoning Spell.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I heard Magus quit or something....I asked someone awhile ago about it and they said I was totally wrong but...I haven't seen him post in months....:(

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Anecdotely i say there is a sweetspot that works on the marthslayer (lightshield edgehog). Personally I have had someone do it to me recently and I manually perfect lightshield (using L, which allows a larger lightshield than Z) and was doing down and offstage angle with falco.

I would like a magus proof on this one though. Magus420 Magus Summoning Spell.
Yeah, I am definitely not positive if its a perfect edgeguard or not. Whenever I beat it, I just assume they ****ed up somehow. Even when it looked perfect...especially on Battlefield for some reason lol.

WTB Magus.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I'm pretty sure the horizontal upB (like Roy's) perfectly sweetspotted can beat most of the lightshield hogs. Not entirely sure against Falco/Fox but I have done it against them I believe.

Just intelligent upB placements can get you out of it. Learning to sweetspot the horizontal upb gives you a lot more space and manipulations to work with. One of the more effective ones is knowing the spacing that while it's not a sweetspot, allows you to upb and barely fall to grab the stage (basically using the Marth ledgegrab range, the skill mario/doc **** with). This helps a lot in Marth dittos where they try to space fsmash perfectly to the edge of the stage.

I find that with proper DI lightshield hogs are a rarity. So if it's happening to you a lot you may need to figure out how your ending up in that situation in the first place. If it's every once in a while, meh it happens.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Yeaaaaah. A little birdy in my ear told me to play Marth even though I had said repeatedly prior to starting that set that Axe would manhandle my Marth and that it would be a ******** decision because I hadn't been playing Marth all weekend. So of course I did it.

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
gues who's back........... back again......... Azen's back........ tell a friend...... AZEN'S back AZEN'S back AZEN'S back wow wow wow we've created a monster cause nobody wants to see mango no more they want azen well if you want azen this what ill give ya abit of f smash mixed with a tipper nobody owns PC quicker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71vMQjIHPSM proof

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Yeaaaaah. A little birdy in my ear told me to play Marth even though I had said repeatedly prior to starting that set that Axe would manhandle my Marth and that it would be a ******** decision because I hadn't been playing Marth all weekend. So of course I did it.
This is what happens when I'm not close enough to advice against your silly decisions

Everything I do, I do it big!

:troll:
Word Electric Boogaloo get that Cactuar pizza :) fun times at Pound 5 man hows that "NOT KOOLAID" taste

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I'm really like the Cactuar Avatar/Title combo at the moment. Makes me wish I was a mod again so I can pick Professor Xavier and have my title changed to Mindgames.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I'm entering a doubles tournament soon and I need some general tips on how to play Marth. I've never played doubles in tournament before and I have no idea what to expect. I know Marth isn't the best 2-1 character but that's pretty much it. What are some general tips? I'm thinking a good way to save my partner is Side-B/F-Air but idk I'm not a pro xD

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Hey guys I'm entering a doubles tournament soon and I need some general tips on how to play Marth. I've never played doubles in tournament before and I have no idea what to expect. I know Marth isn't the best 2-1 character but that's pretty much it. What are some general tips? I'm thinking a good way to save my partner is Side-B/F-Air but idk I'm not a pro xD
pick zelda and hold a before the match starts

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You sound like you have the right mindset going into teams. Its much less about comboing than teammates working together. If you get a hit on one of them and your partner is getting edge guarded, go save him instead of getting more hits (except like if you just started a ken combo, take the extra 1/2 second to kill that ***** then go save ur partner ASAP).

For more specific tips, you'd have to give more information like what character you are teaming with and what each of your playing styles are like. It might be a good idea to talk to your partner about strategy so you are in sync.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
You sound like you have the right mindset going into teams. Its much less about comboing than teammates working together. If you get a hit on one of them and your partner is getting edge guarded, go save him instead of getting more hits (except like if you just started a ken combo, take the extra 1/2 second to kill that ***** then go save ur partner ASAP).

For more specific tips, you'd have to give more information like what character you are teaming with and what each of your playing styles are like. It might be a good idea to talk to your partner about strategy so you are in sync.
well I'm more of an aggressive Marth. I tend to grab a lot and try to combo from those grabs. I enjoy approaching with N-Air/F-Air
basically I do general Marth stuff but aggressively.
My partner is more of a defensive player but he uses a lot of characters so I don't know which one he's gonna use mainly. I guess I'll need to adapt to each one

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well just remember not to get too aggressive. Generally you want your partner in such a position that if you happen to get hit, he can cover you to minimize punishment. But remember, teamwork is a two way road. You can't cross your partner up, so if he is in front of you, you can't just run past him. It might be good practice for you to switch roles with you playing defensive and him playing offensive so that you know what positions are more risky for the team overall.

Top Bottom