• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Twinkles

Smash Lord
it was nice while it lasted =/

EDIT: don't ban s2j over this, he needs to stay on and face me like a man lol

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Tarheel probably meant to put that in the Campbell thread but maybe clicked the wrong link or something, idk lol.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Binyun DIed all my dthrows up today as peach and I was too newbie to do that fhop nair crap even though I just looked at that post yesterday =[

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
hey guys what should i do about an extremely gay puff that likes to plank with bairs and only do that the whole match?

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
hey guys what should i do about an extremely gay puff that likes to plank with bairs and only do that the whole match?
You should be very patient and space with bairs and nairs. Trading is of course good for you, but you'll almost never trade with her bair, so it's whatever. Also, dthrow -> knee works like ... all the time, and uthrow -> uair works whenever dthrow -> knee doesn't work (hey, this may be a great time to test out uthrow -> FJ nair). NEVER miss grabs, or you will be rested. Grabs are good but she can duck them so only go for them when you KNOW she can't do anything about it. Also, getting rested out of badly-spaced dthrow -> knee is embarrassing. Tip the knee on her so that doesn't happen. Kneeing with the A-button also gets that hitbox out just a little bit earlier.

Also, you can counter his Pound-recovery with well-spaced knees and bairs. Obviously, don't get too greedy and go too far off the stage, but most Puffs just automatically Pound without even thinking about it and you can punish when they do. Stomping the Rising Pound is hilarious when they only have like 1 or 2 jumps left and can't do anything about it.

Recovery against Puff can be tricky. Either go really high or really low. High is usually better so you don't have to tech dsmash. DI down and away on everything. Don't let her get too close to your shield or you will get utilt/jab -> rested or grabbed. A lot of Puffs will train you to shield when they jump at you backwards because you're expecting a bair, then they just empty sh and land behind you and utilt or grab. Dash dance instead when possible to keep the threat of a bair or knee hanging over his head.

A strategy I have been wanting to try out is camping the top platform. Puff has terrible vertical mobility, so staying on the top platform and stomping whenever she gets near might be a feasible strategy. Anyone ever done this successfully?

Stay away from Dreamland for obvious reasons. Yoshi's Story, Stadium, and FD are all good choices. The MU really is pretty even. Puff is annoying for Falcon, but Falcon is pretty scary for Puff because she dies to the knee so low. Basically, don't run face-first into bairs, and you'll be fine. Just keep reminding yourself of that and camp like there's no tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

^ one method but i personally don't like outright camping or think u need it

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
i prefer not to camp as well lol does anyone think that full jump dair would work?
Edit: i kno the matchup fine and can consistently dthrow knee so thats not a problem i just need like a bait idea or something to expose her cause planking/camping is so wack

Hax

Smash Champion
if it's done right, nothing. this strategy needs to be banned

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
get the percent lead and make them come to u? Grab the ledge before they do and make them vulnerable and uair regrab or something even though vs jiggs on the ledge is scary as ****. That or talk **** to them the whole match and if someone actually does this in tourney act very unkindly to them for the rest of your life.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
if it's done right, nothing. this strategy needs to be banned
yeah it was so lame, nothing against the player hes a chill person irl but that strategy is beyond gay:c

How do you feel about a YL or Sheik secondary?
LOL

get the percent lead and make them come to u? Grab the ledge before they do and make them vulnerable and uair regrab or something even though vs jiggs on the ledge is scary as ****. That or talk **** to them the whole match and if someone actually does this in tourney act very unkindly to them for the rest of your life.
lol yeah dude approaching with them on the ledge really is scary, i guess if this ****ty situation happens ill just have to get some hits and retreat, as lame as it is. thanks for the advice tho

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
What am i supposed to do against Hbox since he is the only Puff in my region.
Falcon Punch and pray he walks into it? HBox is freaking good. I know he gets a bad rap for being "gay," but you can't argue with results.

Alternatively, ask him for help. I haven't met him in person, but I hear he's a chill guy irl.

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
Wizzy i try to implement a lot of instant uairs when hes in the air and if he starts running around low to the ground nair or stomp.

He crouches a **** ton bc he knows Falcons like to grab so u either have to grab him out of his shield or grab him if he whiffs a grab of his own.

Use your stomps to make him shield and tomahawk grab. If he doesnt shield then stomp and knee if he pops up or grab -> dthrow -> knee

Bair is also good u just have to keep mixing it up and run under him if he tries to wall u in. Dont jump out of shield a lot and dont try to go above him too often he knows thats the instinctual response to his type of pressure.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Wizzy i try to implement a lot of instant uairs when hes in the air and if he starts running around low to the ground nair or stomp.

He crouches a **** ton bc he knows Falcons like to grab so u either have to grab him out of his shield or grab him if he whiffs a grab of his own.

Use your stomps to make him shield and tomahawk grab. If he doesnt shield then stomp and knee if he pops up or grab -> dthrow -> knee

Bair is also good u just have to keep mixing it up and run under him if he tries to wall u in. Dont jump out of shield a lot and dont try to go above him too often he knows thats the instinctual response to his type of pressure.
Ok, thanks Gahtzu

Also, about the Falcon punch advice from ferrish the fish, I landed a falcon punch on HBox yesterday lol.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Hey guys, do you know what videos would be good to watch for learning Falcon dittos?

Also, if you have any tips on MU, feel free to share.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I think it's because every Falcon has his strengths. Hax is fast and has good spacing, Scar is also fast and gets crazy gimps (double knees and such), SS does crazy baiting and mind games, etc. What strikes me about Darkrain is something more simple than any of these--he is really good at dash dancing. In tight spaces, he does a really tight dash dance and manages to make the best out of difficult positions, then capitalizes whenever he can and does great bread and butter combos. This style really appeals to me.

As far as tips for Falcon dittos, I would say one good habit is to ledge guard with knee. If you **** around with utilt, ftilt, and bair, they have the chance of getting good DI and maybe making it with tricky recovery, making you screw up subsequent ledge guards. If you just knee them immediately, that's the stock. I remember seeing a set where Darkrain whomped on SS because of this.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
or it could be because he was the first falcon to give isai a beat down back in 05.
I agree. How many Falcons do you know who got their own combo named after themselves ... in a match against Isai? (DUNDUN, DUN. DUNDUN, DUN.)

Also, s2j, don't be shy. This match has great commentary on some of the intricacies of Falcon dittos, too.

I def do too much tilt-guards. I can't help it, they're just so trollish 8D

I suck at Falcon dittos, but if I had to give advice, I'd say "patience," "calculated risk-taking," and "playing to your strengths." If you're good at comboing, try to capitalize on that. If you are good from a neutral position, try to capitalize on that. Trying to majorly change your style is just going to work against you if you end up not going for things you are good at. Of course, none of that matters if you lack the patience to wait for good opportunities or the balls to take risks when necessary.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I mean, you didn't post your own Falcon dittos when you have some good ones. If you don't like "shy," then how about "modest?"

EDIT: LOL I'm a ******. Forget I said anything.

PS What do y'all think about Falcon dittos as a measure of skill? Reliable/unreliable? I just hate it when ppl say, "Oh, dittos tell you NOTHING about skill, it just tells you who's better at the ditto," as if you don't need skill to be better at the ditto--ignoring the fact that, by that logic, I could play a set with Armada, get wrecked, and still say, "Oh, he's just better at the MU, that set tells you NOTHING about our relative skill."

Twinkles

Smash Lord
alright, i got stuff for falcon v. falcon

someone tell me stuff about falcon v. ganon, how does falcon go in without getting faired, baired, uaired, or jabbed

D

Deleted member

I mean, you didn't post your own Falcon dittos when you have some good ones. If you don't like "shy," then how about "modest?"

EDIT: LOL I'm a ******. Forget I said anything.

PS What do y'all think about Falcon dittos as a measure of skill? Reliable/unreliable? I just hate it when ppl say, "Oh, dittos tell you NOTHING about skill, it just tells you who's better at the ditto," as if you don't need skill to be better at the ditto--ignoring the fact that, by that logic, I could play a set with Armada, get wrecked, and still say, "Oh, he's just better at the MU, that set tells you NOTHING about our relative skill."

what the hell are u talking about

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Twinkles wanted Falcon ditto vids and apparently Ferrish thought you'd post videos of yourself

I like Falcon dittos until the other person is as fast as me
Then they get really annoying

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
alright, i got stuff for falcon v. falcon

someone tell me stuff about falcon v. ganon, how does falcon go in without getting faired, baired, uaired, or jabbed
The only two scary things about Ganon are the fact that sh away -> fair/bair is a fantastic defensive option that beats pretty much everything Falcon has and the fact that he edgeguards Falcon really well with Tipman or FJ Wizard Foot spike (Ganon stomp is hard to meteor cancel but easy to tech). Beyond that, he's just a big, slow target that you can fake out with dash dances, empty sh, wavedash back, wavelands, moon/sticky walk, etc. and then combo to death. Bait him into fairing or wizard footing if he's impatient, you can dash-dance away from either and then counter. Edgeguard him with knees because it is funny. I personally think that every stage favors Falcon in this MU, but I'd stick to bigger stages against really good Ganons.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Retreating Fair is really not very scary if you're not being a ***** about spacing ... Ganon isn't fast enough to safely get away from your Nair if you're starting them close enough

The matchup is kinda a joke, I'm really mad I didn't put up a better fight vs Kage at ROM4 -_-

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Oh god, don't name it PoopChat, that's what the Midwest Social board was called for months and months. MUST REPRESS MEMORIES

Top Bottom