• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking down Ally.

-Ran

Smash Master
In order to critique yourself, you must know what is right. At least, that's my stance. So I've been looking at the move utilization of what Ally does in his matches and creating a spread sheet with the information. Obviously, the numbers don't tell the entire story, but they are a rather interesting guide which I've decided to share. Granted, I'm getting the most out of this since I'm watching Ally intently. Every move, every step that he's taking, and thinking as to why he did each thing.

So I've been watching Ally's recent set vs M2k...
In four matches:

Matches watched:
Match 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uJ8YQNtRMk
Match 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A47BhDKjP8I
Match 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aKQ1rh7aTM
Match 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97DyM1mWD10

Didn't add up the kills so ignore that. >>
Random thoughts on Ally:
-He typically only up-tilts if he has a grenade at his feet.
-He's been dairing a ton lately off the edge, and using it out of spot dodge.
-It seems that he conditions by air dodging at low percent so that he can get grabbed without his opponent shielding, and then uses bair to kill at a higher percent later.
-I forgot how much he dash+shields to control space.
-Ally doesn't do anything fancy with grenades. He mostly just tries to get grenades on the stage. If he's in the air and doing a grenade, it's mostly likely going to be a neutral toss upwards from the special move animation. He very rarely drops them out of shield/spot dodge. This is to keep his shield strength at full.
- Ally would sooner shield --> grenade, than shield --> grab. He does this to create separation, and a break in the string.
- Ally is INCREDIBLY careful with his f-tilt. He will never, ever blindly do the second hit of F-Tilt against shield, or even if he whiffs. This is for speed and safety. If his F-tilt misses, he'll normally casually walk away.
- Ally likes to soft grenade throw up [from special stance] and then full hop nair.
- Jab is used to snuff attacks at close range.
- He doesn't approach, even without the lead. He'll attempt to whittle down their percent with grenades.

Ally vs DEHF

Match 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYaRdg9k3T4 Won
Match 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv-zg3T3_hA&feature=related Lost
Match 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YewmcjhNdJ0&feature=related Won

- Ally likes to approach with a full hop B button soft throw, and then land and press grenade again. He can then either throw the second grenade, or drop it on the ground to prevent phantasms, or down throws.
- Ally's movement... He never runs, unless it's to shield dash right outside of someone's spacing to provoke them, or if he has a considerable distance to cover. Even then, he only dash grabbed once in all of the matches I've watched. He tends to 'wander' for lack of a better word around the battle field. When he's near his opponent and he doesn't like the situation, he'll literally walk away in no hurry at all.
- Ally was using d-tilt to isolate low phantasms.
- The lack of Dair usage comes from the fact that Falco can bounce out of it easily, and his spot dodge+ground punish game is too much to risk it. Also, Ally uses the multi-hitbox spam of Dair to have a 'shield' to save him from MK's aerials.

More later.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
This would go along really well with the matchup threads especially when you wanna know what moves are the most efficient in a matchup and whatnot.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
thats actually incredible, ran. i plan on watching the matches in the next few days and adding some of my observations.

Max113

Smash Apprentice
You know what I think could make this better? Commentary from the Ally himself... :p

etecoon

Smash Hero
ally's been exposed now though m2k gonna be on this **** insta quick
prolly nothing he doesn't already know, I remember before the first time they played I was watching some ally vids and noticed that M2K had commented on like...all of them, he youtube stalks anyone that's a threat to him lmao

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I think that Snake is versatile enough to be played more than one way. So if we break down some other top Snakes like Razer or Fatal I'm sure we'll see some disparities in the usage of the moves. (I'm betting way more Usmash from Razer).

-Ran

Smash Master
I actually feel I've learned a lot from you Ally, but I don't think that people are going to learn much from just reading the number of times that you are using attacks. The main reason I was able to count the number of moves, was because I was breaking down everything play-by-play style to check:
1) Move choice.
2) Move timing.
3) Movement.
4) Spacing, and thus how you arrived at all of the above.

I learned so much in terms of how you move, or rather WHY you move in the way you do. Most people are still stuck in the rut of thinking 'Tilt+Nades = Win.' However, watching you I realized how true the adage of 'put out as many hitboxes as you can' is. Snake needs grenades, c4, and so on to be on the stage at every possible time. Anytime Snake doesn't have one, his movement selection is one dimensional. It's akin to a G&W jumping into the air with their back to you. I'm realizing how crucial grenades and the spacing opportunities that they allow are.

RATED

Smash Lord
LOL ally , u know spanish? or it was just a few words that you know?

also; WOW at Ran Iji 0__0 you did a lot of job there :S but yeah I keep forgetting that there vacations now.( for me not)

-Ran

Smash Master
Two hours isn't a lot of time, considering I multitask. Frugality of time is the essence of life.

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
A fantastic read, this thread could potentially help people learn the Snake matchup AND how to play Snake by looking into the mindset of one of the world's best Snake players. I will personally be reading over this and experimenting to reap both sides of the benefit. Kudos.

Ally's 'get lots of hitboxes' everywhere playstyle kind of reminds me of my Wifi Ganon.

maybe this is just me but i feel like this info should not be posted. most people are too lazy to go ahead and do this themselves and i admire your conviction to advance snakes in general. habits tend to get you punished in smash as most good player know and capitalize on. Ally may not say anything but im pretty sure he doesn't really like this stuff posted. Hope i'm not overstepping my bounds.

Top Bottom