• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl vs. Melee Research Project

Vro

Smash Lord
I can't use google docs atm, but I will fill out the survey at a later time. I just have some important aspects to mention about the differences between Melee and Brawl.

On Sirlin's forum, a topic was created about the perfect fighting game (in the OP's mind). He wanted a low execution barrier, a variety of viable strategies, and the speed of the game to not be overwhelming/too fast. Execution barriers are not all sin, in that they actually tax the player's attention as well as, in the case of Smash, their DI or defensive abilities. Variety is excellent in providing freedom of choice, however in Sirlin's famous case of weighted RPS, a route of technical/aggressive efficiency is painted clearly when fighting against the common Falco; too many viable or all equal strategies that are apparent in Brawl degenerate into a camping/projectile fest. Lastly, the speed of game play affects what percentage of encounters can be won thru reaction only. Pressing the advantage is certainly not safe in Brawl when the defensive mechanics and slow pacing allow the defender to often turn the tables a stronger fold against the offense. In Melee the speed and technical tax offer a myriad of offensive mix-ups, making pressure a very viable strategy.

Also wavedashing and dash dancing are the best spacing tools, ever.

sorry if this stuff was in the survey. as i said before, will answer it when i can.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
When will we see the results?
I'm thinking in about a week or so. Because I want to reach as much of the smash community as possible (and other curious people) I think crafting my presentation into edutaining videos is best. Video making is hard and takes a lot of time, but hopefully I can be snappy about it.

^^about that, i remember the reason why i didn't like brawl as much is because i couldn't play it (with the intent of improving) without getting frustrated. i wonder if that's because the competitive "wall" just came a lot sooner; like a year later when i started improving at melee i got frustrated in the same way.

initially i blamed it on game mechanics, but it could've been my own problem too, and i could've been getting frustrated because the point where i was forced to start improving on my own came a lot quicker. (getting serious/dealing with johns/thinking about improvement all came a lot faster because the game was still very young)
I think being open minded like this and questioning why you react to either game the way you do is an important quality to have at this point.

A lot of us think we know what we know (about ourself or about Brawl/Melee). One of the things I want to point out is that the game design for Brawl/Melee is extremely complicated. Even making a simple statement is difficult.

If you haven't already, put this in Brawl General Discussion.
Yes, it's in the Brawl General Discussion.

out of curiosity, is this "experiment" for school or some sort of community (aside from Smash)?

also, is the conclusion going to focus more on the semantics and emotion used by both groups or evaluating the actual similarities/differences/elements of both games?
Not for school. I run a blog with a tiny community. My eventual goals are to design video games and other educational systems/software. So right now, I'm investigating how people independently educate themselves on very complex systems like Smash. I've done tons of research on my blog for years and now I'm tackling increasingly bigger projects.

The presentation will be 100% comprehensive covering semantics, understanding how our perceptions/raw skills shape our playstyles and in turn shape our opinions/emotions, and breaking down the similarities/differences of both games to an exact measurable science.

I can't use google docs atm, but I will fill out the survey at a later time. I just have some important aspects to mention about the differences between Melee and Brawl.

On Sirlin's forum, a topic was created about the perfect fighting game (in the OP's mind). He wanted a low execution barrier, a variety of viable strategies, and the speed of the game to not be overwhelming/too fast. Execution barriers are not all sin, in that they actually tax the player's attention as well as, in the case of Smash, their DI or defensive abilities. Variety is excellent in providing freedom of choice, however in Sirlin's famous case of weighted RPS, a route of technical/aggressive efficiency is painted clearly when fighting against the common Falco; too many viable or all equal strategies that are apparent in Brawl degenerate into a camping/projectile fest. Lastly, the speed of game play affects what percentage of encounters can be won thru reaction only. Pressing the advantage is certainly not safe in Brawl when the defensive mechanics and slow pacing allow the defender to often turn the tables a stronger fold against the offense. In Melee the speed and technical tax offer a myriad of offensive mix-ups, making pressure a very viable strategy.

Also wavedashing and dash dancing are the best spacing tools, ever.
That's a great topic. And it sounds like you have some great comments coming. Can you produce a link to that Sirlin thread?

And on another Sirlin like note, I've piggybacked off the work Sirlin has done with Yomi and other clarifying terms. I've already detailed a much more comprehensive system for all genre of games. Compared to his small paperback book (which I own and love) and his blog, I'm bringing a textbook worth of material and references.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
What's the difference between a complex and a deep game?

Also, ssb64 (just wanted to mention that)
I wanted to keep things fairly simple. So I didn't include a "both" category or a Smash64 option.

To answer your other question I can point you to this blog post I wrote. It's part of a series called "The Depth of Interplay." If you're not in the reading mood, I'll give you this quick and dirty answer.

The core of the video game medium is interactivity.
Games are systems with goals, which means there's also a winning and "losing" state.

Games are designed to challenge us and thus test our skills. Because the challenges are designed to functionally stop us (create a losing state), we can think of a game challenge as countering our skills/efforts.

Our ability to counter the counter back is what makes a game deep. Whether a game has a chain system of back and forth counters, or a simpler Rock Paper Scissors system, counters are what make a game deep.

At the same time, games are very complex. Complexities are individual bits of data. When we talk about depth (interplay/interactivity) we usually narrow our focus of complexities to any bit of data that's a part of the interactive system. So this means for smash, every character, every attack, every animation, sound, level, and every measurable quality of those elements.

Though it's true that we tend to compress all of these complexities or data into much more simple groups, they're still there and are very important.

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
Yup. Brawl players. Facebook smashers. Personal contacts. AllisBrawl'ers. Any and every kind of smasher I can find.
Depending if it's the general smash community, or the competitive smash community that you want, you may want to avoid just any source(the questions are catered to competitive players). Seems like facebook would just get people who know so little of the metagames and communities of either game.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
finished... and i wrote a freaking book in the process...

hope i helped =)

and i also hope you posted this somewhere in the brawl threads or all your feed back will be ridiculously bias lol

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Though it IS true that most of us here played Brawl and hated it. I played Brawl competitively then switched to Melee, so I can relate. We disliked Brawl so we went back to Melee. Simple as that.
When Sakurai gives you shallow gameplay* you GO BACK TO MELEE!

*Shallow gameplay being a reletive term here, cause brawl actually does have a good amount of depth, but melee's too good.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Of course I wasn't referring to any specific contributor.

And of course not all uses of curse words are derogatory. There are comments that are in the submitted answers. But I'm glad you cleared that up with such a incriminating follow up response. ;)
My post was in direct response to:
Not to give anything away too early, I can say that so far the rudest comments have come from heavy melee supporters. By rude I mean derogatory language such as cursing.

Food for thought.
;)

Velox

Smash Ace
KKK, I thought you were a geology major?

yeah, I'll do the survey though..

also, you didn't include enough in the blog about how much you **** with Kirby in melee <<

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
KKK, I thought you were a geology major?

yeah, I'll do the survey though..

also, you didn't include enough in the blog about how much you **** with Kirby in melee <<
Geology? Nah. My bro was doing a bit of that before he went all math.

lol. Melee Kirby huh? I have so few videos of me, I thought it would be harder to go back and cover that. I do mention my old Kirby in other areas of my blog.

BTW. I just released the first episode of Good Game; a web show with the first task of presenting all the information from the survey.

Check it out here. http://critical-gaming.squarespace.com/blog/2010/7/16/good-game-episode-1.html

It won't be too long before I have all the rest of the episodes and results covered, so hold on tight.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
That webisode seems biased toward Brawl. You pretty much took all the bad arguments for melee and against brawl and refuted them with really one-sided responses making melee supporters look bad in the video. I think if someone who didn't know about the scenes of each game saw the video they'd think melee players were all whiny jerks, and that brawl was just as good or better than melee in every way. I know bias elimination is very difficult, and you did an excellent job of covering your bias until the "mythbusting" segment. I agree with you on most of the points, it's your choice in bad anti-brawl/pro-melee points, and how you use them to make supporters of melee seem dumb that creates the bias.

The point I disagree with you on is this: Sakurai said he didn't like emphasis on winning and losing in an interview, so yes, he was making an attempt to level the playing field and lower the skill gap between good and bad players. http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=443 "mechanism of accidents occurring, balanced so that the game's progress and results falter easily" = tripping (possibly more) is in the game exclusively to mess up fair competition. I don't know how anyone can read that article and say otherwise. Oh well, perhaps you can use the article in your podcast if it's applicable, although looking at the direction you're going it, it may not be.

Now, I will say that he failed miserably with eliminating the whole "some players dominate others hopelessly" factor as Brawl is on MLG and really good players are still consistently way above bad ones. (I know this first hand, M2K is in my state XD) Brawl is tournament viable and all, I just vastly prefer melee because I find the mechanics a lot more interesting and enjoyable, which is from what in my opinion equates to more depth. But as sirlin points out in his essays about the value of simplicity in game design, you can still have legitimate, intense, worthwhile competition in things with less depth.

This is all of course just my opinion, I'm not trying to start a debate over which has more depth but rather pointing out the implications, and trying to help you out on your podcast. I couldn't put any of this in the "rant" section because I watched your video after I filled out the form XD.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
That webisode seems biased toward Brawl. You pretty much took all the bad arguments for melee and against brawl and refuted them with really one-sided responses making melee supporters look bad in the video. I think if someone who didn't know about the scenes of each game saw the video they'd think melee players were all whiny jerks, and that brawl was just as good or better than melee in every way. I know bias elimination is very difficult, and you did an excellent job of covering your bias until the "mythbusting" segment. I agree with you on most of the points, it's your choice in bad anti-brawl/pro-melee points, and how you use them to make supporters of melee seem dumb that creates the bias.

The point I disagree with you on is this: Sakurai said he didn't like emphasis on winning and losing in an interview, so yes, he was making an attempt to level the playing field and lower the skill gap between good and bad players. http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=443 "mechanism of accidents occurring, balanced so that the game's progress and results falter easily" = tripping (possibly more) is in the game exclusively to mess up fair competition. I don't know how anyone can read that article and say otherwise. Oh well, perhaps you can use the article in your podcast if it's applicable, although looking at the direction you're going it, it may not be.

Now, I will say that he failed miserably with eliminating the whole "some players dominate others hopelessly" factor as Brawl is on MLG and really good players are still consistently way above bad ones. (I know this first hand, M2K is in my state XD) Brawl is tournament viable and all, I just vastly prefer melee because I find the mechanics a lot more interesting and enjoyable, which is from what in my opinion equates to more depth. But as sirlin points out in his essays about the value of simplicity in game design, you can still have legitimate, intense, worthwhile competition in things with less depth.

This is all of course just my opinion, I'm not trying to start a debate over which has more depth but rather pointing out the implications, and trying to help you out on your podcast. I couldn't put any of this in the "rant" section because I watched your video after I filled out the form XD.
I wish I could +1 this post.

-Ran

Smash Master
I read the article. Most notably, you're referring to...

"The game I worked on, Smash Bros., is a fighting game, but keeping in mind such reasoning, I set out to make sure the game did not over-emphasize the notions of victory and defeat. I won't go into too much detail, but the game was built so that if a player is strong in combat, just doing the same thing over and over again won't guarantee they'll always win over their opponents. There is a mechanism of accidents occurring, balanced so that the game's progress and results falter easily. Whether you win or lose, you enjoy a hearty laugh, and move on to the next round. I think this makes quite a good game."

Worked on, past tense. The article is from 2003 He's referring to Melee, this was back in 2003. More so, he left Hal [the dev-group responsible for Brawl] in August of that year, while the article came from April. There was absolutely no progress or thought to the creation of Brawl at this time. Brawl's development would most likely have started during the creation of Sora which was in 2005. If anything, he's referring to the random items, move decay, potentially phantom hits, and most likely stage selection. If you remove the tournament level stages and look at the other half of the game, the stages we deem noncompetitive all have features on them that would fall into the description of 'Mechanisms of accidents.'

All of the above, we handle with our competitive rule list. The same is true in Brawl, and in fact some tournaments [Louisiana for example as a state] have tripping turned off. I would think, that you're trying to look into the article for an answer to why Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, but I don't think you're going to find it.

-

Also, Kirbykid you need to work on being more unbiased. You weren't disproving anything, you were being dismissive.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
@slartibartfast42, here we go.

Well, the topics that were gone over in that webisode (there will be more about each game) were the most common, reasonable ways people would argue against SSBB. When I come across someone who says they've played SSBB competitively, with or without bringing up their tournament record, they say they switch to SSBM for no other reasons but the ones kirbykid discussed (and some immature things I'm sure everyone is aware of).

I cannot detect bias in this webisode. It talked more about SSBB than SSBM, that's all. SSBB is the game getting the backlash, the main thing happening with arguments between these two games (and more immature things I'm sure everyone is aware of). Though I'm sure everyone just has different taste in their "more freedom" fighting games.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Yeah... I was definitely expecting it to be more objective and professional, but it kind of just did exactly what the Brawlers did in the debates: Take a pro-Melee argument, raise a half-argument against it, claim you won. Very clearly biased, and struck me as unfair.

Geist

Smash Master
I enjoyed the beginning - it was a good intro, but then things began to slide downhill from there. It started when the entire video became completely centered around melee player's 'myths'. Just the usage word itself makes the video feel like it was made in the defense of Brawl, not as an analyzation between the two games.
You didn't touch on the melee player's side of the arguments, which was disappointing. You practically took a condensed paragraph, sometimes taken out of context, confidently said 'myth busted' simply by refuting whatever the argument was and went along your merry way. I hope you revisit some of these arguments with less bias, or at least touch on some of the arguments that were in favor of Brawl.

Though I can generally agree with two of the three 'myths', it feels to me like you were misinterpreting the 'accident' debate.

Melee isn’t an accident or a fluke. Games aren’t created by accident... Though I doubt anyone could have anticipated exactly how far the community would push the game, I’m confident the developers knew about the potential.
While the advanced mechanics were intentional, and wavedashing was known during development, the goal while creating smash wasn't to create a game targeted to a competitive audience. I do agree with the unexpectedness of the Smash community becoming so strong and competitive, but it only became so after making over half the content in the game banned.

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
-Ran

I did not realize that. My mistake. I saw the 2008 post date at the top, which was when the essay was posted on N-sider, and assumed that that was also the date at which the article was written, which, looking back, is obviously wrong. However, his sentiments toward random events causing the outcome of the game to falter would presumably remained the same during the development of brawl, as evidenced by Brawl's mechanics, especially tripping.

Well, the topics that were gone over in that webisode (there will be more about each game) were the most common, reasonable ways people would argue against SSBB. When I come across someone who says they've played SSBB competitively, with or without bringing up their tournament record, they say they switch to SSBM for no other reasons but the ones kirbykid discussed (and some immature things I'm sure everyone is aware of).
I went to 5-6 Brawl tournaments in the first 8 months that it was released. I switched back to melee because I found the game to be more fun, especially when I realized that all the combos I was getting weren't remotely guaranteed, and that edgeguarding was pretty unfeasible a majority of the time. I realize that the Brawl metagame has improved since then, as when I entered yet another brawl tournament around 6-7 months ago, with some of the same players that I had played previously, the players were a lot better than they had been before. Blue Rouge, who is apparently 2nd-ish in my state (according to him recently at least) at brawl lives within 10 minutes of me, and I play him and even give him rides to events. I also go out of my way to go to tournaments with M2K (1st in my state at brawl). Having played/seen these two players, I definitely realize that they are very good and have respect for their skill. Brawl definitely has enough depth to be a tournament fighter.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I would definitely not use ANY of those reasons given in the video to explain why I went away from brawl, I simply use the fact that I don't like the removal/severe limiting of comboing, edgeguaring, shield pressuring, and various other mechanics from the game, which makes Brawl far less fun for me personally. I never target brawl's competitive value.

I cannot detect bias in this webisode. It talked more about SSBB than SSBM, that's all. SSBB is the game getting the backlash, the main thing happening with arguments between these two games (and more immature things I'm sure everyone is aware of). Though I'm sure everyone just has different taste in their "more freedom" fighting games.
If you can't detect bias it's because the bias in the video mirrors your personal bias. Melee gets backlash too. Every try to get someone to play melee and have them respond "Brawl actually has thinking and strategy, Melee is all tech skill" to you? Of course not because you obviously are a brawl player and wouldn't be trying to get someone to play melee. There is bias because you only expose the stupid and baseless anti-brawl arguments and don't expose the stupid and baseless anti-melee ones.

Also, lol @ your '"more freedom" fighting games'. That in and of itself is a very basic, immature and flawed description of the smash series in my opinion. I play Guilty Gear and Soul Calibur, and both of those games feel pretty free to me. But that's not what we're arguing, and it is something that I've heard before, which is why I suppose you use quotes.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
-Ran

I did not realize that. My mistake. I saw the 2008 post date at the top, which was when the essay was posted on N-sider, and assumed that that was also the date at which the article was written, which, looking back, is obviously wrong. However, his sentiments toward random events causing the outcome of the game to falter would presumably remained the same during the development of brawl, as evidenced by Brawl's mechanics, especially tripping.

I went to 5-6 Brawl tournaments in the first 8 months that it was released. I switched back to melee because I found the game to be more fun, especially when I realized that all the combos I was getting weren't remotely guaranteed, and that edgeguarding was pretty unfeasible a majority of the time. I realize that the Brawl metagame has improved since then, as when I entered yet another brawl tournament around 6-7 months ago, with some of the same players that I had played previously, the players were a lot better than they had been before. Blue Rouge, who is apparently 2nd-ish in my state (according to him recently at least) at brawl lives within 10 minutes of me, and I play him and even give him rides to events. I also go out of my way to go to tournaments with M2K (1st in my state at brawl). Having played/seen these two players, I definitely realize that they are very good and have respect for their skill. Brawl definitely has enough depth to be a tournament fighter.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I would definitely not use ANY of those reasons given in the video to explain why I went away from brawl, I simply use the fact that I don't like the removal/severe limiting of comboing, edgeguaring, shield pressuring, and various other mechanics from the game, which makes Brawl far less fun for me personally. I never target brawl's competitive value.

If you can't detect bias it's because the bias in the video mirrors your personal bias. Melee gets backlash too. Every try to get someone to play melee and have them respond "Brawl actually has thinking and strategy, Melee is all tech skill" to you? Of course not because you obviously are a brawl player and wouldn't be trying to get someone to play melee. There is bias because you only expose the stupid and baseless anti-brawl arguments and don't expose the stupid and baseless anti-melee ones.

Also, lol @ your '"more freedom" fighting games'. That in and of itself is a very basic, immature and flawed description of the smash series in my opinion. I play Guilty Gear and Soul Calibur, and both of those games feel pretty free to me. But that's not what we're arguing, and it is something that I've heard before, which is why I suppose you use quotes.
I did not refer to any SSBB > SSBM arguments because not only are they just as blantant, but they are irrelevant here. Kirbykid hasn't discussed them yet. Why? Well, it's his project.

Remember, this is only the first webisode. More to come for each game, please wait.

Sorry, but there's no argument here if you want to use the Opinion Gun on me.

A lot of the myths that were "busted" were too extreme.

It's not that Brawl isn't competitive. He was right, any game can be competitive. However, the real argument is that it's LESS competitive than melee.

etc, etc.

As previously said, you also represented the Brawl community as a victim of some sort, even though the melee community is just as much "victims" are they are.

The whole video just seemed one-sided.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer

I want to say that I appreciate all the feedback on this thread. I'm trying to address each point, so if I don't specifically address a comment here, know that I've read it and am working on some kind of response.

I felt that those arugments/statements were "bad" as you say. But I also felt that they have nothing to do with what either Brawl or Melee is. Genre classification and the old "uncompetitive" angle are supposed to be extreme statements that are easy to see why they fall apart. The bottom line is, both have to do with language. As an English major I deal a lot with very specific language. So sometimes it'll be easy to bust a statement even though it may have more accurate, honorable, or complex intentions behind them.

And I kept all the name anonymous. If you assume that a lot of melee supporters make those statements, that's probably your bias. Some people really like both games a lot and still made statements like the ones from the video.

And yes, based on the results I got there are far more attacks against Brawl (like the ones addressed in the video) than against melee. So I just wanted to start things off easy and get those out of the way.

Also, Kirbykid you need to work on being more unbiased. You weren't disproving anything, you were being dismissive.
I address the genre classification system as it applies to all fields. I said you can call it a party game if you want, but that's not the most accurate classification. I said Brawl is very similar to melee, so it doesn't make much sense to call one a party game and not the other. If you call that dismissive, then you should explain how much more I could have addressed that myth.

The same with myth 1.2. It's really a simple concept. If you think there are other deeper issues behind a myth like "brawl is an uncompetitive game" then there is exactly where I see a problem. People tend to communicate or try to communicate a lot of meaning in a little statement. The statement means what it states. I addressed the issue that players bring the competition. Anything else that not explicitly stated will most likely come up in a later video.

Yeah... I was definitely expecting it to be more objective and professional, but it kind of just did exactly what the Brawlers did in the debates: Take a pro-Melee argument, raise a half-argument against it, claim you won. Very clearly biased, and struck me as unfair.
I'm starting slow. Besides, as I've said above these arguments were really pro-Melee. They were strictly anti-brawl. There was no attempt to make a comparative analysis. Plus, they were obviously extreme, yet obviously necessary to address because of how frequently they appeared in the responses.

Also, like I explained before, I didn't raise a half-argument on myths 1.1 and 1.2. These first myths are mainly language issues involving genre classification, where the competitive spirit comes from, and design intentionality.

Just the usage word itself makes the video feel like it was made in the defense of Brawl, not as an analyzation between the two games.
You didn't touch on the melee player's side of the arguments, which was disappointing. You practically took a condensed paragraph, sometimes taken out of context, confidently said 'myth busted' simply by refuting whatever the argument was and went along your merry way. I hope you revisit some of these arguments with less bias, or at least touch on some of the arguments that were in favor of Brawl.

Though I can generally agree with two of the three 'myths', it feels to me like you were misinterpreting the 'accident' debate.

While the advanced mechanics were intentional, and wavedashing was known during development, the goal while creating smash wasn't to create a game targeted to a competitive audience. I do agree with the unexpectedness of the Smash community becoming so strong and competitive, but it only became so after making over half the content in the game banned.
There isn't a Brawl side and a Melee side of the argument. I preset the ideas anonymously and address the concepts directly. I didn't think these first 3 myths were strong arguments at all. I don't think there's anything left to revisit with these myths (except the bulk of the 3rd myth that I left to bring back up in later episodes).

1) I don't think the goal of Melee was to create a non-competitive game meaning one that people can't practice at to get better. And even if it was (like I stated in the video) authorial intent doesn't matter.

2) All long lasting competitive communities tweak, remove, and add rules to their competitions. This is nothing special for Smash. So what if we've removed items and lots of stages. Also, we've been taking Melee competitively since 2002 playing free for alls with items. Just because that style of play didn't last, don't mean that the game was any less competitive when back in the day.

3) Smash is a game that appeals to a huge range of people. Some love Giant melee. Some love invisible melee. Some love (like me) single button melee. A lot of content was put into the game for people who like to "goof off" (no offense to that kind of play) and for people who want to compete.

None of this was an accident.

I found the tone of the video to be pretty condescending. Pointing out those 3 supposed "myths", and throwing out very basic rebuttals to them, as if none of the people who had made those arguments had either considered them, and then asserting that those "myths" had been busted during those 1 minute (each) rebuttals. I hope that the next few videos are less subjective, I had high hopes for the survey.

By the way, I don't particularly agree with the 3 "myths" presented. They sound very similar to the more common, far more reasonable arguments which more people likely submitted.
Again, read what I've said above. I've explained that my rebuttals aren't basic. The initial arguments are pretty simple. Also, they ready don't address game design so I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it.

When we only had melee, we spent a lot of time fighting to convince the world that it's a legitimate fighting game experience. What's sad is there are many (brawl and melee supporters) that claim Brawl is a party game. After spending so long fighting that fight, now we turn around and harm our own community.

Don't worry though. Things are going to get a lot more objective from here. You'll get numbers. You'll get data. And you'll even have to use a bit of math logic.

Kirbykid hasn't discussed them yet. Why? Well, it's his project.

Remember, this is only the first webisode. More to come for each game, please wait.
Very true. I'm just getting started. I had to spend a lot of time working on the format. Naturally, there's a lot of things to say but not a lot of time. Besides youtubes 10m cut off, producing video is very time consuming. The idea is to present the information in a condensed fashion and then provide links to more detailed information.

Getting the first episode out the door was rough. Believe that the next episodes will be a lot smoother and a lot more interesting. If anyone wants to contribute more let me know. I might even do simpler follow up based on these forum conversations.

A lot of the myths that were "busted" were too extreme.

It's not that Brawl isn't competitive. He was right, any game can be competitive. However, the real argument is that it's LESS competitive than melee.

As previously said, you also represented the Brawl community as a victim of some sort, even though the melee community is just as much "victims" are they are.

The whole video just seemed one-sided.
I don't think you'll have an easy time measuring the competitive spirit of Brawl vs Melee gamers. So when you say "LESS competitive" you probably mean something much more complex/deep. Part of the reasons I busted the whole "competitive game" language is because it doesn't work. If you mean something else, I'll try to get you the language to explain what you mean exactly.

Just give me a bit of time. For now, I hope you can see that saying a game is "not" competitive or even "LESS" competitive doesn't say much.

Geist

Smash Master
There isn't a Brawl side and a Melee side of the argument. I preset the ideas anonymously and address the concepts directly. I didn't think these first 3 myths were strong arguments at all. I don't think there's anything left to revisit with these myths (except the bulk of the 3rd myth that I left to bring back up in later episodes).
First of all, let me say thanks for directly responding to my bawwwwing.
After reading this and watching the video a second time, I can say I understand where you're coming from, but I want to say now that all 3 arguments could have easily been directed at Melee as well as Brawl, because like you said, many people outside the smash community have already accused melee of the exact same arguments. Or if you had mentioned your intentions beforehand it would have sounded less Brawl focused to me, intentional or unintentional.

1) I don't think the goal of Melee was to create a non-competitive game meaning one that people can't practice at to get better. And even if it was (like I stated in the video) authorial intent doesn't matter.

2) All long lasting competitive communities tweak, remove, and add rules to their competitions. This is nothing special for Smash. So what if we've removed items and lots of stages. Also, we've been taking Melee competitively since 2002 playing free for alls with items. Just because that style of play didn't last, don't mean that the game was any less competitive when back in the day.

3) Smash is a game that appeals to a huge range of people. Some love Giant melee. Some love invisible melee. Some love (like me) single button melee. A lot of content was put into the game for people who like to "goof off" (no offense to that kind of play) and for people who want to compete.
It feels to me like we have different definitions for the same thing, or perhaps the same definition for a different thing.
While I agree it wasn't their intent to make a non-competitive game, it was mentioned by Sakurai that there was an intent to make a game that didn't emphasize on winning in comparison to other games.
Though many communities tweak rules, there are none that go to the extremes of the smash community. It's an isolated case, and it's one of the many reasons other communities frown upon smash (not that I really care).
I might think this for the same reasons you highlighted in paragraph 3 - that there is just absolutely so much content, yet such a small fraction is deemed 'appropriate' for competition.
I don't know whether that small fraction was intended to appeal for competitive players or not, and there really isn't any way of telling now.

Blah blah blah, basically what I'm uneffectively trying to say is that there is no way developers could have predicted smash being played how it is today when they made it. Obviously they didn't go 'oops wavedashing is the best spacing tool ever haha who knew', and they didn't just wake up one day to find pressing L decreased landing lag by half. No matter how much they were aware of its inherent depth during development, they wouldn't have predicted the way players took their mechanics and made it their own.

I didn't mean to type that much, ugh.
Either way I hope you at least understand where I'm coming from. I don't think this is going anywhere, since we're pretty much arguing the same point of view with different words for it.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
First of all, let me say thanks for directly responding to my bawwwwing.
After reading this and watching the video a second time, I can say I understand where you're coming from, but I want to say now that all 3 arguments could have easily been directed at Melee as well as Brawl, because like you said, many people outside the smash community have already accused melee of the exact same arguments. Or if you had mentioned your intentions beforehand it would have sounded less Brawl focused to me, intentional or unintentional.

It feels to me like we have different definitions for the same thing, or perhaps the same definition for a different thing.
While I agree it wasn't their intent to make a non-competitive game, it was mentioned by Sakurai that there was an intent to make a game that didn't emphasize on winning in comparison to other games.
Though many communities tweak rules, there are none that go to the extremes of the smash community. It's an isolated case, and it's one of the many reasons other communities frown upon smash (not that I really care).
I might think this for the same reasons you highlighted in paragraph 3 - that there is just absolutely so much content, yet such a small fraction is deemed 'appropriate' for competition.
I don't know whether that small fraction was intended to appeal for competitive players or not, and there really isn't any way of telling now.

Blah blah blah, basically what I'm uneffectively trying to say is that there is no way developers could have predicted smash being played how it is today when they made it. Obviously they didn't go 'oops wavedashing is the best spacing tool ever haha who knew', and they didn't just wake up one day to find pressing L decreased landing lag by half. No matter how much they were aware of its inherent depth during development, they wouldn't have predicted the way players took their mechanics and made it their own.

I didn't mean to type that much, ugh.
Either way I hope you at least understand where I'm coming from. I don't think this is going anywhere, since we're pretty much arguing the same point of view with different words for it.
I think we've reach an understanding /common ground on this issue. I know exactly what you're saying and agree for the most part. I'm glad we got to this point because it's helping me structure future episodes.

As far as the "no other community tweaks as much as Smash," just off the top of my head I think of Halo 3. Not only does MLG have their own rules, but Bungie helps support their tweaks with MLG specific match making. And in these MLG matches, they tweak their own weapons, spawn rates, and other factors. Heck, they've even created their own variant of forge ( the level where you can make your own level pretty much). With smash we've haven't gone as far as making up our own levels or specific game types. We play pretty straight up.

GG

Geist

Smash Master
With smash we've haven't gone as far as making up our own levels or specific game types. We play pretty straight up.

GG
I think we would if we could ;]
I have my head buried in fighting games, I forgot about Halo 3.

Looking forward to the rest of the webisodes.

Jane

Smash Hero
kirby kid, good ****ing **** man.

i saw the video, then went immediately to the last page, saw some negative responses to your video and started to doubt you. but then your rebuttal made me realize your intentions.

10/10 sir, i cannot wait for the rest of them!

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

THeDarKnesS

Smash Journeyman
Yea, I bet alot of these answers will be unhelpful due to how much melee players loathe the game of brawl in a sense of it not being tight in any way compared to melee.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
A melee/brawl dispute ending in a peaceful, mutual agreement? What? This day will go down in history XD

PS, I kinda see where you're coming from on the whole bias thing. It's still a bit biased in my opinion, but it doesn't seem as bad upon hearing your rebuttal, and complete bias elimination is impossible anyways, so I guess I will have to deal with it.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm working hard filming episode 2 today. I should have it out late tonight.

Still, though everyone here might already know the info, I made a followup video to episode 1.

Check it out. Don't forget to subscribe.

GOOD GAME EPISODE 1 FOLLOW UP

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I just wanted to say some stuff about GG ep1 (I haven't watched/heard the follow up yet because I am currently at my internship, and I don't have the luxury of using volume, lol) myths.

@1.2: I'm in agreement with this. Every game is designed to be competitive to at least SOME degree by nature. If it wasn't, there'd be no fun in playing a game. People like to cheat and hack, yes, but that oftentimes ruins the fun of a game. To those who enjoy hacking/cheating, if they personally create/find the cheats/hacks, they find the challenge there, but for the people who just leech, it's in their nature that they just take the easy way out.

@1.3: Brawl wasn't intended to be competitive like Melee was. I don't know what you meant by "this myth is loaded," but you seem to fail to address all the parts of the issue. I'll assume by "loaded" you mean there's a lot of things to debate.

First off, you mention the "Brawl wasn't intended to be more competitive" but your presentation of the fact that it's an actual fact (you actually barely reference the fact that it's true) seems like you're just brushing it off, and your tone seems to detract from that.

I'll agree with the accident/fluke thing you talk about. Wavedashing was an abuse of physics in the game engine, but the game designers caught it early on but decided to leave it in there. And I'm pretty sure that L-canceling/Z-canceling was intended, IIRC.

@1.1: Why 1.1 last? Well, this is actually an incomplete rebuttal. My point would be that Brawl is both a fighting and a party game, but Melee is, too, to be technical (c'mon; we're FIGHTING in both games, and, even in Melee, we still have doubles and thus two parties are present! :D). The problem would be that Brawl is more party-oriented than competitive/fighting-oriented than Melee. However, I can't rebut your argument without your "next 3 webisodes" because they'll be going into the analysis.

The reason I put this in a collapse is because you should only read it if you want to; I don't know how much of it is relevant after your "follow-up" and so close to your second webisode, lol. Sorry for my maybe-irrelevant late reply! :D

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
@1.3
Do game development studios have cultural differences in Japan rather than America?
I think that should be looked into.
Authorial latent(If I'm typing this right) could mean a LOT more in Japan, so that could be the difference between the myth being a myth or fact.
I know you took part in playtesting, but Nintendo may have a lot more going on in japan that you should examine. Not to mention, NOJ is notorious for being secretive IIRC.

I think it's too soon to call 1.3 a myth since we don't have this information yet, and this could be important to our understanding of development in other cultures.

Edit: http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=637
Have you read this old,old,OLD article??

Top Bottom