• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl vs. Melee Research Project

joeplicate

Smash Master
oh i just realized this is THE krazy kirby kid

famous discoverer of light-shield edgehog
name dropped by omnigamer in an old MLG video

(not reading through the arguments)

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
GOOD GAME EPISODE 2

oh i just realized this is THE krazy kirby kid

famous discoverer of light-shield edgehog
name dropped by omnigamer in an old MLG video
OMG it's me! I hope those other KirbyKids have learned to hide their faces when I show up! :laugh:

@1.3
Do game development studios have cultural differences in Japan rather than America?
I think that should be looked into.
Authorial latent(If I'm typing this right) could mean a LOT more in Japan, so that could be the difference between the myth being a myth or fact.
I know you took part in playtesting, but Nintendo may have a lot more going on in japan that you should examine. Not to mention, NOJ is notorious for being secretive IIRC.

I think it's too soon to call 1.3 a myth since we don't have this information yet, and this could be important to our understanding of development in other cultures.

Edit: http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=637
Have you read this old,old,OLD article??
Authorial Intent. Sorry if I didn't enunciate well enough.

You bring up an interesting point about the differences in Japanese and American cultures or viewpoints. I studied Japanese in college and know a bit about their culture. But, the issue of authorial intent is mainly a universal/human one. Basically, at the end of the day you have a choice on who to believe. You can either listen to the cook that tells you you're eating a salty piece of meat, or you can taste the food for yourself. If it tastes like a sweet piece of cake, then what does it matter what the cook says?

If you really want to examine the issue very closely, we'd have to consider some psychology, neuroscience, and Japanese-American-Nintendo business/company structures to fully grasp all the hands/factors that had a part in making Brawl. I don't even think it's possible to get that kind of info on Sakurai and Nintendo.

Furthermore, because the quality of being "competitive" is highly subjective, I don't think a case can be built to prove that Brawl was intentionally designed to be uncompetitive. In other words, if you agree that myth 1.2 is busted, then that technically busts a small but critical part of myth 1.3.

I'm more than willing to have a discussion on Japanese culture in how it relates to Nintendo game development though.

BTW, that article that you linked to is very interesting. I'd like to see the original Japanese.

I just wanted to say some stuff about GG ep1 (I haven't watched/heard the follow up yet because I am currently at my internship, and I don't have the luxury of using volume, lol) myths.

@1.2: I'm in agreement with this. Every game is designed to be competitive to at least SOME degree by nature. If it wasn't, there'd be no fun in playing a game. People like to cheat and hack, yes, but that oftentimes ruins the fun of a game. To those who enjoy hacking/cheating, if they personally create/find the cheats/hacks, they find the challenge there, but for the people who just leech, it's in their nature that they just take the easy way out.

@1.3: Brawl wasn't intended to be competitive like Melee was. I don't know what you meant by "this myth is loaded," but you seem to fail to address all the parts of the issue. I'll assume by "loaded" you mean there's a lot of things to debate.

First off, you mention the "Brawl wasn't intended to be more competitive" but your presentation of the fact that it's an actual fact (you actually barely reference the fact that it's true) seems like you're just brushing it off, and your tone seems to detract from that.

I'll agree with the accident/fluke thing you talk about. Wavedashing was an abuse of physics in the game engine, but the game designers caught it early on but decided to leave it in there. And I'm pretty sure that L-canceling/Z-canceling was intended, IIRC.

@1.1: Why 1.1 last? Well, this is actually an incomplete rebuttal. My point would be that Brawl is both a fighting and a party game, but Melee is, too, to be technical (c'mon; we're FIGHTING in both games, and, even in Melee, we still have doubles and thus two parties are present! :D). The problem would be that Brawl is more party-oriented than competitive/fighting-oriented than Melee. However, I can't rebut your argument without your "next 3 webisodes" because they'll be going into the analysis.

The reason I put this in a collapse is because you should only read it if you want to; I don't know how much of it is relevant after your "follow-up" and so close to your second webisode, lol. Sorry for my maybe-irrelevant late reply! :D
By loaded I meant that it's going to take a lot of work to answer it. I plan on revisiting that myth toward the end of the video series.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
did it
i'm going to make the prediction here that melee players who take this seriously will seem very intelligent and knowledgeable about both melee and brawl, while brawl players will mostly make generalizations such as "melee is all tech skill, i prefer to think!!" or that Fox is more broken than MetaKnight.
exactly what we were all thinking.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Brawl isn't any less competitive than Melee; it's just that at a competitive level of play, it's gay and boring lol.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So I'm watching the video, and you start talking about tech skill. As you introduce the topic, I'm thinking to myself "I hope he doesn't try to argue that Brawl and Melee require the same amount of tech skill."
...meh.

I wouldn't mind if I had felt like there was new or legitimate points being made, but to me it felt like a desperate, biased attempt to say Brawl and Melee somehow require equal amounts of tech skill.

All of what I'm going to say is speaking strictly on terms of technical difficulty. Applying the techniques in match is a different thing that I don't want to get into yet.

I get your point that there are some techniques in Brawl that require fast button pressing. My issue is that the examples you gave either weren't used at a high level of play, or required little to no timing. I don't agree when you say button mashing requires any kind of tech skill. I felt like one of your big points here was that some Brawl characters have button mashing moves. However, these are not necessary at a tournament level, and are not difficult to perform. Not to mention that there are just as many button mashing moves in Melee, so I really don't see how this can be used as a point one way or the other.

I mean... sure, looping four arrows is difficult, but is that ever necessary to do? I think that's an important question, because in either Smash game I can easily invent some ridiculously difficult task to do, but that doesn't matter because it doesn't serve a real purpose.

I would like the Brawlers to make an APM thread to really make a legitimate challenge here. I mean, if you go to the Melee APM thread (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234508), you'll see that Peach and Samus - two characters you did not mention in your list of technically difficult characters - can call for a higher APM than Falcon - a character you did mention.

On a more personal level, I used to main Diddy in Brawl. My close friend used to main Metaknight. Both of us agree that there were no necessary techniques these characters used that were technically difficult. A big reason for this is Brawl's buffer system. Brawl's buffer system allows for a large margin of error, and takes away from the speed and timing needed to perform some techniques. DACUS and glide tossing are ridiculously easy to perform, especially because of the buffer. Honestly, if Melee and Brawl were the same game and the only difference was buffer, wouldn't you agree that the game without buffer had to be more technically difficult? So to say that the two games call for the same level of technical ability is like saying that without buffer, Brawl would be more difficult than Melee. I don't think so, and 95-99% of the survey takers don't think so either.

A better, less biased argument to make would be that only some Brawl characters call for a high level of tech skill - not that only some Melee characters require high tech skill. There are some character specific techniques that are technically difficult in Brawl. There are few universal techniques. In Melee, there are a lot of character specific and universal techniques that are technically difficult without the aid of a buffer system.

I don't mean to undermine your work here, but I still feel like there is a massive bias here.

To wrap up my point:
Do both games require technical skill to perform well in? Yes. Does one game require a higher level of technical skill? Yes. Is it Brawl? Absolutely not.

Holy **** that came out longer than I was expecting. Also, I'm sorry if I missed something important and said something stupid. It's 4:32 AM as I type this.

Jane

Smash Hero
To wrap up my point:
Do both games require technical skill to perform well in? Yes. Does one game require a higher level of technical skill? Yes. Is it Brawl? Absolutely not.
i agree.

also, kirbykid, i felt like you didnt even pay mind to wavedashing/landing, which basically all characters in melee are required to do at high levels, and is a huge contribution to why melee tech skill takes so much more skill than brawl tech skill.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
i agree.

also, kirbykid, i felt like you didnt even pay mind to wavedashing/landing, which basically all characters in melee are required to do at high levels, and is a huge contribution to why melee tech skill takes so much more skill than brawl tech skill.
Also l-canceling. Which would be much easier if it were in Brawl. Thanks, buffer.

Again, this isn't even going into how difficult it is to apply this tech skill in a meaningful way.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
So I'm watching the video, and you start talking about tech skill. As you introduce the topic, I'm thinking to myself "I hope he doesn't try to argue that Brawl and Melee require the same amount of tech skill."
...meh.

I wouldn't mind if I had felt like there was new or legitimate points being made, but to me it felt like a desperate, biased attempt to say Brawl and Melee somehow require equal amounts of tech skill.

All of what I'm going to say is speaking strictly on terms of technical difficulty. Applying the techniques in match is a different thing that I don't want to get into yet.

I get your point that there are some techniques in Brawl that require fast button pressing. My issue is that the examples you gave either weren't used at a high level of play, or required little to no timing. I don't agree when you say button mashing requires any kind of tech skill. I felt like one of your big points here was that some Brawl characters have button mashing moves. However, these are not necessary at a tournament level, and are not difficult to perform. Not to mention that there are just as many button mashing moves in Melee, so I really don't see how this can be used as a point one way or the other.

I mean... sure, looping four arrows is difficult, but is that ever necessary to do? I think that's an important question, because in either Smash game I can easily invent some ridiculously difficult task to do, but that doesn't matter because it doesn't serve a real purpose.

I would like the Brawlers to make an APM thread to really make a legitimate challenge here. I mean, if you go to the Melee APM thread (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234508), you'll see that Peach and Samus - two characters you did not mention in your list of technically difficult characters - can call for a higher APM than Falcon - a character you did mention.

On a more personal level, I used to main Diddy in Brawl. My close friend used to main Metaknight. Both of us agree that there were no necessary techniques these characters used that were technically difficult. A big reason for this is Brawl's buffer system. Brawl's buffer system allows for a large margin of error, and takes away from the speed and timing needed to perform some techniques. DACUS and glide tossing are ridiculously easy to perform, especially because of the buffer. Honestly, if Melee and Brawl were the same game and the only difference was buffer, wouldn't you agree that the game without buffer had to be more technically difficult? So to say that the two games call for the same level of technical ability is like saying that without buffer, Brawl would be more difficult than Melee. I don't think so, and 95-99% of the survey takers don't think so either.

A better, less biased argument to make would be that only some Brawl characters call for a high level of tech skill - not that only some Melee characters require high tech skill. There are some character specific techniques that are technically difficult in Brawl. There are few universal techniques. In Melee, there are a lot of character specific and universal techniques that are technically difficult without the aid of a buffer system.

I don't mean to undermine your work here, but I still feel like there is a massive bias here.

To wrap up my point:

Holy **** that came out longer than I was expecting. Also, I'm sorry if I missed something important and said something stupid. It's 4:32 AM as I type this.
First of all, thanks for watching the video and taking time to respond in detail.

Secondly, there are two things that you have to keep in mind when watching these videos. 1) I don't have a lot of time because of youtube. Did you noticed that episode 2 part 1 went over 10 minutes. I actually had to cut a scene.
2) I couldn't mention everything even if I wanted to. So the idea is, rather than get bogged down with a bunch of details, I want to outline the entire design structure of smash according to skill, depth, complexity, and balance and then go back to zoom in for the very specific points. Perhaps I should make this more clear?

So here's the problem I have with your response. You (probably unintentionally) combined a lot of different concepts/topics/categories to make your arguments, which makes things very complicated. And the issue is already complicated enough.

Think about it this way, you could argue that no AT is "necessary." But the point is, we chose to look at what I call "high level play." What does this mean exactly? That's hard to say or pin down. Typically, it involves an intelligent, conservative, and precise use of ATs and strategies. So already we're working in a bit of a grey area.

Also, (as I've bolded above) you've merged the concepts of dexterity and timing together when you think of tech skill. While this isn't wrong or bad in any way, I specifically defined technical skill as dexterity. Timing (the last part in the DKART system) is a whole other facet of skill that I'll get into later.

Remember when I said not to judge a task as being very "easy" or "difficult?" Remember that whole scene at the piano with the Ode toJoy song and the more complicated one? Be careful when you use "easy" and "hard" when trying to talk objectively about something. If you want to go there, then everything in Smash is easy compared to playing the Violin/Piano.

The point made at the end of the video is that both games have a lot of dexterity skills probably at different proportions. But rather than make a big assumption, until we have the data, we can only conclude that both take a lot. Data will come later.

Brawl's buffer is mainly an issue for timing skill. I'll get to that in the next video.

i agree.

Also l-canceling. Which would be much easier if it were in Brawl. Thanks, buffer.

Again, this isn't even going into how difficult it is to apply this tech skill in a meaningful way.
Again, as I said above, I can't mention everything.

You say that all characters are required to wavedash/land a lot at a high level? If so, I think this is a big exaggeration. I played melee all those years too. And now I'm combing through youtube and compiling a playlist of Brawl and Melee videos that showoff different match types. I have several high level vids (M2K/Hugs level) where there isn't much wavedashing or landing at all. Luigi wave dashes some, but not too much in a combo compilation vid I found. Samus jumps and shoots a lot of missiles and plays a tight ground game. Not a lot of wave landing there. She'd rather shoot a missile. Marth does a lot of dash dancing. Not a lot of wave dashing there either.

So if it's such a huge contributor, then why isn't it used more? Sure you could use more wavesliding if you want to? I'm sure some lower level melee smashers do. But the point your making seems to be a bit off the mark.

Applying AT and techniques in a meaningful way is not an issue of dexterity, the physical act of manipulating the game controller.

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I still just feel like the video simply said "Fox, Falco, and Falcon are the only characters that really need high dexterity in Melee. Look at all these button mashing moves in Brawl. Therefore the two games require equal dexterity."

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm at work, so I don't really have time to argue against all the points (maybe later), but to say that wavedashing and wavelanding isn't pretty much essential to play at high levels is pretty much absurd. I think even the top players like Mango wouldn't make top 10 if they were to play a tournament without wave dashing and landing. I'm not sure what videos you were watching, but they were DEFINITELY either:

1. Outliers
2. Sandbagging
3. You didn't see it properly

It's surprising that you mentioned characters like Marth, Luigi and Samus, who are even more difficult to use without wavedashing than others.
Just check out my channel and click on playlists. The Brawl vs Melee is the only playlist posted. It contains 42 videos. Just look at M2K play marth. Not a lot of wavedashing. Look at hugs. Look at the Luigi combo video. It looks like there's a lot more dashdashing than wavesliding going on.

Arguing if wavedashing is essential is partially subjective and semantic. So I'll say this instead. Wavedashing/landing isn't even close to being as essential as L canceling. In general, Melee combats is heavily focused around the dashing, short hopping, close to the ground type of approach. This mainly involves L canceling. So to compare, I think wave dashing to L canceling is about 1:10.

The alternative to wavedashing/landing is to fall through platforms, dash away, walk away, shield, or attack. I don't think there's an alternative to L-canceling. People seem to think that 99.9% of the time you should do it.

What what I mean?

I still just feel like the video simply said "Fox, Falco, and Falcon are the only characters that really need high dexterity in Melee. Look at all these button mashing moves in Brawl. Therefore the two games require equal dexterity."
Well, if you don't want to listen to what I'm saying rather than what you feel, that's fine. How you "feel" is largely based on your own perception and biases. In the video I said both games take a lot of dexterity, and we'll need to look at more data to proceed from here. But for now, we're moving on. I was careful not to use the word "equal."

Backward

Smash Cadet
Just check out my channel and click on playlists. The Brawl vs Melee is the only playlist posted. It contains 42 videos. Just look at M2K play marth. Not a lot of wavedashing. Look at hugs. Look at the Luigi combo video. It looks like there's a lot more dashdashing than wavesliding going on.

Arguing if wavedashing is essential is partially subjective and semantic. So I'll say this instead. Wavedashing/landing isn't even close to being as essential as L canceling. In general, Melee combats is heavily focused around the dashing, short hopping, close to the ground type of approach. This mainly involves L canceling. So to compare, I think wave dashing to L canceling is about 1:10.

The alternative to wavedashing/landing is to fall through platforms, dash away, walk away, shield, or attack. I don't think there's an alternative to L-canceling. People seem to think that 99.9% of the time you should do it.

What what I mean?
Not saying that L-cancelling isn't huge but I still believe you're underestimating the importance of wavedashing. Take something like wavedashing out of shield as an example. That's a huge option for any character.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
... What? If you're approached while DD-ing, there's barely anything you can do except WD backward forward to get into a good/better position. If you decide to run away, you can't get into a position to pull out moves unless you WD or edge-cancel your dash, but the latter will put you in a bad position (between the space and the opponent).

And yes, L-canceling is essential, but that's like saying "you can get by without spacing as long as you can mindgame someone so L-canceling is more essential." L-canceling is pretty important, but just because it's so important doesn't mean everything else isn't.

And you're saying Brawl combat isn't focused around dashing, SHing, using aerials, etc? If not, then they're just camping or stalling.

And you can't just put a number on WD:L-canceling like 1:10. There are characters who use it more often and some who don't. Fox's shine game in some parts are heavily reliant on a good wavedash. Luigi's WD helps greatly with all sorts of approaches. Marth's WD gets him out of close combat and into a tipper. There's a big list.

Alternative to L-canceling: FC if you're Peach and (l)edge-canceling in general (if you can do it, lol). And the 99.9% of the time applies to when you do an aerial. I could say the same about WDing - you should do it 99.9% of the time when you're supposed to.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i'd like to point out that even though you may not wavedash or waveland as much as dashing or l-cancelling, it is still ridiculously important. having a number difference doesn't mean the difference in importance is proportional to those numbers =\

when i see a noob on youtube comments for some video, they'll say "melee sucks bcuz it's all wavedashing," and then another, slightly more educated noob will come in and say "actually it's almost all l-cancelling and dash dancing." they're both wrong, because all tech skill is absolutely essential.

also, some wavedashes are extremely hard to pull off timing-wise, like wd out of shield from fox's shield pressure.

kirby kid, i know you used to play melee, but in all honesty that was a long long time ago, and people are much, much (much!) faster now

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Wavelanding has an extremely significant effect on how characters maneuver on platforms. It grants you the ability to land on a platform right as you pass through it and also grants you the option of making weird, orthogonal motions after jumping while under a platform. Back when I was active in the Brawl tourney scene, one of the things struck me as most different from Melee was the platform play; I believe losing these options fundamentally altered the role platforms have in Brawl.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Compliments for your presentation. I'm interested where this project will go. Right now it doesn't seem to prove anything different from what I've already heard in the past discussion threads. I don't necessarily disagree on your dexterity arguments but you also left out a at's relevance so I don't really see the point yet (execution is meaningless without a good use).

I gotta ask though since you studied gamedesign (and I do too) about gamebalancing. You must have found that a often used method by gamedesigners for gamebalancing is implementing random elements in order to:
1. increase variety in the play experience,
2. level the playing field so long timers still lose to new players (and that way making it more accessibel to new comers)
3. Take away control from the player in order to prevent the use of just one tactic to win.

All this is done cause the developer favors Fun by chaos over Fun by Skill. If there goal was to make a game in which players can show the're better then the other player they wouldn't implement all the random help.

Wouldn't you agree then that while forgetting for a moment that Brawl is now competitive it doesn't look like it was made with the developers intent to be competitive? To me it does and I don't see how there can still be discussion regarding this.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Well, if you don't want to listen to what I'm saying rather than what you feel, that's fine. How you "feel" is largely based on your own perception and biases. In the video I said both games take a lot of dexterity, and we'll need to look at more data to proceed from here. But for now, we're moving on. I was careful not to use the word "equal."
Well, the thing is that I feel that way because it's basically what you said.

But it doesn't matter because I genuinely do enjoy watching these videos and what you have to say. I don't mean to sound too critical (which is funny because I'm being extremely critical. Sorry about that, haha).

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
myth 2.1 and its reasoning for being a myth were bogus and it seems most people agree. kirbykid, you even said it yourself when you said that you played melee before it became what it is now. The game is a lot faster now and your generalization of fox/falco/falcon shows you may be a bit uninformed todays current melee metagame (you simply grouped the fastfallers). I also noticed on the video you responded to this:

"Great video, but there are some holes.
Melee's dexterity is not only fast for fox, falco and falcon. Marth requires high speeds to fair combo and wavedash, and peach requires dexterity to float cancel. Even jigglypuff requires a high speed to get quick utilts and rests and to space her aerials.
Just had to get that off my chest"

with this:
"That's why I mentioned that the high dexterity "count" drops off.
So each character you drop down in the tier list (roughly) the slower things get.
This is all very rough "math" but if you imagine Bowser at the bottom of the list and Fox at the top, you can start to see what I mean.
Technically, I played a very technical Kirby back in the day. I had two main styles. One was hyper fast with wavesliding and dashing. The other walked around a lot with small bursts of speed"

again, you used broad generalizations to make it seem like mashing buttons makes tech skill easier(mashing buttons to gain distance on luigi cyclone, martio tornado,etc is harder in melee anyway) and more generalizations in the tier list placement of technical skill ratio. in addition, arrow looping is not a necessary technique at all while shine canceling, shffling, etc are

watch this recent video of v3ctorman playing yoshi, a character near the bottom of the tier list and look at the immense amount of tech skill going into it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnTx-7c-iQ

also watch these to get a grasp on how far some players have taken melee tech skill

lovages berserker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=238BPPK4xd0 (multiple characters, even bowser!)

lovage/silent wolf revolution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17J6BbaTR18 (fox/falco but you get the point)

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not saying that L-cancelling isn't huge but I still believe you're underestimating the importance of wavedashing. Take something like wavedashing out of shield as an example. That's a huge option for any character.
Is anyone watching the same videos that I'm watching? The vids in the Brawl v. Melee playlist on my channel? A lot of theory was mentioned in these responses, but I'm mainly looking at actual cases. The problem with talking in theory is that there are so many different factors and cases to consider. Characters, playstyles, and levels all change things. I don't think it would be too hard to find a vid that agrees with me and a vid that agrees you you guys. How are we to reconcile this huge pool of data we're trying to talk about (the entirety of Melee's game focused around the importance of two techniques)? Well, since we're not crunching any real numbers at this time, it would help if we at least look at the same videos.

If anyone would like to point me to some videos that would help.

... What? If you're approached while DD-ing, there's barely anything you can do except WD backward forward to get into a good/better position. If you decide to run away, you can't get into a position to pull out moves unless you WD or edge-cancel your dash, but the latter will put you in a bad position (between the space and the opponent).

And yes, L-canceling is essential, but that's like saying "you can get by without spacing as long as you can mindgame someone so L-canceling is more essential." L-canceling is pretty important, but just because it's so important doesn't mean everything else isn't.

And you're saying Brawl combat isn't focused around dashing, SHing, using aerials, etc? If not, then they're just camping or stalling.

And you can't just put a number on WD:L-canceling like 1:10. There are characters who use it more often and some who don't. Fox's shine game in some parts are heavily reliant on a good wavedash. Luigi's WD helps greatly with all sorts of approaches. Marth's WD gets him out of close combat and into a tipper. There's a big list.

Alternative to L-canceling: FC if you're Peach and (l)edge-canceling in general (if you can do it, lol). And the 99.9% of the time applies to when you do an aerial. I could say the same about WDing - you should do it 99.9% of the time when you're supposed to.
Of course wavedashing has its uses. I didn't say it wasn't important. I didn't say it isn't one of the best choices in certain pressured or limited situations. But like I said above, it's just one movement option (with pros and cons) among many when close to the ground or on the ground. The 1:10 is a ration of relative importance. Overall, supporting that point would take a lot more data and explaining, so I'll hold off on that for now.

Though I'll explain it better in a latter episode, Brawl is less focused on the SHFFL type movement/approach. Instead, it's more balance between its ground game and air battles.

i'd like to point out that even though you may not wavedash or waveland as much as dashing or l-cancelling, it is still ridiculously important. having a number difference doesn't mean the difference in importance is proportional to those numbers =\

when i see a noob on youtube comments for some video, they'll say "melee sucks bcuz it's all wavedashing," and then another, slightly more educated noob will come in and say "actually it's almost all l-cancelling and dash dancing." they're both wrong, because all tech skill is absolutely essential.

also, some wavedashes are extremely hard to pull off timing-wise, like wd out of shield from fox's shield pressure.

kirby kid, i know you used to play melee, but in all honesty that was a long long time ago, and people are much, much (much!) faster now
Link me to some videos please. Because otherwise, I'll continue to base things off of the Melee tournaments I hosted last year and the recent Melee videos. I may have stopped playing, but I haven't stopped observing.

Wavelanding has an extremely significant effect on how characters maneuver on platforms. It grants you the ability to land on a platform right as you pass through it and also grants you the option of making weird, orthogonal motions after jumping while under a platform. Back when I was active in the Brawl tourney scene, one of the things struck me as most different from Melee was the platform play; I believe losing these options fundamentally altered the role platforms have in Brawl.
These are keen observations. Wavelanding does change the way players can fight around platforms in Melee. I think "altered" is the correct word to use. Because things are different in Brawl, some strategies/options become less viable while others become more viable.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
and saying hugs doesnt wavedash a lot? are we watching two different hugs? lol
Hugs does wavedash a lot in some of his videos. He seems to have two distinct styles like how I described my Kirby. He wavedashes a lot (for what could be a variety of reasons) until he gets a hit. Then his follow up uses platforms, missles, max shots, down smashes, and tilts. While following up his hits, Hugs seems much more likely to walk around, dash dance, full hop, or just stand there. So if you just count wavedashes there are a lot of them there (many of which look like they're just "for fun"). Depending on how you weigh Hug's follow up game versus everything else, you could come up with two different views. 1) His wave dashing is an essential part of his whole game. or 2) his wavedashing is essential for getting that first good hit, which he follows up with much less wavedashing.

Hugs is probably not the best example I could have used. :confused:

Compliments for your presentation. I'm interested where this project will go. Right now it doesn't seem to prove anything different from what I've already heard in the past discussion threads. I don't necessarily disagree on your dexterity arguments but you also left out a at's relevance so I don't really see the point yet (execution is meaningless without a good use).

I gotta ask though since you studied gamedesign (and I do too) about gamebalancing. You must have found that a often used method by gamedesigners for gamebalancing is implementing random elements in order to:
2. level the playing field so long timers still lose to new players (and that way making it more accessibel to new comers)
3. Take away control from the player in order to prevent the use of just one tactic to win.

All this is done cause the developer favors Fun by chaos over Fun by Skill. If there goal was to make a game in which players can show the're better then the other player they wouldn't implement all the random help.

Wouldn't you agree then that while forgetting for a moment that Brawl is now competitive it doesn't look like it was made with the developers intent to be competitive? To me it does and I don't see how there can still be discussion regarding this.
About incorporating ATs into a meaningful/effective game plan, that's a much more complicated issue that can only be addressed later (after more videos I mean).

About game balancing.... it's very difficult to discuss without looking at specific examples.

I do love random element because I really like exercising adaptation skills. The ability to quickly rearrange or completely throw away a strategy and come up with a new one is really engaging for me.

About your point #2, it would take some crazy/powerful random elements to make new comers win against veterans. I'm sure some exist (maybe Mario Party? Smash Balls? Some Wario Ware Inc. modes? FFA modes?).

As far as taking away control from the players, I'm thinking Brawl tripping qualifies. It doesn't really prevent the use of dashing as a tactic, but it does throw a pause into the action every 1/100 times or so.

Even if you see tripping as a random thing against the competitive-skill based spirit, that's only 1/100 dashes. Everything else (outside the item design) is as "fair" and as "predictable" as Melee. So in comparison, if you think that a 1% chance of faltering on one move is enough to swing the entire game toward the side of "designed not to be competitive" then sure. You have to admit that's an awfully strict criteria. For me, it'll take a lot more than .01% of the game (I'm making up %'s here) to be "uncompetitive" for me to put it in that category.

A lot of people dislike random elements because of the reasons you listed, but the funny part is that you can achieve the same functions or effects wtihout using any random elements. There are so many ways to get to design point B from design point A it's mind boggling.

So unless you want to talk about some specific balancing design features in specific games, I think that's all I can say about that.

Oh, and tripping sucks. But I'm not too bothered by it. I played Kirby in Melee at times working hard to get Falco's laser powers so he can't camp me on FD. Only when I get them (after losing a stock or two) they get shot out of me with the very next laser hit. :mad: If I can live with that, I can live with tripping.

Well, the thing is that I feel that way because it's basically what you said.

But it doesn't matter because I genuinely do enjoy watching these videos and what you have to say. I don't mean to sound too critical (which is funny because I'm being extremely critical. Sorry about that, haha).
No worries. I think after I push past these basic/core concepts I'll be able to be very specific and I won't have to leave big issues hanging. Don't worry, Melee is going to get much love by the end.

myth 2.1 and its reasoning for being a myth were bogus and it seems most people agree. kirbykid, you even said it yourself when you said that you played melee before it became what it is now. The game is a lot faster now and your generalization of fox/falco/falcon shows you may be a bit uninformed todays current melee metagame (you simply grouped the fastfallers). I also noticed on the video you responded to this:

"Great video, but there are some holes.
Melee's dexterity is not only fast for fox, falco and falcon. Marth requires high speeds to fair combo and wavedash, and peach requires dexterity to float cancel. Even jigglypuff requires a high speed to get quick utilts and rests and to space her aerials.
Just had to get that off my chest"

with this:
"That's why I mentioned that the high dexterity "count" drops off.
So each character you drop down in the tier list (roughly) the slower things get.
This is all very rough "math" but if you imagine Bowser at the bottom of the list and Fox at the top, you can start to see what I mean.
Technically, I played a very technical Kirby back in the day. I had two main styles. One was hyper fast with wavesliding and dashing. The other walked around a lot with small bursts of speed"

again, you used broad generalizations to make it seem like mashing buttons makes tech skill easier(mashing buttons to gain distance on luigi cyclone, martio tornado,etc is harder in melee anyway) and more generalizations in the tier list placement of technical skill ratio. in addition, arrow looping is not a necessary technique at all while shine canceling, shffling, etc are

watch this recent video of v3ctorman playing yoshi, a character near the bottom of the tier list and look at the immense amount of tech skill going into it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnTx-7c-iQ

also watch these to get a grasp on how far some players have taken melee tech skill

lovages berserker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=238BPPK4xd0 (multiple characters, even bowser!)

lovage/silent wolf revolution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17J6BbaTR18 (fox/falco but you get the point)
I felt like I had to use broad generalization to get the basic point across. I thought by concluding with "we have to look at each character more closely to understand tech skill better" that any example I used would still be considered open for investigation.

I don't think I implied that hitting buttons/sequences faster (speed dexterity skill) makes things easier. The point of speed dexterity skill is that it's harder to get to higher speeds.

Again, we're not going to get into a discussion about what's necessary or not. Shine canceling, wave dashing, and L-canceling aren't necessary. I could probably program/design a computer AI Fox that's capable of beating humans outright with just a simple shine and maybe a few other moves. I can also design a Fox that can perfectly camp a Kirby (or some other low tier character) and win without doing anything else but laser and perhaps a f-tilt. I've had to play my fair share of camping Fox and Falco players.

"Necessary" isn't what we're talking about here. We're talking about the dexterity skill it takes to play certain characters at high levels. (This is something very different than reaching a skill ceiling, which I'll talk about shortly)

I looked at those videos. That Yoshi and Falco were going crazy! :laugh: Sometimes they're crazy teching got them in trouble. But to respond, I have to say that I had all of this in mind when I made those comments. I know about TAS videos, perfect control, and the skill ceilings that some of us are racing to get close to.

The lovages video did have a lot of Fox/Falco/and Falcon in them. The Bowser part wasn't nearly as varied or impressive.

A lot of characters can go crazy when players have tons of dexterity/tech skill. My Kirby was like that Yoshi many years ago, and Kirby is even lower on the tier list. If you look at each character according to how they're programmed and the potential they have and compare that to what we've seen in practical application, I think that's the best way to go about this discussion.

Everyone is posting while I'm writing my posts. :dizzy:

joeplicate

Smash Master
oh, well hosting tournaments from a year ago is a little bit better haha

but there's a huge difference between "observing" and really watching a video, knowing the thought processes behind each move, and appreciating the difficulty behind playing at such a high level. i'm not even trying to knock you, i studied this match for probably 25 minutes last night before i felt like i had it under my belt somewhat, and i'm SURE that there are countless, countless things i missed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfirw1PjBBc (jman vs hbox last week)

as for players getting faster, you can watch super crack tech skill videos like "revolution," but that doesn't really convey how much faster players make decisions nowadays. lovage and silent wolf have pushed the game to its physical limits so far, speed-wise, but players like mango can make something like 5 decisions every second, and they need the necessary tech skill to execute their decisions. overall, the melee community has gotten VASTLY faster in this regard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppAMl_ntwE (mango vs jman from pound 4)

within the first 1/2 second of this video, jman has already thrown out a nair to the platform. mango saw it and shielded, then in that time while the nair hit his shield, made a decision to shine out of it, then follow up with a dair. then made another decision to dair going down from the platform to follow up his combo. (then jman DI'd out, and mango made a mistake lol)

but already in the first 2 second of this match, so much has happened. at the high levels of play, nearly everything is conscious--they KNOW what they're doing, or else have committed the legwork to muscle memory enough to make such decisions (mango didn't have to think about how much hitstun the nair had on his shield before he could shine out, he just knew from muscle memory). and the players' minds work fast enough to constantly make decisions involving such quick tech skill.

again, there's an enormous difference between "observing" a video and studying it and knowing what's happening, especially when you've had the experience of playing on a level close to what you see. i haven't even had enough experience to do it as well as i'd like, for that matter. i'd like to caution you against watching videos and procuring a general impression that things haven't really changed that much (since 2006!).

so although there might be a "wavedash to l-cancel" ratio of 1:10, that is by no means telling, and i think you're making really bad generalizations about the nature of the game.

i definitely respect you for doing this project, and i know it's a huge undertaking, but i believe you should try to be as objective as possible in things like this, and defer to experience whenever possible. frankly, i don't believe you have quite enough experience to make claims about top-level melee regarding tech skill. the game has changed an incredible amount, even from a year or a year and a half ago. again, i'm not challenging you personally, i just think it's important to remember the primary task of gathering data and excluding bias from your survey.

:psycho:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey, you may remember me from your Youtube comments.
I do love random element because I really like exercising adaptation skills. The ability to quickly rearrange or completely throw away a strategy and come up with a new one is really engaging for me.
I completely agree, but you have to be careful with these "random elements". As you know, I'm a SF player as well and play El Fuerte. The key thing with him is that you have to test the waters against your opponent, particularly what they do on wakeup. If they are/aren't doing something, exploit it. You have to adapt to what they're doing while mixing it up. This is, in a sense, random because you don't quite know what your opponent will do. If they do something unfavorable, you have to adapt. If they have an Ultra combo available, some tactics have to be put aside until that option's gone. Sometimes, you have to take big risks to hit them or bait them. This also applies to Super Smash Bros.There's no need to insert extra random elements because fighting games are like this fundamentally.

As far as taking away control from the players, I'm thinking Brawl tripping qualifies. It doesn't really prevent the use of dashing as a tactic, but it does throw a pause into the action every 1/100 times or so.

Even if you see tripping as a random thing against the competitive-skill based spirit, that's only 1/100 dashes. Everything else (outside the item design) is as "fair" and as "predictable" as Melee. So in comparison, if you think that a 1% chance of faltering on one move is enough to swing the entire game toward the side of "designed not to be competitive" then sure. You have to admit that's an awfully strict criteria. For me, it'll take a lot more than .01% of the game (I'm making up %'s here) to be "uncompetitive" for me to put it in that category.
In theory, you don't take luck into account which is what's going on here. You can have someone who's lucky to rarely trip, but you can someone who has the worst luck possible and constantly trips. Once you take luck into account with random tripping, the game becomes impossible to have consistent results in comparison to Melee which already has random outcomes for Peach's Turnip, G+W's Judgment, and Luigi's Green Missle.

A lot of people dislike random elements because of the reasons you listed, but the funny part is that you can achieve the same functions or effects wtihout using any random elements. There are so many ways to get to design point B from design point A it's mind boggling.
I haven't gotten into game design yet, but I can't say you can achieve the same effect with or without random elements. As mentioned earlier, with random elements, you lose some control which can lead to big differences.

Geist

Smash Master
First of all let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed the second video, it was very well done.
Now that I've got that out of the way, and because I'm a naturally a critic, I'll continue.

I main Samus and Secondary Zelda, and I just cannot agree with your argument of tech skill dexterity-wise. Button mashing moves are difficult to really factor into an apm of a game; see starcraft, where a large portion of actions go into extremely fast clicks to precisely navigate around.

I use my mains as an example for multiple reasons. The playstyle of a person has to be factored in as well if a comparison is going to be accurate. Samus for example can be very patient and defensive, and not quick by most standards. This is not the Samus I play. I'm very aggressive, probably overly-so, and I rely heavily on wavelanding quickly around platforms, fastfalling, Lcancelling and covering myself with my fastest moves for my lack of defense. My OoS options are important in a lot of matchups, and the larger amount of shield stun (relative to Brawl) makes the timing more difficult and more specific. IIRC ledge missile -> regrab has a 1 frame room for error, and a Shffmc has the same, and I know a good number of fox players who have trouble Double missiling on platforms.

I mentioned Zelda because she's one of the slower characters in the game, even though some of her moves come out extremely fast. When I face faster characters, I have to keep up with them, or I get overwhelmed and I lose. Let me just say that keeping up with fox players with zelda is possible, but requires a lot of technical skill, and is extremely hard, and I'll leave it that that.

Overall I think that the practical technical ability is more important than aesthetic technical ability, and simply because the melee engine is faster, it's more demanding. But there is no arguing that aesthitically, melee can be leagues faster than Brawl.

Now that I think of it, all of these arguments have probably already been mentioned, but I want to put them forward in my own words anyways... yeah, I'll go with that.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
About incorporating ATs into a meaningful/effective game plan, that's a much more complicated issue that can only be addressed later (after more videos I mean).
I agree which is why I'm not attacking it just yet but instead waiting till you get more specific.

I'd love to see an example of this when you have time. Cause it see developers (and fellow students) reaching for random elements way to often to fix there games repetitiveness and I have these discussions a lot then.

I personally think tripping is a really dumb solution for the design problem they were having (which might have been "over use of dashing") but that's not my main point.

Your free to like random elements ofc but I'm not talking personal taste. I mean that if you look at how designers generally balance things, that implementing random elements is most of the time because of the purposes I listed but I was just asking if you agreed on that and if you would agree that considering that that brawl wasn't designed with the intention of being competitive but chaotic but I think I understand your point of view now.

Have I got this right:
"You don't think just implementing tripping is enough to accuse the developer of favoring fun through chaos and luck instead of fun through controlled accomplishments(skill). So to you it's still possible that they designed the game with competition in mind :). You don't think they implemented randomness to achieve the above."
I wanna ask you then, for what other reason would they implement it?

Oh and I didn't skip your post or anything I'm just not commenting on all of it but instead trying to comment on the core.

Here's why I think many melee players quit brawl and dislike it:
1. The fun in melee isn't the same as the fun you have in brawl. It's a different type of fun.
2. Melee had impressive execution and they don't think brawl has impressive execution. Thus matches are boring to them.
3. They don't like how it controls and favor melee controls cause they think it's more responsive.

Note that they can still like a match that has an exciting comeback, gimp, upset but in general they think the metagame is boring.

I completely agree, but you have to be careful with these "random elements". As you know, I'm a SF player as well and play El Fuerte. The key thing with him is that you have to test the waters against your opponent, particularly what they do on wakeup. If they are/aren't doing something, exploit it. You have to adapt to what they're doing while mixing it up. This is, in a sense, random because you don't quite know what your opponent will do. If they do something unfavorable, you have to adapt. If they have an Ultra combo available, some tactics have to be put aside until that option's gone. Sometimes, you have to take big risks to hit them or bait them. This also applies to Super Smash Bros.There's no need to insert extra random elements because fighting games are like this fundamentally.
That's a different type of randomness though than in brawl (if you can even call it that). The difference is that it's deducible. If they are throwing out random attacks then you catch them on the lag. If they aren't then it's deducible and you can try to read when and why they do it.
So it can only be random in the beginning and becomes more clear as the match progresses. Course if they get a random hit on you that's good luck for them but the're not gonna get very far by that.

Ultra's aren't random. There are clear positions when they would be effective or not. The challenge is that it's hard to cover them all and the punishment for your mistake is big.

Maybe I shouldn't call it randomness but outsite influence. That might be a better explanation cause that's what's frustrating players that they get send in a bad position without there opponent sending them there.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's a different type of randomness though than in brawl (if you can even call it that). The difference is that it's deducible. If they are throwing out random attacks then you catch them on the lag. If they aren't then it's deducible and you can try to read when and why they do it.
So it can only be random in the beginning and becomes more clear as the match progresses. Course if they get a random hit on you that's good luck for them but the're not gonna get very far by that.

Ultra's are interesting since there essentially like samus charge shot or a final smash but those aren't thrown out random. And there are clear positions when they would be effective or not. So not random.

Maybe I shouldn't call it randomness but outsite influence. That might be a better explanation cause that's what's frustrating players that they get send in a bad position without there opponent sending them there.
Perhaps so, but I would still consider this random because even with reading , taking into account options, and more, you're basically taking a gamble. People will use option selects when they aren't quite sure what will happen (but it is by no means guaranteed to have either outcome). I do agree that this is nothing like random tripping or the moves with random outcomes.

As for the Ultras, it gets a bit more complicated than you think. As I mentioned earlier, you can bait your opponent into using it. Then there's situations where you think they aren't going to do something because it's dangerous, but they will do it because you're not expecting it.

I guess you could call tripping and such outside influence. None of the people playing the game have any say in those outcomes.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Randomness(read above post)
Yeah well I think you get my point :p. I'm not familiar with high level sf4 play so I just base it off general assumptions that I have based on the mechanics features.

The ultra's example sounds like general mindgames which is definetly not random.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah well I think you get my point :p. I'm not familiar with high level sf4 play so I just base it off general assumptions that I have based on the mechanics features.

The ultra's example sounds like general mindgames which is definetly not random.
Looking at the definition of random as an adjective:

1. proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the random selection of numbers.
    [*]Statistics .
    of or characterizing a process of selection in which each item of a set has an equal probability of being chosen.
  2. Building Trades .
    a.
    (of building materials) lacking uniformity of dimensions: random shingles.
    b.
    (of ashlar) laid without continuous courses.
    c.
    constructed or applied without regularity: random bond.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/random

The second one in bold is what I have in mind. With mindgames, you're taking a guess as to what the opponent will do. From your perspective, there are two outcomes, you're successful or you're not, and you do not know which it will be. Think of it as a coin flip.

Of course, you and I may easily have different interpretations of the word.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
@KumaOso: Ah I see what you mean. You could compare that to for example some forms of tech chasing which has some guessing to it(not all of it since each char has different tech chases). Would you consider rock paper scissors random then? Cause there also a lot of mindgames that go in to it but if the player play's random they have no effect (my dad beat me at it once like that cause he didn't understand it or something and just did something:p).

But we agree that the type of randomness in brawl is completely different since it's an outside influence.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So someone quoted an article and thought it was all about Brawl, only to find out it was actually said about Melee, then turned it around and said it applied more to Brawl then to Melee?

Ironic.

The reality is that Sakurai's quote is more about items and stages then it is about any other mechanic in Smash. With most of this removed in both Brawl and Melee, Sakurai's quote is irrelevant.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
oh, well hosting tournaments from a year ago is a little bit better haha

but there's a huge difference between "observing" and really watching a video, knowing the thought processes behind each move, and appreciating the difficulty behind playing at such a high level. i'm not even trying to knock you, ...
I agree. I've done some studying and some questioning, but that doesn't mean I know everything. I'm sure I have some holes in my knowledge base somewhere, so I appreciate that everyone he is keeping me on my toes.

The only other thing I'll say is that the more I understand about game design (of any game/competitive game) the better I'm able to understand how the raw design of the game shapes the potential for a game to develop. Time will show how everything matches up.

as for players getting faster, you can watch super crack tech skill videos like "revolution," but that doesn't really convey how much faster players make decisions nowadays. lovage and silent wolf have pushed the game to its physical limits so far, speed-wise, but players like mango can make something like 5 decisions every second, and they need the necessary tech skill to execute their decisions. overall, the melee community has gotten VASTLY faster in this regard.

but already in the first 2 second of this match, so much has happened. at the high levels of play, nearly everything is conscious--they KNOW what they're doing, or else have committed the legwork to muscle memory enough to make such decisions (mango didn't have to think about how much hitstun the nair had on his shield before he could shine out, he just knew from muscle memory). and the players' minds work fast enough to constantly make decisions involving such quick tech skill.
There is a lot of interesting things to say about knowledge skills or how the mind can keep up with games like Melee. Not to give too much of the next episode away, LTM (long term memory) and MM (muscle memory) are quite important. So, the players aren't thinking any faster, rather, it's like they've already done the thinking before. That's kind of a strange description, but I'm sure it'll make sense when I explain it later.

Good instincts.

i'd like to caution you against watching videos and procuring a general impression that things haven't really changed that much (since 2006!).
I hope I didn't imply that Melee hasn't changed much since 2006. If I did, perhaps I meant that the growing trend of its evolution has been steady and consistent?

so although there might be a "wavedash to l-cancel" ratio of 1:10, that is by no means telling, and i think you're making really bad generalizations about the nature of the game.
I realize that trying to communicate something like which AT is more important/essential is too difficult at the point. I don't think I was even able to communicate what I really wanted to say about it.

No worries.

i definitely respect you for doing this project, and i know it's a huge undertaking, but i believe you should try to be as objective as possible in things like this, and defer to experience whenever possible. frankly, i don't believe you have quite enough experience to make claims about top-level melee regarding tech skill. the game has changed an incredible amount, even from a year or a year and a half ago. again, i'm not challenging you personally, i just think it's important to remember the primary task of gathering data and excluding bias from your survey.

:psycho:
Understood. Good thing I got you guys to back me up. Still, do you make a distinction between high level and top level? Cause I think I've been saying high level and tournament level this whole time, which isn't the same as the top level to me.

For now, I want to get through the basics via the video. And afterwards I was planning on utilizing the people who've volunteered to continue the investigation via a moderated/structured debate.

I completely agree, but you have to be careful with these "random elements". As you know, I'm a SF player as well and play El Fuerte. ... This also applies to Super Smash Bros.There's no need to insert extra random elements because fighting games are like this fundamentally.

In theory, you don't take luck into account which is what's going on here. You can have someone who's lucky to rarely trip, but you can someone who has the worst luck possible and constantly trips. Once you take luck into account with random tripping, the game becomes impossible to have consistent results in comparison to Melee which already has random outcomes for Peach's Turnip, G+W's Judgment, and Luigi's Green Missle.
I don't think you can find a case where someone "trips all the time," but I know what you mean. Technically, you can't get "consistent" results from dashing in Brawl. That's how the random tripping works.

I haven't gotten into game design yet, but I can't say you can achieve the same effect with or without random elements. As mentioned earlier, with random elements, you lose some control which can lead to big differences.
Depending on the type of random element (move/stage/item) you don't necessarily have to lose control over your character or what you do to the opponent. Technically, if you have no control over the random stage changes in pokemon stadium, then you can't lose control whenever it randomly picks a type to switch to. It all just depends on the random element/design.

I main Samus and Secondary Zelda, and I just cannot agree with your argument of tech skill dexterity-wise. Button mashing moves are difficult to really factor into an apm of a game; see starcraft, where a large portion of actions go into extremely fast clicks to precisely navigate around.
At this point, we're just considering the different kinds of skill one can have dexterity wise. As far as APM goes, you count every button hit as an action. Things can get even more tricky from there when you consider things like double inputting for actions and option select.

If you haven't already stated it explicitly, what exactly do you not agree with? And remember, speed dexterity isn't all about button mashing moves. I just picked those as an easy example. Anytime you input a "quick" sequence of moves that's speed dexterity also. Jump, nair, fast fall, da dash, tilt. This is a speedy sequence that I've done in Melee (Kirby) and Brawl (Pit).

Overall I think that the practical technical ability is more important than aesthetic technical ability, and simply because the melee engine is faster, it's more demanding. But there is no arguing that aesthitically, melee can be leagues faster than Brawl.

Now that I think of it, all of these arguments have probably already been mentioned, but I want to put them forward in my own words anyways... yeah, I'll go with that.
I'm not sure what you mean by practical versus aesthetic technical ability. Can you explain it again?

I'd love to see an example of this when you have time. Cause it see developers (and fellow students) reaching for random elements way to often to fix there games repetitiveness and I have these discussions a lot then.
Sure. Just off the top of my head. If these are the design/functional goals ...

• You can create dynamics that change how the actions create resulting actions over time. See here for more info on dyanmics. http://critical-gaming.squarespace.com/blog/2009/11/5/gameplay-dynamics.html
  • Smash has dynamic hit stun and knock back. Even a move used over and over has a lot of variety.
  • Some games have phases to their matches. Like the Zelda Spirit Tracks battle mode, there are 3 distinct phases of battle that have different "rules," but they're all predictable.

That's just a few non-random ways of achieving those functional goals.

I personally think tripping is a really dumb solution for the design problem they were having (which might have been "over use of dashing") but that's not my main point.

Your free to like random elements ofc but I'm not talking personal taste. I mean that if you look at how designers generally balance things, that implementing random elements is most of the time because of the purposes I listed but I was just asking if you agreed on that and if you would agree that considering that that brawl wasn't designed with the intention of being competitive but chaotic but I think I understand your point of view now.

Have I got this right:
"You don't think just implementing tripping is enough to accuse the developer of favoring fun through chaos and luck instead of fun through controlled accomplishments(skill). So to you it's still possible that they designed the game with competition in mind :). You don't think they implemented randomness to achieve the above."
I wanna ask you then, for what other reason would they implement it?
Yes, you got it right.

I think it was Sakurai (the genius behind all of Smash) that came up with tripping and had the power to actually put it in the game. I think Sakurai is a very smart, idealistic, and conflicted person (like so many of us). He views the world differently than we do. So when he spent years of his life making another smash (when he thought he was kind of done making Smash games) he wanted to see if he could do things a little differently. He wanted everyone to have a smile on their face. And though tripping is controversial, at least he tried.

Here's why I think many melee players quit brawl and dislike it:
1. The fun in melee isn't the same as the fun you have in brawl. It's a different type of fun.
2. Melee had impressive execution and they don't think brawl has impressive execution. Thus matches are boring to them.
3. They don't like how it controls and favor melee controls cause they think it's more responsive.

Note that they can still like a match that has an exciting comeback, gimp, upset but in general they think the metagame is boring.
Those reasons sound pretty accurate in my experience too. I also think that the game is so different yet so similar, you want to apply the same lessons learned from Melee to Brawl, but they just don't convert smoothly. This can be really shocking to some.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@KumaOso: Ah I see what you mean. You could compare that to for example some forms of tech chasing which has some guessing to it(not all of it since each char has different tech chases). Would you consider rock paper scissors random then? Cause there also a lot of mindgames that go in to it but if the player play's random they have no effect (my dad beat me at it once like that cause he didn't understand it or something and just did something:p).

But we agree that the type of randomness in brawl is completely different since it's an outside influence.
You know, after that post, I was thinking about tech chasing. I would call RPC random just because you don't know what your opponent will pull out, whether by accident or not; this is no different from our other examples like tech chasing.

And I'm glad we finally got down to an agreement with no questions from either side. Hopefully, this will be presented in a future video.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
@ KirbyKid: Fair enough. You give some good examples and you seem to put a lot of thougt into those so I'll read your links with more attention and care before I comment on them. Don't think I can prove/disprove all of them cause I can't test all of it by myself and also some of it is based on opinions.

About sakurai. Yeah he tried. But I just wished he'd tested brawl more with players from our community instead of deciding it all on his own. He made a lot of weird design deciscions in my eyes. That's my biggest complaint to Nintendo overall: we're not taken seriously at all and the implementation of tripping strengthens that view.

@KumaOso: Glad we did. We'll see if it finds some form in the vids.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't think you can find a case where someone "trips all the time," but I know what you mean. Technically, you can't get "consistent" results from dashing in Brawl. That's how the random tripping works.
Good. I just simply presented two extreme scenarios that demonstrate the flaws behind random tripping.

Depending on the type of random element (move/stage/item) you don't necessarily have to lose control over your character or what you do to the opponent. Technically, if you have no control over the random stage changes in pokemon stadium, then you can't lose control whenever it randomly picks a type to switch to. It all just depends on the random element/design.
You can easily lose momentum when the stage switches randomly. It's one thing, though, if it switches cyclically every X seconds between stages as you can take advantage of it.
For the first one, that's a variation of what happens in other games. SF4 has combo scaling which makes infinites (but not loops) impossible. Guilty Gear, from what I hear, has gravity scaling. For an air combo, the amount of gravity on the damaged opponent increases over time. This gets to a point where it becomes impossible to attack the opponent because they have nothing fast enough to keep them in air. These two concepts also go hand in hand with the second concept you presented.

I think it was Sakurai (the genius behind all of Smash) that came up with tripping and had the power to actually put it in the game. I think Sakurai is a very smart, idealistic, and conflicted person (like so many of us). He views the world differently than we do. So when he spent years of his life making another smash (when he thought he was kind of done making Smash games) he wanted to see if he could do things a little differently. He wanted everyone to have a smile on their face. And though tripping is controversial, at least he tried.
I find him rather idealistic. I don't feel like going into much about it right now, but if I can find the articles to back my belief, I'll post it.

Top Bottom