• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl vs. Melee Research Project

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I took the survey! :) I'm just sorry to say I know nothing about tournaments.
No worries. Everyone has a voice and something to contribute.

In Project M you cannot dodge while in tumble, let alone while in hitstun.

I just replaces non-directional MAD with BAD.
Good to know.

This thread has brawl vs melee in the title so it will end very well!
It's not out of control so far. Though i think some have given up, that's still better that flaming each other.

Violence

Smash Lord
Haven't really kept up with this thread, but I have to say that I've been pretty disappointed with your vids so far.

The reason is that you really come across as presumptuous, when you claim a position of authority, sounding like the Mythbusters, but have very uneven experiences with both games.

In your vids, the pattern I often see is:

State a melee player's assertion.
Call it a myth.
Make an assertion which is contrary to the melee player's assertion.
Explain your reasoning.
Declare the myth busted.

You see, this really isn't like the Mythbusters at all. Partly because these are qualitative properties we're testing, but also partly because the Mythbusters go out and thoroughly test their assertions.

The thing I don't like about your vids is basically that you make these assertions, and we never see you test them. I don't think we can really come to a clear agreement, because while many of us have both a rich brawl and melee experience background, and speak from experience which draws from both games, I don't think you can claim to have the same.

X1-12

Smash Champion
The reason is that you really come across as presumptuous, when you claim a position of authority, sounding like the Mythbusters, but have very uneven experiences with both games.
actually I think its things like this

"according to the survey about 95 to 99% of smashers agree that melee takes more technical skill than brawl. I'm not so sure"

MCSR

Smash Apprentice

"according to the survey about 95 to 99% of smashers agree that melee takes more technical skill than brawl. I'm not so sure"
That quote proves to me that the information in the video is based on bias.

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Something that one person might find easy could be VERY hard for another person to do. Thus, there is no tech skill in either game. MYTH BUSTED

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haven't really kept up with this thread, but I have to say that I've been pretty disappointed with your vids so far.

In your vids, the pattern I often see is:

State a melee player's assertion.
Call it a myth.
Make an assertion which is contrary to the melee player's assertion.
Explain your reasoning.
Declare the myth busted.

You see, this really isn't like the Mythbusters at all. Partly because these are qualitative properties we're testing, but also partly because the Mythbusters go out and thoroughly test their assertions.

The thing I don't like about your vids is basically that you make these assertions, and we never see you test them. I don't think we can really come to a clear agreement, because while many of us have both a rich brawl and melee experience background, and speak from experience which draws from both games, I don't think you can claim to have the same.
There's no point in trying to use the "experience" angle. You admit that you haven't kept up with this thread, which is obvious. Some of the points you bring up have already been addressed multiple times.

As far as thoroughly testing my assertions, if you listened closely I left many points inconclusive. I clearly stated up front that gamers have good instincts, but that doesn't mean we should automatically trust their views without questioning and testing them. So while outlining the terms and definitions, I addressed the myths/topics as I went along. Some could be busted without the need for heavy research based on the definitions I presented. And since no one else has a more exacting and thorough lexicon, using my terms is best.

The logic is in the language. For everything I didn't have data for or the time/resources to test, I left open ended. Even if I worked out math in each video, the result would be the same. The problem is many people here would rather be right than to communicate clearly (even when there's no right or wrong). You can point out that I don't have enough data or that I didn't walk you through my testing process in the video, but it would be more fruitful to comment about the structure, gather data, ask questions, and raise doubt about conclusions. Good Game is inspired by Mythbusters and Good Eats. So if the show isn't Mythbusters enough for you, that's probably the reason.

But if you want more support, I hope you read through my blog. The videos could only communicate so much you know. So if you think some of the statements aren't well supported, I hope you did your research. If you want more math like logic, then check out part 16-18 in the examination of skill series. If you want thorough, then first be thorough in everything I presented. Otherwise, it's much safer to ask instead of assume.

Coming to an agreement is not the ultimate goal here. If you now realize that video games are more complicated than you thought and it won't be easy to prove hardly anything, then that's a win. If you realize that the terms you used and the definitions you thought you knew weren't solid or specific enough, that would be win #2. I try to address all comments and submitters as completely as possible. I never expected everyone to do the same back.

The point was to look at things more closely and cast a lot of doubt where needed. The episodes were written as a direct response to the survey responses. You should be ready to prove something you think is so true/obvious using the system (terms and structures) rather than complain about the video presentation or possible bias.

I don't think many of you can compare your Melee and Brawl experience to mine. I've been a part of this community for longer, I've researched tons, written more, and worked harder at game design theory and language than anyone period. Regardless of what you think you know, if you can't even express it clearly on your own terms or otherwise, then your experience isn't as impactful.

If you think it's wrong to doubt and question, then that's you. At least I supported my reason for doubting with solid theory.

It's definitely not right to say that because 95-99% of people think that Melee has more tech skill than barwl, Melee has more tech skill than Bawrl.

I mean, it does, but not because 95-99% of people think it. Majorities can be wrong (although in this case I don't think we are).
This is a good way of looking at it. And if we continued to work toward gathering data and refining our arguments, we would both gain from the experience. The idea involves being able to work with people you don't necessarily agree with. And this isn't possible without a common/clear language.

If anyone else here feels fed up, then you can only imagine what I feel.

why is this thread still alive

hasn't everybody gotten tired of this guy's lame videos and moved on yet?
:laugh:

BEES

Smash Lord
kirbykid said:
I don't think many of you can compare your Melee and Brawl experience to mine. I've been a part of this community for longer, I've researched tons, written more, and worked harder at game design theory and language than anyone period. Regardless of what you think you know, if you can't even express it clearly on your own terms or otherwise, then your experience isn't as impactful.
You helped coin the term 'triangle dodging', which has been around since the Ken era. You registered in '02, and you're a backroom member. You definitely have some legitimacy in the community. I think I remember you referring to wavedashing as sliding a long time ago too. ...Notice how that term never caught on?

You're arguing against people that don't like Brawl for all the reasons you've conceded you can't convince us to change our minds about. Those being:

-speed
-combos
-actions per minute
-arcane universal techniques
-offense/defense balance

whether you regard Brawl as having the same level of strategic depth (which it still seems you do), or not, you can't change the fact that the strategies that work in Brawl are RADICALLY DIFFERENT in such a way that they're not the kind of strategies the rest of us find entertaining. They are two different games for two different audiences, and trying to convince Melee players to play Brawl is like trying to convince Football players to play Golf.

One other thing: certain aspects of Brawl make it very clear that Nintendo did not want a fighting game. Tripping, final smash randomness, the relative power of items compared to regular attacks, and the way the physics were meticulously arranged to prevent followups and prevent accidental discovery of ATs. On top of that, they did not add attacks. They did not improve the balance of the game. Those are typical things a fighting game developer does. That, we take very personally. Even if the game manages to be competitively viable despite it, I no longer want to play it on principle. If I had played Melee for years and looked forward to this game, I can't imagine how offended I would be by it. It's a deliberate slap in the face.

I'm going to stop here, and I hope the thread stops too. It's you, kirbykid vs everyone else. Anything that we could have convinced each other about has been covered by now, and we're starting to repeat ourselves.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
You helped coin the term 'triangle dodging', which has been around since the Ken era. You registered in '02, and you're a backroom member. You definitely have some legitimacy in the community. I think I remember you referring to wavedashing as sliding a long time ago too. ...Notice how that term never caught on?

You're arguing against people that don't like Brawl for all the reasons you've conceded you can't convince us to change our minds about. Those being:

-speed
-combos
-actions per minute
-arcane universal techniques
-offense/defense balance

whether you regard Brawl as having the same level of strategic depth (which it still seems you do), or not, you can't change the fact that the strategies that work in Brawl are RADICALLY DIFFERENT in such a way that they're not the kind of strategies the rest of us find entertaining. They are two different games for two different audiences, and trying to convince Melee players to play Brawl is like trying to convince Football players to play Golf.

One other thing: certain aspects of Brawl make it very clear that Nintendo did not want a fighting game. Tripping, final smash randomness, the relative power of items compared to regular attacks, and the way the physics were meticulously arranged to prevent followups and prevent accidental discovery of ATs. On top of that, they did not add attacks. They did not improve the balance of the game. Those are typical things a fighting game developer does. That, we take very personally. Even if the game manages to be competitively viable despite it, I no longer want to play it on principle. If I had played Melee for years and looked forward to this game, I can't imagine how offended I would be by it. It's a deliberate slap in the face.

I'm going to stop here, and I hope the thread stops too. It's you, kirbykid vs everyone else. Anything that we could have convinced each other about has been covered by now, and we're starting to repeat ourselves.
This is a good stopping place. So I'll say this in closing...

The intent was never to change your minds about what you like. I think I've made it clear that everyone forms their own opinions, and that's all great. If you love speed and combos then there's no need to convince you that you'll probably love Melee over Brawl and Smash64.

I don't even think I suggested that Melee players play Brawl at all, or that they should even like the game. Remember, I don't think our feelings/opinions have much of a place in a debate (or conversation) except at the beginning and the end.

This thread was just for simple feedback, comments, and/or Q&A. So it was supposed to be me directly responding to those who posted. I wouldn't use this public forum for a serious debate because I really don't like the format.

We have started repeating ourselves, so let's take a big break. I took a lot of data from this investigation and I'm already thinking of the future.

I'm glad that things didn't explode here. I really look at the results in this tread and think things turned out better than expected. As far as some of my opinions go, I really do love Melee and Brawl. Along with wanting to clearly communicate my feelings on both games, I also have dreams of organizing the history of my favorite video game series. All I can do is work hard, do my best, and share what I find.

I still think Melee people could use a lot of help explaining exactly how and why that game should be repected (and feared ! :mad:) by all fighting game fans.

Thanks Bees for hanging in there.

Thanks everyone for putting up with everything. It's been rough. I don't blame anyone for being confused, disappointed, or angry in one way or another.

I'll never stop working for these goals.

Top Bottom