• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl vs. Melee Research Project

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
how is this a myth? brawl is a lot slower and focuses on highly defensive play, shields don't wear out as fast because you can't pressure them nearly as well in brawl, perfect shielding is extremely easy, shield grabbing due to lack of shield stun, etc
heres another one

many ground moves are used, not as much as aerials but still
when you say they don't use specials you're wrong. what do you think spacies follow up their aerials with? oh yeah a special. People have very different playstyles. ex shiz is extremely offensive and technical. mango's extremely techincal, efficient, and smart. Jman is technical smart and one of the campier foxes, abusing another extremely important special move for both spacies, the blaster.
All of the defensive options have pros and cons. Learning low to play Brawl well involves playing to keep the advantage despite the defensives moves. If you think staying in your shield, going for a lot of "easy" perfect shields, and shield grabbing is the best way to win, then let me know how well you do in tournament/friendlies.

I never said that specials aren't used at all. I said they're used less. And this is true. Yes, everyone plays with a different style. But like I said, the pallet of moves they have to work with is smaller in Melee if and when specials and ground moves are moved much less.

B moves used fairly commonly by commonly used characters:

Fox: Shine, Laser, Firefox, Illusion (All of them)
Falco: Same as Fox.
Jiggs: Pound, Rest
Peach: Turnip, Umbrella
Sheik: Needles, up-b, down-b (best move in the game)
C. Falcon: Falcon Kick, side-b, up-b
Marth: All of them.
Ganon: down-b, up-b, side-b (sometimes)

"Special Moves" are still used a good amount in melee. They aren't as common as regular attacks because well, they're "special".
"fairly commonly" .... "a good amount" .... I have a hard time understanding what this means exactly.

So I look to the Melee APM thread to help me out. It tells me exactly many special moves some players use at a high level. Sure, everyone uses at least a few specials, but just look at the numbers. Mano pounds = 5. Baris/fairs/nairs 42/37/32. Some people use more specials than others, but the data speaks for itself.

I suggest pointing at specific examples from the data.

-_-

This is gonna degenerate into unnecessary flaming, and eventually Melee players gloating and ****ting on Brawl again.

Quote me on it. If this keeps going, that's going to happen.

[EDIT]

Apologies for not contributing much of anything with that statement, KirbyKid. This is just tiring. I really like what you're trying to do.
No worries. I really don't mind talking about different opinions or other ways to view an issue. I'm just sad that many people here aren't even using the language/structures I outlined in detail for talking about this stuff. :(

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
If you want it to seem a little less biased, address why the Melee players feel the way they do about certain aspects of the games instead of taking every anti-Brawl thing they say and "busting" it. It's a little unfair to take the points being made and not really explain anything behind them, instead only referring to them as 100% incorrect "myths." I understand that it was mostly Melee players taking the survey, but I'm sure you can think of some anti-Melee accusations to address and make this more fair and balanced. It's really hard to believe that this isn't biased when the only things you are talking about are things that put Brawl in a bad light (and even then, saying Brawl is slow, campy, or easier isn't even necessarily a bad thing, yet you have presented them as bad things). Whether or not you believe you are being biased or making these biased statements, they are at the very least strongly implied (i.e. the list of statements Ichigo gave). So, while you did not outright say that Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon are the only technical characters, you strongly implied it. All I'm saying is that if you were trying to be objective and unbiased, you would be more careful about your language and how you go about making your points. There is obviously a reason why so many people here are suspecting bias, and I don't think you can just brush it off as "none of you are watching my videos correctly, 100% of you guys are wrong."

I know you probably think that this is my bias as a Melee player. You are right to an extent. I am a Melee player, and I will be more quick to notice Brawl bias. However, I did play Brawl (check my signature), and I do think it is a good game. I'm not one to put Brawl/Brawlers down, bar when I'm purely messing around. I think I'm perfectly capable of talking about Melee and Brawl objectively.

Anyway, these videos aren't a waste of time and do present a lot of good information. That, of course, is not to say that most of the points you made are not arguable. Because they are. They are not all fact, and I wouldn't say that your "myths" are completely "busted," nor are they completely "myths." They may not be completely true, either, but they aren't founded on nonsense, so I wouldn't call them "myths."

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I also don't like that Kirbykid has the entire thread's title as "brawl vs. melee."

I think that this whole thread has been made to troll the melee community. And whether or not the purpose of it was to troll, I think that we should let this thread die because really, what good is coming of it?

Let's allow this thread to die and let KK go on with his videos.

I'm pretty sure we're the only ones watching them anyways.

The title was designed to be "edgy" and draw people in. I hear what you're saying though.

We've had some good conversations here since some of the first videos. Things have gotten a bit messy recently, but all in all, it's not so bad yet.

Oh! I get it now.
I played Melee since the beginning up through the year 2006 (or 2007) . The last big tournament I went to was OC3 where I played Ken, Hugs, M2K, and Gimpyfish. I hung in there all those years with Kirby, a feat that has make me stronger in some ways and weaker in others. :ohwell:

You haven't seen any of the zealous Brawl supporters here, except for possibly KirbyKid himself.
I love Brawl. I love Melee. I like Smash 64 (loved it back in the day).

If you want it to seem a little less biased, address why the Melee players feel the way they do about certain aspects of the games instead of taking every anti-Brawl thing they say and "busting" it. It's a little unfair to take the points being made and not really explain anything behind them, instead only referring to them as 100% incorrect "myths." I understand that it was mostly Melee players taking the survey, but I'm sure you can think of some anti-Melee accusations to address and make this more fair and balanced. It's really hard to believe that this isn't biased when the only things you are talking about are things that put Brawl in a bad light (and even then, saying Brawl is slow, campy, or easier isn't even necessarily a bad thing, yet you have presented them as bad things). Whether or not you believe you are being biased or making these biased statements, they are at the very least strongly implied (i.e. the list of statements Ichigo gave). So, while you did not outright say that Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon are the only technical characters, you strongly implied it. All I'm saying is that if you were trying to be objective and unbiased, you would be more careful about your language and how you go about making your points. There is obviously a reason why so many people here are suspecting bias, and I don't think you can just brush it off as "none of you are watching my videos correctly, 100% of you guys are wrong."

I know you probably think that this is my bias as a Melee player. You are right to an extent. I am a Melee player, and I will be more quick to notice Brawl bias. However, I did play Brawl (check my signature), and I do think it is a good game. I'm not one to put Brawl/Brawlers down, bar when I'm purely messing around. I think I'm perfectly capable of talking about Melee and Brawl objectively.

Anyway, these videos aren't a waste of time and do present a lot of good information. That, of course, is not to say that most of the points you made are not arguable. Because they are. They are not all fact, and I wouldn't say that your "myths" are completely "busted," nor are they completely "myths." They may not be completely true, either, but they aren't founded on nonsense, so I wouldn't call them "myths."
Very well put.

I tried to bring Brawl and Melee closer together in the comparison for a few good reasons. 1) videos take a lot of time and effort so I tried to maximize the time I spent talking about a topic. This means that I tried to focus on one game and explain how an aspect is present in both. 2) Since I think 80%+ of the design of Brawl is shared with Melee, trying to speak to this shared present seemed like a good plan.

Some of the myths are "obviously" an exaggeration, and some are harder to work with. I hoped that anyone would debate specifics of anything they disagreed with. Some have. That's great.

Otherwise, I think the topics I presented are detailed and too advanced for most people to fully grasp. The articles I link to on my blog go into so much more detail, and then there's still so much more to everything. I certainly take most of the blame for how things are turning out. I knew the risks and did my best. I figured learning as I go and being willing to work through a problem are the important qualities to uphold. People love to read into voices, faces, and bias rather than focus on the exact diction/logic of statements. When threated or challenge people tend to listen half way. :ohwell:

About Brawl being slow, campy, or easier and presenting this as bad, I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but I did talk about game speed/pace, speed of attacks, and skill barriers. I think some were confused by the statements I made about technical characters. And even if I was off the mark, that's fine. Others have brought it up and we've straighted a few things out. I never expected not to make a few mistakes.

I've been arguing for Melee for a long time now against other fighting gamers who really think nothing of Smash. Furthermore, I tend to lump Brawl and Melee's systems together and refer to it as just "Smash." There are many who look at my videos as trying to be objective, unbais, and fair for both sides. But like I said, I'm just trying to get people to see that both games are great and to give them the language to talk about either in great detail.

One thing I tried to show is that every topic that seems simple is actually quite complicated. I tried to be very nitpicky and detailed in the video to raise a lot of doubt in the things we commonly believe about either Brawl or Melee so we can take a closer look at why we like either one.

If we're still having problems, then lets just talk about Melee. Leave the entire Brawl side of things out of the conversation. Even when we focus the conversation like this, I am not confident that most of us here will be able to say anything clear or insightful about the game WE love.

So for those who think that all of this flamming isn't getting us anywhere, according to the responses from the survey, we (as a whole) are already not going anywhere. Game design is so complicated and detailed, I'm afraid we'll never have really powerful debates/discoveries here without considering all the different perspectives I tried to illuminate in my videos.

I kind of like bias myself, as long as we can still look at subjects and measure things objectively. I'm a sticker for language, method, and measurements. Does it matter that I love Brawl? As long as I can measure something and present the info to you, who cares?

I guess one thing I really wanted to find out is if it bugs others to not be able to fully explain something that they love. It really bugs me. At the end of the day I have tons of opinions. They're the most abundant element in the universe. But I'd rather know than feel, cause I can articulate, prove, and share what I know.

Was that clear? :confused:

BEES

Smash Lord
I like that you're trying to start a civilized dialog. Those have broken down in the past, but you've kept a cool, level head even though a lot of us might disagree with you.

I will be the first to admit, I have tremendous biases. You couldn't pay me to play Brawl. Is it the game for me? No it definitely isn't, and I think the differences in gameplay are far greater at a competitive level than 20%, between Brawl and Melee. Still, I take Brawl players seriously, because I've played the game and I've seen vids of very skilled Brawl players. The games are about as similar as chess and checkers. The board might look the same, and they both have kings, but pretty different stuff happens in each game.

(And for reference, some people like to use the Chess/Checkers analogy to discredit whichever game they consider 'Checkers'. I am not doing that, because I know how competitive Checkers is. It has a rating system and world championships just like Chess, and the best players would mop the floor with anyone here. The theoretical simplicity of Checkers compared to Chess kicks in beyond the levels that humans play at.)

ICHIGOBLEACH

Smash Apprentice
All of the defensive options have pros and cons. Learning low to play Brawl well involves playing to keep the advantage despite the defensives moves. If you think staying in your shield, going for a lot of "easy" perfect shields, and shield grabbing is the best way to win, then let me know how well you do in tournament/friendlies.

I never said that specials aren't used at all. I said they're used less. And this is true. Yes, everyone plays with a different style. But like I said, the pallet of moves they have to work with is smaller in Melee if and when specials and ground moves are moved much less.
i'm not saying there the best way to win but they are superior in brawl than they are in melee, don't talk down to me
also lol at "easy" perfect shields. they are easy. why do you see so many more perfect shields in brawl?
sure some characters don't use all of their specials but think about it, some use only one or two but they do it A LOT(think of all the lasers/shines). others don't really need their specials but there ground and air games make up for it completely(like shiek)

"fairly commonly" .... "a good amount" .... I have a hard time understanding what this means exactly.

So I look to the Melee APM thread to help me out. It tells me exactly many special moves some players use at a high level. Sure, everyone uses at least a few specials, but just look at the numbers. Mano pounds = 5. Baris/fairs/nairs 42/37/32. Some people use more specials than others, but the data speaks for itself.

I suggest pointing at specific examples from the data.
you pulled up a jiggs match from the APM thread. come on now obviously jiggs isn't gonna be using her specials a ton, but think about her specials and how much you really CAN use them. Pound will be seen the most for recovery, follow ups, combos, etc. Rest will be used but not a ton, as it requires a set up, but when it hits it's the best move in the game. Rollout and sing are lol. tldr: you gave a bad example
heres one
Player: DaShizWiz (Falco)
Match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc
Full jumps, short hops, and double jumps: 132x1 = 132
Dashes/walks – 64x1 = 64
Aerials – 57x1 = 57
Fast falls – 74x1 = 74
L-cancels – 53
Shields – 14
rolls - 7: (3 from shield, 4 out) 3x1+4x2 = 11
air dodge - 1x1 = 1
spot dodge - 3x2 = 6
grabs - 3x2 = 6
pummels - 0
throws - 3x1 = 3
di inputs - 41x1 = 41
up or side+bs - 11x2 = 22
lazers - 46 (45 came out, 1 interupted)x1 = 46
SHL turn around - 3x1 = 3
shines - 24x2 = 48
wavedashes - 14x3 = 42
wavelands - 2x2 = 4
tilts/smsahes - 14x2 = 28
dash attacks/jabs - 2x1 = 2
standing techs - 2x1 = 2
rolling techs - 2x2 = 4
get ups - 2x1 = 2
ledge drops - 11x1 = 11
platform drops - 7x1 = 7
wall jumps - 0
taunts - 0

Total match time: 3:09
Active match time (match time minus time spent idle/up+b'ing/dead): ~3:00
Total inputs: 683

look more specials than aerials, although only 2 of them were heavily used, this is a more common charactr than jiggs and also a far better example. see I can do it too

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
heres one

look more specials than aerials, although only 2 of them were heavily used, this is a more common charactr than jiggs and also a far better example. see I can do it too

LOL enough said. You take probably one of the most extreme examples of a player in Melee. Taking DaShizWiz's Falco as an example of "more specials than aerials" is like saying "oh look there's more salt than sugar in potato chips".

I'm not sure if there are many characters like (DaShizWiz's) Falco in that regard. Maybe Fox when played by Jman? Give me examples though, I might be wrong.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
This project has some serious obvious bias in it.

The whole point of your project is to translate the language of gamers, and connect them together. Yet you are only willing to take the literal messages given by the survey. A lot of arguments are just spun off and ignored.

There are also a lot of strawman arguments like "brawl is more complex because it has more characters" and "brawl is more complex because it has move moves". Brawl is a game that was released after melee, on a different system that has less limitations. To compare the two with the same expectation would be unfair. If the answer is really that obvious, don't bring it up at all.

Another problem is, you often focuses too much on "breaking myths". In one part, you ignored fox's dexterity requirement completely, then you go on and talk about how much dexterity is needed for a character like pit. If you truly want to be fair and unbiased, why would you ignore the most technical character in melee but not in brawl?

Not only that, throughout all of your episodes, you've spend more than 70% of them talking about brawl. The amount of mentioning time between the two games is unequal, and melee is usually only mentioned to show how it is inferior to brawl.

The attempt to definitional parts of your blog is really good. I can clearly see it help connect the two games together. But you must be ridiculing yourself if you think you are representing both sides fairly.

If I may suggest, make this into an opposing viewpoint debate, so both sides can be represented fairly. As of right now, I believe that the majority of the melee community will not take you seriously, and the main goal of your project will end as a failed attempt.

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm not saying there the best way to win but they are superior in brawl than they are in melee, don't talk down to me
also lol at "easy" perfect shields. they are easy. why do you see so many more perfect shields in brawl?
sure some characters don't use all of their specials but think about it, some use only one or two but they do it A LOT(think of all the lasers/shines). others don't really need their specials but there ground and air games make up for it completely(like shiek)
I'm not talking down to you.

Making a statement like defensive options are "superior" in Brawl doesn't say anything. Part of the point of this project is to encourage people to think better and make better claims. So use the glossary, and use the concepts of balance, interplay, dynamics, etc to make your case. Otherwise, there's nothing I can say about this "superior" quality.

Perfect shielding projectiles is much easier in Brawl. However, perfect shielding attacks that come out in about 0-24 frames is very difficult simply because of how human reflexes work. You need to either predict the opponent or just get lucky. If you get lucky, you also have to react and drop shield to capitalize. Perfect shielding attacks is so rare and possibly useless in Melee, that I can't find one example of players that use it on attacks and drop shield to get a necessary frame advantage (other than my match against SOS's fox and myabe one other that I can't remember).

I didn't say that characters are crippled because they don't use their specials as much. Obviously a character like Sheik does just fine with the amount of specials she/he/they use.

you pulled up a jiggs match from the APM thread. come on now obviously jiggs isn't gonna be using her specials a ton, but think about her specials and how much you really CAN use them. Pound will be seen the most for recovery, follow ups, combos, etc. Rest will be used but not a ton, as it requires a set up, but when it hits it's the best move in the game.
heres one

Aerials – 57x1 = 57
L-cancels – 53
grabs - 3x2 = 6
shines - 24x2 = 48

I talked about Jiggs because someone decided to list all the special moves so many characters use all the time, and Jiggs was on that list.

Also, I specifically said "outside of recovering" specials aren't use that much compared to aerials. Everyone uses their specials to help them recover. So even in these APM results, you have to look at the vids and substract all of those falco fires, umbrellas, etc from consideration. So then there are less specials that aerials used.

"CAN" use is pointless to argue. Sure, any player "CAN" use just about any move when they want. Whether they'll get away with it or hit it is what makes the difference. Anyone can alter their play style to include more specials, but the point is the game shapes their playstyles because of the relative effectiveness of strong aerials.

This project has some serious obvious bias in it.

The whole point of your project is to translate the language of gamers, and connect them together. Yet you are only willing to take the literal messages given by the survey. A lot of arguments are just spun off and ignored.
How else am I supposed to look at the language of gamers (terms, structures, word use) if I don't look at the literal messages. I can't infer feelings and there's no point in trying to guess other interpretations. The point is, if you think you're saying something, it's obvious that either 1) you're not saying hardly anything or 2) even if you are, other's aren't going to be able to understand you because we don't have a common gaming language.

A lot of arguments were "spun off" because the real meat of the statements would be addressed later is much clearer terms.

It's interesting that you point these things out, but perhaps you don't understand exactly what I'm doing here. If you have some alternative methods that work I'd like to hear them.

There are also a lot of strawman arguments like "brawl is more complex because it has more characters" and "brawl is more complex because it has move moves". Brawl is a game that was released after melee, on a different system that has less limitations. To compare the two with the same expectation would be unfair. If the answer is really that obvious, don't bring it up at all.
This is not a straw man argument. I defined complexity. In fact, I defined just about every concept you might think about in terms of gaming. Definitions are important, and because we're looking closely at language, I had to use the "new" definition to explain that Brawl has more game rules (complexities) than Melee. Whether you like games with more complexities are not, this is how it is.

I know that many use the word "complexities" liberally or confuse it with many other gaming terms. I pointed that out in the video. One person even thought that complexities is everything in a game (skill, depth, balance, etc.). That definition simply will not work for clear communication. So I presented the best definition I could come up with after years of work, and I won't spend any more time in the video explain why it works so well. I'll simply use it and move on.

The answer is obvious, but obviously not everyone is going to have the same definitions in mind. And not everyone is as intelligent as everyone else here. So breaking it down is a good thing for all of us to get on the same page.

I didn't compare the two with the same "expectation." This is not about being "unfair" to a video game. That's ridiculous. This is about communication, breaking down language, using terms, and trying to make statements that are as clear and game design minded as possible. Like I said, you can compare the skill of playing the Violin to playing a video game. This may seem crazy only until you realize that any two task/actions can be compared.

If you don't think my terms, method, or style works then focus on that instead of being "fair" to a plastic disk.

Another problem is, you often focuses too much on "breaking myths". In one part, you ignored fox's dexterity requirement completely, then you go on and talk about how much dexterity is needed for a character like pit. If you truly want to be fair and unbiased, why would you ignore the most technical character in melee but not in brawl?
I didn't ignore fox's dexterity. Since so many people believe, think, assume that Fox's dexterity is through the roof (with good reason), I used that to represent the top. From there, I compared fast buttons with Fox to fast buttons with Pit. Though Pit may be less in many maneuvers, I also added a new way to think about technical skill ie control.dexterity skills. By looping multiple arrows and controlling Pit simultaneously, I wanted people to think about tech skill in new ways other than fast fingers.

Fox can obviously be played with a lot of dexterity skill. It was acknowledged, used, and moved on from because it's obvious/commonly known based on survey responses.

Not only that, throughout all of your episodes, you've spend more than 70% of them talking about brawl. The amount of mentioning time between the two games is unequal, and melee is usually only mentioned to show how it is inferior to brawl.
If you listen or read more closely, you find that I used the survey responses (which I've already described in this thread) to shape the content of the episodes. If so many survey takers didn't make so many bold statements about Brawl, the videos would have been more neutral. In response to what most survey takers can learn, the videos have a brawl focus. Because the videos are a comparison, talking about one is in part talking about both.

And you say "inferior" but these are merely comparisons. Though I've said both games are very complex, have impossibly high skill ceilings, have tons of depth, and share 80%+ of their design, you still think I only put Melee down? It really seems to me that you're looking for a "which game is better" from the videos instead of "what can I learn and how can I express what I think."

The attempt to definitional parts of your blog is really good. I can clearly see it help connect the two games together. But you must be ridiculing yourself if you think you are representing both sides fairly.

If I may suggest, make this into an opposing viewpoint debate, so both sides can be represented fairly. As of right now, I believe that the majority of the melee community will not take you seriously, and the main goal of your project will end as a failed attempt.
Say what you want about how you think the project is going or will go. That's fine. You've articulated your thoughts well, which is all I can really ask. Still, you talk more about the presentation than the content. The vids take a long time to make and I can only cram so much into them. So if you think my statements or arguments are false regardless of any perceived bias, do focus on the games. Or like I said above, focus on just Melee.

The number of times that the "special' moves or ground moves are being used is irrelevant (to an extent). For example jiggs rest. Even if the jiggs player doesn't use rest at all, it's still a HUGE part of the match, because the opponent constantly has that on their mind when they're playing, trying to avoid being uptilted or just generally set up for it.

Even if Marth rarely uses F-Smash, the opponent is still spacing to avoid it.
The same applies to Marth's Down B.

The same applies to tons of these moves. A lot of the power of these moves isn't their actual use, it's the potential for their actual use. As someone who plays lots of chess (based on the videos you made), you know about the power of potential attacks, and how they can have even more of an effect than real attacks.
The problem with thinking about how much the potential to use a move affects a real match is that you can't really take any conclusive data. So instead of entering that whole gray area, I stick to something I can actually measure. Counting the actual number of moves used is the only way to go. It's not "irrelevant." Think about it this way, if your best move is rest and your opponent plays their whole game to never let you get in close enough to use it, then based on the way they play you probably won't be using rest. So it's significant that you didn't use rest. You were influenced or scared out of using it.

Apply that to every move a character can use. If one actually uses a move in a match they're trying to win, they probably feel like the risk-reward for using that move is good enough for them. Otherwise, they'll probably opt for less risky and more rewarding moves (probably aerials).

Oh, and I know the rules of chess, but I don't play at all really. I've studied matches and have a friend who's really into it.

The closest I come to chess is this Advanced Wars - Chess strategy comparison.

http://critical-gaming.squarespace.com/blog/2009/5/9/the-interplay-of-advance-wars.html

ICHIGOBLEACH

Smash Apprentice
LOL enough said. You take probably one of the most extreme examples of a player in Melee. Taking DaShizWiz's Falco as an example of "more specials than aerials" is like saying "oh look there's more salt than sugar in potato chips".

I'm not sure if there are many characters like (DaShizWiz's) Falco in that regard. Maybe Fox when played by Jman? Give me examples though, I might be wrong.
no, shiz has been a technical player for a long time but as the metagame progresses people are getting more technical and using more lasers, shines, etc
and lol idiot he used jigglypuff and that's not extreme? get of his ****

iPlayer: DaShizWiz (Falco)
Full jumps, short hops, and double jumps: 132x1 = 132
Dashes/walks – 64x1 = 64
[Aerials – 57x1 = 57
Fast falls – 74x1 = 74
L-cancels – 53
Shields – 14
rolls - 7: (3 from shield, 4 out) 3x1+4x2 = 11
air dodge - 1x1 = 1
spot dodge - 3x2 = 6
grabs - 3x2 = 6
pummels - 0
throws - 3x1 = 3
di inputs - 41x1 = 41
shines - 24x2 = 48

wavedashes - 14x3 = 42
wavelands - 2x2 = 4
tilts/smsahes - 14x2 = 28
dash attacks/jabs - 2x1 = 2
standing techs - 2x1 = 2
rolling techs - 2x2 = 4
get ups - 2x1 = 2
ledge drops - 11x1 = 11
platform drops - 7x1 = 7
wall jumps - 0
taunts - 0

I'm not talking down to you.

Making a statement like defensive options are "superior" in Brawl doesn't say anything. Part of the point of this project is to encourage people to think better and make better claims. So use the glossary, and use the concepts of balance, interplay, dynamics, etc to make your case. Otherwise, there's nothing I can say about this "superior" quality.

Perfect shielding projectiles is much easier in Brawl. However, perfect shielding attacks that come out in about 0-24 frames is very difficult simply because of how human reflexes work. You need to either predict the opponent or just get lucky. If you get lucky, you also have to react and drop shield to capitalize. Perfect shielding attacks is so rare and possibly useless in Melee, that I can't find one example of players that use it on attacks and drop shield to get a necessary frame advantage (other than my match against SOS's fox and myabe one other that I can't remember).

Also, I specifically said "outside of recovering" specials aren't use that much compared to aerials. Everyone uses their specials to help them recover. So even in these APM results, you have to look at the vids and substract all of those falco fires, umbrellas, etc from consideration. So then there are less specials that aerials used.
first off they ARE superior in brawl and it does say something, it's easier to perfect shield(and YES if you get "lucky" you have to "react." this is extremely simple), shields are bigger and work better, less shield stun, etc. You can't deny this

now to the APM part. sorry can you count? don't worry i can help you
first off
57 aerials ok?
now lets look at shines and lasers(hint these aren't recovery moves)
lasers: 48(46-the one that was interrupted plus 3 turn around)
shines(48)
so now let's do the math and i'll walk you through it
96 specials and 57 aerials
96specials>57aerials
in this match specials>aerials
we good here?

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
no, shiz has been a technical player for a long time but as the metagame progresses people are getting more technical and using more lasers, shines, etc
and lol idiot he used jigglypuff and that's not extreme? get of his ****
Yes, it's not extreme. The Jiggs comment was a direct reply to Puu's comment about how specials are used "fairly commonly by commonly used characters:" "Jiggs: Pound, Rest"

It's not like I picked Jiggs out of the blue. I specifically referred to the APM thread and referred to data from other characters as well.

You can say the metagame is progressing all you want. But the best way to convey an idea like this is by referring to good data like in the APM thread (like you do below).

first off they ARE superior in brawl and it does say something, it's easier to perfect shield(and YES if you get "lucky" you have to "react." this is extremely simple), shields are bigger and work better, less shield stun, etc. You can't deny this
This is why it doesn't help to talk about the difficult of something by using "easy" or "hard." Others in this thread describe L-canceling as extremely simple. Some have expressed that it's really hard for them. How do we reconcile what's hard for one and easy for another? We don't. That's why it's better to talk about the design itself.

If you have links to a bunch of shield stun data from both games, I'd love to read through it. It's my understanding that the timing window for perfect shielding is bigger. This makes it easier to pull off and therefore you should see it more in matches. Shields are bigger? What about light shielding? Aren't those the biggest shields in Smash?

You list a bunch of different things but looking at these examples as isolated cases isn't going to work. The reason video games are complicated is because small changes in one area can have rippling effects overall. Even if shields are "better" we have to consider any new properties for attacks, the combat design, and other factors.

Still, the word "superior" isn't accurate enough. You have to say something like, for X situation, Y style of option result in Z happening. Because of Z, I think ... so on and so forth. Using a single adjective to try to support a very complex situation will only lead to confusion and vague ambiguities.

now to the APM part. sorry can you count? don't worry i can help you
first off
57 aerials ok?
now lets look at shines and lasers(hint these aren't recovery moves)
lasers: 48(46-the one that was interrupted plus 3 turn around)
shines(48)
so now let's do the math and i'll walk you through it
96 specials and 57 aerials
96specials>57aerials
in this match specials>aerials
we good here?
Did you look at the number of shines and then use the APM number instead of the raw number of executions? As Pit would say "nice try." :laugh:

Ok, that was a bit of a joke. Looking at the data again, it looks like it's 57 aerials vs about 70 specials. That's roughly a 45-55% relationship. It's close enough to 50-50. That's a pretty good spread either way you look at it.

Looking at one players data from one match isn't enough. I remember playing a kid who would do nothing else by dash reverse lase short up fast fall on FD. It was kind of funny. Extreme, unsuccessful, but funny.

The hardest part about making statements about a whole is that it'll either be general, or people will look at singular example that don't match up perfectly. Statisticians and math people know how tricky numbers can be. So if I fail to communicate everything perfectly well, you'll have to cut me some slack.

I think a better lesson here is that everyone makes mistakes (you and me included). While I'm sitting here carefully reading through tons of text from everyone and looking through lots of data, you may just be reading and responding to what I say. This project is a bit draining. The more tired I am, the more mistakes I'll make.

Just try to tone down the internet sarcasm a bit next time.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Question:
When you decided to make these videos, in your mind was it mostly a response to those who took the survey, or was it a video for everyone else on the interwebs?

That question is important because it will explain a lot of the Melee player's frustration. If it is only a response to the survey takers, then this makes much more sense because most of the survey takers were saying anti-Brawl things. However, if this is meant for the public, we will get frustrated because you are not representing Melee in good light for those who are ignorant to the games/community.

Again, if you really wanted to be more balanced, you would use the common anti-Melee arguments, whether or not they showed up in the survey. I know you are capable of doing this. You can't blame the Brawl focus of these videos on the survey takers if you really wanted to do a fair, objective research project.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Question:
When you decided to make these videos, in your mind was it mostly a response to those who took the survey, or was it a video for everyone else on the interwebs?

That question is important because it will explain a lot of the Melee player's frustration. If it is only a response to the survey takers, then this makes much more sense because most of the survey takers were saying anti-Brawl things. However, if this is meant for the public, we will get frustrated because you are not representing Melee in good light for those who are ignorant to the games/community.

Again, if you really wanted to be more balanced, you would use the common anti-Melee arguments, whether or not they showed up in the survey. I know you are capable of doing this. You can't blame the Brawl focus of these videos on the survey takers if you really wanted to do a fair, objective research project.
I don't think my blog or my youtube channel gets enough hits to be considered "public." By appealing to smashboards I expected most of the audience to be smashboards people. I figured more people would stay along for the process if they're a part of it, and at the same time, I could respond and tweak things as I went along.

I decided to make videos because I figured most people wouldn't read through the written equivalents. Also, I've already written about many of the topics covered in the video, so I figured it might help exposer to put it in video form.

Though I've been a part of the Smash community for a long time, I'm not what you might call a smashboard frequenter. (just look at how few posts I have!) I tune in every once in a while, but I felt that I was not up to speed with any current "common arguments" from either side of the divide. Just reading through all 330+ responses was very illuminating.

Based on the frustration/backlash here, I'm making adjustments to the final summary episode.

On a side note, I'm not sure how much of the Brawl focus/bias interferes with the "fairness" and "objectivity" of the videos. Like you said, I'm aware that the video isn't balanced sentence for sentence between positive/negative Brawl comments and equivalent Melee comments. Still, based on how I phrased the initial post, I think people automatically expected a balanced video presentation. To me, the fair part is playing by the "rules" I set. I kept the submitters anonymous, I answered all the questions I could, and I included every topic I could squeeze into the videos from the survey.

Beside defining everything, I tried to stay general and open ended to stimulate thought and debate. I didn't anticipate so many people becoming upset by leaving certain topics hanging... so to speak.

As far as being objective, I think breaking things down, restricting the investigation to only interpreting language (written statements), and trying to promote measurable data as the priority factor is being objective.

I could have been more sensitive to the feelings of Melee people. Instead of appealing to their sense of logic, I would have achieved less frustrated results by appealing to their love of the game.Question: If I did so, do you think more people in this thread would be embracing the ideas and language I presented? Or would they cheer for the videos and then move on without learning anything new?

The next time I do something like this, things will be different.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I think your language and definitions are all great, people are just frustrated at how you applied those definitions to the games. It ended up applying the definitions to Brawl in what seemed to us like an attempt to make Brawl seem better, or Melee worse. Normally this wouldn't be much of an issue, but the fact that it almost exclusively had this format and was advertised as (or we were expecting, at least) an objective research project comparing the two games, it frustrated some people.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think your language and definitions are all great, people are just frustrated at how you applied those definitions to the games. It ended up applying the definitions to Brawl in what seemed to us like an attempt to make Brawl seem better, or Melee worse. Normally this wouldn't be much of an issue, but the fact that it almost exclusively had this format and was advertised as (or we were expecting, at least) an objective research project comparing the two games, it frustrated some people.
I think I can patch things up a bit in the last video. It may not be enough for the people who think Melee is hands down superior in Brawl in every way, but it should make most happy here.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I think I can patch things up a bit in the last video. It may not be enough for the people who think Melee is hands down superior in Brawl in every way, but it should make most happy here.
Well, forget people who think that. They are two different games that appeal to different people.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
How else am I supposed to look at the language of gamers (terms, structures, word use) if I don't look at the literal messages. I can't infer feelings and there's no point in trying to guess other interpretations. The point is, if you think you're saying something, it's obvious that either 1) you're not saying hardly anything or 2) even if you are, other's aren't going to be able to understand you because we don't have a common gaming language.
It is true that there isn't a common language between the two community, so there's often a misunderstanding between the two community.

But when you only take the literal meaning of their statements, and claim that their view is incorrect and illogical; the people who made those statements won't be able to accept your response that dismisses their arguments. (which is often shown within this thead)

Without a clear language between the two games, dismissing "myths" in the community with literal meaning without the player's actual meanings will only make you seem arrogant and unfair. When players from one community feel that they are not represented fairly, it is harder to take your project seriously.

A lot of arguments were "spun off" because the real meat of the statements would be addressed later is much clearer terms.
If that's really the case, then you really need to reconsider the way you organize you present your project. If you know that the real interpretation of the "myths" you brought up. Finding a version of it that's not as well defined and write off the arguments as incorrect is not being fair.

Being a member in both community for a long time, I'm sure you know what the players feel about both games. Even if your interpretation of the arguments may not be 100% the same as the player, it is still better than ignoring the actual meaning of the arguments that they are making.

Here's a quote of what you said in episode 2:
To end a conversation in a GG, we have to figure out not that we have different opinions and ideas, but why.
I agree with this statement, but the premise of this statement is that the "opinions" of both sides must be represented, not hindered by literal texts.

If the opinions of players are not presented, then there's really no real way of figuring out why we have different opinions.

Here's another quote that you stated in episode 2:
Unfortunately, when most smashers think Melee, they probably have a match up with Fox/Falco as one of the characters in mind. These fast characters certainly don’t make up the majority of the melee experience even though they dominate the tournament scene.
And the myth you brought up is:
Myth 2.1 Melee requires more dexterity (technical) skill than Brawl. (when playing on a high level)
Considering that spacies make up more than 70% of the melee metagame, while a character like pit barely shows up in competitive scenes at all. It would be unfair to ignore spacies and include pit. (especially when the premise says "on a high level")

It also feels weird that you don't compare the APM chart of melee and brawl players to see if the dexterity between the two games. Instead, you talk about the "possibilities" of brawl needing dexterity without showing any form of statistics or sources.

Also, brawl is dexterous under the following premise:
For a simple example there are “button mashing” moves. Pikachu’s jab, Ness’ dtilt, Pit’s Angle Ring, and MK’s Mach tornado are a few examples of moves that get better/more versatile with a high speed execution.
Under your definition for dexterity, it consists of speed, control, harmony, efficiency, and stamina.

A button mashing move then would be less dexterous because of a lesser focus to control, harmony, and stamina. Which would make brawl advance play less dexterous than melee.

Like I said, you can compare the skill of playing the Violin to playing a video game. This may seem crazy only until you realize that any two task/actions can be compared.
I never argued that having a definition for the skill needed is a bad thing. It's just that even with the definition that you stated, some arguments can be brought up that you quickly moved away from. Like stated above.

And you say "inferior" but these are merely comparisons. Though I've said both games are very complex, have impossibly high skill ceilings, have tons of depth, and share 80%+ of their design, you still think I only put Melee down? It really seems to me that you're looking for a "which game is better" from the videos instead of "what can I learn and how can I express what I think."
Both games have moves that hit in 1 frame all the way up to 120+ frames. As far as variety goes, Brawl has the edge on Melee. Moves like Diddy’s bananas, Snakes upsamsh/C4/grenades/nakita/dsmash, Pits infinitely looping arrows and Wings of Icarus, Rob’s Gyro, Robo beam charge, and Robo burner, Wario Waft charge and Bike add more lengthier timer to combat, which expands the upper range of the timing skill ceiling.
One can argue that the overall pacing of melee is faster, and players having the ability to buffer the opponent's SHFFL timing with the position of their shield is completely ignored. Also, as you stated

Likewise, in a situation where I have to do something specific if A happens and something else if B happens, my reaction times increase to 21 frames. And if I’m stressed, overloaded with information, or in the middle of doing something else, this number can increase to the point where I’m practically blind
Wouldn't the overall fasting pacing melee have a more difficult timing sequence since the overall pacing is faster? And when the amount of time given to respond is much lesser than brawl, wouldn't the timing requirement to "plav at a high level" be more important for melee?

You simply stated that brawl has an edge over melee because it has a larger move set, which no body can argue against.

And when you use the move set of the game to determine who has an "edge" over the other, you are comparing two games with equal expectations.

For every move in the game, if you can think of a character that exemplifies that move in their common playstyle, there’s a good chance that the game has fleshed out its design space distinctly rather than making a lot of characters that are slight variations of the same fighting style.
The grabber: DDD Marth
The Roller: Lucario
The arial dancer: Wario jiggs
The Flyer: Pit
The Sniper: Rob
The jabber: Ike, Snake
Tilt master: Shiek, Snake
Free Smasher: G&W
The speedster: Sonic, Fox, Fox
The B move trickster: Diddy
Ranged explosions expert: Snake
Range Grabber: Yoshi
The low flying danger: Peach
In Melee’s case L-canceling makes characters most effective and most used moves aerial attacks. This makes ground attacks less used and special attacks used sparingly outside of recovering. The Melee APM thread confirms this (and just about any high level video you can find). Even if the game has a fleshed out design space of ground, special, and air ttacks, the metagame or the tournament gameplay does not use it evenly.
In this case, you imply that melee's metagame is all about L-canceling. Which is true. However, why didn't you target brawl's metagame? In most matches, it's not uncommon to see metaknight spamming tornadoes, sharking his opponent, or planking. Then characters have have chaingrabs would most likely focus more on getting the chain grabs than anything else.

Wouldn't this make brawl's mechanics more monotonous than melees? Just because there are more move sets in brawl, it doesn't mean that every players would use all of the move set in top level plays.

Also, why didn't you mention tripping in brawl? You've mentioned that it works in the favor to stay on ground to fight, but you failed to mention that it can also hinder players that wishes to fight on the ground.

Overall, it feels like when you're talking about melee, you're talking about the existing metagame, but when you're talking about brawl, you often shy away from the metagame and talk about brawl's possibilities.

And if you're going to argue that brawl's metagame isn't that develop yet, then it would be unfair to judge brawl in the current state, and this project should only be done after brawl's metagame becomes more developed.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
It is true that there isn't a common language between the two community, so there's often a misunderstanding between the two community.

But when you only take the literal meaning of their statements, and claim that their view is incorrect and illogical; the people who made those statements won't be able to accept your response that dismisses their arguments. (which is often shown within this thead)

Without a clear language between the two games, dismissing "myths" in the community with literal meaning without the player's actual meanings will only make you seem arrogant and unfair. When players from one community feel that they are not represented fairly, it is harder to take your project seriously.
There's no pretty way to clean up a language issue like this. There's no nice way to explain that someone can't even explain or accurately define the statements/views/terms they've been using. There's no simple way to say that the entire framework of one's language has too many overlaps and therefore one says nearly nothing when making statements.

I explained carefully that gamers have good instincts. This means the observations made by us as a whole are pretty close to being accurate. Other than that, I had to sort out this messy business of terms and language.

Someone has to make a hard and fast separation between the definitions/terms that aren't going to work and a system that will. So I offered video explanation, an internet glossary, and plenty of support material. I'm not going to baby the situation.

Some of the statements are incorrect and illogical. Some are mean spirited. Some point to some real insight. I addressed such examples different.

Also, it's not up to me to figure out the players "actual meaning." Seriously, not to sound rude, but it's stuff like this that I've spent years learning about as an English major. Language has so much ambiguities and possible authorial meanings that I could have spent an additional 10-20 hours reading survey comments and be no closer to the "actual meaning" behind the statements. This is not to mention that it's very possible and very likely that the "actual meanings" between any two contributors are contradictory.

If you feel like I'm arrogant or unfair, that's better than a lot of alternatives. If you have a problem with anything, I expect you to say something about it here or via email.

If that's really the case, then you really need to reconsider the way you organize you present your project. If you know that the real interpretation of the "myths" you brought up. Finding a version of it that's not as well defined and write off the arguments as incorrect is not being fair.

Being a member in both community for a long time, I'm sure you know what the players feel about both games. Even if your interpretation of the arguments may not be 100% the same as the player, it is still better than ignoring the actual meaning of the arguments that they are making.
I can only assume what the "real interpretation" of the statements are. My assumption, once again, is based on the belief that gamers have good instincts and they make decent to insightful observations. So, by assuming everyone means to say something truthful and thorough, I simply continued with the video series to cover every major fighting game topic I could squeeze in.

I didn't ignore the actual meanings. I attacked the language (one of the primary focuses of the project) and I addressed the key debating concepts.

Here's a quote of what you said in episode 2:

I agree with this statement, but the premise of this statement is that the "opinions" of both sides must be represented, not hindered by literal texts.

If the opinions of players are not presented, then there's really no real way of figuring out why we have different opinions.
I also said there are two places for our opinions in a discussion; the beginning and the end. So in the middle of this project, I'm going to ignore opinions for the most part and focus on the game design theory and language.

After we get on the same page, then (and only then) will it be worth it to try and figure out how these games have shaped our opinions/emotions.

Here's another quote that you stated in episode 2:

And the myth you brought up is:

Considering that spacies make up more than 70% of the melee metagame, while a character like pit barely shows up in competitive scenes at all. It would be unfair to ignore spacies and include pit. (especially when the premise says "on a high level")

It also feels weird that you don't compare the APM chart of melee and brawl players to see if the dexterity between the two games. Instead, you talk about the "possibilities" of brawl needing dexterity without showing any form of statistics or sources.
Like I already explained in the thread, I didn't ignore the Fox or the other high dexterous characters. I put them at the top because they're widely thought of as representing the top.

I said most people probably think of a match with these fast characters in it when they think of Melee dexterity to explain that it's important to consider all the characters in Brawl and Melee. So this is not just about tournament winning characters or the metagame. It's about looking at characters and how they play at a high level.

I play pit on a high level. :mad:

If you know of a Brawl APM thread/data out there, do give me the link. I was under the impression that there isn't one/any.

Also, brawl is dexterous under the following premise:

Under your definition for dexterity, it consists of speed, control, harmony, efficiency, and stamina.

A button mashing move then would be less dexterous because of a lesser focus to control, harmony, and stamina. Which would make brawl advance play less dexterous than melee.
I'm sure you understand what a "simple example" means. The way I phrased the statement implies that there are other examples that are more complicated. So there's no point in trying make such a bold statement about the dexterity of all of Brawl's advanced play.

But you did make an interesting statement. It's very detailed/nitpicky which I like. It's hard for me to complain when you're embracing/using the terms like you are. So I'll say this... if you isolate button mashing moves/moments, yes, while mashing you might not have to use the other facets of dexterity skills hardly at all. However, these moments are brief in a match lasting seconds at a time. Being able to focus on just speed.dexterity skills and then switch back into normal fighting takes more dexterity skills than just mashing and just playing independently. So depending on your grip technique (efficiency), if you have to control your character movement as well like Luigi (control), you throw in a cautionary DI motion or tech actions (harmony) the amount of dexterity skills doesn't necessary drop like you described.

I never argued that having a definition for the skill needed is a bad thing. It's just that even with the definition that you stated, some arguments can be brought up that you quickly moved away from. Like stated above.

One can argue that the overall pacing of melee is faster, and players having the ability to buffer the opponent's SHFFL timing with the position of their shield is completely ignored. Also, as you stated

Wouldn't the overall fasting pacing melee have a more difficult timing sequence since the overall pacing is faster? And when the amount of time given to respond is much lesser than brawl, wouldn't the timing requirement to "plav at a high level" be more important for melee?
You're argument above was thoughtful, but it didn't hold up. I'm curious to know if you read any of the 19 part article series that explain the DKART system more thoroughly. Like I said in the videos, the full explanations are there, not in the video summaries.

I "completely ignored" a lot of things because (like I said already multiple times in this thread) I can't even come close to covering everything. If you wanted to make a point/case for something not covered in the video, that's exactly what this thread is for.

Even if you change your opponent's SHFFL timings, how much of a time difference is that really? 1-15 frames? 1/4 of a second max? Sure that might throw of your timing, but that isn't much of a difference.

The unique, funny, and tricky part about timing is that timing challenges are defined by the amount of time they take up. In other words, clapping your hands every 2 seconds isn't necessarily harder or easier than clapping your hands every 2.5 or 3 seconds. This applies to timings within a certain window (let's say about half a second to 5 seconds). The reason this is, I think, is because of the limitations of our STM to consciously count/hold the time passed in our heads.

We also have to be careful when we're talking about timing challenges and how/if that relates to reflex skills. The skill spectrum is a fluid system with overlap after all. Even if you present a timing challenge, people can overcome it with timing or reflex or adaptation (lucky guess) skills.

So Melee's fast pace stresses lots of Reflex and speed.dexterity skills. Players play fast, and watch out for quick and fast moving changes/attacks. Etc. The thing is, when gameplay plays almost universally fast (like Melee) it brings many of the timings much closer together. Think of this like playing a fast song in an orchestra. Everyone is playing fast and it seems all normal.

Now compare that to Brawl where things are slower (like playing a slower song in the orchestra). Just like with the fast song, you sort of sync into the slower speed. Because both games have moves/strategies that are faster than we can react to (0-12 frames) and plenty of moves/strategies that we can react to easily (13-beyond), we can look at another interesting way that timing skills are stressed to make things more challenging.

Basically, if a faster tempo is about as hard to maintain as a slower tempo (timing wise only), then changing tempos is more difficult than both. This is why the 3 second Snake grenades versus the 2 second arrow looping can be so hard to wrap your mind around. Complex timings, accelerating/decelerating, and internal timing are harder than static/external timing. So the longer timings a game has, the more potential there is to create complex and accel/decel situations in the gameplay.

If you haven't, give the "Timing" game I made a try. Playing it for 5 minutes or so will shows you all the different ways timing can be difficult.

So just looking at timing challenges/skills, Brawl has the potential for many slight variations all the way up to large timing challenges/variations.

You simply stated that brawl has an edge over melee because it has a larger move set, which no body can argue against.

And when you use the move set of the game to determine who has an "edge" over the other, you are comparing two games with equal expectations.
The basic idea of making a comparison involves looking for some kind of common element or quality between two unlike things. Simply looking at the complexities, depth, or skill challenges in Brawl and Melee doesn't mean I expect these games to have it. It means that I'm looking for it if they do have it. If one game doesn't have something, that's a difference I'll deal with. We're looking for differences and similarities. It doesn't matter what we expect. And it doesn't matter if we expect certain things to be equal.

In this case, you imply that melee's metagame is all about L-canceling. Which is true. However, why didn't you target brawl's metagame? In most matches, it's not uncommon to see metaknight spamming tornadoes, sharking his opponent, or planking. Then characters have have chaingrabs would most likely focus more on getting the chain grabs than anything else.

Wouldn't this make brawl's mechanics more monotonous than melees? Just because there are more move sets in brawl, it doesn't mean that every players would use all of the move set in top level plays.
Talking about Melee's design may refer to how the metagame has shaped up, but I tried to keep things general. So I didn't talk about how Jiggs is doing whatever to Melee's metagame. And I didn't talk about MK's strategies.

Also, why didn't you mention tripping in brawl? You've mentioned that it works in the favor to stay on ground to fight, but you failed to mention that it can also hinder players that wishes to fight on the ground.
I was going to talk about tripping in the Summary in ep 5. You know I was short on time in most of the vids right? I also talked about tripping in this thread.

Overall, it feels like when you're talking about melee, you're talking about the existing metagame, but when you're talking about brawl, you often shy away from the metagame and talk about brawl's possibilities.

And if you're going to argue that brawl's metagame isn't that develop yet, then it would be unfair to judge brawl in the current state, and this project should only be done after brawl's metagame becomes more developed.
Obviously it's difficult to try and think of Melee without thinking of all of its development. And while Brawl is growing fast I think we can say some things about how it's shaping up. There's no way Brawl's metagame will catch up to Melee's time wise. So there will always be an issue of "fairness."

So just focus as much as you can on the language and the core design, unless you want to zoom in on something specific. Talking about a metagame is a huge undertaking that no one is ready for yet.

BEES

Smash Lord
Melee has a larger moveset than Brawl. Brawl has more characters, and the characters have more diversity. The moves that Melee has that Brawl lacks are all critical components to its depth as a fighting game.

It's important to note that movesets are not something Smash Bros has going for it compared to other fighters... we need all the moves we can get. Melee and Brawl have a severely limited vocabulary of attacks. Melee's strength is its abundance of movement and evasion techniques.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Melee has a larger moveset than Brawl. Brawl has more characters, and the characters have more diversity. The moves that Melee has that Brawl lacks are all critical components to its depth as a fighting game.

It's important to note that movesets are not something Smash Bros has going for it compared to other fighters... we need all the moves we can get. Melee and Brawl have a severely limited vocabulary of attacks. Melee's strength is its abundance of movement and evasion techniques.
Why do you think Melee has a larger moveset than Brawl? They have the same amount of tilts, specials, jabs, ledge attacks, get up attacks, throw item up/down/sideways, etc. Brawl has unique attacks for attacking out of a trip and gliding but that hardly tips the scale.

I think Smash characters have about the same number of moves as Street Fighter characters once you count all of Smash's moves. It should be around 40-50. Soul Calibur has tons of moves. 100+ Geeze. Monkey Fight has 2. Wii Sports Boxing has 7 or so.

I wouldn't say "severely limited" but I know what you're saying.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Speaking of Street Fighter (and going a little off topic here), has anyone really figured out what the average APM output of a competitive SFIV/II match is? I've always been interested in comparing the technical difficulty of SF and Smash, and I have pretty limited knowledge of the finer points of SF (I tried getting into it at one point, but didn't get far).

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
Someone has to make a hard and fast separation between the definitions/terms that aren't going to work and a system that will. So I offered video explanation, an internet glossary, and plenty of support material. I'm not going to baby the situation.
I agree that giving meanings to terms and definition is not a easy thing to do, so it must done with care and consideration.

For example:
Viable options means mostly safe, or rather options that give you a low chance of being countered [...] If you start with 10 moves and because of a match up, your skills, and your opponent's skills, you can only use 5 to compete, then it’s obvious you’re using 5 of 10 options.
This definition of viable options is a bit watered down. Generally in fighting games, viable options also consists of character placement, spacing, timing, hitbox, hurtbox, mixups (as you defined it), life/% of opponent, the amount of time left in the round, and player mentality. In advance play, different moves will become viable solely depend on all of the above. Some moves will be viable in some time and not in others, it isn't just as simple as two characters standing on a flat ground.

With your definition, this point makes sense:
Think about it this way, even if 5 of 10 moves are viable, you still have the freedom to use a specialist playstyle and only play with 1 or 2 of your most viable moves. Let’s say you know these 2 moves so well, you can make them highly versatile. In this case, your battles might feature with more nuance and variation (complexity) than a lesser player might feature using the 5 viable moves. In the end, the complexity of a battle may be capped by viable options, but its determined by player choices.
With my definition, viable options is an evaluation of how effective a move is at the given time it is played, much like a move in a chess game.

Two definitions will bring up two different results. Bringing up your definition is fine, but claiming that the "myth" is "false" is only true with the limited definition given.

Some of the statements are incorrect and illogical. Some are mean spirited. Some point to some real insight. I addressed such examples different.
I agree, and I also believe that it is your job as the project's director to filter out the obvious illogical and incorrect statements within surveys, including them will only make your project weaker and more juvenile.

I didn't ignore the actual meanings. I attacked the language (one of the primary focuses of the project) and I addressed the key debating concepts.
I may have misunderstood the goal of your project then, but I personally believe that creating language links between video games in general is more important than attacking the literal text of players' surveys (whom might expect to be represented by their actual meaning instead of being attacked with the literal text that they give in a hurry).

I agree, and I also believe that it is your job as the project's director to filter out the obvious illogical and incorrect statements within surveys, bringing them up will only make your project more juvenile and weak.

Like I already explained in the thread, I didn't ignore the Fox or the other high dexterous characters. I put them at the top because they're widely thought of as representing the top.

I said most people probably think of a match with these fast characters in it when they think of Melee dexterity to explain that it's important to consider all the characters in Brawl and Melee. So this is not just about tournament winning characters or the metagame. It's about looking at characters and how they play at a high level.

Generally, when players have an idea of what represents a game, they will think about the game's metagame (especially when they're part of the community). So when considering in the most recent tournament APEX results, where 25/48 players in melee bracket play space animals, and 2/63 players in brawl brackets play pit. I would say it is pretty fair to have an image of space animals when thinking about melee.

I play pit on a high level. :mad:
"High level" in this case is a loose term. Without a clear definition, it is impossible to determine what is the barrier to entry for "high level play".

If you know of a Brawl APM thread/data out there, do give me the link. I was under the impression that there isn't one/any.
Sorry, I argue based on my knowledge on arguments and debates, I don't actually know what data and information exist and what doesn't.

But it is safe to say that only showing one side and not the others presents an obvious bias against the other game.

I'm sure you understand what a "simple example" means. The way I phrased the statement implies that there are other examples that are more complicated. So there's no point in trying make such a bold statement about the dexterity of all of Brawl's advanced play.

You're argument above was thoughtful, but it didn't hold up. I'm curious to know if you read any of the 19 part article series that explain the DKART system more thoroughly. Like I said in the videos, the full explanations are there, not in the video summaries.

I "completely ignored" a lot of things because (like I said already multiple times in this thread) I can't even come close to covering everything. If you wanted to make a point/case for something not covered in the video, that's exactly what this thread is for.

I was going to talk about tripping in the Summary in ep 5. You know I was short on time in most of the vids right? I also talked about tripping in this thread.
Just like you, I can only based my arguments on the literal information that is presented to me. As of the videos shown so far, I found some weak arguments that makes me believe that there is some bias toward melee. It is also ridiculous if you believe that every viewer of your project is going to go through pages of texts to find every points that you've made.

I would be very interested if you include some of the disagreements you've gotten from players who have a well understanding of both game's mechanics into your video. Most of the arguments given in the surveys are fairly poor and can barely be argued with literal texts.

But you did make an interesting statement. It's very detailed/nitpicky which I like. It's hard for me to complain when you're embracing/using the terms like you are. So I'll say this... if you isolate button mashing moves/moments, yes, while mashing you might not have to use the other facets of dexterity skills hardly at all. However, these moments are brief in a match lasting seconds at a time. Being able to focus on just speed.dexterity skills and then switch back into normal fighting takes more dexterity skills than just mashing and just playing independently. So depending on your grip technique (efficiency), if you have to control your character movement as well like Luigi (control), you throw in a cautionary DI motion or tech actions (harmony) the amount of dexterity skills doesn't necessary drop like you described.
Melee is a game with faster gameplay, a mistake such as a miss on a waveland could result in death because of the inability to fix your mistake like in brawl.

This is only one example, I'm sure there are many other examples that shows brawl has more punishing situations.

But because each of your skill spectrum cannot be mathematically measured, and the difference in game engine in both games. An opinion on which game would require more dexterity skills would only be a mere opinion.

Also, different players will find some moves to be more difficult than others. Some players might have a easy time shine canceling, but a hard time with DI, and vice versa. It is a bit silly to believe that your own experience with difficulties can conclude for the opinions of both communities.

Even if you change your opponent's SHFFL timings, how much of a time difference is that really? 1-15 frames? 1/4 of a second max? Sure that might throw of your timing, but that isn't much of a difference.

The unique, funny, and tricky part about timing is that timing challenges are defined by the amount of time they take up. In other words, clapping your hands every 2 seconds isn't necessarily harder or easier than clapping your hands every 2.5 or 3 seconds. This applies to timings within a certain window (let's say about half a second to 5 seconds). The reason this is, I think, is because of the limitations of our STM to consciously count/hold the time passed in our heads.

We also have to be careful when we're talking about timing challenges and how/if that relates to reflex skills. The skill spectrum is a fluid system with overlap after all. Even if you present a timing challenge, people can overcome it with timing or reflex or adaptation (lucky guess) skills.

So Melee's fast pace stresses lots of Reflex and speed.dexterity skills. Players play fast, and watch out for quick and fast moving changes/attacks. Etc. The thing is, when gameplay plays almost universally fast (like Melee) it brings many of the timings much closer together. Think of this like playing a fast song in an orchestra. Everyone is playing fast and it seems all normal.

Now compare that to Brawl where things are slower (like playing a slower song in the orchestra). Just like with the fast song, you sort of sync into the slower speed. Because both games have moves/strategies that are faster than we can react to (0-12 frames) and plenty of moves/strategies that we can react to easily (13-beyond), we can look at another interesting way that timing skills are stressed to make things more challenging.

Basically, if a faster tempo is about as hard to maintain as a slower tempo (timing wise only), then changing tempos is more difficult than both. This is why the 3 second Snake grenades versus the 2 second arrow looping can be so hard to wrap your mind around. Complex timings, accelerating/decelerating, and internal timing are harder than static/external timing. So the longer timings a game has, the more potential there is to create complex and accel/decel situations in the gameplay.

If you haven't, give the "Timing" game I made a try. Playing it for 5 minutes or so will shows you all the different ways timing can be difficult.

So just looking at timing challenges/skills, Brawl has the potential for many slight variations all the way up to large timing challenges/variations.
This is true if you only look at the game's engine and game mechanics.

Do not forget that there are usually two players (four in teams) in a game of smash brothers. It is true that if you're the only person inputing the timing sequence, having more options would make the timing more difficult. But when other players' interactions also disrupts your ability to input your timing, the timing spectrum isn't as simple as inputing a note on a music instrument.

In your theory, you are assuming that only one player is inputing the commands, while the other player is on stationary. Your point is then true, more movesets would mean more difference in timing, which making brawl a game with more timing complexities.

When we include players interactions, inputing your commands will not be the same with your opponent on stationary. Your opponent also has the ability to disrupt your tempo and your ability to input commands. This would affect your mental state, which makes it even harder to visually see what is happening and react to your opponent's input commands. The faster game mechanic then gives the players less time to react. Also, because the melee game engine offers less options for players to escape from mistakes, it can be said that the result from a "mistiming" is more punishing than brawl.

You could argue that the tempo can be learned and adjusted, but that would completely ignore the other player's ability to adapt and change in style. This then would continuously change the gameplay speed. In the end, gameplay speed is defined by the player interactions.

This is a lot like playing a chess game where a player has to make a move within 30 seconds. The players will be given less time than they would be able to think normally. The players' ability to play would then be affect by the time. This also excludes fighting game's mechanics that would allow disrupts between the two players. But the difficulties of having a limited time to make the most correct decisions should be fairly clear in this example.

When you look at brawl, because of a slower gameplay and campier (metagame) playstyle. Players would have more time and less options to disrupt the opponent's timing. The game also offers unlimited air dodges, tripping, and slower fallspeed that allows players to fix any type of errors that may result from another player's disruption from tempo. But because players have more options to reverse the punishment from mistiming, I would argue that melee's timing scheme is more complex than brawl's.

This does not say that brawl's mechanics cannot be taken seriously and cannot compete on a competitive scale. The metagame balances this gameplay mechanics and allows intense and breath taking matches. I would just argue that in terms of timing (metagame): brawl's engine allows more options for players to fix mistakes, thus making the timing scheme easier.

The basic idea of making a comparison involves looking for some kind of common element or quality between two unlike things. Simply looking at the complexities, depth, or skill challenges in Brawl and Melee doesn't mean I expect these games to have it. It means that I'm looking for it if they do have it. If one game doesn't have something, that's a difference I'll deal with. We're looking for differences and similarities. It doesn't matter what we expect. And it doesn't matter if we expect certain things to be equal.
Then this project should be clarified as Brawl vs. Melee: The differences in two game engines.

Talking about Melee's design may refer to how the metagame has shaped up, but I tried to keep things general. So I didn't talk about how Jiggs is doing whatever to Melee's metagame. And I didn't talk about MK's strategies.

Obviously it's difficult to try and think of Melee without thinking of all of its development. And while Brawl is growing fast I think we can say some things about how it's shaping up. There's no way Brawl's metagame will catch up to Melee's time wise. So there will always be an issue of "fairness."
Would this conclude that your main goal is to compare and contrast the two game's gaming engine?

If that's the case, it would be unfair if you used melee's metagame was a way to limit melee's engine's capacities.

When you take a stance saying that melee's engine is crippled by the metagame's overuse of aerial attacks and L-canceling, it would be unfair if you left out the overuse of tornado spamming, chain grabbing, and ledge grabbing in brawl. Which would limit the play possibilities within brawl.

Including a metagame when talking about a game engine would only limit the amount of possibilities within the engine. Under this case, I can say that the two games are not presented equally.

So just focus as much as you can on the language and the core design, unless you want to zoom in on something specific. Talking about a metagame is a huge undertaking that no one is ready for yet.
Overall, I appreciate your attempt in trying to set up a common vocabulary within video game community, but a poorly defined vocabulary would only bring up points that are argued in a wrong direction, thus solving nothing.

Also, please remember that this is an opinion from a player whose game is fairly closely related to the other you are comparing. When you take this project to the SF community without clear and agreeable definitions, your project will just be brushed aside and not taken seriously.

If possible, try to collect a set definition by experts from different communities, then have multiple people confirm the accuracy of the definition before using them in your project, or else you will only bring up weak points where most players will ignore and can't agree upon.

BEES

Smash Lord
Why do you think Melee has a larger moveset than Brawl? They have the same amount of tilts, specials, jabs, ledge attacks, get up attacks, throw item up/down/sideways, etc. Brawl has unique attacks for attacking out of a trip and gliding but that hardly tips the scale.

I think Smash characters have about the same number of moves as Street Fighter characters once you count all of Smash's moves. It should be around 40-50. Soul Calibur has tons of moves. 100+ Geeze. Monkey Fight has 2. Wii Sports Boxing has 7 or so.

I wouldn't say "severely limited" but I know what you're saying.
-wavedashing
-l canceling
-dashdancing
-wavelanding
-JC grabs
-airdodge recoveries

Those are moves. They are inputs that create different states for the game, so they count. It's a short list for a game with 40 moves already, but all of these are heavily used and crucial to Melee's depth as a fighting game.

Things like JC shines and jumping out of certain specials in Melee cancel out the character-specific moves in Brawl like crawling or glide attacks. Footstooling is the only new universal move, and while it has its purposes in competitive play, it's not enough to outweigh Melee's extra moves.

Street Fighter is not considered a very deep series of fighters. It's recognized for the influence it had on the genre, but the formula was greatly expanded with other series. I know GG and Tekken have upwards of 60 inputs, depending on the character. Couldn't tell you how the other fighters stack up.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Speaking of Street Fighter (and going a little off topic here), has anyone really figured out what the average APM output of a competitive SFIV/II match is? I've always been interested in comparing the technical difficulty of SF and Smash, and I have pretty limited knowledge of the finer points of SF (I tried getting into it at one point, but didn't get far).
I know a few things.

1) You can't just count moves.

2) Like smash there are multiple inputs going on simultaneously.

3) With techniques like piano keying and doubling/tripling up on inputs, even one move can give 3 times the APM

4) While defending in a combo/block string, players have been known to very carefully input specific moves just in case the opponent drops the combo/puts gaps in their pressure.

5) Option selects are secretly APM intensive. Safe jumping and throwing in multiple moves into the mix so that the game state can decided the best option takes more APM than usual.

Finally, if you really want to count actions, just get a high level match replay and put inputs on display (or find a youtube vid of it). The inputs fly across the screen really fast, but with the right software you can slow things down and get an accurate count.

I was going to bring up a point later about how in Brawl you can double/triple up on inputs and throw in option select inputs like in SF. The slower speed, smash DI, and move softening really help facilitate these APM increasing techniques.

Everyone else, I'll respond to tomorrow. Gotta rest. Did a decent job with Pit at the Quakecon tournament.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
-wavedashing
-l canceling
-dashdancing
-wavelanding
-JC grabs
-airdodge recoveries

Those are moves. They are inputs that create different states for the game, so they count. It's a short list for a game with 40 moves already, but all of these are heavily used and crucial to Melee's depth as a fighting game.

Things like JC shines and jumping out of certain specials in Melee cancel out the character-specific moves in Brawl like crawling or glide attacks. Footstooling is the only new universal move, and while it has its purposes in competitive play, it's not enough to outweigh Melee's extra moves.

Street Fighter is not considered a very deep series of fighters. It's recognized for the influence it had on the genre, but the formula was greatly expanded with other series. I know GG and Tekken have upwards of 60 inputs, depending on the character. Couldn't tell you how the other fighters stack up.
There's a difference between a move/mechanic and the resulting/emergent applications for a move.

I agree that L-canceling is a move. But wavedashing and wavelanding are techniques that are just part of how the air dodge move works. Just because we've found and named these specific uses doesn't mean they count as "extra moves," which is a troublesome phrase in itself.

Up smash out of shield is simply a result of how the two moves are programmed. The designers wanted players to be able to jump and upsmash out of shield. (or up smash before the character's feet leave the ground). It's the same way with JC grabs. These are just emergent uses of moves, not new mechanics.

Are you talking about gameplay depth or simply the number of moves per character? They are not directly related.

Where did you hear that the SF series is not regarded as being very deep for a fighter?

This definition of viable options is a bit watered down. Generally in fighting games, viable options also consists of character placement, spacing, timing, hitbox, hurtbox, mixups (as you defined it), life/% of opponent, the amount of time left in the round, and player mentality. In advance play, different moves will become viable solely depend on all of the above. Some moves will be viable in some time and not in others, it isn't just as simple as two characters standing on a flat ground.

With my definition, viable options is an evaluation of how effective a move is at the given time it is played, much like a move in a chess game.

Two definitions will bring up two different results. Bringing up your definition is fine, but claiming that the "myth" is "false" is only true with the limited definition given.
Do you have a better definition of viable options? Because it sounds like you have a lot to say without offering an alternative or making anything clearer at all. You say viable options "consist" of character placement, spacing...etc, but this is already obvious. In other words, the rules and factors of battle determine what's viable and how.

Later in the same video, I explain how options (no matter how risky) are made more and less viable according to the active conditions of battle. But, in order to build up the concept, I had to start small/focused/"watered down." Otherwise, I would have said any option is viable or not viable depending on many factors that all just depend of many things. This wouldn't be much of a talking point.

Also, the viability of a move is not used in the same as a "viable option." You can evaluate how functional a move is in a specific scenario. That's determining its viability. But the term viable options is commonly used to mean the options that are more likely to achieve successful results.

I agree, and I also believe that it is your job as the project's director to filter out the obvious illogical and incorrect statements within surveys, including them will only make your project weaker and more juvenile.
That's your opinion. Others, who hear these kind of statements all the time, are glad to see them addressed out side of a "juvenile" internet forum environment. The funny part is, the people who originally made those statements may not think they're so illogical and incorrect. The more people who state it, the more I think people actually believe such things.

I may have misunderstood the goal of your project then, but I personally believe that creating language links between video games in general is more important than attacking the literal text of players' surveys (whom might expect to be represented by their actual meaning instead of being attacked with the literal text that they give in a hurry).
I already addressed the idea of interpreting the meaning behind submissions. And there was no time limit for taking the survey. If you were in a hurry, that's your business. If that's your belief, then just be glad it's not your project. Since I'm doing all the work, I'll do things my way.

And if you think there's a way to create "language links" when there isn't a clear language across the community and the language that is used is completely jumbled together, then you must know something I don't. The way I see it, building a structure on a bad foundation is a bad idea. So I'm attacking the foundation.

Generally, when players have an idea of what represents a game, they will think about the game's metagame (especially when they're part of the community). So when considering in the most recent tournament APEX results, where 25/48 players in melee bracket play space animals, and 2/63 players in brawl brackets play pit. I would say it is pretty fair to have an image of space animals when thinking about melee.
Ok. I'm not sure why you said this.

And you assume way too much from people even within this community. With so many casual Brawl and Melee players that submitted, I highly doubt that they are as up to date with the metagame as you seem to imply. So bringing up Apex data doesn't help us better understand where these contributors are coming from.

"High level" in this case is a loose term. Without a clear definition, it is impossible to determine what is the barrier to entry for "high level play"
Yes, it's a loose term. As I've stated, I used it to create some wiggle room. There's a lot in such a large project that will get more clearly defined as needed. If you have a problem, just state your own definition before making statements so what you say will be clear. Otherwise, just run with it.

Sorry, I argue based on my knowledge on arguments and debates, I don't actually know what data and information exist and what doesn't.

But it is safe to say that only showing one side and not the others presents an obvious bias against the other game.
You say this, but I can only think how unreasonable your views are. As a fan made community of smashers, we don't get a lot of help, assistance, or feedback from anything officially Nintendo. This means almost all of our terms, knowledge, customs, and rules are all of our own making.

Naturally, we have huge gaps in data for many things, and other data that we do have is scattered here and there. Knowing this, at some point we have to be able to talk about what we know and what we don't know. We have to set things up so that we can prepare our development for growth while pointing our conversations in the right direction.

So in the video, I gave what I had (which was all I could find), and I tried to leave things open ended in part to show that what we "know" as a community is very small. It's kind of neat that you (and others) have great and professional expectations from my project, but do adjust those expectations reasonably as you go along.

Just like you, I can only based my arguments on the literal information that is presented to me. As of the videos shown so far, I found some weak arguments that makes me believe that there is some bias toward melee. It is also ridiculous if you believe that every viewer of your project is going to go through pages of texts to find every points that you've made.

I would be very interested if you include some of the disagreements you've gotten from players who have a well understanding of both game's mechanics into your video. Most of the arguments given in the surveys are fairly poor and can barely be argued with literal texts.
You say they're weak, and that's (again) your opinion. You've done well to bring up your points of disagreement, but we're still debating them.

I expect viewers to listen and read carefully. I put together very clear statements, and if that's too much for them, then I don't expect them to respond brashly. If someone is confused, I'll help clarify. If someone disagrees, I'll explain and debate. But if someone simply doesn't want to pay close attention, then they can hold their peace. I see no point in trying to argue against someone who doesn't even take the time to understand my position. Likewise, if you don't want to read or skim through a few blog posts don't get mad a me. I don't expect every viewer to read through it...just the ones who elect to debate my "weak arguments."

You can read most of the responses to the videos here in this thread. Otherwise, I was going to leave off with episode 5 explaining how the conversation/debate has only begun. I have a whole list of volunteers willing to participate in continued conversation, which sounds like what you're talking about.

Melee is a game with faster gameplay, a mistake such as a miss on a waveland could result in death because of the inability to fix your mistake like in brawl.

This is only one example, I'm sure there are many other examples that shows brawl has more punishing situations.
I don't think we were talking about the degree to which mistakes can be punished or fixed in either game. I'm not sure why you brought this up.

But because each of your skill spectrum cannot be mathematically measured, and the difference in game engine in both games. An opinion on which game would require more dexterity skills would only be a mere opinion.

Also, different players will find some moves to be more difficult than others. Some players might have a easy time shine canceling, but a hard time with DI, and vice versa. It is a bit silly to believe that your own experience with difficulties can conclude for the opinions of both communities.
The skill can be "mathematically" measured. I'm not sure why you said that after I said it can be in the video. I'm not talking about opinions here.

I also said clearly in the video and in this thread that using "difficult" or "easy" as a criteria isn't going to work well. Are you trying to say that I suggest using this method? Because that would be silly. It's like you're taking everything I've stated and saying I stated the opposite.

This is true if you only look at the game's engine and game mechanics.

Do not forget that there are usually two players (four in teams) in a game of smash brothers. It is true that if you're the only person inputing the timing sequence, having more options would make the timing more difficult. But when other players' interactions also disrupts your ability to input your timing, the timing spectrum isn't as simple as inputing a note on a music instrument.

In your theory, you are assuming that only one player is inputing the commands, while the other player is on stationary. Your point is then true, more movesets would mean more difference in timing, which making brawl a game with more timing complexities.
I didn't state that having a larger moveset (based on more characters or whatever) gives Brawl the edge in timing variations. I said that the longer timings for moves gives Brawl a greater range of timings to shape its timing based challenges.

When we include players interactions, inputing your commands will not be the same with your opponent on stationary. Your opponent also has the ability to disrupt your tempo and your ability to input commands. This would affect your mental state, which makes it even harder to visually see what is happening and react to your opponent's input commands. The faster game mechanic then gives the players less time to react. Also, because the melee game engine offers less options for players to escape from mistakes, it can be said that the result from a "mistiming" is more punishing than brawl.
Here you're mixing up too many different concepts/topics including timing challenges, player tempo (which I assume is player momentum/rhythm), mental states, reflex challenges, and punishment from mistakes. This is why it's important to have a clear language. You should only talk about one of these topics at a time; specifically how the timing challenges in the game can be altered by opponent actions. From here you should pick different timing challenges (like L canceling, wavelanding, etc) and describe a situation.

Because you're trying to say so much, you're actually saying nothing specific. It makes it too hard for me to respond.

When you look at brawl, because of a slower gameplay and campier (metagame) playstyle. Players would have more time and less options to disrupt the opponent's timing. The game also offers unlimited air dodges, tripping, and slower fallspeed that allows players to fix any type of errors that may result from another player's disruption from tempo. But because players have more options to reverse the punishment from mistiming, I would argue that melee's timing scheme is more complex than brawl's.

This does not say that brawl's mechanics cannot be taken seriously and cannot compete on a competitive scale. The metagame balances this gameplay mechanics and allows intense and breath taking matches. I would just argue that in terms of timing (metagame): brawl's engine allows more options for players to fix mistakes, thus making the timing scheme easier.
Right here, you're trying to conflate so many different elements of design to conclude something specific about a specific facet of skill/challenges (timing). This simply won't work.

Perhaps you're confused as to what I mean by timing range. And I assume you didn't read through any of the timing specific articles I wrote. So if you're not going to use the system, ask for clarification, or read up on it, then we're at a stalemate.

Then this project should be clarified as Brawl vs. Melee: The differences in two game engines.

Would this conclude that your main goal is to compare and contrast the two game's gaming engine?

If that's the case, it would be unfair if you used melee's metagame was a way to limit melee's engine's capacities.

When you take a stance saying that melee's engine is crippled by the metagame's overuse of aerial attacks and L-canceling, it would be unfair if you left out the overuse of tornado spamming, chain grabbing, and ledge grabbing in brawl. Which would limit the play possibilities within brawl.

Including a metagame when talking about a game engine would only limit the amount of possibilities within the engine. Under this case, I can say that the two games are not presented equally.
The metagame of Brawl or Melee isn't a completely unrelated to its design. The evidence of what we can say about the design should be evident in the metagame. I think it's best to use the two to check each other. It won't be easy though.

"Overuse" and "crippled" are strong words. I've already stated that both games are really deep, complex, and skillful. So though Melee could have been balanced another way, in some ways that doesn't even matter. What it is now is great.

If I wanted to list a bunch of things that have affected the metagame of either game I could have talked about MK tornado spam, infinite chain grabs, ICs chain grabs, glide stalling, Sonic stalling, and ledge camping in Brawl.

I could have also talked about peach bombing, jigglypuff stalling, IC chain grabs, wobbling, camping Fox's/Falcos against some characters, and why Yohshi's Island was banned along with so many other levels. Both games have sore spots, plenty of bans, and rule tweaking for tournaments.

The Brawl v. Melee issue is very large and complex. If you're actually complaining that all I talked about is how Melee's metagame skews toward aerials, then it should be easy to move on from here.

Overall, I appreciate your attempt in trying to set up a common vocabulary within video game community, but a poorly defined vocabulary would only bring up points that are argued in a wrong direction, thus solving nothing.

Also, please remember that this is an opinion from a player whose game is fairly closely related to the other you are comparing. When you take this project to the SF community without clear and agreeable definitions, your project will just be brushed aside and not taken seriously.

If possible, try to collect a set definition by experts from different communities, then have multiple people confirm the accuracy of the definition before using them in your project, or else you will only bring up weak points where most players will ignore and can't agree upon.
I wouldn't say "poorly defined." You talk like you want to debate, but then you've also mentioned (I think) that you don't care to read up on these complex concepts. I said the videos were the simple presentation of the ideas. So if you think my terms should be better defined, they are. If you don't want to really embrace the system after all the hard work I put into the resources, AND you don't want to offer up an equally detailed system, then we're at another stalemate.

I've look across the web for definitions. I encourage you to do the same. They're tricky concepts in themselves and clear definitions are hard to come by. Everyone thinks they know what they mean, yet almost everything I've found has fallen far short.

If you don't personally like my definitions, that's one thing. But after writing so much (420,00+ words), you won't find any "expert" who's thought about this as much as I have. The very idea of finding and communicating with various "experts" seems like an interesting way to go. But I have serious doubt on how worthwhile such an effort would be.

BEES

Smash Lord
There's a difference between a move/mechanic and the resulting/emergent applications for a move.

I agree that L-canceling is a move. But wavedashing and wavelanding are techniques that are just part of how the air dodge move works. Just because we've found and named these specific uses doesn't mean they count as "extra moves," which is a troublesome phrase in itself.
Cheap cop out, but I'll play your game. Whether you regard that as a separate move or not, the case still stands. If a move loses functions from one game to another, and they are not replaced, then the game has been simplified. Particularly if the functions lost were a major contribution to the strategic depth of the game.

For instance, if airdodging in a direction allows you to get back to the ledge while protecting yourself, that is another function.

Suppose Falco's Bair, which has a hitbox with separate knockback directions on his front foot, had that hitbox removed? It would lose a function, and that is as significant as losing a move.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Myth 2.1 Melee requires more dexterity (technical) skill than Brawl.
Oh PLEASE dude. 99% of Smashers agree Melee requires more dexterity. 99%! Do you know how insane someone would have to be to disagree with 99% of people on ALMOST ANY SUBJECT? There is probably a higher percentage of people who believe they have been abducted by aliens than there are people who believe Melee and Brawl require an almost equal amount of tech skill.

It's pretty easy to see so I doubt I'd be able to change your mind, but here's a simple explanation.

1. Even if Melee did not have all the advanced techniques that were removed in Brawl (WDing, jump cancelling, L-cancelling, etc. the list is ridiculously long) Melee would still require more dexterity because it is a faster paced game than Brawl. You have to press more buttons in a shorter amount of time because the characters float less. So just straight up speed should be enough to convince you Melee requires more dexterity.

Simplified: Melee go fast. Brawl go slow. Fast button pressing means more dexterity.

2. Melee DOES have more techniques that require MORE button presses to do the same things. You have to L-cancel in Melee, but not in Brawl. Not only does the L-cancel add in a button press, but it means metagames will develop with more button pressing after attacks whereas in Brawl you don't need the dexterity to nair shine someone's shield. It isn't possible, so you don't have to worry about having the dexterity to pull it off. Brawl definitely has its fair share of advanced techs that require a lot of inputs (DACUS and glide tossing are probably the most prevalent ones), but Melee simply has advanced techs for almost EVERYTHING. Brawl has a few tech things for specific moves or situations while Melee has universal techs that all characters can use in slightly different ways.

Simplified: Record the sound of controllers in a Melee match and then the sound of a Brawl match. Melee has more clicking, and very few of it will be repetitive tasks (like mashing B for MK's tornado is not a lot of dexterity even though it may sound like it). More clicking means they need more dexterity.

Honestly, if you can't concede this point then I simply will not be able to continue reading because it is such a naive thing to claim that I can hardly take anything you say seriously.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cheap cop out, but I'll play your game. Whether you regard that as a separate move or not, the case still stands. If a move loses functions from one game to another, and they are not replaced, then the game has been simplified. Particularly if the functions lost were a major contribution to the strategic depth of the game.

For instance, if airdodging in a direction allows you to get back to the ledge while protecting yourself, that is another function.

Suppose Falco's Bair, which has a hitbox with separate knockback directions on his front foot, had that hitbox removed? It would lose a function, and that is as significant as losing a move.
Such a simple statement simply doesn't hold up when applied to complex examples. It's much more complicated that this. For example, if a game has a very overpowered move/strategy, that's an example of a function. Taking away this move/strategy can actually balance the game for use of more moves and strategies thus making the game more complex (as far as the metagame is concerned).

The tricky part about considering whether a function is a "major contribution to the strategic depth of a game" is that with a very emergent game like Smash, there's probably many different branches of depth (back and forth counters) possible. My theory is, even if you took away something we think is important to the strategic depth, other (possibly less used) techniques and strategies will become more important and effective. I think this is an issue of depth and balance simultaneously.

So we can't just look at a move/function, see whether or not it has been replaced, and determine that a game has been "simplified." This is why balance is so tricky.

So it would be better to just keep statements as focused, zoomed in, and simple as possible. ie. because directional air dodging is not in Brawl, players cannot waveslide/dash/land, or gain extra vertical distance.

At the same time I could say that Brawls air dodging creates new functions like dodging through people/attacks and landing for a quick counter attack. Players can also dodge multiple times in the air to sustain lengthier air battles. Players can also dodge through opponents instead of mostly moving back/away for safety when on the defensive.

How any of these functions relate to the game as a whole is much harder to described. But as long as we just keep things simple, it'll be easier to build strong cases/statements/theories for both games.

Maybe a better way of explaining things is this.... "simpler" is a strange term. If you mean "complexities" by it, then you have a clear point. Taking away game rules does reduce the amount of complexity (game rules) in a game. However, complexity is not directly related to game depth or balance. So it's very possible to have a simpler game that's deeper or better balanced than a very complex game.

Oh PLEASE dude. 99% of Smashers agree Melee requires more dexterity. 99%! Do you know how insane someone would have to be to disagree with 99% of people on ALMOST ANY SUBJECT? There is probably a higher percentage of people who believe they have been abducted by aliens than there are people who believe Melee and Brawl require an almost equal amount of tech skill.
Here's the deal. I presented a more complete definition of dexterity than 99% of all gamers have ever considered or developed. With this new definition we can understand the dexterity requirements of games more accurately.

Though I've already stated clearly that I believe gamers have really good instincts, instincts only go so far. 99% of smashers don't study game design on their own. 99% of smashers haven't gone to a school on game design. 99% of smashers don't write and develop their own language frameworks for discussing games. So, you can easily see how it's possible that 99% of smashers can be close but not entirely accurate on an issue.

It's pretty easy to see so I doubt I'd be able to change your mind, but here's a simple explanation.

1. Even if Melee did not have all the advanced techniques that were removed in Brawl (WDing, jump cancelling, L-cancelling, etc. the list is ridiculously long) Melee would still require more dexterity because it is a faster paced game than Brawl. You have to press more buttons in a shorter amount of time because the characters float less. So just straight up speed should be enough to convince you Melee requires more dexterity.

Simplified: Melee go fast. Brawl go slow. Fast button pressing means more dexterity.

2. Melee DOES have more techniques that require MORE button presses to do the same things. You have to L-cancel in Melee, but not in Brawl. Not only does the L-cancel add in a button press, but it means metagames will develop with more button pressing after attacks whereas in Brawl you don't need the dexterity to nair shine someone's shield. It isn't possible, so you don't have to worry about having the dexterity to pull it off. Brawl definitely has its fair share of advanced techs that require a lot of inputs (DACUS and glide tossing are probably the most prevalent ones), but Melee simply has advanced techs for almost EVERYTHING. Brawl has a few tech things for specific moves or situations while Melee has universal techs that all characters can use in slightly different ways.
First of all, I'll clean up your simplified statement for clarity.

Melee go fast. Brawl go less fast. Fast button pressing means more SPEED dexterity.

The whole reason I spent so much time explaining the DKART system is so that we have new ways to think about skill. So while many think speed (fast button/stick movements) is all there is to executing dexterous actions, there's clearly 5 more facets to consider. While Melee requires more button inputs, generally this makes control dexterity skills less stressed. The slower fall speed/movement speed of Brawl stresses control dexterity skills over speed.

It's complicated because it's difficult to try and resolve which is more "dexterous." I say both facets of dexterity skill are equally dexterous. This obviously makes a statement like "melee takes more dexterity skills" much harder to support for me.

Simplified: Record the sound of controllers in a Melee match and then the sound of a Brawl match. Melee has more clicking, and very few of it will be repetitive tasks (like mashing B for MK's tornado is not a lot of dexterity even though it may sound like it). More clicking means they need more dexterity.

Honestly, if you can't concede this point then I simply will not be able to continue reading because it is such a naive thing to claim that I can hardly take anything you say seriously.
You know you can't hear the sound of someone precisely and delicately manipulating the analog stick right? That's where the control dexterity skills come into play. So I wouldn't use the sound test as an experiment.

If you want to stop reading that's fine. I get the impression that you didn't read/listen too closely the first time based on your response here. I understand if that's the case. The videos are dense and the material isn't exactly simple.

Bones0

Smash Legend
You can't just make up your own definition of dexterity and then say "lol see brawl requires just as much dexterity!" SPEED IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO DEXTERITY.

Dexterity is "Skill in performing tasks, especially with the hands."

While extremely subtle movements of the control stick obviously take a lot of skill, the speed at which these movements must be made is just as important as the movements themselves. A game where you have to subtly move a control stick but have all the time in the world to do it is not going to take more skill than a game where you have to do the same movements, but at a faster pace. Using this logic, it is easy to see why Melee requires more dexterity (it requires more skill with your hands). If the dexterity required to play each game was about the same, then why do people have to put multiple hours into Melee before they can do even basic shffling, but in Brawl almost any person familiar with the series has no trouble picking it up and using MK's tornado or short hopping aerials? People frequently marvel at tech skill displayed in Melee videos, but I've never heard of anyone seeing someone be amazed by tech skill in Brawl. It just isn't that hard compared to Melee, and 99% of Brawl players agree with me.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't just make up your own definition of dexterity and then say "lol see brawl requires just as much dexterity!" SPEED IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO DEXTERITY.

Dexterity is "Skill in performing tasks, especially with the hands."

I can make up my own definition of dexterity. And I stated it up front. You're free to bring your own definitions to the discussion, but I guarantee yours won't be as thorough, universal, measurable, or thoughtful as mine. Still, some kind of middle ground must be reached before we can resolve this.

While extremely subtle movements of the control stick obviously take a lot of skill, the speed at which these movements must be made is just as important as the movements themselves.
I think I already expressed this same idea. Speed, control, harmony, stamina, power, and efficiency are all equally important parts of dexterity skill. Not all games stress all of these skills, but this is the basic idea I'm working with.

A game where you have to subtly move a control stick but have all the time in the world to do it is not going to take more skill than a game where you have to do the same movements, but at a faster pace.
True.

Using this logic, it is easy to see why Melee requires more dexterity (it requires more skill with your hands).
Not necessarily. You say that Melee and Brawl have the same motions, and they generally do. But the game speed/pace is an important factor to consider. In general, the changes to Brawl's combat make the game slower, floatier, and more air/ground focused. This also gives you a greater opportunity to walk with your character and make many subtle adjustments to your spacing in the air and on the ground. The more time in the air, the more control dexterity can be stressed. The more walking, the more control dexterity. Though you can't do as many actions as in Melee, you're always controlling your character thus exercising control dexterity skills.

On the other hand, Melee's dashing and wavedashing stress speed dexterity skills more than control. In other words, it's less about the subtle movements you can make inside the analog stick, but rather the speed at which you an move the stick and move it back.

It's more like two sides of the coin. The more you have of one, the less you generally have of the other.

If the dexterity required to play each game was about the same, then why do people have to put multiple hours into Melee before they can do even basic shffling, but in Brawl almost any person familiar with the series has no trouble picking it up and using MK's tornado or short hopping aerials?
First of all, I didn't say they were the same. Simply suggesting that one takes more speed while the other takes more control means they're different and difficult to compare in many ways.

To answer your question , there are many reasons why people may have to practice multiple hours of Melee before they can do those things. Here are a few...

1) They've never played a game or done anything else that required so much finger speed dexterity.
2) Doing something like basic shuffling isn't just about dexterity. You have to have some game knowledge and some significant timing skills in addition to dexterity to pull it off. So if someone doesn't get it right away and must practice, they could be lacking in these other areas.
3) Simple handwriting develops a lot of our hand control and harmony skills. So the average person should have more of these skills to apply to a game.
4) You said a person "familiar" with the series. Obviously, playing Smash and games like Mario 64/Monkey Ball really help players adjust to playing a game like Brawl. I think it's less likely that most players have played a high speed dexterity game like Melee elsewhere.

People frequently marvel at tech skill displayed in Melee videos, but I've never heard of anyone seeing someone be amazed by tech skill in Brawl. It just isn't that hard compared to Melee, and 99% of Brawl players agree with me.
You should watch my tournament matches where I wing step, dadash, glide toss, loop multiple arrows, and put all of these together to create combos. People are impressed. Now you've heard.

And there's no point trying to discuss which game is "harder." Let's stick to the other more objective terms we've been using.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
I think I already expressed this same idea. Speed, control, harmony, stamina, power, and efficiency are all equally important parts of dexterity skill. Not all games stress all of these skills, but this is the basic idea I'm working with.

Not necessarily. You say that Melee and Brawl have the same motions, and they generally do. But the game speed/pace is an important factor to consider. In general, the changes to Brawl's combat make the game slower, floatier, and more air/ground focused. This also gives you a greater opportunity to walk with your character and make many subtle adjustments to your spacing in the air and on the ground. The more time in the air, the more control dexterity can be stressed. The more walking, the more control dexterity. Though you can't do as many actions as in Melee, you're always controlling your character thus exercising control dexterity skills.

On the other hand, Melee's dashing and wavedashing stress speed dexterity skills more than control. In other words, it's less about the subtle movements you can make inside the analog stick, but rather the speed at which you an move the stick and move it back.

It's more like two sides of the coin. The more you have of one, the less you generally have of the other.
why even argue this again and again, no one will listen
I don't really agree with your control argument. You always are in control of your character. you make the subtle movements for teching, waveshining etc. I don't really see how brawl wins this
but your other definitions of Speed, control, harmony, stamina, power, and efficiency
melee wins speed
control-?
harmony? (don't really know what you mean by this one)
melee wins stamina
melee wins power i guess
efficiency- I don't know how you're judging this one either

and link the pit vids if you want to show him off so bad
what dadash? never heard of that

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
why even argue this again and again, no one will listen
I don't really agree with your control argument. You always are in control of your character. you make the subtle movements for teching, waveshining etc. I don't really see how brawl wins this
but your other definitions of Speed, control, harmony, stamina, power, and efficiency
melee wins speed
control-?
harmony? (don't really know what you mean by this one)
melee wins stamina
melee wins power i guess
efficiency- I don't know how you're judging this one either

and link the pit vids if you want to show him off so bad
what dadash? never heard of that
Some people are listening. And I respond directly to questions. So if you didn't want me to respond here, you probably shouldn't have said anything. Or, you can always talk about something else.

I never said you never make some subtle movements in Melee. But I don't think teching and waveshining count for control skills as much as speed. Simply doing things faster stresses speed over control. Because we don't have solid numbers for any of this, I have to use generalities and focus on design theory. The point is things aren't as obvious and as clear cut as they might seem for dexterity skills.

If you're content with assuming either game is one way or another without at least holding a bit of reserve, then there isn't any point in arguing this further.

I think people here are having a real problem with the logic I'm working with. Everything seems to be extremes with you guys. If I say something has more of one thing than the other, I get responses that the other has those things as well. This is obviously the case and is implied in the statement.

If you don't fully understand the DKART system, did you visit the links on the youtube page? There's an article that talks specifically about dexterity skills and another that relates dexterity skills it to Smash.

Power is not a factor cause Smash isn't a motion control game. Stamina is not really a factor either even with the higher speed dexterity/APM of Melee. It's higher than Brawl but not out of the range of typical video game play (in my opinion). Efficiency isn't much of a factor because stamina and harmony aren't. Because there's such a redundancy of buttons for Smash and Brawl lets you configure your controller how you like, there are multiple ways to execute many actions which reduces the chances of your "fingers getting tangled up." Therefore, efficiency and harmony are pretty similar between games and also very player specific.

I don't have hardly any videos of my Pit. I don't play a lot of singles, and when I do it's difficult to get matches recorded. I can defeat strong Dallas players and place well enough. I don't want to show Pit off "so bad." Someone said they've never heard of anyone being wowed by Brawl play, so I gave him an example.

I have some friendly vids of Pit on my channel.

Dadashing = pivoting. It's when you dash in two directions to take advantage of the frame or so of standing animation to use a jab/grab/tilt/smash. It allows you to move just a bit and execute a standing attack.

BEES

Smash Lord
Such a simple statement simply doesn't hold up when applied to complex examples. It's much more complicated that this. For example, if a game has a very overpowered move/strategy, that's an example of a function.
Wavedashing and Wavelanding are not overpowered so onto the next point.

At the same time I could say that Brawls air dodging creates new functions like dodging through people/attacks and landing for a quick counter attack. Players can also dodge multiple times in the air to sustain lengthier air battles. Players can also dodge through opponents instead of mostly moving back/away for safety when on the defensive.
Triangle dodging near the ground to go through attacks is possible in Melee. The ability to dodge continuously in the air adds defensive options far away from the stage in Brawl, but also removes offensive options when you're trying to followup attacks. In my opinion, and I think many Melee players would agree, any gains offstage are offset by the overpowered get-out-of-combos free card Brawl's airdodging introduces.

This argument gets more interesting when you consider Project M. Putting no direction on the control stick during an airdodge results in the Brawl airdodge, while putting a direction on it results in the Melee airdodge. We could unambiguously state that this game has more functions for its airdodge than Brawl, couldn't we? You gain the offstage benefits, while the greater attack speed prevents the airdodge from being overused to get out of combos.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Some people are listening. And I respond directly to questions. So if you didn't want me to respond here, you probably shouldn't have said anything. Or, you can always talk about something else.

I never said you never make some subtle movements in Melee. But I don't think teching and waveshining count for control skills as much as speed. Simply doing things faster stresses speed over control. Because we don't have solid numbers for any of this, I have to use generalities and focus on design theory. The point is things aren't as obvious and as clear cut as they might seem for dexterity skills.

If you're content with assuming either game is one way or another without at least holding a bit of reserve, then there isn't any point in arguing this further.

I think people here are having a real problem with the logic I'm working with. Everything seems to be extremes with you guys. If I say something has more of one thing than the other, I get responses that the other has those things as well. This is obviously the case and is implied in the statement.

If you don't fully understand the DKART system, did you visit the links on the youtube page? There's an article that talks specifically about dexterity skills and another that relates dexterity skills it to Smash.

Power is not a factor cause Smash isn't a motion control game. Stamina is not really a factor either even with the higher speed dexterity/APM of Melee. It's higher than Brawl but not out of the range of typical video game play (in my opinion). Efficiency isn't much of a factor because stamina and harmony aren't. Because there's such a redundancy of buttons for Smash and Brawl lets you configure your controller how you like, there are multiple ways to execute many actions which reduces the chances of your "fingers getting tangled up." Therefore, efficiency and harmony are pretty similar between games and also very player specific.

I don't have hardly any videos of my Pit. I don't play a lot of singles, and when I do it's difficult to get matches recorded. I can defeat strong Dallas players and place well enough. I don't want to show Pit off "so bad." Someone said they've never heard of anyone being wowed by Brawl play, so I gave him an example.

I have some friendly vids of Pit on my channel.

Dadashing = pivoting. It's when you dash in two directions to take advantage of the frame or so of standing animation to use a jab/grab/tilt/smash. It allows you to move just a bit and execute a standing attack.
You have pivoting in Melee, you have walking in Melee, and a lot of those small precise movements are punished just as hard or harder in Melee if you mess up. Not to mention an almost complete lack of some of the things that make the Melee metagame so great, like not having instant edge grabs (which makes proper recovery MUCH more difficult than in Brawl) and teching (much more prevalent in Melee, and one of the coolest aspects of the game).

If you don't feel like you need as much control in Melee as you do in Brawl, you aren't play Melee at a high enough level. Mistakes, and things like poor spacing, are punished a hell of a lot harder in Melee than in Brawl.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wavedashing and Wavelanding are not overpowered so onto the next point.
You know I didn't make that example so you could directly compare wavedashing/landing to an overpowered move. It was an example to outline a case or discrepancy in your logic (based on the written statement) to show that one elements/change doesn't necessarily make a game simpler. I expected you to simply start considering how simple statements can have holes making the topics we discuss very complicated/delicate.

I think you get that anyway based on how you responded below.

Triangle dodging near the ground to go through attacks is possible in Melee. The ability to dodge continuously in the air adds defensive options far away from the stage in Brawl, but also removes offensive options when you're trying to followup attacks. In my opinion, and I think many Melee players would agree, any gains offstage are offset by the overpowered get-out-of-combos free card Brawl's airdodging introduces.

Triangle dodging is in Melee (I even helped coin the term a long time ago), but it doesn't come close to having the function of air dodging into the ground in Brawl. In Brawl, you can air dodge higher, use more invincibility, adjust your horizontal position midway through, adjust the vertical fall speed by fast falling ahead of time, and recover instantly on the ground (or nearly so).

The multiple air dodge is also effective and used over the stage as well. This is how players dodge through and counter attack on the stage. Players can also dodge and pick up items without the landing lag. Multijump characters have more freedom to air dodge and keep jumping without landing.

And it doesn't remove offensive options. It simply makes them less guaranteed. For close follow ups, the opponent will either dodge or get attacked. That's a 50% chance. As damage builds the set ups and scenarios change. Some set ups becomes less effective (let's say 20% chance) and others become more effective (70-100%). Saying the air dodge removes offensive options isn't quite accurate. The options are still there and still successful at times.

For players who love combos, I don't know if there will be any way to get them to love reducing the effectiveness or number of combos in a game. That's basically what you described. I think that's a big reason why those Melee players would agree with you.

I like set ups and matrices more than combos. There are a lot more things in Melee and Brawl that I think are more interesting than combos.

This argument gets more interesting when you consider Project M. Putting no direction on the control stick during an airdodge results in the Brawl airdodge, while putting a direction on it results in the Melee airdodge. We could unambiguously state that this game has more functions for its airdodge than Brawl, couldn't we? You gain the offstage benefits, while the greater attack speed prevents the airdodge from being overused to get out of combos.
In Project.M can you still air dodge out of hit stun? That game sounds like it has a strange mix of Brawl and Melee. You could say that Project.M has 2 air dodges which are 2 separate gameplay mechanics. One is just a button press, and the other is a button and direction. So we would have to clearly state that Project.M's air dodge system (which includes both air dodge mechanics) has more functions than Brawl and Melee.

You have pivoting in Melee, you have walking in Melee, and a lot of those small precise movements are punished just as hard or harder in Melee if you mess up. Not to mention an almost complete lack of some of the things that make the Melee metagame so great, like not having instant edge grabs (which makes proper recovery MUCH more difficult than in Brawl) and teching (much more prevalent in Melee, and one of the coolest aspects of the game).

If you don't feel like you need as much control in Melee as you do in Brawl, you aren't play Melee at a high enough level. Mistakes, and things like poor spacing, are punished a hell of a lot harder in Melee than in Brawl.
I know pivoting and walking are in Melee. We're not talking about small and/or precise movements here. You can technically make a lot of small and/or precise movements with just wavedashing.

We're talking about the way players move, the method of input, and the prevalence of these moves in high level play.

We're not talking about how much you can get punished for doing anything difficult, easy, precise, or small. We're not talking about the difficult of "proper" recovery or what you think is cool.

So here's a better example for you...

Street Fighter 4 high level play is very precise and difficult. If you mess up even to a single frame of timing, you can get punished hard. But SF4 is NOT a game where you can use ANY control dexterity skill. I can say this because the game is completely digital. Even when you play using an analog stick, the game is only reading the digital 8 way directions. Even if you move back and forth quickly, that falls under speed.dexterity skill rather than control.

So, with Melee or Brawl, it's not enough to say all of the things you've pointed out. Video games are much more complicated than that. My argument is that Melee is played more digitally than Brawl. I know both games have plenty of digital or speed.dexterity stressing moves and analog control. So I'm perfectly aware of how delicate and difficult my argument is.

Top Bottom