• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
TCSedit isn't required for creating the new texture files, although it does help. The problem is that the only place to get it is the Dolphin SDK which is practically impossible to find. Because it is part of the SDK I can't just go giving it out either. So I wrote my own program which will hopefully be able to do the same job as TCSedit does. It's my first program ever, so it isn't pretty or efficient, but it seems to get the job done. Once a .tga file and type is entered, it will do its best to guess the rest, so you don't need to go through filling in all the settings each time.

So yeah, it's a piece of crap and use at your own risk. Let me know if you find any bugs and I'll try to correct them as soon as possible.

tcsmake 0.1

EDIT: Here are all the files I can freely distribute. The rest are part of the Wii SDK and can't be posted here.

utilities
Hi, your TCSMAKE seems to be down. Can you reupload it again¿ We would like to skip some steps on creating our textures.
Thank you!

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
Oh gosh...I scrubbed the iso, got out a lucas and tried to use Extract, but it won't work...Do I need to rename it or something?

EDIT: I noticed you use (I think) Vista in your pictures, does that mean this won't work on XP?

EDIT: Using EE's (RIP) guide, it says I need to have tpl2tga and Brres Automator in my Base file, but I can't find either of those files anywhere, help please

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I've made a very quickly thrown together page with all the tools I can give out. You can get them here.

As for XP, I do know that there are issues running SSBExtract on XP. If I remember correctly there can be no spaces in the path to the files being extracted. The files listed in Syntax Error's guide are just batch files. They aren't needed, they just make things go a little faster since you don't need to run the program for every tpl/brres you extract.

Finally, for anyone who hasn't heard about the fate of ]EE[, there is an article about it here. I hope they'll be able to overcome this crap and find a way to release.

chaotictails

Smash Rookie
Hi, I am having some trouble converting my .tga file back into a tpl.
I am trying to convert the texture FitLuigi_body.tpl.
I edited it using The GIMP 2, then saved it as a .tga file.
When I try to convert it back to .tpl using TexConv (as written in the ]EE[ guide), I get this:

D:\Brawl_Texture\LuigiEdit>TexConv
.tpl file converter.
press 'q' anytime to quit.

source file name:
(include full path name, use '/' as separators)

01.tcs
is this correct? (y/n)
y
destination file name:
(include full path name, use '/' as separators)

01.tpl
is this correct? (y/n)
y
error:
ImNew: no alpha layer in file D:\BRAWL_TEXTURE\LUIGIEDIT\TEX#00_14.TGA for image

total alloc: 1573716
total freed: 1573716
press <enter> to quit

I don't think I messed with the Alpha layers at all, but I am not sure.
I also tried to use TCSmake to do it, but that resulted in a 1 KB file, when it should have been 171 KB. I am unsure if this file is mipmapped or not, but I tried enabling mipmapping in TCSmake, setting the values to 0, 3, and 0 (in that order), but it still gave me a 1 KB file. Does anybody know what I need to do to solve this?
Thanks in advance.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Are you entering the path of the .tga or the .tcs file?

The .tga file will only ever be 1KB, since all it is is a text file. You need to open the .tcs file with TexConv and TexConv will then find your .tga file. A .tcs file is is a file that tells TexConv where the image is located and what settings to use to do the conversion. You cannot directly open a .tga file with TexConv.

chaotictails

Smash Rookie
I open the tcs file (that points to my tga file) with TexConv. Then, I tell it to save the output file as a tpl file. Then it gives me the alpha layer error.

EDIT: Nevermind. I had incorrectly exported the file: I had RLE compression on.

chaotictails

Smash Rookie
Nevermind, I had left RLE compression on. I sucessfully got it as a TPL with the correct filesize. Now it is almost a pcs. Thanks for your help, though!

smbwireless

Smash Rookie
Help....Sorry I'm a noob

IM only getting 3 .bress files from ssbbextract, I have the guide and they have like 13 in their picture.

Yeah i'm a noob, but at least i'm ok at photoshop :)

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Did you guys hear that ninty threatened Syntax Error with a lawsuit, so if you do these you better not spread them out so much...

Oracle

Smash Master
No, the lawsuit was that its illegal to backup one's copy of a video game.
It's ridiculous. I hate Nintendo.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Yeah, you guys should be careful. Nintendo apparently swung the banhammer pretty hard, so hope that doesn't happen here.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
when i extract the tpls out of the .bress files, I don't get a "man" or "lz77" folder.

Is that normal? :confused:
There are no "man" or "lz77" folders.

No, the lawsuit was that its illegal to backup one's copy of a video game.
It's ridiculous. I hate Nintendo.
Are you sure this is what it was? If so this could easily be beaten by posting it somewhere other than the US. It would mean that a Gecko patch would also be a possibility.

Anybody know where I can get TCSedit? Thanks.
same here. I can't even find it in the Revolution SDK...
TCSedit is only part of the Dolphin SDK. It is essentially impossible to find, and even when you do, good luck getting a hold of it. You're better off just using TcsMake or writing the files by hand.

BossOfTheGame

Smash Rookie
I've been attempting to get ROB's textures. I've gotten to the point where I have Textures(NW4R) and I move all the .tpl files to my base folder. FitRobot_BodyA.tpl, FitRobot_BodyB.tpl, ..., and holder.tpl. I wrote a python script that put them as input to tplx.exe. Whenever I run this I don't get nice FitRobot* folders. All I get is 3 .tga files tex#00_04.tga, tex#00_06.tga, and tex#00_14.tga. these are part of ROB, but not any of the parts I would like to edit. I experienced some trouble with SSBextract where I had to put the full path for SSBextract and only the local path of the .brres file. I've tried varios things with this, but none seem to work. Any ideas? I'm using WindowsXP.

Also, ]EE['s guide talks about batch files that I didn't seem to get when I DLed the guide. Its nothing big, but did they actually come with the guide?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I've been attempting to get ROB's textures. I've gotten to the point where I have Textures(NW4R) and I move all the .tpl files to my base folder. FitRobot_BodyA.tpl, FitRobot_BodyB.tpl, ..., and holder.tpl. I wrote a python script that put them as input to tplx.exe. Whenever I run this I don't get nice FitRobot* folders. All I get is 3 .tga files tex#00_04.tga, tex#00_06.tga, and tex#00_14.tga. these are part of ROB, but not any of the parts I would like to edit. I experienced some trouble with SSBextract where I had to put the full path for SSBextract and only the local path of the .brres file. I've tried varios things with this, but none seem to work. Any ideas? I'm using WindowsXP.

Also, ]EE['s guide talks about batch files that I didn't seem to get when I DLed the guide. Its nothing big, but did they actually come with the guide?
The reason it's only giving you three .tga images when you try a batch extract is because multiple textures share the same names, therefore TPLx will replace the existing .tga file everytime it runs, which will result in you getting only the last of the textures that were extracted. So if there were 8 tex#00_14 textures, you would only get the last one since all the others would be replaced. To avoid this your batch program would need to either rename the files as they are extracted or create folders for each texture.

When I first announced this project Wolf Pup wrote two batch extractors to help speed things up. I sent these to ]EE[ upon request, but they were never publically released.

You mean this?

the link is down...
New link.

Sepraphim

Smash Rookie
I'm following ]EE['s guide about how to hack the character selection portraits. I've extracted common5.pac from the iso, but when i run SSBExtract on it, I don't get the 003.bin file, I only get 000.pac and 001.pac.
does someone knows why?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Anyone know of a place where there's a guide for the characters? As in, kind of like a legend to all the textures. (Just having a spot of trouble with Pikachu, trying to find where his belly texture is.)

Coins

Smash Cadet
Anyone know of a place where there's a guide for the characters? As in, kind of like a legend to all the textures. (Just having a spot of trouble with Pikachu, trying to find where his belly texture is.)
HA, you too. Here you go.

I spent ages trying to find it, then i gave up. Then someone else found it.

BossOfTheGame

Smash Rookie
First of all, can you just drag models in the 3DModels(NW4R) folder into a 3d editor and drag textures on them to preview them?

Second, I'm following ]EE['s guide for CSP and it says extract COMMON5_en.pac in the root/system folder.
I don't see that folder, or that pac

I have

WII DISC
-Partition: 0 - PART INFO
+Partition:1 - UPDATE
+Partition:2 - DATA
. +partition.bin ....
. +system
. . -banner0.bin
. . -banner0_en.bin....
. . -common.pac
. . -common2.pac....
. . -common5.pac
. +toy
-Partition:3 - VC GAME[HA8P]

I do not see the required file. Is common5.pac the one I want?

Sepraphim

Smash Rookie
First of all, can you just drag models in the 3DModels(NW4R) folder into a 3d editor and drag textures on them to preview them?

Second, I'm following ]EE['s guide for CSP and it says extract COMMON5_en.pac in the root/system folder.
I don't see that folder, or that pac

I have

WII DISC
-Partition: 0 - PART INFO
+Partition:1 - UPDATE
+Partition:2 - DATA
. +partition.bin ....
. +system
. . -banner0.bin
. . -banner0_en.bin....
. . -common.pac
. . -common2.pac....
. . -common5.pac
. +toy
-Partition:3 - VC GAME[HA8P]

I do not see the required file. Is common5.pac the one I want?
I'm having troubles with that too. I believe coomon5.pac is the file, because inside you do find what they say in the guide, but i find there only 000.pac and 001.pac. can anyone help?

Coins

Smash Cadet
No, that doesn't work. Even if you convert them to a readable format they are all scrambled.
The way that i got these models was from over at facepunchstudios where sabretooth has been fixing them.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
However if you rip a character's trophy models, they'll come out fine and the character textures will apply fine to them.

Segab

Smash Rookie
that's cool..
but where are those trophy models?
and how do I apply the texture to the model? (with Maya or 3DS Max, it doesn't matter)

Sepraphim

Smash Rookie
Could someone please reffer to my question about CSP? I've SSBextracted common5.pac, yet I get only 000 and 001 .pac files. I don't get the 003.bin file required to edit the CSP. could someone please help me with that?

Coins

Smash Cadet
Could someone please reffer to my question about CSP? I've SSBextracted common5.pac, yet I get only 000 and 001 .pac files. I don't get the 003.bin file required to edit the CSP. could someone please help me with that?
I get the same thing, i'm trying to figure it out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom