• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl is Part of the 2010 MLG season: $60,000 in prizes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prawn

Smash Master
you do realize that while items will lessen the effects of planking and the such, they will otherwise improve MK more than they improve the majority of the cast
MK's weakness's:
Light weight
no projectiles
you do realize that thats wes and hes trollin the **** out of you

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
All good people who quit this game because they weren't winning enough money, have no johns now, at 8TH PLACE you make a grand, which was roughly what 2nd place makes at any brawl national currently.

jmanxiv

Smash Apprentice
A good question will be, how many people are picking mk? now that a butt load of money is on the line.

Prawn

Smash Master
The problem I have with SSB is that they don't the rule "no-platforming". This was a rule me and my friends used in Melee that kept things more competitive. If you don't know what it is, it's basically, when you knock a player off the fighting platform, you cannot keep hitting them so that they can not get back on. Allowing that is kinda stupid.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

lol.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
Just so everyone is clear, the online qualifiers are NOT required, and they will not start until AFTER Orlando. Details will be released soon on the entire circuit very soon. Here is what I can confirm, and look for a post from JV soon:

-We WILL have 2v2, 100% pot payout
-After columbus the top 16 in rank points will be 'Pro' and will receive a $200 travel stipend to the next event
-Invites to Nationals will be done by cumulative rank points, with more details to be released later

Like I said, JV will post more later, but if you are serious about competing you should try to attend all of the MLG events.

So Fatal

Smash Master
Just so everyone is clear, the online qualifiers are NOT required, and they will not start until AFTER Orlando. Details will be released soon on the entire circuit very soon. Here is what I can confirm, and look for a post from JV soon:

-We WILL have 2v2, 100% pot payout
-After columbus the top 16 in rank points will be 'Pro' and will receive a $200 travel stipend to the next event
-Invites to Nationals will be done by cumulative rank points, with more details to be released later

Like I said, JV will post more later, but if you are serious about competing you should try to attend all of the MLG events.
top 16 will also get you free entry? and do all 16 players get 200$ stipends?

OverLade

Smash Hero
I'm guessing top 16 at Orlando will probably be the hardest top 16 of any tourney of all time though haha.

Sounds exciting.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
We'll see how exciting it really is when the time comes.

More money in brawl though doesn't equate to more excitement sadly. Hopefully this doesn't lead to gayer play.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
We'll see how exciting it really is when the time comes.

More money in brawl though doesn't equate to more excitement sadly. Hopefully this doesn't lead to gayer play.
Last warning. I really don't want to waste my time reading this garbage. Please clean it up or don't post.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Interesting. I'll probably watch what plays out, however I'm curious to see the rule set MLG will use.

All in good time I suppose.

TP

Smash Master
Good **** everyone who is complaining in response to the best possible thing happening. Good ****.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
Im coolwith this but Im sure that some smashers are going to ruin this. I cant see people going OMG look at that MK Plank or something for 8 minutes. I feel this will make this game look even worse to the world than it already does.... But luckly i dont remember anyone in florida that camps like that....

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Last warning. I really don't want to waste my time reading this garbage. Please clean it up or don't post.
tbh, you probobly wont get this much negativity if you either; ban MK or ban the tactics around MK...
even stil, you wont get as much intensity in a brawl match than you would a melee match(if you feel like im saying garbage, then ignore me)

TP

Smash Master
mc-killa, the point is the Melee is 9 ****ing years old and not the newest game in the series. NOTHING could overcome an obstacle of that size. All the positives of going with Melee over Brawl are completely negated by the fact that Melee is too old. Therefore, ANY posts about Melee are a waste of space.

As for MK, a solid anti-stalling rule is going to be very helpful in terms of making Brawl more enjoyable to watch, but banning the character is a bad choice for business. You can't interview the pros at the event and have them say the ruleset blows because MK is banned. I'm PRO BAN, but not for MLG. That would be stupid.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
mc-killa, the point is the Melee is 9 ****ing years old and not the newest game in the series. NOTHING could overcome an obstacle of that size. All the positives of going with Melee over Brawl are completely negated by the fact that Melee is too old. Therefore, ANY posts about Melee are a waste of space..
age dosent make a game better or worse in some cases(halo 2> halo 3, yet mlg picks 3 since its newer) the same is applied here, YES in terms of competitiveness melee is one of those game you wanna watch over and over again(im not trying to go melee vs brawl here but...)but mlg is going for brawl even though its considred(around here) the lesser game with too many problems going for it to be taken as seriously as melee is. and ANY talk about melee is NOT a waste of space,really....dont be that guy...

and i dont hate brawl, i just wish there was more to get behind with this game...

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Claps been great about posting and getting details out. But thought I would chime in with a few things here.

First off, a brief summary for those of you that haven't been to the Pro Circuit ever or in awhile. It simply is the best competitive gaming experience out there. It is a huge production. Sponsor booths with giveaways/contest, models (yes models rock), lights everywhere, gamers from around the world, a huge main stage, some of the best equipment you will ever see, incredible venues, amazing tournaments admins, staff, and some of the best run tournaments you will ever go to. It really is the pinnacle of competitive gaming experiences out there. I would suggest taking a look through some photo galleries to get an idea of what I am talking about. And when it comes to the 2010 season you can only expect bigger and better things. I've spent several years going to tournaments all over and MLG are the tournaments to go to, period.

Great picture of welcome announcement

So being back on the circuit it's important that everyone represents our community like we should. Showing MLG why we are one of the biggest, best communities out there, and show up in droves to events. It's an experience you will not regret.

In terms of some more details.
-We will do door registration for 2v2 with 100% payouts (Exact % per place structure TBD). So that means on top of the huge prizes for singles (and incredible prizes for finals) there will be a full 2v2 pot. Teams are too amazing for us to leave them out.
-You are not required to play online to play in the events. Online is just used to tie into your seed points into events. But live seed points will be the primary factor. More details to come there.
-Only the top players as by live rank points throughout the season will qualify for finals. That means the more events you come to the better chance you have to punch your ticket to finals for a chance to play for the largest prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th ever given out for a smash tournament anywhere ever.
-On top of that the top 16 players based on season rank points will be given a $200 check by simply showing up to an event after Columbus. Not to mention have the chance to compete for single prizes, doubles prizes, and that finals spot.

Now to some more general stuff.

Melee, I frickin love Melee. But the simple reality is that Brawl is a good game in its own right. And in terms of growing this, getting sponsors on board, taking it to new heights aka the things we want to do here. It just makes more sense to go with Brawl. I have no doubt there will continue to be a great grassroots community for Melee and plenty of tournaments to be had. But guys, seriously do what's right for the community as a whole and don't derail this thread with the whole Brawl vs. Melee thing. We got one of the VPs of the company posting in here, so lets start with being back on the circuit on a good note as he was one of the guys that was pushing for it on our behalf and go from there.

TP

Smash Master
Great post JV.

Allow me to make one last post on the whole Melee thing. I know a lot of people who prefer Melee to Brawl. As a matter of fact, I'm one of them. But you know what? This isn't about which game is better. This is about Brawl getting a golden opportunity to grow into something truly special. If you are really too bitter about all this to recognize the negative impact your Melee posts are having, then you really need to reconsider if you are part of a community here or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom