• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl is dying in FL... Lets kill it and resurrect melee, who's with me?

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
How about we get together for TF2?!
somebody 6v6 MM eGO at TF2 :D

jk our CAL team just recently ended :(

somebody add me on steam though :D

I'm down for killing brawl though. Good idea Joe, I'd come.

If I started holding melee tourneys in Beverly Hills(about two hours from kissmmee), in the middle of tampa and gainesville, would anybody come?

I found a really good church venue thats big, spacey, and the best part is its cheap and I only have to donate some cash(5 buck door fee?).

So I'll start holding tourneys if people will come.

Zoro

Smash Champion
Smash takes too long i dont think any other fighting game takes as long to finish a match.

I dont think its possible to hold melee and brawl on the same day with a large amount of people.

Other tourneys may hold several games but they either have alot more tvs or less entrants for each game.
Well i just dont see it happening for smash but i could be wrong.

Leh

Smash Ace
Smash takes too long i dont think any other fighting game takes as long to finish a match.

I dont think its possible to hold melee and brawl on the same day with a large amount of people.

Other tourneys may hold several games but they either have alot more tvs or less entrants for each game.
Well i just dont see it happening for smash but i could be wrong.
Less entrants? Highly doubtful.
Smash does take long, but length shouldnt stop us from hosting 2 tourneys.

Zoro

Smash Champion
like there might be 200 people in the whole place but i doubt thhose 200 people know how to play every single game there.

Gigs' first brawl tourney has 120 people and lasted till 4 am.

With about 6 tvs so unless we get more tvs in these venues we cant change much.

Leh

Smash Ace
like there might be 200 people in the whole place but i doubt thhose 200 people know how to play every single game there.

Gigs' first brawl tourney has 120 people and lasted till 4 am.

With about 6 tvs so unless we get more tvs in these venues we cant change much.
The was its first brawl tourney, theres a reason that Gigs has only had one 120 brawl tourney. Brawl was new then (like...only 2 or 3 months old).

Theres absolutely no reason melee and brawl cant be ran together, especially i DOUBT there will be anymore 120 person tourneys, and even if there is, witha good amount of Tv's it wouldnt be hard at all.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm pretty sure if the community is consistent in reminding everyone to bring more setups then we could have enough to finish a Melee and Brawl tournament the same time it usually takes to finish a Brawl tournament, possibly even sooner if people listen.

Zoro

Smash Champion
The was its first brawl tourney, theres a reason that Gigs has only had one 120 brawl tourney. Brawl was new then (like...only 2 or 3 months old).

Theres absolutely no reason melee and brawl cant be ran together, especially i DOUBT there will be anymore 120 person tourneys, and even if there is, witha good amount of Tv's it wouldnt be hard at all.
Well lets get to it :)

People bring them tvs

Equi

Smash Ace
I say scratch both Melee and Brawl and we reinstate chess tournaments, strictly. Chess = Melee is the continual analogy around here so I'm only using the community equation.

Heh, in all seriousness though I'm down for Melee tournaments again. I stopped Brawl for a while because I got bored to be honest, I hate playing gay and campy to win at a fighting game, I really want to go back to Melee where it was all technical aggression with some camping, but you can still be aggressive. The game felt more 'sane' and rightful to me. You get owned by skill. Of course I don't blame Brawl players for shining the way they do, they're only playing the game the way it's suppose to be played, and it's not that hard to figure out, too much aggression is a bad thing, it's a defensive oriented game, which is why strategies such as prowling worked.

I say bring Melee back. I was playing it at ZP the other day with Spider Sense and I was having more fun in those fool around Falco/Ganon and Marth/Ganon matches then I have in a LONGGG time. Excitement and laughter that I NEVER get when playing Brawl, ever. Even when I'm owning someone.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
i heard zp closed down forgood emilio give mike a call to see whats up u dont want ur only tourney to be ruined now

brawl is been madd fun for me lately but im still down on killing brawl for melee lol i liking both games alot right now. i want to teach matt melee. if one must die for 1 to be played then tthe 1 has to be brawl

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
i say we kill everything and bring back smash 64....

weren't those kind of arguments going on wen melee came out, wen people didn't kno how to play melee, but knew EVERYTHING there was to know about 64?

the thing brawl noobs (people who hate brawl) are lacking is knowledge, and just like in melee and brawl, wen you dont know a matchup, ur not gona have fun, and wen u know the matchup even if its bad, you can have fun cuz you know what ur doing.

i think wen more people figure out wat to do, and as the meta game for brawl progresses its gona either start RESEMBLING melee, or at least give people the same thrill as it, just as melee replaced 64, brawl can be a perfect substitute for melee, or at the very least co-exist just fine along with it.

wen people wana rely on technical ability to overwelm opponents, they can play melee,

wen people wana rely solely on patience and smarts, invisible walls and bull**** to overwelm opponents, they can play brawl.

P.S. i love both btw.

i just think people are too hastey to go back to a game just cuz they kno what they're doing in that game.

why do u THINK chops likes playing brawl now?
cuz hes having fun, and he knows wat hes doing.

3 months ago he ****ing wanted the game to die in a pit of fire and soot.
now hes just saying "if i HAD to choose one he'd choose to play melee"

i say in a couple more months as meta game progresses, he MIGHT start to perfer brawl, he might not, but he certainly wont hate it, and thats something im hoping from the rest of the bralee community.

Zoro

Smash Champion
yeah right seibrik
you play dedede the most non fun character in the universe

you like it cuz your getting m oney for it if you wernt youd probably dislike it

Edit:in response to Qdvs's post at the bottom since i dont wanna waste space

Ive tried to go to every melee tournament since brawl came out i havnt made em all but most of them i have.

Everyone who used to play the game and wants it back has to actually SHOW UP

other wise the rate at which we have tournaments for melee will decrease to how it is now which is one tournament every2 or 3 months.

yeah brawl doesnt need to die there are plenty of noobs that can make money in that game. We just need everyone who says their coming to actually come.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Hey guys I got a question. For most Florida tournaments how far are you guys from Fort Myers? My relative owns a house around there, so I am thinking when I go down there from kanadia I should come to a tourny.

crispyone

Smash Journeyman
I'm for resurrecting melee but without killing brawl. I'll admit that I cannot stand playing brawl, but there's no reason to end it completely.

the thing brawl noobs (people who hate brawl) are lacking is knowledge, and just like in melee and brawl, wen you dont know a matchup, ur not gona have fun, and wen u know the matchup even if its bad, you can have fun cuz you know what ur doing.

i think wen more people figure out wat to do, and as the meta game for brawl progresses its gona either start RESEMBLING melee, or at least give people the same thrill as it, just as melee replaced 64, brawl can be a perfect substitute for melee, or at the very least co-exist just fine along with it.

wen people wana rely on technical ability to overwelm opponents, they can play melee,

wen people wana rely solely on patience and smarts, invisible walls and bull**** to overwelm opponents, they can play brawl.
You can't call people "brawl noobs" if they hate brawl. People may hate brawl but still have knowledge about the game. I don't know about you, but I actually have fun in those matches where I don't understand the matchup.

Do you truly believe that the brawl meta game still will progress? Is there anything more to learn or understand?

I doubt that brawl will reach the thrill that people experience when playing melee. You can't tell me you have fun chaingrabbing your opponent with ddd (That's pretty much the only thing I read on these boards about your ddd). It takes no skill AT ALL.

In melee you don't need to completely rely on tech skill to win. Dashdancing and tech chasing can frustrate an opponent.

I do not have the patience to play or watch a brawl match. Even at 3 stocks, matches are still too long.

Agrees with hungry's post below.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
wouldnt melee have to been dead first before it can be resurrected. Its been the main tourney game for the past what...7 years now? Just cause it isnt the main game anymore since brawl came out, doesnt mean melee is dead.

I've lost WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more money in brawl that ive won (which is almost none), and i still like brawl more than melee. Overwhelming someone with tech skill just doesnt interest me. I like brawl more cause it requires more thinking for you to win, for the most part cause there ARE some BS tactics, just like there were in melee. In melee, if you had greater tech skill than the other person, it really didnt matter what character they played cause there was a 90% chance you'd win. Theres really no way to just baffle someone in brawl thats current in the progression of the metagame (someone whos behind can still get overwhelmed, like QDVS by tornado-spam at last gigs), so you have to know not only all of your moves and their spacing but all of THEIR moves and spacing, and how much they lag after certain attacks, etc. and because brawl is so easy control wise, you can play almost any character and do well if youre smart enough. You may not notice cause alot of people just eventually change to high tier to take the easy way out, but all of you melee pros are smart enough to pick up whoever and learn the game and beat everyone.

I know im rambling on, but the point is: No one is killing melee. you melee kids are the ones not going to your own tournaments. You all clamour about melee, but at big melee tourneys like gigs and everbody loves mankos, no one shows up. Theres no reason why melee and brawl cant coexist. The fact that you want brawl dead just means you'd rather play a 7 year old game you like cause you can overwhelm people with sheer tech skill and look cool than learn a new game that you wont look as cool in, but you could be good at if you tried.

Since brawl is easy, i suggest you all just play the character you find the most fun and get good enough with them and smart enough to beat everyone. You aren't gonna get overwhelmed with tech skill, so all you have to do is learn your moves and learn how to safely punish with them and youll be fine. Im no expert, i suck in brawl and melee compared to you guys, but i at least recognize that discussions like this are just dumb.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow @ that post ^^^^^

You obviously don't know much about competitive melee...

And to the topic, I don't think that brawl needs to die...we just, as many have said, need more melee tourneys and more importantly for people to go to them who say they like melee more!!!

I've been to as many melee tourneys since brawl came out in my power...I'm planning on going to Linguini's, Gigabits, and Event 52 (in Kansas)!!!

I wanna see all you people who say you love melee come to the melee tourneys too!!!

Or we could just do Melee Singles +Brawl doubles tourneys!!!

Yeah buddy!!!

:colorful:

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
lets just allow the games to co-exist...if brawl's metagame doesn't increase then maybe we can drop brawl but for now lets give the game room to breath...it hasn't even been a year. Before melee got all super technical i believe that it had been out for several years, then as more and more glitches were found the game became more and more fun...just because there is a lack of hitstun, and you can't wavedash & L-cancel (the three most important reason that everyone's crying about killing brawl doesn't mean that its metagame has reached its limit...give the game some time...

Master Raven

Smash Master
I don't know if he still prefers Melee but M2K recently stated he likes Brawl now (plus a friend of mine who went to CH4 told me he likes it more than Melee now, and M2K has been saying he's been getting bored with Melee recently last time I checked...).

Not much relevant to the discussion but I just wanted to throw a comment there regarding his opinion. :psycho:

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
lets just allow the games to co-exist...if brawl's metagame doesn't increase then maybe we can drop brawl but for now lets give the game room to breath...it hasn't even been a year. Before melee got all super technical i believe that it had been out for several years, then as more and more glitches were found the game became more and more fun...just because there is a lack of hitstun, and you can't wavedash & L-cancel (the three most important reason that everyone's crying about killing brawl doesn't mean that its metagame has reached its limit...give the game some time...
These are my feelings towards Brawl. I'm tired of everyone complaining about how little there is. Just give it some time, jeez.

Zoro

Smash Champion
Lime you play zelda in brawl?

Seriously? and you still like brawl more!? if you dont ok but ZELDA!

run up smash dash attack up smash dins fire dins fire dins fire boot/ forward smash yay

Im saying zelda is boring if u didnt get that

Master Raven

Smash Master
Dodging DF spam is funny. I played a Zelda player on Castle Siege one time and at the walkoff part of the stage he spammed it like the whole duration and I basically breakdanced my way around it. :laugh:

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
you can actually do alot more with zelda, i played her for a bit, she has crazy potential if you can switch between her and shiek correctly, and you can also do several other attacks besides that, farore's wind is actually really good, so is her d-tilt, no one plays her alot so the metagame is low for her, same thing as rx-'s mk and m2k mk, 100% different, so lets see other zelda players b4 we say they all play alike.

Zoro

Smash Champion
No zelda is a very good character i know cuz i play one everyday

shes still boring as all hell to play

an extremely stationary character that hardly has to move to win

you dont have to do any of the things you mentioned all you need is up smash, forward smash and dinsfire maybe dash attack

Leh

Smash Ace

weren't those kind of arguments going on wen melee came out, wen people didn't kno how to play melee, but knew EVERYTHING there was to know about 64?

P.S. i love both btw.

i just think people are too hastey to go back to a game just cuz they kno what they're doing in that game.

i say in a couple more months as meta game progresses, he MIGHT start to perfer brawl, he might not, but he certainly wont hate it, and thats something im hoping from the rest of the bralee community.
False, the more i play brawl, the more i hate it. But unlike others im not comparing it to melee, im actually comparing it to other fighting games.

The more i play brawl the more i dont have fun.
I dont know how you have fun, but Zoro hit it right on the dot, D3 is the most boring character. ITS EVEN WORSE if your fighting him, its such a stupid fight its the most frustrating/boring thing i've ever experience in a game (including IWBTG...Monk/Lime/Hunter know what i mean).

I wont lie, i dont care about looking conceited or w/e anymore. I know im really good at brawl, better then 95% of the people who play in Florida. And im tired of the game. The only matchup i enjoy is Snake vs Snake (with lambchops...if its with Hrnut its fvckin boring...cuz why approach when you can camp!). Im tired of watching myself get chaingrabbed to the edge, or ledgecamped for 7 minutes, or straight camped by someone that shouldnt even be campin (HRnut..down a stock but still camping? Thats fvckin impossible...). If thats the way the game is to be played, i dont want to be apart of it, its not fun, its boring, and makes for HORRIBLE competition. I can only hope that the metagame evolves past the state it's in now. But if it doesnt...

(Btw, not saying my playstyle is any better then anyone elses)

EDIT:
I dont see why the games cant be ran together.
BUT if i had to choose ONE game to be ran...i think i'd choose melee.

Life After Death

Smash Champion

P.S. i love both btw.

ur right but sort of wrong its prolly impossible for me to like melee more than brawl. melee is eye candy while brawl is not lol its only fun when YOUR playing or if its someone using ur main. but yea knowing what ur doing always makes it fun cuz alot of **** goes youur way. but yea in melee at least its fun to watch and play. it might get to the point where i like both games equally but i rather play a fun loooking game than a boring looking game. u prolly like melel alot more whe nu know what your doing again. lets get like 30 matches in melee b4 we play brawl when u come over

not only that peopel seem to have a hard time seenig skills in brawl. most peopel wil lsay ur character is boring.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Lime you play zelda in brawl?

Seriously? and you still like brawl more!? if you dont ok but ZELDA!

run up smash dash attack up smash dins fire dins fire dins fire boot/ forward smash yay

Im saying zelda is boring if u didnt get that
Well,... seeing as I fight Monk most of the time... I can't really Din's Fire alot, he's just cape it... and I'd get punished for dash attacking...

But, Zelda doesn't have much of an approach... you have to let them come to you... otherwise, the most you can to is get shield grabbed because you decided to do an aerial attack...

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
We should have a tourney with no top/high allowed. It'd have interesting results and amusing matches lol

Zoro

Smash Champion
Well,... seeing as I fight Monk most of the time... I can't really Din's Fire alot, he's just cape it... and I'd get punished for dash attacking...

But, Zelda doesn't have much of an approach... you have to let them come to you... otherwise, the most you can to is get shield grabbed because you decided to do an aerial attack...
I rest my case lime

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
False, the more i play brawl, the more i hate it. But unlike others im not comparing it to melee, im actually comparing it to other fighting games.

The more i play brawl the more i dont have fun.
I dont know how you have fun, but Zoro hit it right on the dot, D3 is the most boring character. ITS EVEN WORSE if your fighting him, its such a stupid fight its the most frustrating/boring thing i've ever experience in a game (including IWBTG...Monk/Lime/Hunter know what i mean).

I wont lie, i dont care about looking conceited or w/e anymore. I know im really good at brawl, better then 95% of the people who play in Florida. And im tired of the game. The only matchup i enjoy is Snake vs Snake (with lambchops...if its with Hrnut its fvckin boring...cuz why approach when you can camp!). Im tired of watching myself get chaingrabbed to the edge, or ledgecamped for 7 minutes, or straight camped by someone that shouldnt even be campin (HRnut..down a stock but still camping? Thats fvckin impossible...). If thats the way the game is to be played, i dont want to be apart of it, its not fun, its boring, and makes for HORRIBLE competition. I can only hope that the metagame evolves past the state it's in now. But if it doesnt...

(Btw, not saying my playstyle is any better then anyone elses)

EDIT:
I dont see why the games cant be ran together.
BUT if i had to choose ONE game to be ran...i think i'd choose melee.
the only reason i camp is because thats the only way that i've learned how to fight you, i can't really approach you for some reason, look at these

camping = win
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmZYuSVupKg&feature=related

rushing in = lose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ShHN70Pn0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgA7mgVII_0&feature=related

this whole match i approached and you see what happened, i wasn't 100% trying but still, approaching you isn't fun...i actually hate playing snake vs snake, i'd love if i could walk up to you and fight too bad a sword is shorter than a knee:urg: you should try playing marth vs snake and rush in, watch how you'll get wrecked, actually most characters that just rush in get wrecked, and whenever i'm up a stock i'm not gonna get wreckless because we both know how easy it is to die to an U-tilt, i actually hate camping, you should watch some of my other matches...i'm usually chasing unless i need to camp, when i fight chops in snake dittos i enjoy it because i don't have to camp, we should play some friendlies so that i'll feel more comfortable during that match....i don't every mean to give you a boring match

Gingerr

Smash Lord
No zelda is a very good character i know cuz i play one everyday

shes still boring as all hell to play

an extremely stationary character that hardly has to move to win

you dont have to do any of the things you mentioned all you need is up smash, forward smash and dinsfire maybe dash attack
I agree, she is REALLY boring.

Top Bottom