• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sonic vs Pit needs to be looked upon.
Sonic is definitely not at a disadvantage against Lucas. IMO its advantage for sonic if not then neutral.
Sonic vs ROB is neutral. This can be confirmed if you ask Overswarm and several other ROB mains.
Sonic vs Oliamr: Neutral The Olimar boards can confirm this

DDD matchups= everything needs to get fixed

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I agree with the above changes.

Especially the DDD matchups, but unfortunately if that's going to change it means people need to come in here and argue individual matchups.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Air range, power, priority, weight
Air range isn't an advantage. It's totally irrelevant to this matchup. Olimar can sit on the ground the whole match and beat ike. Power doesn't mean anything when you can't hit with it. His attacks are either too slow or have too much lag to mean anything. Olimar has very powerful attacks as well. Priority has no weight on this matchup. Ike does have the weight advantage I guess, but it's easily overcome since he's heavy, which makes it very easy to combo him and keep him airborne.

Since when is this matchup specific?
It isn't. The characters that have no safe approaches are at a very large disadvantage to Olimar, which is my point. <_<

Which can be worked around.
Would you mind explaining? He lacks too much speed to work his way around it.

If Ike uses QD to recover, he deserves to die.
I guess you're right. No matter which way he tries to recover, if he doesn't get above the stage, he's going to die. QD is his only option many times. Aether is easily edgehogged as well.
Lol, I also thought Ivan was going to change this. There's really no debate. Everyone from both sides agree.
10greenchars

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I can definitely fight for a Sonic vs R.O.B. Nuetral decision. Been palying them alot and we both have diff advantages and disadvantages but when thrown in the mix it makes for a really fun, tight game.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
MK is > DK. Or at least equal matchup.

I say this because that red X in MK's row is out of place and you know it. It doesn't belong.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Sonic vs Pit needs to be looked upon.
Sonic is definitely not at a disadvantage against Lucas. IMO its advantage for sonic if not then neutral.
Sonic vs ROB is neutral. This can be confirmed if you ask Overswarm and several other ROB mains.

DDD matchups= everything needs to get fixed
I second this.
Also, Sonic isn't at an advantage against Dedede, I see it as neutral and so do quite a few people but some people see it as Dedede's advantage ¬_¬
I've seen Ness and Sonic as neutral on both boards, and I'm in agreement.
It was agreed a while ago that Peach was at the advantage against Sonic, and not neutral.
Finally, Sonic is not disadvantaged against Pit lol. It's neutral at worst.

Edit : I see that I argued Sonic being at the advantage against Bowser ages ago and it got freakin ignored >.>

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Why is Falco vs Kirby still in Falcos favour? I think it's agree'd by now, that it's 50:50

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Link Vs Donkey Kong should be changed....

Link Boards just gave it a 80:20 matchup advantage for Link against DK....
I'm not sure if its that much but thats quite a statement and people are tending to agree.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
80:20 for Link

What are you smoking? (And what's more important: where can I get it from?)

Masky

Smash Master
Is there a source for Ness > Dedede? I couldn't find anything in the Dedede matchup thread

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Ike has nothing on Olimar. Seriously. It's very pitiful to watch. He's got NO safe approaches, a range disadvantage on the ground, and an easily gimped recovery in throwing pikmin at his sideb. (he hits the pikmin) Ask any Olimainer or Ike mainer. It's sad.
kind of funny taking about the recovery that Ike is supposed to avoid and Olimar having like the worst recovery in the game. It is a lot easier to gimp Olimar than Ike.

Air range isn't an advantage. It's totally irrelevant to this matchup. Olimar can sit on the ground the whole match and beat ike. Power doesn't mean anything when you can't hit with it. His attacks are either too slow or have too much lag to mean anything. Olimar has very powerful attacks as well. Priority has no weight on this matchup. Ike does have the weight advantage I guess, but it's easily overcome since he's heavy, which makes it very easy to combo him and keep him airborne.

Air range is an advantage, Olimar is light, Ike is strong, at 50% he will be sending him off the stage with a jab combo and into the air so Olimar can't sit on the ground the whole match because this isn't a 100%-0 match up.

To slow and to much lag are the same thing you know. It is also a very common misconception. 3 of Ikes aerials can be auto canceled and his Nair can lead into a jab combo which makes for a nice 25% QD is also fast enough to hit you if you miss a grab.

It isn't. The characters that have no safe approaches are at a very large disadvantage to Olimar, which is my point. <_<
You can always wait for an opening in olimar. After all just standing there won't get you anywhere as well. This isn't an aggressive match for Ike and since he is great at punishing patience is a virtue.

Would you mind explaining? He lacks too much speed to work his way around it.
you hit him into the air or off the stage

I guess you're right. No matter which way he tries to recover, if he doesn't get above the stage, he's going to die. QD is his only option many times. Aether is easily edgehogged as well.
When someone thinks QD is his only option many times it means they know nothing about Ike. There is like 1 position where aether won't save you and If you DI properly you shouldn't get put in that position.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dude, I've played Ike more than enough to get the jist of the matchup. It's heavily advantaged for Olimar. Ike is too slow, he's pressured by pikmin throw to approach waaaay too aggressively, and can't handle Olimar's grab game. It's that simple. This isn't even debatable.

Oh, and the speed on an attack is how quickly the hitbox is delivered. Lag is the delay on an attack. They're not interchangeable.

Edit:
:olimar: Olimar 2-8 D
Ike: 70-30

Gindler

Smash Champion
Is it just me or has this matchup thing not been updated since it was started?

Then again that chart looked like it was a big pain to make so i don't blame them.

gantrain05

Smash Master
what about ness > DK i know that as a ness main i've played many very good DK's and its not uncommon for me to 2-3 stock them with ness. in my experience Fair pretty much ***** every single approach and defense option for dk if its spaced well, he can either shield or run away since he has no moves that outprioritize it, if he shields its easy enough to start the attack low to the ground, and finish with a jab combo, and usually by then the shield is too low to block, and once he's off stage i find it extremely easy to spike DK with ness's Dair.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Is it just me or has this matchup thing not been updated since it was started?

Then again that chart looked like it was a big pain to make so i don't blame them.
With the creation of the other Match-up chart I really can't see how this one is useful anymore. The other chart is based off of the characters' specific board thoughts on the matchups; it's way better than the system this one follows.

Just my humble opinion.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
We should go down the chart week by week, looking at a specific char each week (preferably in alphabetical order) and review and revise the matchups for that specific character. That way, rather than having several different discussions on several different characters, we can focus on cleaning up one specific set of matchups.

Later on, when the majority of characters are completed, we could even increase it to two per week. The matchups vs. the characters above the character of the week have already been done. (Ex. on Luigi's week we don't need to review Luigi vs. Bowser, as that has already been done during Bowser week; therefore we can do Luigi and Mario in the same week, to save time)

Just a suggestion. Comments? Criticisms?

Mmac

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, Meta Knight and Yoshi has pretty much agreed on a Neutral Matchup
Crap, I meant to post this at the other list....

Would be nice if Ivan did update this though, along with Yoshi's other agreed Matchup's

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, not trying to doubt or anything, but why is DK the only one with an advantage over MK?

I want to at least secondary someone with an advantage over MK, but DK is just not my style. I have tried to get good with him and just can't.

But yeah, I'm curious what about DK gives the advantage.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Just wondering, not trying to doubt or anything, but why is DK the only one with an advantage over MK?

I want to at least secondary someone with an advantage over MK, but DK is just not my style. I have tried to get good with him and just can't.

But yeah, I'm curious what about DK gives the advantage.
Nothing.

MK spaces like a Marth would (right in ftilt range) and all DK has is he can kill early. He's powerful, and has good priority, but MK is more effective in this match-up. 60-40, like Snake and Marth (which is a good match-up against MK).

The only char that I can think of that can possibly have the advantage is Diddy, because he's such a quirky character.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Squirtle > DK? DK is a nightmare to Squirtle! Constantly being out-ranged, grabbed, and killed at low percentages. Not to mention that he can chaingrab him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom