• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Serial

Smash Lord
I was surprised to see that the list is fairly accurate. Good job. ^^
For the Link match up however:
I think that Diddy might have the advantage since his ground game is so strong and his stage control beats Link with his bananas.
I think that the Luigi match up isn't in Link's advantage. It's either even or disadvantage.. I don't know, maybe I don't know how to play against Luigis.
Against Marth, I'm never really sure. Most Links would say that the match up is even, and most Marths would say that Link is at a disadvantage. It's probably 55:45 in Marth's favor.
I think that it's pretty even vs Ness, but the grab release thing on Ness really hurts him.
The Pikachu match up is either even or a disadvantage for Link.
ROB is an even match up.
I'm not sure how Sonic has the advantage in this match up. Enlighten me?
I think that Toon Link has the advantage vs Link. So should Wario..
I'm not very educated in the match up vs Zelda and ZSS, but I would love to know why Link is at a disadvantage.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario goes even with IC's. It says that on the IC matchup thread, and it says that in the Wario matchup thread.

gantrain05

Smash Master
saying it isnt hard for metaknight to approach snake is the most ******** statement i've ever heard, there is not a single character that doesn't have trouble approaching a good snake, i don't care how fast you think meta is, he can't just walk thru mines, grenades, nikitas, and then Ftilt/Utilt/AAA combo waiting at the end of it all, snake has stage control in this matchup, and snakes kill moves have so much speed and power its impossible to dodge them all.

QuantumCat

Smash Rookie
My Opinions:

// Things to look into \/
Marth > Shiek? IMO Marths bigger reach puts him at a big enough advantage to say he wins 60/40 or 70/30
Olimar > Snake? Olimars larger standing reach gives him the advantage. Plus, he wins in the air.
Luigi > Shiek I think this is one of those weird counters like in melee. In melee luigi countered space animals due to his extreme floatyness. In brawl, sheik cant **** as hard with tilts because weegee'd DI+floatyness lets him get away.
Donkey Kong > Olimar? Even
Falco < Marth? Uninformed
Metaknight > Snake? I know im going to get flamed for this, but imo Snake > meta. Gernade spam owns meta. Plus mining and c4ing edges destroys his shuttle loop recov.
I came to this thread from the Teir List discussion thread. I was wondering how one would get a ranking list from this chart. The way i see it is like this. Assign each matchup a value.
Bold X = -3
Normal X = -2
Even matchup= 0
Check = 2
Bold Check = 3

Using this you would find an overall power level for each character.
For example, bowser would be a -58. He sucks that bad.
If we found this total for each character, we could order them in a fasion that may depict teirs. Im not saying this would be at all definitive.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ok

ZSS is a wario counter, along with yoshi, both are very bad for wario, the grab release thing is basically the reason why

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
ok

ZSS is a wario counter, along with yoshi, both are very bad for wario, the grab release thing is basically the reason why
it's really THAT game breaking? because, I mean, Wario was a solid ZSS counter before... does the grab release really shift the balance THAT much!?!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I honestly don't see really good wario's get grabbed often...

IMO I owuld say Neutral for both
I'd have to agree... especially since ZSS has such an AWFUL AWFUL grab, and will get absolutely ***** if she whiffs

I mean... Wario beat ZSS, and HARD before... so the balance would have to REALLY shift a LOT to give ther the advatage

mood4food77

Smash Hero
the problem is not getting grabbed

so i exaggerated a little bit...it still sucks to get into an infinite

it's like DK against D3, without the infinite, this match-up would be a lot more even

for wario, without the infinite,the match-ups would be in his favor...

and what wario's are really good besides reflex and futile?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
so are you and so am i?

do you think i honostly know everyone on here, i never heard of you before just now

i'm not denying how good he is, i'm just saying i've never heard of him

Shök

Smash Champion
My Opinions:

I came to this thread from the Teir List discussion thread. I was wondering how one would get a ranking list from this chart. The way i see it is like this. Assign each matchup a value.
Bold X = -3
Normal X = -2
Even matchup= 0
Check = 2
Bold Check = 3

If we found this total for each character, we could order them in a fasion that may depict teirs. Im not saying this would be at all definitive.

I think I did this already, but the thread's gone.

what about ganon, he doesn't have one good match up.

and you can't truly call them tiers, then mr game and watch would be god tier and everyone else wouldn't come close.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I think I did this already, but the thread's gone.

what about ganon, he doesn't have one good match up.

and you can't truly call them tiers, then mr game and watch would be god tier and everyone else wouldn't come close.
ganon does pretty decent vs lucario actually, but on another note.

what does everyone think of the matchup peach vs wario? i've done this match alot of times as a peach main, and every match is pretty close.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
My Opinions:

Bold X = -3
Normal X = -2
Even matchup= 0
Check = 2
Bold Check = 3

Bold X = -3, Normal X = -2, Check = 2, and Bold Check = 3 are very crude ways to measure it. It would be better to measure expected win % against each character to see their overall usefulness against the rest of the cast, and to use a weighted sum of those percents based on character frequency in tournaments to see which characters should be doing the best in tournaments.

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
I'm still pretty skeptical about the idea that Metaknight is countered by exactly one character, and that that character is DK. What does DK have that is so great against Metaknight that he gets that coveted blue check mark?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm still pretty skeptical about the idea that Metaknight is countered by exactly one character, and that that character is DK. What does DK have that is so great against Metaknight that he gets that coveted blue check mark?
I'm not exactly sure, but I say MK has NO bad matchups.

KO power and meteor smashes on him? I dunno.

QuantumCat

Smash Rookie
Bold X = -3, Normal X = -2, Check = 2, and Bold Check = 3 are very crude ways to measure it. It would be better to measure expected win % against each character to see their overall usefulness against the rest of the cast, and to use a weighted sum of those percents based on character frequency in tournaments to see which characters should be doing the best in tournaments.
So, if we gathered from each forum the win ratios (50/50, 60/40, 70/30 etc) we could use those. If we go through with this we could do in in excel easily. We have one row for each character, with a column for each of their matchups. We have another column which shows the popularity of each character in high level play. We could use the # of top8 appearances or something. Then we weight each characters matchup with the characters popularity (so going 60/40 with a popular char is worth 65 "matchup points". And going 60/40 with an unpopular char becomes 55 "matchup points. ) Then you average the "matchup points" each character has, and you will end up with a single number. Then you make a list or whatever. How does that sound?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
So, if we gathered from each forum the win ratios (50/50, 60/40, 70/30 etc) we could use those. If we go through with this we could do in in excel easily. We have one row for each character, with a column for each of their matchups. We have another column which shows the popularity of each character in high level play. We could use the # of top8 appearances or something. Then we weight each characters matchup with the characters popularity (so going 60/40 with a popular char is worth 65 "matchup points". And going 60/40 with an unpopular char becomes 55 "matchup points. ) Then you average the "matchup points" each character has, and you will end up with a single number. Then you make a list or whatever. How does that sound?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=45101991

Done already.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's about time for Olimar to get the big check on Link and Ike.

Olimar's projectiles eliminate Link's projectile game, forcing him to approach rather aggressively. Pikmin stop arrows and the boomerang, and if a pikmin is attached to link when he has a bomb in his hand and he throws, the bomb will explode in his face.

Link isn't good at being very aggresive. He's too slow and lacks safe approaching. Both Link's rising and falling fair, bair, dair, and upair can be shieldgrabbed easily. This eliminates air approaches. His zair can be used to approach safely against most characters, but the pikmin force him to be too aggressive. He can't take the time to play the spacing game on Oli. Everything points towards a large advantage for Oli. here's a video I dug up of an Olimar against arguably the best Link in the world-two stocked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5twIZY-Jrnw&feature=related It's not a very good example, but it shows how bad it is.

Ike has nothing on Olimar. Seriously. It's very pitiful to watch. He's got NO safe approaches, a range disadvantage on the ground, and an easily gimped recovery in throwing pikmin at his sideb. (he hits the pikmin) Ask any Olimainer or Ike mainer. It's sad.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Ike has nothing on Olimar.
Air range, power, priority, weight

He's got NO safe approaches,
Since when is this matchup specific?

a range disadvantage on the ground,
Which can be worked around.

and an easily gimped recovery in throwing pikmin at his sideb. (he hits the pikmin)
If Ike uses QD to recover, he deserves to die.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Air range, power, priority, weight
Too bad his speed is so low that getting his air range, power and priority to be an advantage means very little.
its like having a OHKO move. Yeah you have it, but can you land it?
No, Ike cannot.
Since when is this matchup specific?
It is Olimar vs Ike.

Which can be worked around.
Really?
Considering that Ike has to approach most of the tie and being on the ground for too long is a no go, that elaves the air. Which is also somewhat of a no go because his aerial speed isn't exactly good and while he does have range, Olimar is still going to be difficult to hit due to the startup time of is moves.

bair doesn't do much Olimar is very short so landing a Bair is difficult and risky.
If Ike uses QD to recover, he deserves to die.
Agreed though he's still boned since Olimar can just wait a little away from the ledge for Ike to come back up.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
That's nothing. Look at DDD's matchups. God they're so inaccurate I don't know where to begin.

Top Tier:
Metaknight: 52.5 points
Mr. G&W: 51 points
Marth: 50.5 points

High Tier:
Toon Link: 48 points
R.O.B: 47.5 points
Pit: 46.5 points
Snake: 46.5 points
Falco: 46 points
Zelda: 44.5 points
Wolf: 41 points
Olimar: 40.5 points
Pikachu: 40 points

Middle Tier:
Ice Climbers: 38.5 points
Lucario: 37 points
Zero suit Samus: 37 points
Wario: 36.5 points
Kirby: 35.5 points
Diddy Kong: 31 points
Lucas: 31 points
Donkey Kong: 30.5 points
Sheik: 30.5 points
Fox: 29.5 points

Low Tier:
King Dedede: 28 points
Ivysaur: 27 points
Ness: 25 points
Link: 24 points
Sonic: 23.5 points
Peach: 22.5 points
Squirtle: 22 points
Luigi: 21.5 points
ike: 20 points

Bottom Tier
Mario: 18.5 points
Charizard: 14.5 points
Samus:14.5 points
Jigglypuff: 13 points
Yoshi: 13 points
Bowser: 10.5 points

****ed to Hell Tier:
Captain Falcon: 5 points
Ganondorf: 5 points

Before the 1 on tactical discussion did (I call RIP OFF!!!)
Bladepenguin (no relation......that you know of)
didit first
by making a tier list from these match ups with 1.5 for advantage 1 for neutral and 0 dor disadvantage.

DDD got owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom