• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boss Battles on Intense discussion.

Ange

Smash Lord
Spotdodge is better. Rolling is kinda risky IMO.

Is it me, or does Lucario always slide towards Tabuu when Im spotdodging his Off Waves?
When it happens, I stand a little to the right of him.

Kinda wierd.

n88

Smash Lord
Spam Peach Bomber (maybe mix in some aerials). When the boss is about to attack, float. Land. Rinse and repeat.
This=Win. I've done it before. I usually die because I get carried away with the Peach Bomber part, and forget about the dodging, but this strategy does work very well.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Stand below Tabuu that way you can see the waves coming at you at the best/most convenient angle. Just time it and spotdodge them all. It really isn't hard, just don't get nervous and mess up.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
I Lubbs me some ne55, I use pkfire, or dtilt spam on the bosses on the ground.
i also l|k3 to use his sw33t fair, and bair. and Ev3n tho its almost nevr usefull i use his dspecial

For Tabuu, It takes f0rever, cuz 0f d4 teleportin... ~.~
I spot-dodge Tabuus wing pulse, cuz roll is very d4ngerous.

Okay, i h4ve to admit something... my bigg3st problem is porky's r0tating laza, I just shieldbrake, and barely dodge the next attack in time.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
How do i avoid porky's rotating lazer?
Do i just jump away from it?

I usually just take the damage, and live with it, but i'm tired of that.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Stand below Tabuu that way you can see the waves coming at you at the best/most convenient angle. Just time it and spotdodge them all. It really isn't hard, just don't get nervous and mess up.
Well... I tried that, didn't work. I've done it before, though. You have to time it just right.

Rohama

Smash Rookie
So far I've only been able to beet it on intense with zelda and captain falcon by spamming lightning kick/knee of justice.

The most satisfying part was when I went in for the final hit against tabuu i made sure to use his neutral B, giving me the most epic falcon punch victory I've ever recieved.

I got pretty close with the rock smash spam with charizard but I haven't mastered him well enough to manuver him around all of tabuu's attacks.

I've found ness to be pretty good at the boss battles because of his b-air and d-air, and the fact that he can absorb duon's lasers and meta ridley's fireballs giving you basically a whole extra heart container worth of life if you're lucky with the attack selections.

Ange

Smash Lord
How do i avoid porky's rotating lazer?
Do i just jump away from it?

I usually just take the damage, and live with it, but i'm tired of that.
You airdodge it.

Here's how I do it:

* Double jump a little before he sends it out (so the laser will go upwards)
* Airdodge it
* Fast Fall
* Single jump and airdodge the laser again.

Point is, have the laser be under you going upwards, that way its easier to dodge it IMO.

And be some small distance away from Porky, otherwise I think the laser might hit you the second time it tries to shock you.

If you just stand on the ground when he sends it out, it will go in a rather slow angle and might hit you even easier, so I suggest jumping > airdoging it.

TjpDragon

Smash Rookie
ya i tried this one for days... still only have 9 bosses beat... i died by tabuu's shockwave thing where he shoots 3 instant kills out... i didnt know what they were. -.- either way. iceclimbers downB and over b amazing should get there with a few tries. (ps i suck as iceclimbers really)

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
Personally, I think boss battles on intense is the most difficult part of not only this game, but pretty much any game I've played. It is ridiculously difficult and I screamed out a sigh of relief when I finally finished it.

I used fox, and pretty much my whole strat was to shoot lasers. Lots of lasers. And stay safe, making sure I only got hit a few times. Definitely the most aggravating part was Taboo's ring of death.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Lucas ftw. I absorb Duons Lasers and Master Hands Bullets- which if i just stall around for awhile i can get back to 0% health on both of these bosses and then kill them. only hard part is the **** wings on tabuu, timing all 3 spotdodges is a pain, and if you screw up on any of those 3 all the fighting up to that point was worthless. It takes some time to do, but its not too hard. I have got it down to using 2 hearts on Intense with Lucas, but to finish with Zelda or Fox i need all 3 hearts :/

its definatly a challenge, gotta love Intense.

Ridley5000

Smash Apprentice
my mains are mk, wolf, bowser, marth, and fox.
only mk and wolf prevailed until tabuu who used rings of death on me twice in a row with both characters.
i tried with every single character. i usually do good unless it is ridley. on intense he has much better accuracy with his 1 hit ko moves
the pokemon is just annoying and porky is just good at close combat. duon is a pain, and the rest of the bosses unmentioned can be killed easily without any damage taken.
dedede has his continuous hammer twirl and explosion hammer that do wonders. but he is too slow for ridley and and tabuu
any of the starfox characters are probably one of ur best choices (maybe not falco since he is so light...)
lucas and pikachu are effective, but light and ganandork can take alot and give alot, but is slower than grass growing. DONT USE OLIMAR!!!!!!!! HE IS FAST BUT TOO LIGHT AND DOES NOT HAV ENOUGH RANGE TO STAY AWAY FROM DUON!!!!!!!!

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
DONT USE OLIMAR!!!!!!!! HE IS FAST BUT TOO LIGHT AND DOES NOT HAV ENOUGH RANGE TO STAY AWAY FROM DUON!!!!!!!!
You may want to watch this.

This took practice, though. A few pointers:
*Memorize Duon's attack pattern. That helps tell you when he may fire the missiles or use any of his other moves.
*Pikmin Chain provides extra hop power. Use that to evade Duon's charge attack.
*Speaking of Pikmin Chain, use it on Duon when he's firing the missiles to have them blow up in his face. This deals heavy damage to him and gives you fewer obstacles to evade at the same time.
*Keep a moderate distance from Duon so as to use hit-and-run tactics. This is how I succeeded in the video: he couldn't manage anything I couldn't react to well enough (except the mines sometimes) and I could rush in, attack, and rush back out before he could attack again.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I started off using Sonic, Lucario, and Charizard for Boss Battles. That helped me get it done easy until I started fully remembering all of the Bosses moves. Once you memorize the boss' moves and how to watch for them, they tend not to pose any trouble. For some reason, it feels that the faster you are trying to go to fight them, the more likely you are going to lose. Difficulty wize, it would have to be like this

Petey, Ridley, MasterHand, Crazy Hand = Easy
Porly, Galleom=Medium
Rayquaza, Duon, Meta-Ridley = Hard
Tabuu = Final Boss

Those 4 are easy because they are the most predictable, as well as the easiest to kill, stamina-wize. I wouldn't waste a Heart Container on them at all. Try to reset your game if you face too many of these guys first, because you'll end up fighting harder enemys later.

Porky and Galleom are going to damage you, but as long as you haven't taken too much damage, then they shouldn't pose too much of a threat either. These guys you can fight whenever, although they can pose a threat when underestimated.

The 3 actually difficult bosses can knock you off very easily, and seem to either not take as much damage, or last longer than the rest. It's best if you try to fight these guys early, and with as low damage as you can possibly have. If you space out your heart containers, and get lucky with your match ups, you can get past these 3 and have 0 hp at Tabuu, but fighting the 3 of them at the end before Tabuu would certainly stink.

Stick to surviving, and using fast people so you can learn the enemy's attacks at any sign of movement, and to know when to dodge. Then, you can work in those slow people. This helps me, and a lot of my friends who needed tips.

And as for Spammy Charizard, Rock Smash alone isn't going to cut it, and against Tabuu, I personally wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't proficient with him. Squirtle is far more manuverable, and despite being so light, can survive 1 or 2 attacks. I personally find the whip to be more dangerous than Off Waves, which there is a set time to dodge... you hear a pulse in the back ground after a wierd "Rawr" thingy, then you dodge almost every half a second. I still remember beating him on Intense on the SSE with just Sonic... Sonic's AWESOME! And it was actually my first time playing v Tabuu too (I did watch a movie when a friend warned me I'd have to fight the Offwaves. I got the timing from the movie.)

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I first beat this on Intense with Charizard, however I can now semi-consistently beat it with the Ice Climbers (my main). Their U-air and D-smash attacks are simply amazing.

The major hurdle for me when going up the difficulty was learning the bosses' attack patterns - this was the main reason I took so long to beat Very Hard mode, and by the time I got to Intense, it didn't take me as long as before to beat it (it still took a while though). Past that, Tabuu's Off Waves are really the only thing that has a decent chance of messing me up - I might get nicked by a minor boss' attack every once in a while, setting up a string that kills me sooner of later, but even spotdodging Off Waves has become easy for me.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Like just about everything else you practice on, after a while Boss Battles becomes nothing more than a joke. Intense? Bah. After I swept that thing I was craving for a higher level of difficulty... Boss Battles on Intense makes for a great warm-up.
Defeated it with all the characters... though I can't say whether I defeated it as Sheik, Zelda, and PT as stand-alones. Can't remember.

Best way: Play your way up with ALL the characters. Yes, that means wasting a lot of your lifetime sweeping Easy, then Normal, then Hard, then Very Hard, clearing with every character... That way, before you know it, those bosses will be cake.

The Ownifier928

Smash Rookie
Yea but Fox is cheap. I really want this red badge of courage for Snake alone, I just need to conceive a strategy to minimize damage when fighting Porkey and Duon.

Does anyone know if you can DI out of Porkey's rapid thrust attack? I've tried every direction possible but it seems like the attack has a vacuum effect and KO's at unexpected levels.
Wow. I've always loved it when he did the thrust attack. I simply do a dodge attack tho the other side and bash him to my hearts content. i've gotten rid of as much as two thirds of his health by doing that, and this is on intense!. also for those who have trouble with galleom, just go right up to him and bash him. I know that sounds suicide, but you just need to dodge his attacks and all of a sudden, he's one of the easiest bosses

BTW anyone have tips for tabuu? (I use Yoshi)

Avion

Smash Apprentice
I main Falco/Lucario, but use Fox for this. Learn their attacks, and make good use of spot dodges and rolls. Laser spam, fair, dair, shine, and uair until each boss dies. Seriously. That's all I did and I can do it no problem now:laugh:

UncleSam

Smash Master
Spot-dodge/roll.

Personally, I used my hammer for that challenge but DK works well on ground based bosses.
I was reading through the thread when I saw this, I thought you could not use hammers on boss battle challenges? I tried using a hammer on "beat boss battles with every char." at my friends house (who was to lazy to do it himself) and it didn't work

Ange

Smash Lord
I was reading through the thread when I saw this, I thought you could not use hammers on boss battle challenges? I tried using a hammer on "beat boss battles with every char." at my friends house (who was to lazy to do it himself) and it didn't work
Thats because it only works in the PAL (European/Australian) version of Brawl.

The NTSC (North American) version have a few windows that cannot be destroyed (such as challenges thats hard to achieve), while in the PAL version you can break any window without trouble.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
What other challenges can't be hammered again? Btw, if you k now what you are doing, you'll realise that Tabuu's Offwaves are the least dangerous thing in his game, since the rest of his attacks are borderline instant kills, and aren't nearly as readable. In my oppinion, it seems that the Whip of Light and the Golden Cage are the most dangerous things in his arsenal, being that they move so fast and can only be dodged, not blocked and then rolled away.

n88

Smash Lord
I haven't gotten up to trying it on Intense yet. I'm still stuck on hard. Any strategy suggestions? (I main Zelda/Sheik and Link)

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I personally think you should be giving it your best with Shiek, but don't try to straight up kill the bosses. Play with Shiek until you can learn every single pattern in the bosses attacks. Living and being able to dodge everything and outlast the bosses is much more important than trying to outright destroy them. Once you can dodge anything and win with Shiek, then move to Link. I think doing it with Shiek also counts as doing it with Zelda. Also, avoid moves that make you lag (Zelda's kicks do lots of damage, but they freeze her in the air).

Nirage

Smash Rookie
I usually get to Galleom, Duon, or Porky at the 7th stage before dying as Dedede, and the times I die to Porky are when his lazer sends me straight upward, what causes that?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
it's so intence that not even on 2 player mode can I beat it! iit's actually manlier than Captain falcon himself!

Ange

Smash Lord
...I think doing it with Shiek also counts as doing it with Zelda. Also, avoid moves that make you lag (Zelda's kicks do lots of damage, but they freeze her in the air).
True in bold. I wouldnt, however, recommend Zelda for another reason. Her jumps (and her Up+B) is rather poor against Duon if you cant time an air dodge as he does his 'Charge-across-stage' attack. Shiek is overally the better choice.

I usually get to Galleom, Duon, or Porky at the 7th stage before dying as Dedede, and the times I die to Porky are when his lazer sends me straight upward, what causes that?
Which laser are you talking about? The one when he is hovering or the one when he is standing?

If it is the first one, it does that either if youre on the ground or in the air. A strategy I use when he does the hovering laser is to roll towards him, and then immediately roll back to where you started.
That is, if he hovers slowly to the right direction, roll under him to the left direction, then back to the right. It causes him to charge to the left, but when he turns to the right afterwards, he wont move as fast, he fires his lazer, and youre safe.

The second one causes high knockback if youre on the ground, so airdodge this. When his 'head' is starting to shine orange, double jump -> airdodge -> do another jump -> airdodge again (asuming youre Dedede). Point is, always try to make the laser come UNDER you and UP, since, IMO, this is much easier to airdodge. Youll notice if you wont succeed on this, as his laser will point VERY low, making airdodge harder (and shielding is never a good option).

Heh, I always write walls of text when it comes to Boss Battles, bare with me. :laugh:

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I don't find Zelda's jumps as bad, but rather how laggy all of her attacks are. Basic movement is up to the player, but the laggier an attack is, unless it's a near instant kill move (like Charizard's Rock Smash), then it should not be recommended unless the boss is at a point where you'd have enough time to use it or not.

When Pokey first gets in the air, you have around 3 seconds to prepare and do a dodge. It's around that time. The strategy for rolling back in forth is a good one. I remember when I used to try to run, and found out that he kept up with me the entire time. Hehe. The people with uber reflexes will see his body move just as the lazer is about to be blasted into the ground, and they'll be able to pull of a last frame dodge.

As for the ground strategy, Ange, you got it right perfectly. I couldn't figure out how to explain it, which is the only reason I waited so long. But you nailed it just right. The lazer has to come move to you and change dirrections. And it's better if you're already able to dodge, which is why it is recommended that you be waiting for it in mid air, instead of jumping from the ground a little after it's released.

And yeah, people should do these battles on lower difficulties until they know how to dodge everything a boss does. The more you get dependent on Shielding attacks, the sooner you'll find yourself being killed while your character stands there stoned.

Edit:I think I may have mentioned this in one of my other posts, but when doing Boss Battles on Intense, try to start the game off with Duon, Meta-Ridley, or Rayquaza as your enemy. The 3 of them seem to have the most hp, and fighting them near the end will take a lot out of you. If you can kill atleast one of them (Duon is recommended as your first enemy), your chances of winning skyrocket. I remember once I was lucky enough to face both hands and Petey-Piranha as the last 3 before Tabuu. It was sweet.

Yio

Smash Rookie
Like just about everything else you practice on, after a while Boss Battles becomes nothing more than a joke. Intense? Bah. After I swept that thing I was craving for a higher level of difficulty... Boss Battles on Intense makes for a great warm-up.
Defeated it with all the characters... though I can't say whether I defeated it as Sheik, Zelda, and PT as stand-alones. Can't remember.

Best way: Play your way up with ALL the characters. Yes, that means wasting a lot of your lifetime sweeping Easy, then Normal, then Hard, then Very Hard, clearing with every character... That way, before you know it, those bosses will be cake.
I'm doing that, and defeated intense with Charizard, Fox, Marth, Cpt. Falcon, Wolf, Toon Link and Zelda. It's a hell lot of work, but really fun. I remember the first time I won on intense, and I went crazy. Now, it's like 'next', and you move onto the next char.
And for the people that are still working on intense: I preferred fastfalling chars, and Fox and Wolf's reflector are great if you're having trouble with Meta Ridley and Duon, and if you can't beat Rayquaza, it should be easier with Marth, if you know when to counter. (It's also a great feeling countering almost every attack while smashing Rayquaza yourself too)
And for Porky, use Toon Link, Dair on his head, repeat, and he's dead. (exept when he's doing his ground laser)
And I don't have to tallk about Charizard, right?
(I don't know if all this has already been said, but I didn't want to check 50 pages:) )

And for n88_2004: I did it with Zelda, doing a lot of kicks. She can also reflect, so that's really great for fighting Meta Ridley and Duon. Which bosses are you having problems with? I haven't played with Sheik, so I can't say anything about that...

Ange

Smash Lord
I don't find Zelda's jumps as bad, but rather how laggy all of her attacks are. Basic movement is up to the player, but the laggier an attack is, unless it's a near instant kill move (like Charizard's Rock Smash), then it should not be recommended unless the boss is at a point where you'd have enough time to use it or not.
I usually just feel more safe with a character that can jump over Duon when he charges. Tho I can execute an airdodge, it just feels better, heh. :laugh:
Also, that is why you should not follow advice saying "Use Rock Smash all the time!". It WONT help you. Using it constantly will just leave you open for unneccessary damage which you would have dodged otherwise. Attacks like this should be used as the last hit or something alike. Falcon Pawnch is another good example.

As for the ground strategy, Ange, you got it right perfectly. I couldn't figure out how to explain it, which is the only reason I waited so long. But you nailed it just right. The lazer has to come move to you and change dirrections. And it's better if you're already able to dodge, which is why it is recommended that you be waiting for it in mid air, instead of jumping from the ground a little after it's released.
I say floatier characters better stay in the air, some characters should double jump -> airdodge -> fastfall to ground -> jump -> airdodge. The double jumping is there so you will be falling towards the upcoming laser, and by double jumping I mainy mean you jump and almost immediately cancel it with a middle jump (This doesnt apply for ALL characters. People like Zelda or Ike should use their full ground jumps). This is however not recommended for Yoshi, Ness and Lucas, since they should more or less ground jump both times. (Or maybe double jump and airdodge twice? What works best? Heh, it was a long time ago I did BBI with Yoshi/Ness/Lucas).

I apologize if my advices are rather off, I dont use all characters regulary for Boss Battles Intense, only a few. :/ (I have beaten it with all expect 2 tho, but that was a long time ago)..

And yeah, people should do these battles on lower difficulties until they know how to dodge everything a boss does. The more you get dependent on Shielding attacks, the sooner you'll find yourself being killed while your character stands there stoned.
Its funny is you suddenly try Easy when you always go on Intense. I actually get more damage on Easy because Im so used to their supersonic speed on Intense. :laugh: However, its fun to do SPEEDRUNS on Easy. Intense isnt actually about speedrunning, more 'take-as-little-damage-as-possible'.

Splice

Smash Hero
Aha I havn't done Boss Battles on Intense yet, it's so hard!
I'm not even sure if I've done the one below intense:(
You have done it on Very Hard. Im sure. And if you haven't, you did it on mine when we went Co-op double meta-Knight, remember? WE really should do Intense sometime. Then i can say i got every trophy without NEEDING to use the hammers:chuckle:

Afropony

Smash Lord
If we ever do it on co-op then we're doing it at my house lol.

But anyway.. I usually use MK and then jump around while using Nair over and over again. It does lots of damage quickly but I think if you're not used to the bosses it's likely you're going to get hit often.

Top Bottom