• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boost Walking

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
looks great!

can you BWC out of a run? like, say you're running at the opponent (who's expecting you to dash attack or something, maybe charging a smash) when all of a sudden you BWC the opposite direction, they release their smash and then you close in and punish their lag?

(that's what i thought u meant when u said wavedash, because i thought wavedashing was all about spacing, not necessarily approaching)

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
alphazealot and zen have always done this.
Good, copy em.
looks great!

can you BWC out of a run? like, say you're running at the opponent (who's expecting you to dash attack or something, maybe charging a smash) when all of a sudden you BWC the opposite direction, they release their smash and then you close in and punish their lag?

(that's what i thought u meant when u said wavedash, because i thought wavedashing was all about spacing, not necessarily approaching)
No, but with some characters you shouldn't be dashing in the first place (Marth, Fox, Sheik, Wold, Falco ect.).
i knew i was right :(
About what Sasuke (DACS reference).

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
There is no way this could cancel a shield animation, does it? Because if it does, you could run, shield cancel boost. That would be swell.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
So you admit this is doop walking, right?
You can get just as much distance with doing it the manual way, pivot walking, as this.

saviorslegacy

There is no way this could cancel a shield animation, does it? Because if it does, you could run, shield cancel boost. That would be swell.
Hmmmm... maybe a shield dash into this would be possible.
That would give the character with an average boost an option they could use a lot (besides like normal up close spacing).

I'll test later.
So you admit this is doop walking, right?
You can get just as much distance with doing it the manual way, pivot walking, as this.
If you get the same amount of distance then all I have done is bring an old tech back to interest (hopefully) and started working on things you can do with it.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Yup, you have. Regardless, many just looked over this and left it behind, but they should not have. Although I can do it well manually, I am yet to incorporate it much. I have made one video of it for tink, as it let's us Zair>Bair.

saviorslegacy

Yup, you have. Regardless, many just looked over this and left it behind, but they should not have. Although I can do it well manually, I am yet to incorporate it much. I have made one video of it for tink, as it let's us Zair>Bair.
Wait.. how does that work?
Are you BWC into Bair?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Since this is called Boost Walking I'm assuming you can't trip out of it? If this is the case than that alone would make this technique absolutely legit.

:059:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Now the question is does facing the opposite way of your opponent slow down attacks as you turn around to hit them? Like for example if you just shielded a DK fsmash and you boost walking OS to punish if you were facing away once you enter range would doing say an ftilt or even a smash attack be slower or the same speed then if you were facing them like you would be normally?

Frame data would be nice to have in your reply.

There's also the question of acceleration, do you start at full speed the entire time or do you have to do a couple spins?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
There is 1 pivot frame
And if done right, as seen in the vid, you get complete acceleration when you start, however, turning and starting I have a bit of trouble with.

Gea

Smash Master
Yes, basically you'd lose one frame advantage from having to turn around. That isn't bad at all.

True pivots out of a dash are for men.

saviorslegacy

There's also the question of acceleration, do you start at full speed the entire time or do you have to do a couple spins?
You can do a full speed spin after you walk for like half a second.
You can do it from a standing position but it will be about half as large. Then again... it barely take any time for your character to take one step....
Yes, basically you'd lose one frame advantage from having to turn around. That isn't bad at all.

True pivots out of a dash are for men.
I agree... 1 frame= what.. 1/20 of a second
We have people RARing with that 1 frame disadvantage.

hmmm... you just gave me an idea.
observe- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvFYmWUcpJs&feature=PlayList&p=A9221058BB2FE30C&index=1

You can do fox trots with characters that have a small BW to close in the gap. You can perform a small pivot out of a fox trot and then perform BW. That would beef up the spacing game for almost every character.

I am meeting Nicalobe at 3:00 today. We are gonna test the **** out of this for about 2+ hours.
Maybe even get a match of us using it (he mains Yoshi and I main Sheik so both characters have a pretty good Boost Walk).

:EDIT:
Ever went to someone's place to test and it turned out to be a "who can kick the other one's *** the most" thing?

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Someone just answer my question quickly. This is pivot walking? no improvement , just the same thing?

saviorslegacy

Someone just answer my question quickly. This is pivot walking? no improvement , just the same thing?
This is and isn't.
Watch the video, and read the thread.

I explained that this is turning around without actually turning around.
In Brawl you get a gain of momentum by pivoting. Now the problem in the past was that to do a turn around you had to push the analog in that direction and thus lose some of your momentum.

By hold A and using the c-stick to turn around you hold your current forward momentum + get some more by pivoting.

So yeah, this is pivot walking but the better and easier version.

Gea

Smash Master
Why is it called small pivot? Isn't that just a normal pivot a la melee/64?

I do "small pivots' (or true pivots, whatever) for grabs and retreating spaced fsmashes. Best two uses imo, especially if you have a character whose dash animation isn't the best for getting in quick pivotgrabs.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Messing around with this, I actually do like it for Marth and Sheik, though I don't really have any idea how to play Marth other than DTILT FSMASH FAIR SIDE+B

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
This is and isn't.
Watch the video, and read the thread.

I explained that this is turning around without actually turning around.
In Brawl you get a gain of momentum by pivoting. Now the problem in the past was that to do a turn around you had to push the analog in that direction and thus lose some of your momentum.

By hold A and using the c-stick to turn around you hold your current forward momentum + get some more by pivoting.

So yeah, this is pivot walking but the better and easier version.
But that exact method was in the original thread. Maybe not in the video, but it's listed as a method.

saviorslegacy

Why is it called small pivot? Isn't that just a normal pivot a la melee/64?

I do "small pivots' (or true pivots, whatever) for grabs and retreating spaced fsmashes. Best two uses imo, especially if you have a character whose dash animation isn't the best for getting in quick pivotgrabs.
Yep, same thing.
Messing around with this, I actually do like it for Marth and Sheik, though I don't really have any idea how to play Marth other than DTILT FSMASH FAIR SIDE+B
Pit's is pretty good to ya know.
Are you guys sure it's only like 1 frame because back in melee turning around was a bit slower then that....
Ummm.. in Melee you couldn't instantly turn around and Bair.
In Brawl you can.
But that exact method was in the original thread. Maybe not in the video, but it's listed as a method.
I said that cuz I wasn't sure if he was talking about the one in the other thread or just a NORMAL pivot.
This is the same thing, but timing the pivot right. This is foolish.
Not foolish, just underrated (*proof*).

saviorslegacy

Yeah, maybe, but why approach when Pew Pew Pew?
Y'all aren't getting the full picture.
You look at this and go "oh, so it's a useless way of spacing like a top" and over look all of what this momentum can do for you.
This looks so useless that it hurts my brain.
Why are all of the Melee people saying that? -_-
It doesn't have to involve jumping and air dodging into the ground to be useful.
^
About the same amount

You guys know you can do this in melee?
It's less extreme though.
hmmm.. didn't know that.
It increases your slide, but not your boost.
In.. Melee?
I'm semi lost.
It's the same thing....
as what?

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Why don't more people use this? boost walking seem like it could help your spacing game so much, and you can do almost any attack out of it. With that said, I'm going to go practice this stuff.

EDIT:

I tested this out with Bowser and Pit, and I see a ton of use for this;

Pit- you can do a wing dash, hold the A after the cancel, and boost walk to approach/retreat. You can hold the A while you fire an arrow, and immediately afterwards boost walk away. Combining this with wing dash gives Pit some sicknasty spacing tools, if Pit mains bothered to learn this. Pit has a great slide from this too.

Bowser- The main usage I can see for boostwalking w/ bowser is that it allows you to approach and then you can shield cancel the boostwalk, and you can do standing grabs from it (bowsers dash grab is much longer and punishable) you can reverse your shield from this so if you want to you can do a boostwalk retreat, lure them to chase, and then pivot, shield, and grab OOS for some fun grab release games. Also because you can now perfect shield and approach much easier, and this allows you to get up in their faces with your shield, and you can punish them with your amazing OOS game.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Why don't more people use this? small pivot and boost walking seem like they could help your spacing game so much, and you can do almost any attack out of them. With that said, I'm going to go practice this stuff.
They don't because they have the wavedash, which can be preformed out of run, thus more useful to them.
Running in brawl is like swimming in hop scotch.

BUDAMAN

Smash Rookie
has anyone noticed that if u hold forward far enough as to where u could b running and u press backward down on the c-stick u begin to run? otherwise u just duck, but also if u accidentally start running just press down on the c-stick u slide to a stop where u can continue boost walking normally...
for those just learning the technique this could help get ya back to just walking, and maybe the running thing might add to this AT somehow?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
has anyone noticed that if u hold forward far enough as to where u could b running and u press backward down on the c-stick u begin to run? otherwise u just duck, but also if u accidentally start running just press down on the c-stick u slide to a stop where u can continue boost walking normally...
for those just learning the technique this could help get ya back to just walking, and maybe the running thing might add to this AT somehow?
That might be what this needs to cancel out of a dash? If I'm understanding correctly.

saviorslegacy

Why don't more people use this? boost walking seem like it could help your spacing game so much, and you can do almost any attack out of it. With that said, I'm going to go practice this stuff.

EDIT:

I tested this out with Bowser and Pit, and I see a ton of use for this;

Pit- you can do a wing dash, hold the A after the cancel, and boost walk to approach/retreat. You can hold the A while you fire an arrow, and immediately afterwards boost walk away. Combining this with wing dash gives Pit some sicknasty spacing tools, if Pit mains bothered to learn this. Pit has a great slide from this too.

Bowser- The main usage I can see for boostwalking w/ bowser is that it allows you to approach and then you can shield cancel the boostwalk, and you can do standing grabs from it (bowsers dash grab is much longer and punishable) you can reverse your shield from this so if you want to you can do a boostwalk retreat, lure them to chase, and then pivot, shield, and grab OOS for some fun grab release games. Also because you can now perfect shield and approach much easier, and this allows you to get up in their faces with your shield, and you can punish them with your amazing OOS game.
Cuz people are still in love with the last spacing tool.

I like the Pit idea's.

I don't know much about Bowser to have an opinion. I do know that his is pretty crappy....
Yeah, makes me mad when I dash....

Hmmm, I'll have to test this.
That might be what this needs to cancel out of a dash? If I'm understanding correctly.
:EDIT:
It is confirmed.
This allows you to perform BW out of a dash.

BUDAMAN

Smash Rookie
yes it can be done out of dash, while ur running and holding the attack button just press down on the c-stick and u begin to walk where u can like BW backwards or something like that

Top Bottom