• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boost Walking

fullynick

Smash Apprentice
the problem with BW is that you can't do it on reaction to punish things, because you have to buffer a roll or an attack or something beforehand to press A. And yeah this was hugely hyped in the first thread but came to being nothing special

Edit: wow if you can do this from a run i take any criticism back

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
the problem with BW is that you can't do it on reaction to punish things, because you have to buffer a roll or an attack or something beforehand to press A. And yeah this was hugely hyped in the first thread but came to being nothing special

Edit: wow if you can do this from a run i take any criticism back
That is why to prepare for it. My Boost Walk training goes like this:

#1 Learn to Boost Walk with my eye's closed while recording the match (recording it so I know that I was able to do it).
You learn to do it with eye's closed so that you know it is muscle memory.

#2 Learn the apllications with my eye's closed.
Same thing

#3 Learn to hold attack after each attack (I have L set to attack). This way I habe a Boost Walk when I need it since I am constantly holding R.
Also learn the release so you can attack.

#4 Fight a bunch of CPU's while Boost Walking to learn how to counter by using Boost Walk.

#5 Use it in a real match against a human.

You can do it out of a run but it is character dependant on how useful it is.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I dont see how this is useful at all, maybe if your character has a good bair approach and then make your char turn around real quick to the bair

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Some characters, such as Marth, move faster than their walk.
There is no tripping.
You can cancel a dash into this.
You can instantly space, especially with marth.
Dan Deacon.

saviorslegacy

Some characters, such as Marth, move faster than their walk.
There is no tripping.
You can cancel a dash into this.
You can instantly space, especially with marth.
Dan Deacon.
Woah, creepy new avy...

Anyways... you can also do BW> into other things such as shield or sliding attacks.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
i don't understand why you need to hold jump only when you've changed controller configuration
Set the R button to attack and set the C-stick to attack. Hold the R button (you may need to jump first) and tap the c-stick in any direction. You should jump. Set the L button to jump and tap the c-stick in any direction. You shouldn't jump. Holding the L button cancels the jump from the c-stick, and leaves you with a c-stick that controls DI. Since the control stick has priority over the c-stick, the c-stick just changes your direction (on the ground) with out making you move in that direction. So basically, the c-stick has a new action, and it shall be called non-movement DI, lol, j/k.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
lol not to the topic but what is the name of the song in the vid?

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
Set the R button to attack and set the C-stick to attack. Hold the R button (you may need to jump first) and tap the c-stick in any direction. You should jump. Set the L button to jump and tap the c-stick in any direction. You shouldn't jump. Holding the L button cancels the jump from the c-stick, and leaves you with a c-stick that controls DI. Since the control stick has priority over the c-stick, the c-stick just changes your direction (on the ground) with out making you move in that direction. So basically, the c-stick has a new action, and it shall be called non-movement DI, lol, j/k.
the thing is i don't need to jump to boostwalk with my L button set to attack

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
With some characters you can match or exceed dash speeds while remaining in a walk/standing position. allowing you to use any standing attack while moving.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
it takes up two out of the three top buttons and the C-stick? What a ****ing hog. **** that

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I think for this to really catch on, you should compare the "boost walking" speed to the normal walking speeds to see how much faster it is, if at all. I recall a good video that compared speeds of characters. Its worth checking out if you can watch videos on NicoNico, http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2385709 . Do something like that, have a list of characters that benefit from it (list small benefit, good benefit, huge benefit, or something like that), and I feel this would appeal to more people.

saviorslegacy

lol not to the topic but what is the name of the song in the vid?
Paralyzer and Cryptonite
No johns.

Now go back and get ***** in Brawl's predicessor.:)
I lol'd
What's the point of this strategy? Plus, I'm used to my current button layout thankyouverymuch.
Then use the normal one.

Jeez, does everyone only read like half of the post? -_-
and we're always right
I lol'd
Mike Haze= just a player that last time I checked mainly taunted with this
it takes up two out of the three top buttons and the C-stick? What a ****ing hog. **** that
no, not really...
I think for this to really catch on, you should compare the "boost walking" speed to the normal walking speeds to see how much faster it is, if at all. I recall a good video that compared speeds of characters. Its worth checking out if you can watch videos on NicoNico, http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2385709 . Do something like that, have a list of characters that benefit from it (list small benefit, good benefit, huge benefit, or something like that), and I feel this would appeal to more people.
Good idea. I couldn't watch the video but I get what you mean.
from my testing it only takes one of the top three buttons.
yes
If you like the claw then you can play with default controls.

Prawn

Smash Master
I'm confused, why does this keep getting bumped?

It's already known and has been for a while,
it's pretty much useless,

oh did I mention its already known and its useless?

saviorslegacy

I'm confused, why does this keep getting bumped?

It's already known and has been for a while,
it's pretty much useless,

oh did I mention its already known and its useless?
Because people like you keep on posting in it giving their one sided opinion.

:EDIT:
I have premonition that this might be closed soon.
I ask that it doesn't since I do plan on taking SP's idea and if I find anything new I'll post it here.
Besides, no need to make a new thread in a week or so.

Prawn

Smash Master
Because people like you keep on posting in it giving their one sided opinion.

:EDIT:
I have premonition that this might be closed soon.
I ask that it doesn't since I do plan on taking SP's idea and if I find anything new I'll post it here.
Besides, no need to make a new thread in a week or so.
One-sided?

Tell me, what uses for this are there that weren't known before the making of this thread.

......?

saviorslegacy

i don't get what you mean there
To perform with default you need to simply hold A, hold analog to the left/right and hit the c-stick up to the right/left (reverse of the analog's direction).
The hand formation that you will have to perform this is called the Claw. Some people DACUS with this formation.

One-sided?

Tell me, what uses for this are there that weren't known before the making of this thread.

......?
One sided= only looking at one part of the puzzle w/o taking full attention to all of its aspects.
Most people who are one sided about a subject will call it either a god or a piece of garbage. Now that might be true in some case's, but not in this case.

Hmmm... maybe a few people who don't post their idea's new but it was far from common knowledge.
If you really want to know the answer to that question go around to a bunch of RNDM people's walls asking them.

But really, if all you are going to do is add a =1 to your post count and bump this topic please don't post here. All that does is make people mad and lead to a closing.
I personally want this thread to stay open so I can continue my research and add what I have found here. When I find something good I'll bump it. If not then I guess this topic stands here to pass information to people who don't know/help them perform it.

saviorslegacy

Still waiting.
You are a persistent one aren't you?
To my knowledge almost everything at the end of my video was not known.
The reason why is NO one had found Boost Walk canceling yet.
So everything dealing with the canceled aspects was unknown.

Happy now?

saviorslegacy

Well when someone makes a thread about something and I ask them a question I like to have it answered.
Good enough for me.

I just get tired of the constant flow of know it all smashers. -_-
Kinda has made me biased.

saviorslegacy

Is there a way such that I don't buffer an aerial/ground attack when I try to Boost walk besides changing my controller configuration?
Yep, you just have to hold A after you perform an attack.
This is what should be happening:

(scenario)
f-tilt (hold A)> (release A) Dash Attack (hold A)> B> (release A) jab (hold A)> (release A) Fair (hold A)> (release A) DACUS (hold A)

You just have to hold A after each attack and release before each attack. Now you can Boost Walk when ever you want.

It is still really smart to set L/R to attack since it make it easier and helps with DACUS.

saviorslegacy

Neat. so would this be useful for wolf?
Yes...

This helps every characters spacing game since at the very least this can allow them to back off from the foe followed by anything.

Wolf however, has a rather large boost so he can tak advantage of the AT's that this has. It also helps his ground spacing game.

saviorslegacy

Smash Boosting
When you are walking perform the following actions:
(default controls) Hold A> Walk/Boost Walk> hit left/right on the c-stick
What happens is you perform a FSmash. Thing is your momentum from your walk is transferred into your FSmash. YouSo think Hyphen Smash, but with the FSmash.
FINALLY SOMEONE POSTS SO I CAN BRING THIS TO ATTENTION!

@Mclena45
ty

Top Bottom