• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Biggest Grind Fest You've Ever Done in a Video Game

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
So what's the biggest grind fest you've ever had in a video game? And NO! I'm not talking about the clubbing kind of grind!

For me it's got to be Disgaea. I have never had to kill for so many hours just to reach level 9999 in my life (I didn't reach over level 9000, I quit at 4000!).

Second place is a tie between Knight and Trickster Online. In Knight all you did was kill monsters... over and over and over again. And if you died you lost about 800,000 exp. MY ****ING STARS THAT IS CRAZY!!! So I quit that game. But in Trickster.... My.... ****ing.... stars.... all you did was drill.... and then drill some more.... and more.... so I quit that game too.:bee:

Post your grinding experience pl0x. K thx. Bai.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I think the biggest grindfest I did was when I did the Negalmuur auto-leveling trick in FFXII. I set my gambits accordingly and left my PS2 on for like 8 hours while I slept. Then I switched out my party to the other 3 members I had and did it again. I was alseep/going to class so idk if that counts though. I went from level 37 or so to level 74 and covered the entire license grid.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Spending entirely too much time to beef pokemon up to take a crack at the elite four...but who didn't have that experience?

EDIT: actually, LoZ TP's Pit of Hell or whatever, probably
i felt so good after i finally managed to get past the room with 3 darknuts
and i feel so stupid now after seeing a video of somebody using the secret moves (which i never learned) to utterly **** them :<

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Beating horde mode in Gears of War 2. (Waves 1-50 and it took me like 4 and 1/2 hours)

Beating the "pits of trial" in Paper Mario TTYD. (1-100 and it took me 5 hours)

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
So many times i've done grinding that I can't remember which one was the longest. Taking FF1 would be a good example tho :)

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Definitely in FF7 when I wanted to get the full set of master materias for every character.

Mastering Knights of the Round and X2 cut 6 times was painful.

Hours and hours of looking for movers in the northern crater with triple AP weapons :(

I had the game finished within 16 hours, my materia quest ended around the 130 mark.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
FFIII for the DS wasn't really that hard to me, but it was made difficult by having a really weird (and imo poor) save system. Still a good game though.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Pokemon Platinum when I did a solo run with a Horsea and I was stuck at Gardenia's gym with no hope of getting past her because her freaking Cherubi would keep on killing me ;_;

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
^ lol Kingdom Hearts 2, I freaking sat myself for a few hours maximizing his Growth Abilities...

... and then I redid everything on KH2:FM+
<.<

Smash Lord
This isn't strictly related to RPG's is it.

If it isn't, a speedrun through Hell in Cave Story. I made 3'33.6. I put at least 30 hours into it. Every now and then I try to beat my record still.

It's hard stuff. I have to make use of invicibility frames, split second precision and really small timing windows.

This isn't me but this is what I'm doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwkquZV-nkY

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
Oh lawdy. Disgaea is probably the biggest grindfest I have ever laid eyes upon. I recently bought Disgaea 3 and am now in the process of leveling up everybody. I quit for now, though. Sitting down for hours doing the same thing over and over again kills me. :/

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Yup, Disgaea is definately up there for me.

Other games include FFXII (never got around to beating it...), Kingdom Hearts, and TWEWY (though that's mostly because I got really addicted to the battle system of it.)

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Disgaea for me as well. I never cared much about raising my characters levels, but I wanted everything else: every class, every ultimate item, every secret character. I've easily poured over 400 hours into that game across the PS2, DS and PSP versions.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Two grinds here:

Monster Hunter Tri(a): Farming Scatterfish offline for Barrel Bomb+ for hours for Alatreon

(b): Farming Alatreon for 6 hours a night for Skypiercers. You had to get 3 competent people, bomb his horns, only for a 15%... ugh. I'm 3/33, my gf is 6/33...

Life

Smash Hero
Grinding levels in DQIX. You can level your character as each class, then revocate to reset your level to 1, and grind again up to 10 revocations. I never got remotely that far, but that's something like 9900 levels per character. And considering the spawn rate of metal slime variants...

pickle962

Smash Lord
Like others, I wasted hours trying to level up my team in Pokemon Diamond just to conquer the Pokemon League. Thank god I had a beastly Infernape I got from the GTS...Also, I grinded a little bit in Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story so I could take on the Gauntlet challenges...

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Oh lawdy. Disgaea is probably the biggest grindfest I have ever laid eyes upon. I recently bought Disgaea 3 and am now in the process of leveling up everybody. I quit for now, though. Sitting down for hours doing the same thing over and over again kills me. :/
If your talking about the post game then powering up 1 character is more productive then leveling a large group of chars. Disgaea 3's grinding is a lot more streamlined then 1 and 2

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
FFIII for the DS wasn't really that hard to me, but it was made difficult by having a really weird (and imo poor) save system. Still a good game though.
My main problem was the endgame, but yeah, the save system was annoying. >_<

I would have actually mentioned Disgaea, but it was a bit too obvious.

Octave

Smash Ace
Golden Sun 2, leveling my characters all the way to 99 (which I still haven't done, stopped around 55/56) and farming monster drops without RNG. 100+ hours farming those drops and I probably got 5 or 6 total (before I knew about RNG).

FFXII, farming skeletons in the mines for hours so I could have enough money to buy things. That was fun..

FFTA and FFTA2 getting every single quest done, then realizing in FFTA that I needed to trade a certain quest item from another game cartridge. 300+ hours spent before I realized that.

*sigh*

Nothing beats Maplestory imo.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.

Farming to get to level 99 or 100 or whatever the heck the maximum was. As long as you fight everything in the game, which for the most part you're forced to do, you should be level 55-60 by the end.
Queue fighting the final boss another 100+ times in a row -_-.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
Mother 3, leveling up to beat the Jealous Bass in Chapter 4. It is SUCH a jump in difficulty from the previous chapters. I had to get up at least 9-10 levels and I BARELY beat it. If no one has played Mother 3 you need to, it's a blast.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Golden Sun 2, leveling my characters all the way to 99 (which I still haven't done, stopped around 55/56) and farming monster drops without RNG. 100+ hours farming those drops and I probably got 5 or 6 total (before I knew about RNG).

FFXII, farming skeletons in the mines for hours so I could have enough money to buy things. That was fun..

FFTA and FFTA2 getting every single quest done, then realizing in FFTA that I needed to trade a certain quest item from another game cartridge. 300+ hours spent before I realized that.

*sigh*

Nothing beats Maplestory imo.
All Maplestory contains is grinding. Which is why it sucks.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Getting level 200 in PSO (Phantasy Star Online)

Oh wait... I'm only 167

Got a looooong ways to go

Shake~

Smash Journeyman
Tales of Vesperia Grade Farming. I had to leave it on overnight, and let the bots do the farming. At least I didn't have to do it really, but it still took a lot of time.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
Edit: Anyone here ever even played PSO? Online or off? any episode? (except 3)
Yes actually. Offline only, and Gamecube version. Grinding in that game takes forever and then some. (by the time you reach (I think) level 183, you'll only be half way done leveling exp. wise)

The highest level I ever got I recall being somewhere between 140-150.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Good man, good man :) offline only on gamecube myself, I recently rejuvenated my PSO spirit, perhaps you should do the same?

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I like to grind.

In Dark Cloud. I didn't fight Dran until I had gotten the Seventh Heaven. After that I made sure I had each characters best weapon before I left their area. In the end I had all the best weapons most of which were maxed out.

In Final Fantasy 3 for the DS, I maxed out every job level as soon as I finished a crystal. I eventually did have 4 characters at level 99 with max hp. Was thinking about beating Iron Giant with four scholars but I never got around to it.

In Dragon Quest 9, I got each characters jobs (except luminary and sage) to level 40 and maxed out their skill line before going to upover. I also did a ton of treasure maps after that.

In Monster hunter tri I spent a lot of time grinding but a large portion of that game is grinding anyway.

In PSO I got hacked online and lost my character so I had to start all over from scratch. I went from level 1-110 in no time though. However leveling up has slowed down so much. I hardly level up from a run through ruins anymore. I miss Towards the future.

Top Bottom