• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beyond the Chozo Guide: Seven Ways to Take Your Samus to the Next Level**

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
*ahem*

-No one lets me do anything. It's funner if you do every by force, anyway. norape

-It was on a Peach(**** good one, too) who was trying to run out the clock by camping near the top of the screen on FD. I was at 156%, so I was risking missing, leaving myself open for an F-air/U-smash/etc. I ended up catching him, getting him caught in the full attack, and getting a Star KO. He was at about 30-40%. Not only that, but I try this on other stages with low ceilings(Brinstar<3) and it works pretty well.

-If I can spike with Sonic's U-smash, then I can spike with her Screw Attack.

Really, try to use it more often and learn more about it before you mark it off as useless. Screw Attack has crazy priority, can cancel some unexpected attacks out, eats Shields alive on platform stages, and is usually unexpected itself. Now good day to you, madam.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
@ dryn
The sliding jab @ 1:06?

And i dont think you people understand how good BUFFERING the aerial upB is when youre being attacked with a multihit move. Marths do it all the time, and we have basically the same properties.

If i feel like it ill be the one to test out what moves it can be buffered out of.

@Ismar
Please stay on topic. We have a social thread for casual talk like that. Thanks.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE IDEAS HOW BUFFERING CAN BE USEFUL TO SAMUS?

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
give me time and I can add so much to this thread cuz when I used to play brawl I would open training mode and practice stupid shiet like this... Don't switch topics yet!!

Crystanium

Smash Hero
@ dryn
The sliding jab @ 1:06?
Not the sliding jab. I've never done that. I've done the jab to left, jab to right. That's really basic, but the sliding one, I have not done.

And i dont think you people understand how good BUFFERING the aerial upB is when youre being attacked with a multihit move. Marths do it all the time, and we have basically the same properties.
Captain Falcon is the worst character in the game, but when I brawled with people like Acel Supe and LightSide, when they used their multi-hit jabs on me, I used the Screw Attack to get out of it, pulling them in the Screw Attack with me. Is this what you mean?

Werk!

Smash Rookie
Up-B may have a lot of good properties, but that doesn't cancel out its weakness as a slow multi-hit that can be SDI out of. Characters with similar invul-frame on startup aerial moves can even hit us with their invul in the later frames of Screw Attack. <<;

tha_carter

Smash Ace
UpB can be buffered out of snake's Jab to Ftilt, Falco's jab to grab (most jab to grabs for that matter), and MKs Dash attack to Nair. All because they lift samus JUST off the ground, and if buffered, the UpB will come out just as samus is about to touch the ground.

THIS TOPIC HAS ALOT OF POTENTIAL, BUT NOT ENOUGH PARTICIPATION!
Ill wait 1-2 more days for other opinions (and n00b)... And then move on.

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THE NEXT TOPIC?

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Dammit I need to find time to write stuff. I would suggest movemnt as the next topic but that's just my bias because I lovebeing mobile.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
New topic is up, and first post updated.

Take a look and read up on this new topic. Once again; a tonne of potential here. Understanding these principles can REALLY help you on some of samus worse matchups. To prevent one grab = death. Or putting yourself in a position to be gimped.

Also, if theres anything you would like to add on previous topics... feel free to do so. Especially buffering, because i feel that wasnt cover as well as it could have been. (nobody touched on IASA frames, or SDI +UpB)

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
I know you can SDI downward after you get sucked into MKs whorenado, and afterward use your UpB. It doesnt do anything to MK, but at least you dont take damage either. I've done it before, and all the hits cancel eachother out. I seem to recall a recent video I watched where someone did that same thing...

Hey, I just looked at that article by HugS, good stuff. Ill briefly say some things about MK, but I dont want to cover too much considering that I KNOW I dont have near as much experience vs him as someone like Rohins, Xyro, or N00b, sorry if I left anyone out, please dont take offense. Anyway, good zoning against MK would be out of his dash attack range and below him if he is on a platform or in the air. Neutral zoning would be in front of him, but just out of reach from his ftilt and UpB, and on the ledge. Bad zoning would be above him and offstage with him.

pAce

Smash Cadet
Being above generally seems like a bad zone to be for Samus. It's probably obvious, but I sometimes still fight it when coming down after being knocked vertically. I think it's because I don't like retreating to the edge so much.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Samus' weakest zone imo is directly below her while in the air due to her lack of ability to produce fast / high priority hitboxes below her. Yes, her dair spikes and is awesome when it lands but it works more as a tool when you have control, not when you're trying to protect yourself / regain control.

A little theory I have regarding this weakness: you should not jump if your opponent is fast enough or close enough to close the gap before you can protect yourself. Initially, this distance was larger in my opinion until I used retreating fairs to protect against rushing opponents.

Samus' strongest zones are: large horizontal distance, being grounded vs an opponent on an adjacent platform, and opponent directly above Samus. These are not necessarily the best zones / situations in all matchups but in general they are favorable.

Large Horizontal Distance:
Pretty obvious, you can spam your projectiles to do damage. You won't be killing but you can frustrate your opponent which can lead to some poorly prepared approaches on their part.

Some characters to not go large horizontal vs: Falco, Fox (laser spam + reflectors)

Opponent on Platform:
Samus' multi-hit aerials work really nicely on platforms. If the opponent is shielding you can get some nice shield-stab action. Uptilt and up-angled ftilt hit through platforms too. Bair is very easy to sweet-spot against opponents on platforms. Pushing shielding opponents can cause them to tumble which can lead to jab-locks and other setups.

Some characters to not mess with on platforms: MK, Lucario. MK is just an *******. Lucario's dair goes through everything.

Opponent Above You:
Samus' uair and (grounded) upB are sweet. They both come out fast. Uair has some of the best priority Samus can put out (teehee), can lead to "combos", ends quick enough for you to be able to attempt a followup. UpB comes out very fast and if grounded is very difficult to SDI out of. Depending on how aggressive your opponent is, you can sometimes lure them into a second upB. They try to punish Samus' landing lag but typically are not fast enough to get there in time.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
What we should also note is best Zones to use against the stupid Match-ups. aka MK, Marth, Falco, and Olimar.

I'll add to the bad zones for Samus, First one I can think of is right out of your range for Jabbing.

Reasons this is a bad zone is there's not much you can do, SH Zair?? goes over and you get beamed by a smash, SH anything is begging for a boosted Up smash, running attack will get shield grabbed, Best move to do here is D tilt and then run away to a safe zone OR combo the hit into a large amount of damage.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Good stuff Rohins, i agree with most of it. Especially samus' generally weak zone.

Rhyme; wanna go a little further in-detph?

Cherry, you probably want to be a little bit more specfic about which characters that applies to. Because being just out of reach of samus' jab BUT within reach of samus' dtilt/ftilt is the perfect zone for alot of matchups that require boxing.

Anybody have any input on SPECIFICALLY Dedede? I found keeping myself out of certain zones helped ALOT....

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Good stuff Rohins, i agree with most of it. Especially samus' generally weak zone.

Cherry, you probably want to be a little bit more specfic about which characters that applies to. Because being just out of reach of samus' jab BUT within reach of samus' dtilt/ftilt is the perfect zone for alot of matchups that require boxing.

Anybody have any input on SPECIFICALLY Dedede? I found keeping myself out of certain zones helped ALOT....
Well, in my experience against King Dedede, you want to have a stage with platforms. If there are platforms, King Dedede will generally have a more difficult time grabbing you. Since it's Samus, that's usually the first thing that comes to mind when a King Dedede learns that he or she is going to be fighting a Samus main. When I fought Ch33s3, he used the Ice Climbers the first two matches. I beat him the second match, and he asked if I was still going to use Samus. I told him I was, and we ended up going to Pokémon Stadium 1, and he was King Dedede. So it's apparent that his intention was to infinite chain-grab me. I didn't let him, however, since I transformed to Zero Suit Samus shortly after.

When we were on Pokémon Stadium, I did well with my first stock against King Dedede. The construction site looking field with a tall rock tower on the left, which Xyro is famous for dropping down with u-air and grabbing the edge by using his Screw Attack was an effective method when I fought Ch33s3. I'd say that the best range to be in is mid-range when fighting King Dedede. If you get too far, he might start spamming Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos. If you get too close, he'll chain-grab you. Try to find the best range by checking the distance his Inhale covers, as well as the range his f-tilt has. That should be your best option. It will have to be observed by the eye during a match, but if you familiarize yourself with this, it should help.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
The construction site looking field with a tall rock tower on the left, which Xyro is famous for dropping down with u-air and grabbing the edge by using his Screw Attack was an effective method when I fought Ch33s3.
I have been doing that since the melee days. This tech works on cornerias fin as well.

There are a FEW characters that CAN stop it.

DDD, GW, toon link, link. All of thier dairs can stop it and all of thier u-airs cans top it. DDDs up tilt is scary good when dealin with that tech.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I have been doing that since the melee days. This tech works on cornerias fin as well.

There are a FEW characters that CAN stop it.

DDD, GW, toon link, link. All of thier dairs can stop it and all of thier u-airs cans top it. DDDs up tilt is scary good when dealin with that tech.
I know you've been using it since the Melee days, bro. I've seen a video of you doing that on Corneria in Melee. That's why I said you're famous for doing that. Haha! I guess Ch33s3 was ignorant of using u-tilt. Samus tends to move quick when she's doing u-air to Screw Attack multiple times.

Xyro77

I know you've been using it since the Melee days, bro. I've seen a video of you doing that on Corneria in Melee. That's why I said you're famous for doing that. Haha! I guess Ch33s3 was ignorant of using u-tilt. Samus tends to move quick when she's doing u-air to Screw Attack multiple times.
the reason why i brought it up was that its SUPER effective on EVERY body but those chars. its one of the resons why i love pkmn 1 so much. Some players know samus is capable of doing that and they stay aways....which is fine cause now you can save upa fully charge shot and sit back and calm down. You can also zair through the mountain for extra damage.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
What we should also note is best Zones to use against the stupid Match-ups. aka MK, Marth, Falco, and Olimar.

I'll add to the bad zones for Samus, First one I can think of is right out of your range for Jabbing.
Zones vs Olimar is tricky business. They constantly change depending on the circumstances at that given time. For example, on a platform above Olimar is a terrible place to be. Drop through [insertaerialhere] will not stop Olimar's Uair or Usmash, and airdodge will give you too much lag to counterattack him. However, if Olimar is just landing from an aerial, or just finishing some other action, Samus would be relatively safe here. Samus can use her "bad" zoning to lure Olimar into leaving the ground. A well-placed shield will quickly turn the tables on an airborn Olimar. Even if he Usmashes, you diminished the Usmash and get a risk-free retreat. If you slid off the platform then even better, you can fast-fall into him with an aerial and score some damage. Just one example. Olimar has many variable zones specific to the Samus matchup.

I don't think that's a bad zone for Samus in most matchups. Samus would still have both missiles, charge shot, Dtilt/Ftilt (as pointed out by carter) and retreating aerials. There are cases where this is exactly where I'd want to be.

Reading the linked article helps (as in, the relationship will be more clear if you've already read it).

I noticed this when fighting against Marth. If I tried to move into one of Marth's hot zones with, say, ground-canceled Uair or running attack, I would get counter-attacked. Also, if I ever tried to mix-up with an airdodge through him or a grab (respectively) instead, I'd get punished almost every time. I decided that the reason is because I moved into his influenced squares, so to speak.

The option that I used was a moot point. I was getting attacked because my action was placing me inside his influenced squares. So if I intersected him with any aerial, I would be punished. If I spot-dodged, I would be punished. When trying to get back to the ground, I would airdodge passed the attack Marth executed. But that airdodge would land me within his sword range and I would subsequently be punished. Etc. I needed to find a safer option.

However, if Marth is currently using one of his options, he is only doing so by introducing at least one square of non-influence, so to speak. A Fair from Marth means that I can hit him with a SHed aerial. OverB means that I get a free rising grapple (if it was on my shield) or ground-canceled grapple (if he punished incorrectly). I was no longer "allowed" to land or edge-hop to the stage if it meant that I would be entering his little bubble of affected space.

I found all of this to be very similar to attacks of opportunity. And with Samus' many medium-ranged options, she has the tools to create windows for her attacks (unlike Kirby, for example, who must rely on his small stature and spacing to find them). Now, I focus on keeping my options open and watching how Marth uses his more carefully. It's a much safer and more effective way of playing the matchup.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Lengthy description... in other words, to properly zone with Samus, you read and punish with the proper tools, mostly her mid-range attacks, correct? I guess that solves everything... now just knowing what windows can be opened against certain characters and their approaches is the issue. And then that would be discussed in the match-up thread. Oh joy...

tha_carter

Smash Ace
@ dryn, try using general statements about the matchup instead of specific matches that you had. Itd help alot more. But good stuff overall.

@Rhyme, GREAT stuff. Marth and Olimar were perfect characters to mention. And i did read the attached link, it helped.

@N-I, Care to help? Add something to the topic?

Itd be prefered if everyone (regardless if its matchup specific or generally speaking) distinctly list;
Bad Zone:
Neutral Zone:
Good Zone:

Itd really help towards organization. I myself am not picky; but ALOT of people are selective readers and that would help them out.

This topic isnt close to complete but just a reminder
SUGGESTIONS FOR FUTURE TOPICS WOULD BE HELPFUL!

Its mostly just been my ideas.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
@ dryn, try using general statements about the matchup instead of specific matches that you had. Itd help alot more. But good stuff overall.
Thanks. I apologize for not speaking generally. I only did that, because you asked specifically for King Dedede, and because no one character is the same, so it's different. You can't just go in the match and expect to zone the same way on each character. That's setting yourself up for failure. I'm really not too sure how I would speak generally.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
I forgot who referred to D&D when speaking about zoning (and too lazy to look back in the thread,) but I'd like to expand on that. I believe my analogy would be most related to that concept (again, not sure, never played D&D to be honest.)

Zoning with Samus is a matter of control, or rather her dominion. For example, take a chessboard out. The ultimate goal would be to threaten and trap the king. We can translate this to knocking the opponent off the stage. However, the secondary goal would be to take as many pieces of the opponent's as possible without losing your own to make the primary goal easier. We can translate this into Samus damaging the opponent without taking damage . And in order to do this, control must be established. And one of the early rules of chess is to control the center (ironically, this is a rule in Smash as well.)

Control can be established two ways: A) actual presence of the area or B) exercising sovereignty by having a pre-determined answer to anything that enters that dominion. Let's use BF as our chess board (arguably Samus's best stage and I will explain why soon.)

Samus can establish control with option A with her usage of z-air as a vanguard and push her way to the center. Or, the more popular option B, establish control with projectiles. You could view her usage of z-air and super missile as a rook, creating a threat horizontally. More importantly however, you can view her usage of her homing missile/z-air as a rook and bishop, creating a threat horizontally and diagonally. Again, looking at a chess board, this means if Samus were placed at B4/B5 on say BF, she establishes control over the entire 4/5 row and control over the upper diagonal.

Why is this important? Because through this analogy, it can be concluded that Samus’s best zones are in fact created through an opponent's diagonal approaches. When opponents attempt to go through her projectiles, they will either go straight through air dodging/shield dashing which then is up to the Samus player to be read and punish with the proper tools (grab/pivot grab/backwards shz-air/f-air or simply retreat with bomb)… or jump and approach diagonally. On stages such as SV and FD, this can somtimes be problem.

Why is it not a problem on BF? Because platforms get in the way, which later opens windows to u-air, u-tilt and f-air, that platform protection makes all the difference. Notice how all her combo starters intiate from N/NE/NW (depending on which way you're facing) and end either N to S. Meanwhile, most characters aerials d-airs never hit diagonally (SW/SE). Essentially, this is what it looks like:

(C1) (C2) (C3)
(S) (XX) (C4)

This is Samus's dominion. C4 can be controlled easily, but any projectiles beyond C4 can be dodged/shielded and just plain avoided. C3 can still be controlled via sh-homing and z-air. C1 can be controlled with screw attack. Finally, C2 can somewhat be controlled with all aerials and projectiles (minus d-air). Samus dominates even better in the C2 region when there's a platform protecting her.

It is the XX region where Samus is weakest. This is because of her natural weakness in short-range fighting as well as the natural strengths of her common opponents: D3's chain grab, MK's dashes and sh-aerials (where they're not quite high enough to be in the C2 region yet make the exception with a long diagonal hitbox to his d-air) and Falco's boxing game. Notice also how Marth will be trouble at times because Marth lies both within the C4 region and the XX region, his sword still being able to reach you even when your ground attacks cannot.

Also notice how when Samus players do not play on BF or platform stages in general, their lack of control over the C2 region furthermore allows opponents to access the XX region. And from there, your options become severely limited.

Now that we've analyze the proper zones for Samus (this can and should be applied against all characters,) spacing is the next issue. As Samus, you must essentially space yourself so your opponent stays either outside this box or within your dominion. NOT WITHIN (XX.)
Doing this will make or break your game.

That's as far as zoning goes. If you want to discuss what to do in region XX, a.k.a. Samus's options when in short range, that should be discussed separately. As for when Samus is above the opponent, the objective should be to land asap. The only exception would be if there were (oh how ironic) a platform. Then your options differ.

As we all know, zoning also pre-determines the efficiency of characters in certain stages. With the zones for Samus established earlier, the best neutrals would have to be BF and Lylat. Lylat, while not always having a straight horizontal terrain, nonetheless gives Samus exactly what she needs to zone properly. FD, while being straight and clear, gives too many opponents easy outs to her projectile game. SV is similar... and Yoshi's, while having a platform... also has a horrible horizontal terrain with a horrible tilting platform on top of that.

While I'm sure many of us play like this, I'm sure there are a number who do not actually realize that this is practically the strategy that dominates their gameplay style, albeit subconsciously. Therefore, I hope I've helped in illustrating that.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
you just used math to talk about samus? :\

made no sense to me buddy :(

Good zone: Below the Enemy
Bad Zone: Above the Enemy
Neutral Zone: Opposite ends of stage

I can elaborate but Carter just asked for those.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Zoning is math practically. So is logic. It's a cartesian grid; in some areas you exhibit dominance, in others not so much. In fact, the win:lose ratios are established through this: unconsciously, you weigh how much of the fight is spent close-long range and whether or not Samus has control during that range.

Mathematically speaking, if you actually put a ratio on every square of the grid as to whether Samus would win in that area (space), and then multiply it by the amount of time the fight is actually played in that area (time), you get the win:loss ratio (reality.) Of course, the math is not literally calculated, but in our minds, we consider this and thus establish our opinions of her win ratio a bit differently. Not to mention this explains why Samus sometimes wins against higher tiers who may know the match-up already: the stage allowed for the particular match to be played in her domain, or just the match in general was played in her domain.

You're right, it's all rather complicated. But so is Perelman on rhetoric and Nietzsche on government. If one can properly illustrate their thought process, it makes a lot other things more clearer. I think I might start a separate thread specifically on this actually.

On a side note, I hate my professor for making me think like this... stupid philosophy.

Xyro77

math is not needed.
this topic is not needed.

This zone stuff is garbage because power shielding is MEGA SUPER easy in this game, which allows 80% of our game(projectiles/zair) to be null and void. Then you have the HORRIBLE hitstun/shield stun system, which allows the foe to attack IMMEDIATELY after being hit or allows the foe to drop shield and hit you back IMMEDIATELY.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Knowing how to play and not get hit is needed. End of story.

Power shielding is mitigated by pre-emptive throwing (every fighting game has a throw or unblockable move for a reason.)

The hitstun/shield system is a kinda wacky. I like it. Makes me more cautious and yet reckless at the same time. End of story there too XD.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895

Power shielding is mitigated by pre-emptive throwing (every fighting game has a throw or unblockable move for a reason.)

The hitstun/shield system is a kinda wacky. I like it. Makes me more cautious and yet reckless at the same time. End of story there too XD.
Knowing Xyro it isn't end of story, and you prolly just initiated a flame from him.

and if there was a bit more hit stun samus wouldn't suck as badly. She'd be mid tier with Pit at least.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
@Rhyme...Marth and Olimar were perfect characters to mention. And i did read the attached link, it helped.

SUGGESTIONS
Marth was mentioned because he's the character who I was playing (Neo to be exact) while I brainstormed all this. Olimar was used because he's one of the ones who is affected most noticably by what I was talking about (that, and I understand the Olimar matchup fairly well).

I would like to, at some point, talk about how to land kill moves...Uair while opponent is airborn, setups that allow comboing into Dtilt, and hitting with Bair. I take great advantage of those three moves, but I still feel like they could be used more effectively for greater killing potential.

Would it be worth looking into setups for spiking the opponent? For example, MK dies from a fresh Dair at 60ish% when level with the stage (Battlefield). It'd make a matchup like MK/D3/Snake far more even if Samus could go into the match with some mindgamed setups prepared for use.

Also, I don't really see much hope for this topic without becoming matchup specific. There's plenty of directions it could go--projectile trapping, pushing opponents to a given area, fighting in bad zones, approaching (which by itself could be a useful topic for some matchups)--but, in the end, it wouldn't go far enough without a character in the other port. =/ At least in my opinion.

I forgot who referred to D&D when speaking about zoning (and too lazy to look back in the thread,) but I'd like to expand on that. I believe my analogy would be most related to that concept (again, not sure, never played D&D to be honest.)

Zoning with Samus is a matter of control, or rather her dominion. For example, take a chessboard out. The ultimate goal would be to threaten and trap the king. We can translate this to knocking the opponent off the stage. However, the secondary goal would be to take as many pieces of the opponent's as possible without losing your own to make the primary goal easier. We can translate this into Samus damaging the opponent without taking damage . And in order to do this, control must be established. And one of the early rules of chess is to control the center (ironically, this is a rule in Smash as well.)
I brought up DnD. Never played more than a dozen sessions, but enough that I understand the basic mechanics. I wish that I was enough of a chess buff to think in terms of your metaphore as it seems like it has some promise.

math is not needed.
this topic is not needed.
Ouch. You may not need Math, but it is one of the few fundamentals holding society together. Math is most certainly needed.

This topic? Probably not, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so it should stay.

and if there was a bit more hit stun samus wouldn't suck as badly.
Lol.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Wow, some impressive stuff is being mentioned. I think the people that think the topic is insignificant have NOT read some of these posts.

There will be a new topic tomorrow. Ill pick one if nobody else has a suggestion.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THE NEXT TOPIC?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
wouldn't be much to talk about IMO, but it may help us all out if we learned better baiting tricks, for lack of a better word

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Something notable to discuss... not using a sh-missile when the opponent is a dash-length away? Can't tell you how many videos where I see that.

To generalize that, how about a topic on what to do when an opponent gets inside Samus's personal space (not the shower you twits.) This may get match-up intensive, but hey, a lot of options are similar in respect and can be summarized here.

1) What to do against small characters who get down and dirty? (MK, Kirby, Diddy, Jiggly)
2) Should we actively engage when in close range with certain characters? (In particular, TL, Yoshi, ROB, Snake, etc.)

If you watch some of Ninjalink's vids, he uses Samus quite differently than a Samus main would (HE NEVER CAMPS... AT ALL) Let's take some of his ideas and analyze them.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Ill pick one if nobody else has a suggestion.
grabs / throws? (grabs setups, legit shield grabs, best use for each throw?)
I don't know how deep that topic could go, but there might be an interesting thing or two to be discussed. I would like to point out that anything which is a 'legit shield grab' would probably be avoided by your opponent once you do it to him/her once.

Also, I'd made some suggestions.
I would like to, at some point, talk about how to land kill moves...Utilt* (typo edited) while opponent is airborn, setups that allow comboing into Dtilt, and hitting with Bair. I take great advantage of those three moves, but I still feel like they could be used more effectively for greater killing potential.

Would it be worth looking into setups for spiking the opponent? For example, MK dies from a fresh Dair at 60ish% when level with the stage (Battlefield). It'd make a matchup like MK/D3/Snake far more even if Samus could go into the match with some mindgamed setups prepared for use.
Something notable to discuss... not using a sh-missile when the opponent is a dash-length away? Can't tell you how many videos where I see that.

To generalize that, how about a topic on what to do when an opponent gets inside Samus's personal space (not the shower you twits.) This may get match-up intensive, but hey, a lot of options are similar in respect and can be summarized here.

1) What to do against small characters who get down and dirty? (MK, Kirby, Diddy, Jiggly)
2) Should we actively engage when in close range with certain characters? (In particular, TL, Yoshi, ROB, Snake, etc.)

If you watch some of Ninjalink's vids, he uses Samus quite differently than a Samus main would (HE NEVER CAMPS... AT ALL) Let's take some of his ideas and analyze them.
I had said about four words towards the 'fighting in Samus' personal space', and I'd be up for discussing it if anyone else is. I'm not sure how reliable techniques would be considering that they vary from opponent to opponent, but approaching a match with possibilities already in mind could make a big difference.

That first numbered topic would be good for me. Sometimes it's hard to get small characters out of your business. Second one I would give the simple answer "yes" to, but it may warrant further discussion. I could go either way on it.

NL has a weird Samus. Personally, I'm not a fan of his style with the character, but whatever the majority would like to talk about is acceptable.

Xyro77

its called common sense, moron.

this has nothing to do with what i was saying, poop face.

well when you get SLIGHTLY decent in this game, we can talk. Untill then, please eat rat poison.

Top Bottom