• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Becoming Pro Isn't Fictional.

Cioran

Smash Cadet
Great thread! But...

99% of players aren't going to ever be able to classify themselves as pro. Can they get better? Absolutely! Will they win money playing Smash? Most likely not.

Smash natural selection is just as real as in the jungle. :)

Pick who you love to play as and have fun.

My .02,
C i O

D

Deleted member

I actually think yoshi doesnt have any unwinnable matchups, so technically he shud be able to win right? Unfortunately, most of his matchups are disadvantaged, meaning at a high level, you will have a tough time.

G&W is the only one where i think you have to be better than your opponent to win.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I seriously want to be a high level threat by 2010 or 2011. If I attend like 2-3 tourneys a month is this plausible.

I'm gonna start learning Smash the way you learn math by learning one character at a time til I have a **** ton of knowledge.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
^This

Anyone riding Techno's nuts has no idea what the hell they are talking about, get out of delusional land.

There's a reason why Gimpy didn't do much better than top 10 or so at tourneys with Bowser in Melee. Wanna guess why?
From BIO:

Sky`'s performance
Overall placing: 33/112

Techno's performance

Teams
9: Tudios Can't Ignore My Techno
17: Sky's Peach is Garbage

Lol. Point in fact, I've met Sky, eh's a cool dude and doesn't ride nuts usually, and has a really good Peach. So less riding everyone's nuts, including mine. More workdoing. Workdoing entails when your character reaches a wall that you think it can't pass (usually Meat Knight), you research a bunch and practice against good players and the wall disappears or changes. Its not all about the character, in fact, to elongate my post, you have to take responsibility for your scrubbiness, if you can't beat a top 5 guy with Meta Knight then its probably something you're doing or something in your head.

I guess I just feel like too many people are giving up on the game based on reason of "IMBA" or "I'm too scrubby to play spacing games and I'd rather play Melee" and I keep finding out new stuff to try out and it irritates me.

Sky`

Smash Lord
From BIO:

Sky`'s performance

Techno's performance

Teams
9: Tudios Can't Ignore My Techno
17: Sky's Peach is Garbage

Lol. Point in fact, I've met Sky, eh's a cool dude and doesn't ride nuts usually, and has a really good Peach. So less riding everyone's nuts, including mine. More workdoing. Workdoing entails when your character reaches a wall that you think it can't pass (usually Meat Knight), you research a bunch and practice against good players and the wall disappears or changes. Its not all about the character, in fact, to elongate my post, you have to take responsibility for your scrubbiness, if you can't beat a top 5 guy with Meta Knight then its probably something you're doing or something in your head.

I guess I just feel like too many people are giving up on the game based on reason of "IMBA" or "I'm too scrubby to play spacing games and I'd rather play Melee" and I keep finding out new stuff to try out and it irritates me.
I thought I placed 25th at BIO?

no matter, Bio was an embarrassing time for my peach. XD Iiiii've since grown.

And you'll see it at Bio Two.

DrGonzoPhD

Smash Rookie
I hope this will be something worth adding to this thread. This is from www.sirlin.net, the site of the champion Street Fighter player, Sirlin. This is an interesting quote from his section on "Discipline" as it relates to the Art of War by Sun Tzu, and also to competitive fighting games in general;
Matchups aside, however, you should always (almost always, anyway) pick the characters you’re most comfortable with. I didn’t start playing Chun Li because I thought she was #1 (she isn’t even close)—I picked her because I felt comfortable with her. Even if it may open you up to a slight mismatch, you want maximum execution, and playing with “your” character is the easiest way to make that happen. Don’t rely on someone else’s “rankings” to decide your teams for you. Just because the theorists on www.shoryuken.com have decided that “X beats Y” doesn’t mean you can’t win (note: this does not mean I think rankings are worthless—quite the contrary. It’s just pointing out that rankings assume evenly matched players, playing at full capacity, which is (obviously) not what you get in every tournament match. Duh.). Playing “your” character also vastly decreases your chance of being paralyzed when you’re put into unfamiliar situations—something that top players are good at doing to you. You don’t want to have to stop and think about which technique is going to get you out of this one; you want to know reflexively, automatically. The hesitation that anything else brings on will cost you.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
^ Ah, now that is a refreshing way of viewing the situation. It's not the anime effect, not blind optimism, or a "My character can take on the world and win" 80's montage. It's realistic, and I am a firm believer in playing "your" character. I still have subs to help with the matchups that I personally feel uncomfortable with, but when push comes to shove, it is "my" character that I will usually count on. Good find. :)

shlike

Smash Ace
^ Ah, now that is a refreshing way of viewing the situation. It's not the anime effect, not blind optimism, or a "My character can take on the world and win" 80's montage. It's realistic, and I am a firm believer in playing "your" character. I still have subs to help with the matchups that I personally feel uncomfortable with, but when push comes to shove, it is "my" character that I will usually count on. Good find. :)
I am thinking either Scarface's "Push it to the limit" or Karate Kid's
"You're the best" for the 80's montage

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
my gawd this is TOO GOODZ

all those metaphors are all so true dam i coudlnt beleive how genious fiction is

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Good read for the non confident. IMO It all comes down to:

Playing real people (thus learning mindgames).
Using as many moves as possible.
Learning to use grabs.
Staying Mobile.
Being able to defend yourself (powershielding, smart spotdodging).
Using OoS (or spotdodge) options

I don't think the character has a ton to do with it. Obviously you'll be better with some than others, but just because you get ***** with a character doesn't mean you have to pick them. I rather think you should learn from it. From seconding Snake, I grabbed a lot more, and when I started doing it with ROB I learned how to make it work.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
I think you can say how plausible it would be.
If you keep going to tournaments consistantly, you will be a high-level threat player by 2010/2011. I say this with certainty because only someone who's serious about getting better would plan that far ahead in the future.

Yes, you will become a "high level threat." It may be a slow process, but you will get better with time.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
If you keep going to tournaments consistantly, you will be a high-level threat player by 2010/2011. I say this with certainty because only someone who's serious about getting better would plan that far ahead in the future.
I aim high, what can I say, XP. I will stick with Brawl unless it dies which would be fine with me since I keep what little skill I have in Melee up to snuff.

goodkid

Smash Lord
I don't have a good handle on Olimar's or Lucario's preformance, but I believe Olimar has a lot of untapped potentional. His Hitbox:Hurtbox on Ground attacks IS the best in the game when you add in Pikmin. He has odd priority(All Pikmin will clank). He has THE best Grab in the game(PERIOD) and he has throws like Ness does(including a killer BThrow). He's not used that much as of now, so things are inconclusive.

Lucario is iffy, he has crazy priority(Best in the game IMO. He has MK hitboxes+normal ones. They're invisible, and they linger out there for a long time. He may not be able to win a national, but he still might be able to.

ROB's looking worse than he was before, so I'd be iffy to say if he can win a national or not. Probably not, but don't quote me on that.

My training schedule was pretty much that-I ended up flunking my first semester of college because of that(I only have this semester to turn my grade around. Sucks a lot.)

I've been going to Tournies since Oct or so. Out of the 15ish tournaments I've been too, I've only won sets at 6 of them. 4 if you ignore doubles.

You'll get better. 3 months is not that long considering everybody else has a year or more's worth of tourney experience. In Brawl, the "only" way to get good is to go to tournaments.

http://allisbrawl.com/profile/Natch.ai

There's a few missing tournament, IIRC. The one I got 3rd place(DOUBLES, not Singles) in had 14 people in it.

EDIT: Didn't hear you were placing in Quarter Finals only.

You've been to 3 tournies, correct? What I said earlier still applies(Go to more tourneys), but you may want to switch mains if you want to do better.
maybe ur playing too much, i know its hard, but take a small break from smash & im sure ur skills will improve.us also fix the personal issues in ur life.us ive found out, that if u dont have stress or anything worrying you, then you'll perform a lot better.us I feel that i was better in the summer than i am now, cause i had nothing bothering me.us lol i was happy w/ my life back then, & since everything changed, i feel that im not as good.
also, i wouldnt put a heavy imput on tiers, characters in C,d,&e rank are still pretty good contenders 4 a first place, & low tier defame needs some help, but i think its possible to win w/ 2 c,d,e chars like zss & pit, who have very good matchups & good variety in playstyles

Popertop

Smash Champion
^ this

taking breaks helps get rid of bad habits and clear your head.

sometimes, when I can't practice for real, I imagine situations in my head and think ways out of them.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Fun read, but I've heard it all before.
And what if that D tier moves up to B tier eventually?
Then should I need another B tier?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I think anyone who doesn't have too many bad match ups/no super **** matches is easily viable. And tons of characters can be used well in conjunction with other characters. Like if you lose with Falco vs Kirby you have quite a few cp options. Now if you only play Falco and dont cp the odds aren't quite so sexy for you.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Fun read, but I've heard it all before.
And what if that D tier moves up to B tier eventually?
Then should I need another B tier?
Yah because you're cool because you try to poke loopholes into an INTERVIEW. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
maybe ur playing too much, i know its hard, but take a small break from smash & im sure ur skills will improve.us also fix the personal issues in ur life.us ive found out, that if u dont have stress or anything worrying you, then you'll perform a lot better.us I feel that i was better in the summer than i am now, cause i had nothing bothering me.us lol i was happy w/ my life back then, & since everything changed, i feel that im not as good.
also, i wouldnt put a heavy imput on tiers, characters in C,d,&e rank are still pretty good contenders 4 a first place, & low tier defame needs some help, but i think its possible to win w/ 2 c,d,e chars like zss & pit, who have very good matchups & good variety in playstyles
But you're never going to win a major tournament with those characters. I used Lucas for the 8 months-before I was going to tournaments. I never managed to win a single tournament set with him-I was always beaten twice in a row and knocked out of the tournaments. After a month 1/2 of picking up Snake, I managed to win my first tournament set-it was in Loser's bracket.

Tiers do matter.

I'm fine with everything else-taking a bit of a break from Smash(I am laying off of it, BTW.) I know that grades>Smash, but I still can't help but like playing this game.

I aim high, what can I say, XP. I will stick with Brawl unless it dies which would be fine with me since I keep what little skill I have in Melee up to snuff.
Yeah, you'll get better. By Melee's end, everybody had been playing for so long that practically everyone had a shot of at least placing in any given tournament.

Diclaimer: I did not play Melee competitvely. I was not there. However, this is my understanding of how things were when Melee was well into it's competitive scene.

Top Bottom