• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battlefield 3

Browny

Smash Hater
lmfao

aussies found a way to bypass origins restrictions, and have been playing it for over 12 hours so far, even though our release date is another 30 hours away.

M@v

Subarashii!
Was too busy playing it ;)

Besides some key binding issues I'm having with my joystick(its convinced I have a bailout button on it when I don't, which is REALLY annoying), its epic. I'm sure ill get it figured out soon.

:phone:

M@v

Subarashii!
What are the jets like?

:phone:
Luckily for you jets are my most played vehicle and my farthest along achievement wise so far. Maneuverability is similar to bf2 except yaw is much less responsive now. Dogfights are similar with 1 key difference: They are much more gun based than missile based as they were in bf2. In bf2 the idea was to get your opponent to chaff early, then pop 2 missiles at him/her. In bf3, its all about getting in close for gun kills, which is a lot easier then it was in bf2. You don't even start off with chaffs or missiles, but they are achievement items you get very early.

Missiles were nerfed hardcore from bf2.
-Can only fire two at a time
-Lock on takes a few seconds, and you have to keep the opponent inside of a circle the whole time to obtain the lock-on

I believe there's later achievements that make missiles better/give better counter measures, but they are higher level.

The only thing I don't like is that jets have regenerating health and missiles(2 missiles, then cool down until 2 more missiles). Your gun has infinite ammo but can overheat quick. (Another earlier achievement reduces overheat time). If you jet takes critical damage, you don't regen but instead, like bf2, slowly lose health until you blow up. AKA that's the time you bail out :awesome:

On a scale of 9-10, how bad is Battlefield 3?
gtfo troll

•Col•

Smash Champion
To be fair, every single BF3 lover is a troll.

"LOLOLOLOL COD SUCKS"

Don't any of you try to act like you haven't ****-talked CoD/CoD players.

I know you have.

M@v

Subarashii!
I've played COD3. COD4, and COD: WaW.

COD lost my business when they wrecked Mw2 Multiplayer for PC by not having dedicated servers. Like seriously?

The only thing I trash talk about COD is how they release so many so quickly, and its obvious they are milking money.

Was kinda pissed about the whole need origin to run bf3 thing too, but at least it didnt involve money to get origin.

Browny

Smash Hater
INSTALLING NOW

The ultimate test starts here... can my PC play this game at all ultra settings, and keep 60+ FPS :D:D:D

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I wish that EA/DICE would learn after 5 games on the current gen consoles that a lot of people would play their games once they're released...I read that the 360 servers were getting hammered yesterday but I think they're fixed it.

EDIT: http://kotaku.com/5853375/ps3-owners-youre-not-getting-a-free-copy-of-battlefield-1943-after-all

In response to people taking to Twitter and saying "uh, where's Battlefield 1943", EA has said "In lieu of 1943 being available on disk for PS3 customers, EA has made all BF3 expansions available early to PS3 customers." So no BF1943 for you, then.

Yet the decision to release the DLC early for PS3 owners had already been made and announced in September. Which means there's nothing "in lieu" at all, since many PS3 owners had been expecting early DLC and a free game.
lmao

M@v

Subarashii!
INSTALLING NOW

The ultimate test starts here... can my PC play this game at all ultra settings, and keep 60+ FPS :D:D:D
You'll need at least a GTX560Ti(Or radeon equivalent)....my GTX560ti can run high on full frame rate/no slowdowns. I get some slowdowns on ultra. I'm going to try setting it to ultra then bringing down a couple of the ultra settings so I have a setting that's in between ultra and high. A friend of mine with a GTX570 was running it on ultra and he claimed no slow downs.

Browny

Smash Hater
Ive got dual 6950's :D

all ultra is dumb though because high AA/AF and shadows drops fps considerably for small improvements. I have them at medium.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Wow, I feel sorry for PS3 owners, they got screwed. If I owned a PS3 I'd much rather get Battlefield 1943 for free than pay for dlc a week earlier. I mean its just a week, not really a big deal. EA may have good games, but the publisher sucks ****.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I don't really care about the Battlefield 1943 thing. To be honest, the only thing that super interests me unless they vastly improved multiplayer from that awful beta is the ME3 demo that supposedly comes with it.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Battlefield 3 has the ****tiest online infrastructure I've ever seen. Seriously, what is this crap.

When you run the game, it opens Origin(which is already crappy and buggy enough).... then when you start the game in Origin, it opens an internet browser window.... From there you choose a game mode, which then finally starts the actual game...

Plus I've been having a lot of trouble with the server page for multiplayer as well. Took me an hour and a half to get into an actual multiplayer match, but there weren't enough players and everyone else who joined just kept dropping out.

Anyway... Related:

Browny

Smash Hater
Nope, youre just mad.

Battlelog is the fastest game-loading and server browser function I've ever used for online FPS. Seriously, people just dont like it because its different.

Origin does NOTHING to impede the game. You click launch BF3, origin logs in, opens BF3, then minimises to desktop. THATS IT. Anyone complaining about origin is madly grasping at straws. Its faster than steam, and thats all that matters in the end, when its ONLY purpose is to open the game.

Battlelog however is brilliant, you just cant see it. By using a web-based browser it can search for servers faster than any game ever before. The filters work fine and platoons/pre-made squads are great if you want to join with friends all on the same team. Joining a server seems like it takes a long time, but go on, try any other FPS, from the moment you open the game (that means boot up steam as well), until you log in and can bring up a list of servers, see if its faster than battlelog. Pretty sure its almost 2x faster than bad company 2 which was of decent speed.

You'll hate battlelog now but if people stop being so closed minded and attached on outdated ways of the past, youll realise that origin and battlelog serve one major purpose: to boot the game up and find and join servers as fast as possible, which is does fantastically. Any issues you have with battlelog are probably related to
a) using a console
b) having required ports closed/blocked

M@v

Subarashii!
I don't mind battlelog, but they shouldn't of made bf3 origin only; not fair to steam users. I actually like battlelog, especially the ridiculous amounts of stats it tracks. Seriously it tracks ****ing everything. There's probably a number of times I've hit my left mouse button stat, or the number of sodas I've downed while playing :)

Also add me on battlelog/Origin guys:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/Maverick_kzn/

I'll be playing in about 20-25 minutes.

Browny

Smash Hater
did... you not use bf2s?

Battlelogs stat tracking is honestly, the poorest of any of the recent BF games. bf2/2142 were in a league of their own, BC2 a step down and bf3 a step down again.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Browny confirmed to be blinded BF fanboy.

Origin giving plenty of errors when it's only job is to just open the damn game.

The whole browser-based thing just seems unnecessary to me.

And just... wat. Go to the Server Browser page, set 2 filters... Then scroll down. It slowly updates the list as you go down, and makes Firefox hang. :/

I wouldn't have minded any of this if it actually was working efficiently.

Browny

Smash Hater
I indeed am a blind BF fanboy, I pre-ordered as soon as I could and took a day off work to play it on release lol, however Im not the sort of fanboy who needlessly hates on other games competing in the same genre.

Just sayin, efficiency of anything is a really big deal to me, and origin/battlelog is the most efficient process Ive found. I have no doubt in my mind that if browser-based server browsers were the standard for the last 15 years or so, and BF3 was the first to introduce in-game browsers being far slower than browser, people would be fuming, asking to bring it back to the much faster way of the past.

I'll admit, its annoying that you have to close the game simply to change server. Thats my major gripe with it at the moment and honestly, it makes the old style better. As it stands though, this is just a trade off I'll live with until I find servers that rotate the large air vehicle maps. I dont like being in big maps, only to it switch to bazaar 64p. For your other problems, use chrome, find out what ports to open for origin/bf3 etc. I havent had any problems with either, running chrome & W7-64.

The jets are near perfectly balanced tbh. I put a ton of time into them in BF2 and I expected them to take a huge nerf and in the beta they were useless but now its perfect. unlimited missiles and rockets is a fair trade off for only being able to equip one at a time. Its a little disappointing how I cant top a server with them due to the sheer amount of time you have to spend dodging stingers and AA, the jets are considerably stronger in lower player maps though where theres only 1 jet to deal with and far less stinger-weilding engies on ground.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Played less than a match, that took me forever to get into, and already I'm itching to play Gears 3.

That's a bad sign for a game. Looks like MW3, for all it's terribleness, has already won this fight. I wasn't even going to get MW3 because only one of my friends were and everyone else I knew was getting this but now I think I will get MW3.

That's terrible. I thought Battlefield 3 would keep me happy until ME3.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I will get my copy of the game on monday. Hopin for the best but I don't think I will enjoy it as much as cod4 or css because it doesn't seem like you can go on to a public server and just **** everyone by yourself. I like to **** ppl alone

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
So is the popular opinion that this game is not worth getting cause i was considering it.
You seem like a CoD kinda guy so I'd recommend MW3 over BF3. BF3 = More tactical/serious while CoD = Fun/run and gun kinda gameplay IMO.

And people aren't happy that the past 5 BF games have had bad launches with the servers.

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
So is the popular opinion that this game is not worth getting cause i was considering it.
I wouldn't recommend it. I think I remember you saying cod was the only shooter you've ever played and BF is nothing like it.Also the servers/matchmaking are possibly the worst ever atm.(For consoles anyway)

•Col•

Smash Champion
I indeed am a blind BF fanboy, I pre-ordered as soon as I could and took a day off work to play it on release lol, however Im not the sort of fanboy who needlessly hates on other games competing in the same genre.

Just sayin, efficiency of anything is a really big deal to me, and origin/battlelog is the most efficient process Ive found. I have no doubt in my mind that if browser-based server browsers were the standard for the last 15 years or so, and BF3 was the first to introduce in-game browsers being far slower than browser, people would be fuming, asking to bring it back to the much faster way of the past.

I'll admit, its annoying that you have to close the game simply to change server. Thats my major gripe with it at the moment and honestly, it makes the old style better. As it stands though, this is just a trade off I'll live with until I find servers that rotate the large air vehicle maps. I dont like being in big maps, only to it switch to bazaar 64p. For your other problems, use chrome, find out what ports to open for origin/bf3 etc. I havent had any problems with either, running chrome & W7-64.
After a few days of playing BF3, my original suspicions were confirmed. Origin being weird and throwing up errors for seemingly no reason. For instance, several times now Origin pops up with a "Error launching game" window... Then less than a second later the game starts up anyway, perfectly fine.

My internet isn't always the best (I'm on a college campus, so I have a "shared" connection) but when I play during the right time I can play without any problems... And even then, a lot of times the Battlefield 3 client decides to crash for no reason. I have heard this happen to at least 3 other people now, and I'm doubting it's a pc/connection problem. Then at other times I'll just get some little wonky errors with Battlelog itself.

Anyway... I don't agree with everything said in this article, but Destructoid summed up my feelings of Battlelog pretty well.

The Battlelog is a crucial, unavoidable part of the Battlefield 3 experience and it does nothing but get in the way. It's a weird, proprietary attempt to turn a videogame into Facebook and it's so forcefully imposed on the player that it chokes everything else. Once in a game, everything's okay, but the overall experience is constantly hampered by this awkward, shoehorned "service" that nobody asked for.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-battlefield-3-214537.phtml

EDIT: You mentioned how using Chrome might fix some of my problems... But to be honest, I don't feel like I should HAVE to install Chrome when Origin/Battlelog is supposed to work for the major Internet Browsers like Firefox. :[

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Chrome is faster than firefox, at least in my experience, it doesn't take that long to install either. Still....sounds like Battlefield 3 is having a lot of issues, kind of makes me glad I haven't picked it up yet. I'll probably pick it up once all of the issues have been solved.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Yeah I tried to give this game another shot but it's just terrible. Out of all the games I've bought this year this is the one I regret buying the most.

The biggest disappointment about it is I can't return it once its been opened.

Browny

Smash Hater
Eh, I still maintain peoples problems with it, are because its different.
I mean seriously, what it truly comes down to:

"What is a server browsers ONLY function"
Answer is obviously, to browse and join servers.
"What does battlelog allow you to do?"
Hmmm.....

No one is forcing you to bother with any of battlelogs other features. It browses servers, it lets you join servers. It is a total and complete replacement of server browsers, except now its faster and has countless other features if one chooses to use them.

Its hard for me to take criticisms of it seriously when you get things like "wahhh it said the server was full but when I joined it it said 63/64!". Yeah, because that totally hasnt existed in every online game ever where it takes time to join a game and theres many other people trying to join the same thing.

Seriously Destructoid's review is written from the basis that battlelog is forced onto you ON TOP of the normal game, to 'choke' it as they say. If they simply stopped looking for reasons to get their review to draw a ton of comments and site traffic by giving it a negative reivew, they might see that by battlelog is as intrusive onto actual gameplay, than startup developer and publisher intro movies which battlelog has removed entirely. I dont recall anyone complaining about those about being 'forced upon us which no one wanted' etc.

@ Pluvia
Once a CoD fanboy, always a CoD fanboy. I dont think its actually possible for console players to enjoy both, its stronger than apple vs PC in regards to 'never going back'.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Eh, I still maintain peoples problems with it, are because its different.
I mean seriously, what it truly comes down to:

"What is a server browsers ONLY function"
Answer is obviously, to browse and join servers.
"What does battlelog allow you to do?"
Hmmm.....

No one is forcing you to bother with any of battlelogs other features. It browses servers, it lets you join servers. It is a total and complete replacement of server browsers, except now its faster and has countless other features if one chooses to use them.

Its hard for me to take criticisms of it seriously when you get things like "wahhh it said the server was full but when I joined it it said 63/64!". Yeah, because that totally hasnt existed in every online game ever where it takes time to join a game and theres many other people trying to join the same thing.

Seriously Destructoid's review is written from the basis that battlelog is forced onto you ON TOP of the normal game, to 'choke' it as they say. If they simply stopped looking for reasons to get their review to draw a ton of comments and site traffic by giving it a negative reivew, they might see that by battlelog is as intrusive onto actual gameplay, than startup developer and publisher intro movies which battlelog has removed entirely. I dont recall anyone complaining about those about being 'forced upon us which no one wanted' etc.

@ Pluvia
Once a CoD fanboy, always a CoD fanboy. I dont think its actually possible for console players to enjoy both, its stronger than apple vs PC in regards to 'never going back'.
Lol, pluvia doesn't even like cod that much. Do you just assume that anyone that doesn't like battlefield is automatically a cod fanboy?

Top Bottom