• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battlefield 3

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion

This isn't a sequel to Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

This is a real sequel to the real Battlefield 2.​

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi2tae2PmmU
First gameplay peak, only about 5-6 seconds of gameplay but it looks gorgeous. It's been stated that the video infact not pre-rendered but real gameplay footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvj7GMhZxC8
Another gameplay video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwwtuON9oHQ
Some offscreen gameplay.

Unlike the Bad Company (Spinoff) series. Battlefield 3 is for PC first, DICE is making PC the priority so it won't be a console port. This means that PC will have up to 64 players while consoles will still be at the 24 player limit.

I am very excited for this. I played Battlefield 2 a TON and I never got into the Bad Company series cause I saw it was different. I bought Bad Company 2 about a week ago and I enjoy it quite a bit. There are some cons to the Bad Company series which I have read so far are being looked over and changed for Battlefield 3.

Jets are back, although I'm not a vehicle person, Bad Company just seems to empty without them. Hoping a bunch of you guys are excited as I am. 2011 seems to be a decent year in gaming for me personally.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The graphics do look ridiculous. We only got snippets of it, but holy crap...it looked like some of the best graphics I've seen for a FPS game yet.

Really wish Battlefield would get as much if not more love than CoD.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Yeah that's one of the things I prefer over CoD. You don't get 10 kills in a row and then pull in an AI controlled Chopper. You wait for two of your teammate to jump in a chopper and help you out themselves.

There are a few things like Mortars in BC2 and Artillery in BF2 where it can come out of no where. I don't like the idea of rewarding sprees with the ability to get an even higher spree. Battlefield is a lot more about team work with medics and support/assaults ability to heal and resupply (Grenades should be limited). And everyone has a different role.

Thats why I hate when I play BC2 and all people care about are K/D ratios and don't help to capture points.

M@v

Subarashii!
Hype. Played bf2 for a looooong time but havent played in a couple years. Just gimmie my c4 buggies back :D

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
What are the cons about the Bad Company series? Only Battlefield game I've played is the first Bad Company game. So I was wondering what the differences are between the normal Battlefield games and the Bad Company games.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Only things I can say is.. Jets, only spawn on Squad Leader. 7 classes (Spec-Ops, Assault, Medic, Sniper, Support, Engineer, Anti-Tank) can't think of much else.

Oh and factions had different weapons for their classes, of course you could still unlock weapons but not nearly as much as in BC.

D20

Smash Lord
I felt there were some minor issues with BC2 (and some other negatives that I just couldn't quite put my finger on). I think that the maps, while visually impressive and interesting, did not translate well to all modes of game-play. Specially, they either felt too large or too small for the 16v16 model. The choice of customization initially seemed impressive, but most of the kits were shallow. In addition, the bullet physics seemed to act unpredictably (probably due to a mix of bullet drop, wait, and server speed).

That said, BC2 was a solid game... but there were a bunch of minor issues that really added up.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Lots of things that need to be changed. I think that body armor and Magnum ammo need to be taken out.

More than half of my deaths were because of going head to head with someone, dying, then seeing they have less than 20% health left.

If they didn't have Magnum ammo I probably would have killed them.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Lots of things that need to be changed. I think that body armor and Magnum ammo need to be taken out.

More than half of my deaths were because of going head to head with someone, dying, then seeing they have less than 20% health left.

If they didn't have Magnum ammo I probably would have killed them.
Couldn't you just use magnum ammo then to counter someone else's use of magnum ammo? Stronger bullets sound pretty useful to me.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I wonder if there will be any other way to get into the beta if you don't have the LE version of MoH?

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Couldn't you just use magnum ammo then to counter someone else's use of magnum ammo? Stronger bullets sound pretty useful to me.
I haven't unlocked it yet.

I don't like the idea of rewarding good players with much more power. I mean more guns to choose from sure, some perks like red dot sight etc. I don't know, maybe if it had less of a damage upgrade, it just seems too powerful.

M@v

Subarashii!
The gaming clan I had the longest tenure with was a bf2 one. We had a 64 man 24/7 Jalalabad server that was active all the time.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Okay seriously. These graphics. For an FPS game. Holy crap. I'm assuming this is max settings on PC right? Wonder how it will look on the PS3 and 360.

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
I bought Bad Company 2 but didn't get to play it much.

I'm going to check this out though.Looks pretty good from the little they've shown.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Hopefully with Frostbite 2 the destruction is a little more randomized as in BC2 all the parts which could be blown away were pretty much just a set place in the wall. And when a building went down it was a scripted fall so if two buildings went down at the same time it would look exactly the same.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Late compared to what? Since BF2? I guess when they made Bad Company it was catered more to the smaller map high intensity battles like CoD so proning wasn't necessary in their eyes... Even if CoD has prone.. heh.

M@v

Subarashii!
Bumping this. I am seriously dissapointed at the lack of hype here for what will be game of the year.

2 new trailers were shown at E3, one of singleplayer tank battles, and the other being the first look at multiplayer. Release date is October 25th. Get PUMPED.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Bumping this. I am seriously dissapointed at the lack of hype here for what will be game of the year.

2 new trailers were shown at E3, one of singleplayer tank battles, and the other being the first look at multiplayer. Release date is October 25th. Get PUMPED.
And what makes you so sure about that?

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion

Trailers can be misleading. Just because you can make a game look good doesn't mean it will be a good game.

D

Deleted member

Anyone have info on the Tracer Dart Gun? That thing pretty much was the only reason I played BC2.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Well, looks like the first screw up in the BF3 marketing campaign just happened...

http://ca.kotaku.com/5811243/battlefield-3-finds-a-way-to-piss-people-off

This is not the same thing. These weapons are actually exclusive, not an early unlock. If you don't live in the UK, or live in the UK and don't want to buy it from a specific retailer, you will never have these items.
You don't unlock them by ranking, that's the point (They are exclusive to those who pre-order at a certain location, they will never un-lock otherwise).
Basically, some weapons are EXCLUSIVE to certain retailers and WILL NOT unlock even if you play the game a lot. (Like in BFBC2.)

Darkslash

Smash Master
Dice answered some questions about the pre-ordering shenanigans.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...k-and-back-to-karkand-questions-answered.aspx

Q: Will Physical Warfare Pack imbalance the game?
A: The three exclusive items in the Physical Warfare Pack were specifically chosen not to be overpowered or imbalance or break the game in any way.

Q: Why do I want the Physical Warfare Pack?
A: Owning these items will give you a more varied arsenal, but it will not give you a significant advantage on the battlefield.
So the guns are really just for show now? I guess I can live with that.

M@v

Subarashii!
I was just a little overhyped. But I've played bf2 a lot, and I still feel its one of the best shooters I've ever played. Its almost perfectly balanced, with the main exception being that the g36E is slightly overpowered. Looks like they've been putting a lot of work into bf3 so I'm expecting an even better experience.

They fixed the j10-f35 imbalance in a semi-recent patch.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Good news everyone!

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...k-available-to-all-battlefield-3-players.aspx

So maybe this is stating the obvious, but all of us at DICE are here because of our passion for games and the passion to bring you the games we too love to play. I always knew our pre-order offers for Battlefield 3 would be open to misunderstandings. This post is an attempt by me to answer any questions you have.

I would like to start by clarifying that the Physical Warfare Pack is a time-based exclusive. If you do not pre-order Battlefield 3 at a retailer carrying the Physical Warfare Pack, don’t worry. We will unlock the contents of the Physical Warfare Pack for free to all Battlefield 3 players later this year.
Nice save DICE. It would of been better if you said this from the start, but eh.

M@v

Subarashii!
Giving that extra love to pc :). Pcs are more powerful than ps3 and 360, but still run them at 60, and tone down the graphicd a little for them.

Top Bottom