• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

that wouldn't work. then you would just make nana grab and then throw, so nana grabs at the moment popo let's go.
we have been over numerous options for B+, and in the end we just hardcoded that nana can't regrab.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I admit I haven't looked very closely at Ice Climbers' programming, so there's a good chance I'm off-base here, but would it be possible/feasible to simply remove the alternate Ice Climber's ability to grab?

D

Deleted member

If you try to have Nana grab early, Popo will pummel.
yes, but since nana's grab would be slow, popo would be able to throw in time.

and @sir orion, that is what we did in B+. but I don't know if the way we did it would look goood in BBrawl.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
How about ICs can't throw at all but to break out it takes like 3-4 times the amount of button mashing and increase pummel damage. This allows the person to use Nana/Popo to damage the person being grabbed for like 20-40% in total. Keeps the incentive to not get grabbed IMO but its still like 3-5 grabs a stock basically. ICs would still need better tools to grab still.

Browny

Smash Hater
Olimar players would hate us forever, and it's a very, very risky direction to go with his design if nothing else. If I were designing the game from scratch, I'd definitely explore this avenue, but as someone just rebalancing the game, I fear this change would just be too radical.
Explain.

How would it be radical? It hurts my brain to think about why you consider this a radical suggestion. His gameplay is identical, it just makes the Olimar player slightly more accountable for their mistakes, as oppose to what it is currently, with 0 risk involved. What 'fear' are you on about?

Lets go into detail about every aspect of his game which would be altered.

I think slowing down his pikmin grab would only make olimar players use sideb less. it remains extremely spammable and very high damaging, except Olimar players will have to think twice before throwing all 6 at an approaching enemy. Good players really should not be affected by this as they actually take care in a proper defense. It doesnt change the fact that mindless sideb spamming is actually a legit tactic and renders his matchups vs the likes of DDD a complete nightmare.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Explain.

How would it be radical? It hurts my brain to think about why you consider this a radical suggestion. His gameplay is identical, it just makes the Olimar player slightly more accountable for their mistakes, as oppose to what it is currently, with 0 risk involved. What 'fear' are you on about?

I think slowing down his pikmin grab would only make olimar players use sideb less. it remains extremely spammable and very high damaging, except Olimar players will have to think twice before throwing all 6 at an approaching enemy. Good players really should not be affected by this as they actually take care in a proper defense. It doesnt change the fact that mindless sideb spamming is actually a legit tactic and renders his matchups vs the likes of DDD a complete nightmare.
what olimar player in their right mind would support this if they are heavily nerfed? MK and Snake were given hardly any nerfs for just this reason.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I think it would also make a respawned Olimar too vulnerable. If you could just kill off all the pikmin he plucked until the invincibility wears off then he will be in big trouble for a good portion of the match. The pluck being lagless also is the basis of one of his AT's I think. Nerfs should be a last resort for balance and with all of the buffs other characters got I don't think he will hard counter that many characters anymore. If a certain character has Olimar problems then they should receive buffs tailored to help out in that match-up. If there is no way they can be buffed without polarizing their other match-ups then a nerf to Olimar would probably be appropriate. As long as it is within 60:40 to 40:60 I don't think it needs immediate attention.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
One of the most basic ideas behind everything Olimar does is that pikmin are basically completely expendable. I think making that not true would have very unpredictable results on Olimar's overall matchup spread, if nothing else. It certainly would really modify his behavior.

Like I said, design wise, it's a very interesting avenue, but given what a huge game changer it would stand to be for Olimar that he probably doesn't need to have, I don't think it would be responsible.

Browny

Smash Hater
how is it a heavy nerf?
if its currently at 6 per second dropping it to maybe 4 per second isnt that much... you cant consider this a relative change, like saying dropping the speed by 33% is the same as slowing down warios fsmash from 8 frames to 12...

and you still say its a heavy game changer. HOW?! his gameplay is exactly the same completely and entirely. its like calling sonics dtilt buff a heavy game changer...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I still don't get why people keep calling Marth's Counter "excellent." It's definitely the best counter move, but it's still not worth using most of the time (DEFINITELY not as much as scrub Marths want to rely on it).

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Never said it was excellent to rely on. Its just excellent for the speed it comes out. Thing leaves you open for 33 frames or something like that.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I misunderstood what you were specifically referring to when you said "excellent." Sorry about that.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Considering it's used a a damage builder predominantly and not as a kill move, not really. If you get hit by a fresh ftilt at the end of the stage at 160 then frankly you should die.

shanus

Smash Hero
Explain.

FYI, I tried out slowing down his grab. It suffers a terrible bug where if you slow it down (at all), it will ALWAYS grab release if you grab from maximum grab range.

Also, just keep the pressure on Olimar and it will do you wonders.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
The thing about ICs is their main damage building tool is the chaingrab. They plan to remove the infinite (or at least make it take inhuman reflexes), but let them chaingrab to around 70% so they have to use their other moves to get the rest of the damage and set up the kill.

Remember that ICs aren't exactly spectacular when they're not chaingrabbing you.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Yeah, Dedede is perfectly fine without his CG, but removing IC's makes them very sad lovers/secreteries/friends/cousins/siblings.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
i still think that IC should still have the CG "_" i dunno what to do right now about ice climbers ahhh!!! it's either figure out a way to stop IC cg, OR we have IC keep the cg but does less dmg in return making cg longer so they have a "chance of screwing up" but in return receives new buffs in other areas? i don't know what i'm talking about but meh ice climbers are getting kinda aggravating the more i think about it.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The Ice Climbers are doubtless the most frustrating characters for us of the entire cast, due to how they have something so patently "broken" that is so hard to fix and so pivotal to how they function in standard Brawl.

That being said, I don't think there's really much to discuss about them right now. We're still actively working on them and have a pretty good idea of what we want them to be.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
also i was reading on some of the youtube responses. They were asking if you could "possibly" fix ikes blast off glitch on yoshis island fix ikes Side B into kirby/d3's neutral B. If it does mess up other things then don't bother but it would be nice to know it's gone.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
also i was reading on some of the youtube responses. They were asking if you could "possibly" fix ikes blast off glitch on yoshis island fix ikes Side B into kirby/d3's neutral B. If it does mess up other things then don't bother but it would be nice to know it's gone.
Ike side b doesn't go into helpless anymore :laugh:

Blast off glitch is something i'd look into though... it's something to do with the extreme slant Ike slides but he flies off stage... so Only way to fix is it to make Ike slide less on slopes... I think

Luur3

Smash Journeyman
Its looking great so far. I'm loving the Lucas changes and chaingrab changes. I've got 2 minor complaints though

1) Ice Climbers chaingrab is still in. But as stated, there's not much that can be done now, and they need it for damage building, so not that big of a deal for me. Maybe they'll find something to do with it

2) The water changes. Its good to make it so people cant take their sweet time in the water, but the changes punish Charizard pretty badly, since he almost instantly goes into the flailing animation. Are there any plans to do something for Charizard or are we gonna go with a "dont get knocked in" rule?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
1) Don't get grabbed
2) Don't get knocked in

But in all seriousness, that does need to be fixed. I like playing PT for funsies, but the funsies goes away when I lose a stock that quickly from the water.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Its looking great so far. I'm loving the Lucas changes and chaingrab changes. I've got 2 minor complaints though

1) Ice Climbers chaingrab is still in. But as stated, there's not much that can be done now, and they need it for damage building, so not that big of a deal for me. Maybe they'll find something to do with it

2) The water changes. Its good to make it so people cant take their sweet time in the water, but the changes punish Charizard pretty badly, since he almost instantly goes into the flailing animation. Are there any plans to do something for Charizard or are we gonna go with a "dont get knocked in" rule?
Ic's cg's should be in. There is no reason to take them out. They were only trying to take out the inf.

And yea the zard thing in the water is gay but i look at it as just a really good cp against zard. Simply dont get knocked in. That part of the stage doesn't last long and with zard extra jump he should be able to avoid it.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I think almost any move that hits at a certain angle has like a 5% trip chance. The quake couldn't trip before since it used to pop them in the air instead. Now that the angle was changed to be more level with the ground it can trip if you are lucky.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Hey Kenji we haven't played since the last time! By any chance you wanna play again? PM me if you wanna play. I'll try to check back here for 30-45 minutes. I'll also need some time to set up my Wii and update my codes if you accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom