• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Average teen sends 3,339 texts per month

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian

If you needed more proof that texting is on the rise, here's a stat for you: the average teenager sends over 3,000 texts per month. That's more than six texts per waking hour.

According to a new study from Nielsen, our society has gone mad with texting, data usage and app downloads. Nielsen analyzed the mobile data habits of over 60,000 mobile subscribers and surveyed over 3,000 teens during April, May and June of this year. The numbers they came up with are astounding.

The number of texts being sent is on the rise, especially among teenagers age 13 to 17. According to Nielsen, the average teenager now sends 3,339 texts per month.
There's more, though: teen females send an incredible 4,050 text per month, while teen males send an average of 2,539 texts. Teens are sending 8 percent more texts than they were this time last year.

Other age groups don't even come close, either; the average 18 to 24-year-old sends "only" 1,630 texts per month. The average only drops with other age groups. However, in every age bracket, the number of texts sent has increased when compared to last year. Texting is a more important means of communication than ever.

In 2008, the main reason anybody got a phone was for safety, even among teenagers. That's not true anymore. 43 percent of teenagers now say texting is the #1 reason they get a cell phone. Safety is #2 with 35 percent, while 34 percent of teenagers say they get cell phones to keep in touch with friends.
More @ http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/15/teen.texting.mashable/index.html

That's about 111 texts a day. Unbelievable.

UberMario

Smash Master
That's a scary thought, over 3000 texts a month ON AVERAGE? That is more than 36,000 texts a year for the common teen! I'm scared to find out if anyone actually does 10,000+ month. X_x

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
That's insane, what's so important they need to text that much a day...

May as well go on an instant messenger, which s prob what these kids are mistaking texting for.

I wonder how much their phone bills would be

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
text messaging can be really cheap with the right plan. I know I get unlimited text for like $20 among other things.

as well, with the phones out there nowadays, it really is like instant messaging. Nearly identical in fact. The iphone is a good example of that.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
people who text the most are usually the more sociable ones i find. Girls mainly I guess.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I only have like 100 at the most like Luigitoilet. I like texting more than calling, but I prefer to use my iPhone for **** like listening to music and playing on apps

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I used to do about 700 a month but ever since I got free calls and more work hours its been knocked down to like 400.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
At first I didn't notice anything strange in the thread title.

Then I remembered that English uses comma as a thousand separator, not the decimal separator.

I've sent like 10 texts total this year... Not probably even that many.

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
I only get 300 a month, but I have a little bro who probably falls into that category. And he gets all miffed/offended/annoyed if you call him on the phone. I'd like to get to the bottom of why talking to people on the phone, and even IRL, is so last decade to them.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yep, my sister, who is 14 would send roughly 3000 texts a month before my parents got on her. A few months later, and now she averages roughly 2000. I guess that's a significant improvement? Still though, my bro (18) sends 1000, and me (20) sends 200. I feel so...old.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I'm 17, and I send about 300 texts max a month, and that's really, really rare. People seriously need to find a more productive use of their time. Why would I send 3000 texts when I can have a 15 minute phone conversation?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
texting, facebook, and twitter are all social crutches for those who are unable to handle physical means of conversation. due to the ease of exclusion, it is now an undesirable or uncomfortable situation to speak on a personal level with a person one is not facebook friends with or whose phone number one does not have. as a result my peers are becoming awkward loners when outside of their comfort zone of preexisting friends. i fear for societys future should this trend continue.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
I don't know about you guys, but I would rather see the guy or girl I'm talking to in person. :3

Edit - You guys need to stop doing this, lol.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I've sent three texts in my entire life, and that was because one of my friends doesn't have a call plan on his cell phone.

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
i tried discusing it with a certain member of swf and they were being perved.....

Ok, i didn't mean it that way :glare:

Yeah people here aren't as perverted...
And I only text her 'cuz kids in my class and block are immature :glare:

And what would you do if you were immature and saw a boy and girl spending all their time together?

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Is this really news? I mean, if you have multiple friends and have a fast way to communicate your gonna use it. I don't have a phone right now, but when I did. I was in the 4,000 region.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
How did nobody notice this post? it's hilarious.

texting, facebook, and twitter are all social crutches for those who are unable to handle physical means of conversation. due to the ease of exclusion, it is now an undesirable or uncomfortable situation to speak on a personal level with a person one is not facebook friends with or whose phone number one does not have. as a result my peers are becoming awkward loners when outside of their comfort zone of preexisting friends. i fear for societys future should this trend continue.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
It seems like people text or fiddle with their phones when they have a few minutes between things and don't know what to do. I'd rather take the time to get lost in thought.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
It seems like people text or fiddle with their phones when they have a few minutes between things and don't know what to do. I'd rather take the time to get lost in thought.
Agreed.

I send maybe 10 or 20 a month at the most. I'm not a fan of texting though.

Jane

Smash Hero
lol @ people getting mad at kids texting a lot

lol @ skyler being proud of his 4000 texts

the probable reason for that sudden difference of the age groups is because in high school, you have a lot of time that you can just be texting instead of paying attention or doing your work, lol. plus you meet a lot of people in high school.
then AFTER high school, if you go to college, your classes require a lot more attention so you cant just sit in class texting away like before. and if you start working/dont do anything after hs then your social network stagnates so yeah. thats my little explanation.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I rarely send texts, hell most of the time my phone is turned off or is on silent. I don't like the mobile phone tbh.

S l o X

Smash Champion
i feel like facebooking this.

seriously though, those are my thoughts on paper. i know so many people who just can't talk to me in person where as via instant messanger / texting they can actually hold a convo

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i feel like facebooking this.

seriously though, those are my thoughts on paper. i know so many people who just can't talk to me in person where as via instant messanger / texting they can actually hold a convo
This isn't the fault of social networking programs like facebook and aim, this is just socially awkward people who now have an easier way of communicating. These people would still exist even if facebook was never created.

Top Bottom