• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Average teen sends 3,339 texts per month

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Some periods I will got days without one text and then some times (usually weekends) I will send over 100 a day. Usually its because of that one girl who wont take a hint that you dont want to keep talking to her and she just keeps asking you questions in texts.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
That is probably one of the silliest things I've heard this week. The awesome thing about texting is that if you don't want to talk any more, you just, brace yourselves because this might upset you,.... pambadadumbadadumbadadum*drums*

... 'stop texting'.

It's amazing rite?!

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
texting, facebook, and twitter are all social crutches for those who are unable to handle physical means of conversation. due to the ease of exclusion, it is now an undesirable or uncomfortable situation to speak on a personal level with a person one is not facebook friends with or whose phone number one does not have. as a result my peers are becoming awkward loners when outside of their comfort zone of preexisting friends. i fear for societys future should this trend continue.
http://www.examiner.com/technology-...e-likely-to-have-tried-drugs-sex-alcohol-more

Drawing from the data, teens who are hyper-texters are 40 percent more likely to have tried cigarettes, two times more likely to have tried alcohol, 43 percent more likely to be binge drinkers, 41 percent more likely to have used illicit drugs, 55 percent more likely to have been in a physical fight, nearly three-and-a-half times more likely to have had sex and 90 percent more likely to report four or more sexual partners.

Additionally, hyper-networking, defined as spending more than three hours per school day on social networking web sites, was reported by 11.5 percent of students and associated with higher odds ratios for stress, depression, suicide, substance use, fighting, poor sleep, poor academics, television watching and parental permissiveness. Teens who are hyper-networkers are 62 percent more likely to have tried cigarettes, 79 percent more likely to have tried alcohol, 69 percent more likely to be binge drinkers, 84 percent more likely to have used illicit drugs, 94 percent more likely to have been in a physical fight, 69 percent more likely to have had sex and 60 percent more likely to report four or more sexual partners.

D

Deleted member

the number itself is already "wut", but when you actually estimate that a teen on AVERAGE sends 1 text every SEVEN minutes, and the fact that most people here (and most people I know irl as well) are more around the 0-3 texts a day I really wonder how the f*** that is the average number.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
im not saying texting causes those things but its common sense that kids with a lower attention span get in more trouble. no need to get defensive.
i'm not being defensive lol. I hate texting and probably do it less than everyone in this topic barring one person. Still doesn't mean texting has anything to do with poor communication skills. Chances are awkward people always existed.

[you suggested people are becoming awkward loners as a result of new forms of communication such as texting]

UberMario

Smash Master
That stat sheet is pretty disturbing, eighteenspikes, but the sad thing is, I'd say that's pretty accurate. 0_o

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I decided to not delete my messages for a month and see how much I send.

I'm definitely under the average, with only about 75 msgs sent, 100 at best in a month

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think the most texts I ever sent was a couple months ago when I gave a girl my number and she texted me about 50 times the next day, until I finally successfully killed the conversation.

I was ready to shoot someone by the end of the day and partially because of that incident and also because my other friends didn't know when to stop calling me I almost never have my phone on anymore, much less text at all. Then when I turned my phone off and refused to ever have it on my friends got legitimately pissed off at me because they couldn't get a hold of me via cell phone and I apparently "made their life hell" because they couldn't plan through cell phone.

You know, ignoring the fact that landlines exist and I'm on AIM pretty much whenever I'd be available to talk on the cell phone anyway.

Seriously, I hate cell phones and wish I had never gotten one. People mistake the convenience of being able to contact someone anytime and anywhere as a necessity to be able to do so and I hate it.

Doesn't surprise me to see such ridiculous statistics of texting, but it saddens me nevertheless.

Top Bottom