• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aura Malarkey in 3D .:. Lsgd

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You shouldn't be able to buffer out of shield stun, because that would make attacking out of shield extremely safe, which is ********, especially in a fighting game where you're supposed to have risk vs reward.

Imagine if no fighting games had shield stun...people would pretty much camp in their shields all day and wait for someone to make the first move, and then punish. There would be no aggression, only mostly defensive gameplay. Oh wait...there's already a game like that. It's called BRAWL. Keep in mind, Brawl was designed not to be competitive. Tripping? Removal of key techniques for no apparent reason?

Now I'm curious, have you actually played Melee? Or even entered a Melee tournament? Did you play Melee after Brawl, or Brawl before Melee?

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
there is a buffer out of blockstun

its calling mashing

:D MASH DAT DP YO

also smash needs a 3rd gen rep

Gardevoir yo!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
People actually like that two dimensional cardboard redhead?
I do. :(

Melee's movement is more fluid because
- less landing lag on aerial attacks
- wavedashing
- wavelanding
- fast falling
- dash dancing
- edge canceling
- no input buffer (try short hop fast fall in Brawl. When you land, your character will have to enter a crouch animation)

Melee gives you so many options for control in movement, easily more than Brawl
I think what turns people off is what you need to do to perform all of these at once to be good at Melee. Along with the buffering.

If you put time in, which isn't as much as some people make it out to be, people can nail down melee a lot better.

less landing lag is only because L canceling, though it's not like that matters because there's so much shield stun in that game aerials on shield are really safe. which is what makes it offensive and fun

wavedashing makes up for the fact that the normal movement methods are so horrible

wavelanding is cool

you can dash dance in brawl (then trip)

no buffer system isn't neccecarily a good thing. one not fun thing about melee is having to practice to punish individual moves because you can't buffer out of shield stun. it's a matter of preference though. big part of why I hate street fighter... that game feels like a shallower brawl with artificial difficulty programmed in.
Non l canceled shield pressure is safe? Maybe in Smash64

Normal running and jumping are bad?

yes

You can dash dance, but the timing is pretty tight and you can't do it far which limits your spacing options

True, buffer system is partly preference based. Having a buffer would allow you to do stuff more frame perfectly, but the trade off I'm addressing is that it can make you perform actions you don't want to

Just in case anyone's confused, I'm not hating on Brawl. I'm just pointing out why Melee is better. I like Brawl

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
less landing lag is only because L canceling, though it's not like that matters because there's so much shield stun in that game aerials on shield are really safe. which is what makes it offensive and fun

wavedashing makes up for the fact that the normal movement methods are so horrible

wavelanding is cool

you can dash dance in brawl (then trip)

no buffer system isn't neccecarily a good thing. one not fun thing about melee is having to practice to punish individual moves because you can't buffer out of shield stun. it's a matter of preference though. big part of why I hate street fighter... that game feels like a shallower brawl with artificial difficulty programmed in.
I think a couple other fighters other than Brawl have a buffer.

You shouldn't be able to buffer out of shield stun, because that would make attacking out of shield extremely safe, which is ********, especially in a fighting game where you're supposed to have risk vs reward.

Imagine if no fighting games had shield stun...people would pretty much camp in their shields all day and wait for someone to make the first move, and then punish. There would be no aggression, only mostly defensive gameplay. Oh wait...there's already a game like that. It's called BRAWL. Keep in mind, Brawl was designed not to be competitive. Tripping? Removal of key techniques for no apparent reason?

Now I'm curious, have you actually played Melee? Or even entered a Melee tournament? Did you play Melee after Brawl, or Brawl before Melee?
Buffer just means you do it as fast as possible. The issue would be the shield stun not the buffering.

There are safe moves, camping in shield isn't going to work all the time.

Tripping is dumb.

L canceling should have been removed. Wavedashing, not my call.

I like playing Brawl more despite all this oddly enough, I don't care which game is better though, I'm done and over with those kinds of debates.

Steam

Smash Hero

I play melee more than I play brawl these days. there aren't any melee (or brawl for that matter) tournies in Colorado anymore. but still melee players. but we're still not on the same page. I've never really liked games where I have to practice (a lot) just to be able to move my character properly in game. It just kinda feels like artificial difficulty and something that's a personal turn off for me. But yeah after you can get used to all that stuff the game gets enjoyable.

but yeah plenty of other fighters have buffer in them. Street fighter has generous buffer with special moves and target combos, and 0 buffer on normals (1 frame hit confirm oh yeah). Blazblue has a big buffer system with hitpause and everything. Marvel has a huuuuuge buffer system on hits... just like mash your combo.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
We don't have much tourneys but we have alot of smashfest and meet ups.

Mm and I think we don't have much smash tourneys because the scene has been taken over by MvC3, and blazblue.

Steam

Smash Hero
@Zant- Ganon/Falco

@Ryu- because it's Colorado. The brawl scene here is like 15 people max (but 7 of the 15 are pretty decent. one could be a national threat, which is fishbait if you've ever heard of him)

@sunny- you're not from Colorado.

culexus・wau

nah

if he's a zorua he's condemned to be a furry.

if he's a ditto he has a free range of fetishes to switch to in denial.

culexus・wau

This just goes to show that no matter how many stupid things you see on the internet there will always be something to top it.

always.

what. the. ****.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I've not been learning.

For 2 years.

Something about high school isn't working for me.

And I'd rather not repeat Grade 12 a third time.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Won't go into full details but for My first year of failing 9th I simply was too tired half the time for various House reasons, So I escaped with 3.5 Credits.

Failed 9th the second year cause I was in school August through October before randomly moving a few more miles out of my old town and being in a new one, So I wasn't enrolled (For some reason) in school November through February.

3rd year of failing 9th this time I stayed till November before dropping out cause of house reasons again and went around 60+ miles back to live with my grandparents. That was last year of course and aside from the first year, I was actually working hard to pass the 2nd and 3rd time.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Due to personal issues I'm going to one college class at a tech school next semester and working full time. I need to figure out what I need to do with myself.

:phone:

I think Miku should be in Smash 4. I mean think of all the possibilities!

/bias

Though I don't think it'd be too :083:

I mean, sega and crypton are already pushing for the westernisation of miku and vocaloid in general. That and maybe sega would be willing to be part of smash again

I think the technology that enable it is awesome. The fact that you piece together a bunch of pre-recorded phonemes to create songs, and the fact that just with the original program, it can either sound horribly robotic or eerily natural, is pretty astounding, you have to admit.

Besides steam, we're not talking about singing, we're talking about SMASH

And SMASH is the bond that unites us

Top Bottom