• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Thanks for all the info Vman. Ylink has been my low tier main for awhile but I've really been liking Yoshi. Leffen amazes me, so do you of course. I would like to know how to approach fox and falcon. I am better vs Falco for some reason. Is there anything that Yoshi can do that is safe on shield? Cause I like to DJC>nair shields. But then I usually get grabbed :( should I not be doing that at all? Or should I do something after the nair? like DJC>Nair>Jab/grab? I really am lost when someone goes in shield and im already commited to a shorthop. Also HOW THE HELL do you do that egg throw ledgestall? Is it just double jump from ledge>upB? Im pretty sure it is. But I just cant get it. I suppose it's just timing though. I feel that bair is a good approach, good priority and safe. After I dthrow what do I follow up with? DJC>uairs are hard for me. I guess I just need to practice it. Can I just Dthrow>SH>Uair. I know I can but do you think I can follow it up? I really like edgeguarding with dash attack. Utilts are hard to hit ;[ When should I use a ftilt and how do I follow that up? When should I Dtilt and how should i use it? For spacing? Sorry I know I have alot of questions its just I was playing a lot of Yoshi lastnight and I wanted to ask you all this while it was still fresh.
Thank Vman you're the best! we need to play at Apex!

leffen

Smash Champion
just gonna drop some knowledge, i'll be back with more later.

to speed up your egg throwing:
Let go, jump asap (common thing that slows ppl down/makes them look bad and sloppy),
_WAIT_ (when new ppl try to do this they always press up B instantly after jumping, dont do this!)
press UP+B, choose direction with control stick, then hold B for a set amount of time depending on how far/hard you wanna throw it

Crouching before parrying is kinda overrated and I think lots of people just do it because Vman does it everytime in eggstinction/his vids (loads of people even think you have to crouch to parry lol)
While crouching does make your hitbox smaller, it doesn't really help you as much as you would think.
The first frame you hit shield yoshi starts going into a crouch (this doesn't matter though since you're 100% invincible) and he holds this for 6 frames total.
All crouching does is lower your hitbox so it's a LITTLE easier to perform the parry at a few, very special situations.
The only time where it helps is when they stick out a hitbox, you are able to crouch under it without being hit and then the parry *hitbox* (which is the size of his normal shield) will pop up and be hit frame 1 of your parry. The only real example I can think of using crouching before parrying as a legit thing to do and not just a stupid stupid habit is to PowershieldParry a projectile (mid height falco laser for example, you can see me do this in a lot of vids if you need guidance).

Another common thing that people do wrong when parrying is that they cancel the parry animation too early (you should always try to time your jump on the 6th frame so you get 5 frames instead of 2-3 that most get). This makes it SO much harder to time the parry and its just crap overall.
The fact that parry window is so big is one of the reason that it's so good.
[Powershielding something is at most 2, and in most cases a 1 frame window!]

Also: doing DJC to Nair is stupidly overrated. I found myself using it a lot more in the past, but the more I play Yoshi the more I realize that its really not that good at all.

Heres the thing:
It is fast, but you don't need to be fast when you parry something because they lag too much anyway. Its a very bad punishment that doesn't give much reward in 99% of cases (15->25% space animals are really the only times its good for comboing). There are times where its good to use it to kill, but then you should often do just jump->nair to catch them in their hitlag so they don't have time to move.
Doing parry ->djl dsmash, just doing usmash/grab out of parry are also often better alternatives for killing anyway.

vs spacies/cfalcon you should try to do parry->djc uairs above 30%, mix in some parry->usmash during 15-60% range, and you can also parry->grab their main moves. At zero%, nair won't true combo into grab BUT most people just shield after so you're usually fine until you face really good players. I'd advice most people to just start using parry->fair/bair/grab instead since those are actually legit options at the lower%.

that's all for now

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I would advise NOT try to grab parries very much. They're much riskier and Yoshi's grab has terrible upwards range and is very slow. If they're the slightest bit above you the grab is probably going to miss.

Crouching before parrying is kinda overrated and I think lots of people just do it because Vman does it everytime in eggstinction/his vids (loads of people even think you have to crouch to parry lol)
Crouching originated from my video (Fumi doesn't crouch in his). Obviously people should learn how to do it without crouching too, but there's nothing wrong with crouching. You can even bait people that way by making them approach or something since they think you're going to parry. I do it all the time.

Oh and parry djc nairs are good vs almost everything since it's so fast. Parrying into any other aerials is way more situational. That doesn't mean not to try other aerials, the success rate is just going to be wayyy lower.

leffen

Smash Champion
uh oh, I ment grab parrying aerials, utilts, dtilts, ftilts, any smash attack? As long as you space it correctly you'll hit the grab everytime o_o.
easiest for new players is parry-> grabbing fox / falco spacings bairs... if you miss then you're just doing something wrong >_>

the thing with crouching is that foxes will just do dairs and falcos will go in with lasers, making it useless and they can just react on you crouching :o
its just bad overall, being predictable just sucks.

djc nairs aren't that fast ;o and for punishing spaced aerials like jiggs bair or marths fair parry->bair/fair/djc uair is better. Bair is faster, uair is the same speed because of how djc works.

DJC nair is just what you have to do when theres nothing better, its generally the option with the by far least reward so people should try to use it as little as possible unless it gives you a kill or you have no other options, which extremely rare (in most cases people just do it because its easy, scrub mentality ftl).

dunno what "success" rate that you're talking about. other aerials are used in more specific situations yes, but its not like its a random chance or a technical variable that is gonna determine if it hits or misses, its just how good you are.

but then again, low tier mains usually suck/have low goals/bad mentality so I guess that explains why most ppl just do random scrubby ****.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
But you knew it was the best option because you saw my video illustrating it, and read the thread where I stated it. No?

Hmmm all I know is that I never saw a parry in a real melee match before my video and guide. And I never saw parry to djc in fumi's video. As far as I know my video is the first ever example of someone parry djc nair countering aerials in melee.

Sooo I dunno where else you could have got it from. :)

I don't think it was a coincidence that nobody ever parried in real matches until after my video/guide. Major props to Shiri for outlining in his guide, but 99.9% of the Yoshi community either didn't understand how to do it or they didn't think it was realistic in real matches.

Not trying to be arrogant or anything, but it seems to me that my video/guide was the main influence in melee yoshis parrying in real matches. And it feels good to know I helped the Yoshi community with a major weapon in Yoshi's arsenal!

Just like fumi/you/leffen deserve major credit for taking Yoshi to a new level and showing the melee community his potential.
Haha, I mean I guess? for me at the time, idk what else i was going to do... I don't like Parry>Grab, I don't like Parry>Nair w/no DJC.. and parry DJC uair, I suppose could've been an option, but I'm not as accurate with those as I am, DJCNair..

As for your parrying video, I didn't even watch that first to learn how to parry, I had saw Fumi' "rosetto" and other of his videos, where I saw it, from there on, I simply just practiced and used "Trial and error" until I was able to parry frequently..using a lvl 9 ganondorf.. lol.

Your video guide was very useful indeed and i've used it for reference for other players but for me personally as a player, I didn't watch it until AFTER I was already consistent with parries...(in which I had used DJC>Nair, to me, I felt it was sheer coincidence.) Though yours came out long before mine, I honestly did not watch until after I had it down) I do admit, in the beginning of this thread, i had stated, I was unsure, and opinionated at the time, that I didn't believe parrying would be possible in the current metagame.. Luckily with just enough practice, I got very good at it in due time.

If anything the guide would be slightly more accurate, as I used that to understand the parry window(s) frame data etc... but even then, my knowledge of frame data sucks etc... I Leave that to strongbad or magus, or something.. and of course whatever I saw in that thread I suppose.. You also have to remember, nobody practiced parries in actual matches, etc, because there weren't many Yoshi players either, and to my understanding, they too may have believed parrying wouldn't be possible in today's metagame...

I can even vouch for Leffen, (I mean I'm sure he can too) but Leffen it wouldn't surprise me, if he hadn't seen it either, and if he has, I'm nearly positive it wasn't until after he got it down...

By all means i'm not trying to take anything away from you, and you still have helped the Yoshi community greatly, and it's very appreciated... just for me personally, i always want to make sure the person(s) that had the most influence on me, or rightly noted... and for me that's fumi hands down.. (granted because he was the only one I paid very close attention to, and I watched him before everyone else too., but if there were to be an order, you'd be 2nd. :)

Regardless you've done alot Sheermadness for everyone.. n_n; maybe not the most for me, but for many Yoshi players around. Either way your guide is amazing, and I think we can all appreciate it. :)

Another note: I also agree with leffen, on many low tier player mentalities, etc... I think if more players believed in themselves and had confidence, more low tier play would be noted... thats just my opinion... Hopefully I can repeat another Pound V performance, maybe do better this time too.. and if not me, Leffen will, (unless he gets sheiks, im sure Leffen will switch if he gets sheik)

EDIT: Random question, but Metal? did we play at Pound V btw? I feel we've met and played or something? or am I wrong? I'll answer afterwards, if leffen doesn't already, but I'm just curious ^^

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I didn't watch it until AFTER I was already consistent with parries...(in which I had used DJC>Nair, to me, I felt it was sheer coincidence.) Though yours came out long before mine, I honestly did not watch until after I had it down
Sorry dude but I don't believe that at all. You even crouch when you parry. I'm literally the only person you could have gotten crouching and parry djc nairs from. Fumi did neither of those in his video. Plus Fumi's video had been out for like 5 years. You just so happened to learn parrying from Fumi's 5 year old video AFTER my video and guide came out?

Oh AND you learned techniques only seen in my video that didn't even exist in Fumi's, but you didn't even watch my video???

Lol come on man, sounds like complete BS to me.

Your Yoshi is awesome (wayyy better than mine), and most people give you the credit for parrying anyway since way more people have seen your combo video than my instructional vid. That's fine with me.

I don't doubt that Fumi was your biggest inspiration but atleast acknowledge that you couldn't have learned parrying without my help.

leffen

Smash Champion
I didnt watch your vids either sheermadness lol. a local yoshi player told me. Stop thinking everyone needs to worship you dude >_> not saying your vids weren't good, but why be so ladylike over who did what first. Why would we lie over learning from your vids or not, we all know fumi and prob a few others knew this before us lol

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Sorry dude but I don't believe that at all. You even crouch when you parry. I'm literally the only person you could have gotten crouching and parry djc nairs from. Fumi did neither of those in his video. Plus Fumi's video had been out for like 5 years. You just so happened to learn parrying from Fumi's 5 year old video AFTER my video and guide came out?

Oh AND you learned techniques only seen in my video that didn't even exist in Fumi's, but you didn't even watch my video???

Lol come on man, sounds like complete BS to me.

Your Yoshi is awesome (wayyy better than mine), and most people give you the credit for parrying anyway since way more people have seen your combo video than my instructional vid. That's fine with me.

I don't doubt that Fumi was your biggest inspiration but atleast acknowledge that you couldn't have learned parrying without my help.
i understand, that you don't believe me, and it's not going to be my main objective to prove you wrong...Axe, AZ and everyone else that watched me learn Yoshi can tell you otherwise. I'm telling you, I didn't watch your video at all (until after I learned how to parry already) As for me crouching before I parried, I read it somewhere in the guide that said 'basically" crouching before a parry chance gave a better opportunity, because I suppose it has to do with the hitbox needing to be above Yoshi's saddle? or something like that? Like i said if anything it was the guide, that I read it from..

I'm still not taking anything away from you.. it was more or less I saw fumi's video with his parrying "that he doesn't crouch", and I simply just practiced it "with crouching because the "thread" had said a better hitbox chance or something" really nothin more... :(

I want to say that you were the main credit, etc... because you've helped me, but just not the main source, nor nearly as much as you may so believe you have, but I'm not going to lie to myself either.. ya know? No harm intended it's just the way it is....:( I'm sorry man. As for parrying without your help, I indeed learned from the thread (whether you made it whomever made it) but I learned from the THREAD not your initial video, and even then it was only the frame data things too.. :( not the concept itself.

The only REAL credit I got, was being able to back up my hype... I was very hyped, when I had developed a Yoshi, I released "eggstinction" and it was loved by everyone, but there were questions, if I could back it up w/tourney performance.. All i really did, was prove my abilities... I'm sure Leffen will do the same as me (if not better) and i"m hoping I can do the same with Roy this go around...

As Leffen as stated, I gain ABSOLUTELY nothing by lying to you.. I've not lied to anyone about anything on my smash career, and am a very nice person in general... I wouldn't start now, just to "protect my reputation" or anything like that.. it's simply how it is...

Have you seen Leffen's latest material? He has absolutely amazing material in his videos, and it's not necesarily because i don't know about it, Just leffen exploits it and uses such material, much, much better than I can at the moment.. but it doesn't mean I don't know the general ideas/concepts already...Leffen is simply expanding his game and fast..(not to mention he's already a tremendous player.) there's more i wanna say, but I'm not trying to offend you in any way, just defending myself is all.

@Leffen - you ready for apex? We gotta get some Roy/Yoshi teams+Friendlies in, should be epic, I can't wait to see your dino do some wrecking...

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Stop thinking everyone needs to worship you dude >_> not saying your vids weren't good
This coming from the guy that's been called arrogant by 30 different people in this thread lolol...

I just thought it was a little ridiculous that he was saying my guide had nothing to do with him learning how to apply parries. I mean he has a combo video full of techniques that had only ever been demonstrated by me (crouching, djc nair parries, and I specifically mentioned in the guide that parrying space animal aerials was the easiest. and all his parries were vs spacies aerials not stationally falcon punches like fumi demonstrated.).

But I guess he cleared it up a little and said my guide helped him a lot more than my video.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^Indeed. the guide did way more for me than your video did, I could've sworn i put that.. :( if not my apologies..:( but yeah.... and I find many aerials easy, not just spacies... just spacies are the most common opponent in videos... I had some falcon, jiggs, peach, in eggstinction too.. I tried to have some diverstiy, **** i had pika too haha

Engo

Smash Ace
Welcome to the Yoshi boards! n_n, which kind of advice would you potentially like? approach? combos? mindset? I mean many things come into equation.
I feel like the approaching was definitely one of the hardest things in those match ups for me so some advice regarding approaches against Falcon/Falco would definitely be helpful.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
EDIT: Random question, but Metal? did we play at Pound V btw? I feel we've met and played or something? or am I wrong? I'll answer afterwards, if leffen doesn't already, but I'm just curious ^^
Hah sorry Vman didn't see this question before. No I wasn't at Pound 5. I was the only person in your stream maybe a month or 2 ago. It was like realllly late and I was asking you Yoshi stuff lol. I'll be at Apex. we should play!

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Thanks for all the info Vman. Ylink has been my low tier main for awhile but I've really been liking Yoshi. Leffen amazes me, so do you of course. I would like to know how to approach fox and falcon. I am better vs Falco for some reason. Is there anything that Yoshi can do that is safe on shield? Cause I like to DJC>nair shields. But then I usually get grabbed :( should I not be doing that at all? Or should I do something after the nair? like DJC>Nair>Jab/grab? I really am lost when someone goes in shield and im already commited to a shorthop. Also HOW THE HELL do you do that egg throw ledgestall? Is it just double jump from ledge>upB? Im pretty sure it is. But I just cant get it. I suppose it's just timing though. I feel that bair is a good approach, good priority and safe. After I dthrow what do I follow up with? DJC>uairs are hard for me. I guess I just need to practice it. Can I just Dthrow>SH>Uair. I know I can but do you think I can follow it up? I really like edgeguarding with dash attack. Utilts are hard to hit ;[ When should I use a ftilt and how do I follow that up? When should I Dtilt and how should i use it? For spacing? Sorry I know I have alot of questions its just I was playing a lot of Yoshi lastnight and I wanted to ask you all this while it was still fresh.
Thank Vman you're the best! we need to play at Apex!
Haha, allrite i'll try to answer your questions in the order they were asked so here we go...

I'm glad you've been liking Yoshi, and am even happier, that you enjoy watching me+Leffen play, it's an honor.. Umm alrite. haha, and these are just my opinions, as Leffen may have some different ones, but I "like" DJCNair on shield, but depending on how it is spaced will determine how effective it can be.. I like to DJCnair>Jab>Dtilt>Ftilt, (this is the combination i'll use that "mostly" avoids me a shield grab, as usually one of these moves either hit (shield stab), or spaced enough to avoid a grab but even then it still can happen if spaced poorly.. What I would try to do is, when you're pressuring their shield, try and use your DJCNair, behind their character, to avoid possible shield grab chances... (you can even be tricky and start off in front of their shield, and end up behind it, using Yoshi's amazing aerial mobility and DJ.. Depending on your opponents shield patterns, you can use a combination of, DJCNair, Jab, Ftilt, Dtilt, Grab, many things.. :) Mixing Up Fsmash even can go for some insane mindgames, during shield pressure, as it evades a move as yoshi's head winds back, and then lunges forward for an attack.. :)

As for ECE/eggs from the edge, what I do is "Go away from the edge at a Diagonal angle, (so either your 4 o clock, or 8 o clock, Jump (I use X)+Up B (Props to leffen for using clock angles, took describing idea from him), best way to practice it, is to literally just practce it IMO..

At low damage after a D-throw, I attempt a Nair>Grab>Dthrow>Uair.. at higher percents i'll usually use Uair, and try to finish with Fair tech chases, or Nair, (situational, stage position dependent)

SH bairs, can be rather, intimidating, actually.. I believe it has some great uses, but I personally don't use this very much, although it seems to have grand opportunities (from what i've seen in leffens videos, perhaps he can further assist me on this)

You also could just Jump Uair, but in the Fastfallers MU's. I feel Uairs, have more opportunity for combos if they are DJC'd, or if there are platforms involved to further pursue your combos further. If you need to use a full jump uair to hit an opponent it should only be if within killing % otherwise I favor Fair (For tech chase opportunities, or Nair to just knock your opponent off stage) but this can be speculated as well, and is just my opinion on it.. n_n;

Many Yoshi's Utilt after landing a Fair, it's a very solid option, and probably one I should even use more often, WD>Utilt, might even surprise you as well.. =D Ummm Ftilt, after Fair also isn't a bad option either, just depends, I like using Fair, almost after any DJCnair, or to outprioritize, Fox/Falco/Falcon Nairs (certain hitboxes) Im sure leffen, Moo or someone will correct me just in case I'm incorrect, (I believe it has to be tilted upwards)

Dash attack as an edgeguard is very grand, (although I hate how ugly it may look, it's effectivness is rather noticed), since it's good enough knockback on recovering spacies.

Same thing goes for Dtilt, I like using running Dtilt, alot, and for gimping opportunities, or just for abusing it's registered knockback.. quick enough to give you some breathing room to respace/rethink, and the potential to kill too.. Definetely one of Yoshi's best moves :)

haha, and heck yeah Man, we should definetely play at Apex man! =D
Sorry if i wrote too much, but I do indeed hope all of this helps you ^^

I feel like the approaching was definitely one of the hardest things in those match ups for me so some advice regarding approaches against Falcon/Falco would definitely be helpful.
to help get yourself in, Use your mobility to try and bait, falcon, fox, into being vulnerable (to me i feel this is attacking behind their shields) you can use ECE to put them in a less comfortable spot, and use the platforms to either trap them, or get them in positions where maybe you can attack behind their shields.. (This is usually the main thing I go for, otherwise, I honestly don't know what I do to approach, I usually just move around enough to where i feel i can get in.. Baiting, moving etc.. (this is something I know leffen can explain much better than I can) :) Hope some of this helps, but i'm sorry.. :(

Hah sorry Vman didn't see this question before. No I wasn't at Pound 5. I was the only person in your stream maybe a month or 2 ago. It was like realllly late and I was asking you Yoshi stuff lol. I'll be at Apex. we should play!
repeated for epicness, but yeah we should play!!

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Sup yoshi boards.
I had an epiphany the other day.
After apex I'm gonna drop my fox and marth and start fresh with yoshi.

Yoshi has always been my low tier and I've always used him to mess around in friendlies but I think I'm gonna move on to strictly yoshi. In tourney, MMs and friendlies. (except for sheiks.. Lol I'll bust out my pocket fox)

But I wanna start uploading matches of mine for some help and stuff. I'm pretty excited about it. I though for a while that playing fox and marth and just going off of what has already been created was the way I should play but something just draws me to yoshi<3

If any of you guys will be at apex come up and say whats up!!! We'll get some matches in!

And I decided that I'm taking my talents to red yoshi:)

:phone:

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Sup yoshi boards.
I had an epiphany the other day.
After apex I'm gonna drop my fox and marth and start fresh with yoshi.

Yoshi has always been my low tier and I've always used him to mess around in friendlies but I think I'm gonna move on to strictly yoshi. In tourney, MMs and friendlies. (except for sheiks.. Lol I'll bust out my pocket fox)

But I wanna start uploading matches of mine for some help and stuff. I'm pretty excited about it. I though for a while that playing fox and marth and just going off of what has already been created was the way I should play but something just draws me to yoshi<3

If any of you guys will be at apex come up and say whats up!!! We'll get some matches in!

And I decided that I'm taking my talents to red yoshi:)

^Vman likes this ALOT...

Welcome to the Yoshi boards... n_n; I remember when I dropped my high tiers for Yoshi.. =D

Can't wait to see some videos ^^; We will all be glad to help ^^

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Lol vman.
Just want you to know..
At pound 5 I was playing a yoshi ditto vs theLake.
And you we walking I guess and heard the yoshi sounds and stopped and told how happy you were to see that.

It melted my heart. Let's play at Apex!

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Lol vman.
Just want you to know..
At pound 5 I was playing a yoshi ditto vs theLake.
And you we walking I guess and heard the yoshi sounds and stopped and told how happy you were to see that.

It melted my heart. Let's play at Apex!

Favoriting this post, and saving to use as my signature at a later time! <3

Haha, I remember that, woooot

<3 Carroll <3 Haha, Thanks Carroll, this comment means alot to me... Words can't express.. :)

It melts my heart you're playing Yoshi more now

WOOOOOOOOOOOT let's go Yoshi..

And heck yeah let's play at Apex! woooooooooooot

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Thanks Vman. You can't write enough, as I have much to learn.Is neutral B viable at all? If I land it what should I follow it up with?
EDIT: Is there any way I can practice parry with CPUs?

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
sorry on the late reply on your question about practicing parry vs CPU's but what I did, was practice vs Lvl 9 ganons, and practice parrying him... He will usually use Utilt, Forward+B, and Warlock punch, all these moves have a noticeable amount of startup, so it's a good way to practice parrying too.. ^^

I like fighting Marth, My (Kirbykaze reference) "Hit list" or resume of playing vs marth is very good.. I've beaten most of the top level marths with my Yoshi, i'm missing a few such as Tai, Niko, Diakonos, I.B, but the rest are on my "hit list" :p

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Madness, your posts are validating my hypothesis that you have to be a deluded **** to play Yoshi.
Thanks dude. Sorry I'm not above human nature. You know the part where it's natural for us humans to seek validation/credit when you feel like you accomplished something or helped other people.

It's why you see leffen in here being so arrogant.

It's why VMan has an entire thread dedicated to giving people his opinions.

And It's why I was a little irked when someone made it sound like they learned parrying all by themselves when it was very apparent that they couldn't have done it without my guide/video.

Human nature brochacho. If it makes me arrogant that I want a little credit for helping the melee/yoshi community to finally learn/apply parrying then i guess I'm arrogant.

Aside from that I've been nothing but complementary towards any Yoshi.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
WTF do I do vs Marth? Lol. I need to practice my Yoshi comboes. But I have no tv :/
And I just realized how easy shield dropping is.

leffen

Smash Champion
yoshi is feeling dead to me atm.
hes so boring for me now for some reason.
considering dropping him for a while, dunno what i'll do at apex.
I know I promised that I'd go yoshi, but I dunno if its still worth it when I think hes boring too (aside from the fact that I'll most likely place worse).

It'll all depend on how I'm feeling on the day of the tournament, yoshi is so inconsistent to begin with and I need to try him in NTSC before I make a choice....
I know that he is worse, i dont really care about that and I don't think it makes that much of a difference.
My main problem is that hes different, so that I have to change the way I recover/edgeguard/combo and this is added to other characters changes. I can't play NTSC here because it'd be black N white which sucks... and when I arrive in the US I'll be heavily jetlagged and then all of melee'll be played out in a few hours >_>

whupwhup happy holidays ppl.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
yoshi is feeling dead to me atm.
hes so boring for me now for some reason.
considering dropping him for a while, dunno what i'll do at apex.
I know I promised that I'd go yoshi, but I dunno if its still worth it when I think hes boring too (aside from the fact that I'll most likely place worse).

It'll all depend on how I'm feeling on the day of the tournament, yoshi is so inconsistent to begin with and I need to try him in NTSC before I make a choice....
I know that he is worse, i dont really care about that and I don't think it makes that much of a difference.
My main problem is that hes different, so that I have to change the way I recover/edgeguard/combo and this is added to other characters changes. I can't play NTSC here because it'd be black N white which sucks... and when I arrive in the US I'll be heavily jetlagged and then all of melee'll be played out in a few hours >_>

whupwhup happy holidays ppl.
I know people will criticize you for "copping out" if you go Fox, but I think it would be a reasonable compromise to go Fox in bracket and then just make sure you MM a lot of people with your Yoshi (to prove to everyone how good it is, haha). I know if I were a high-level player going to Apex, I'd want to pick the character that I would be most likely to win with (especially to minimize "what if" situations and regrets later).

leffen

Smash Champion
I don't really care about people complaining that I "cop out". Every nonignorant person that I've talked about on the subject thinks I should just go Fox since it costs over 1000 dollars to go, but I've always said against it because I had real fun playing him... until these last couple of weeks D;

Beat!

Smash Master
The only person I can think of off the top of my head who would probably accuse you of copping out is Battlecow, and you said you wouldn't care anyway.

Fox things up. You know you want to.

Varist

Smash Lord
No worries, I had told you Leffen, a LONG time ago, that you'd go Fox/Falco at apex.. It's not that I didn't believe you'd do it. Just compared to versions, Yoshi's much more usable in PAL, then in NTSC. Not to mention like I said, as well, You have to pay thousands of dollars just to get over here, and for you to play Yoshi, would significantly ruin your chances of placing here.

Don't worry about what people say man, You're a good player, I know that, and most importantly YOU know that.. :) Go fox, and do some business..

If anything, I'll represent Yoshi for us. I'm used to Yoshi's differences in NTSC, and I feel I can do a repeat performance of what I did at Pound V, (hopefully better) if anything I'll play Yoshi for us, and i sure Carroll, and whomever else goes to apex.. :)

<3 you Leffen, don't worry about what others say/do. I got Yoshi covered, (though I'm tryna do the Roy thing)

n_n

-Vman on Varist account (since Im currently in El Paso visiting, but I met new players. :p

leffen

Smash Champion
thanks guys, I still dunno what to do though ;) I'll practice yoshi some so I at least have the option of using him if I feel goooood.

lol vman I was like WTF who are you until the last sentence <3

Engo

Smash Ace
Could anyone link me to some yoshi vs marth matches that I could watch to get a feel for what yoshi should play like against him. I'm having huge problems against my brother's marth and I always feel like I can't move around or do anything without being in his range. The only combo I seem to get is utilt into a couple of upairs but I'm never sure how to finish it. When it comes to grabs I usually downthrow into one or two uptilts but they don't lead into me eventually taking off a stock.

Some advice would be great but I'm really just looking for some Yoshi vs Marth matches to watch.I've been looking through vectorman's matches and haven't been able to find any.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I've a set vs Axe's Marth, that I haven't put up on the net.. It's somewhat old, and has some good material... I'd recommend searching for Leffen videos too.. :)

Top Bottom