• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^This, I indeed used Yoshi vs Blackchris (he requested it first match), so I used him in a match.. otherwise.. I did indeed go Roy! :)

My roy is very close, I may not have made bracket with him, but I got first seed with him in round 1, and I feel I can further develop my Roy, and do some damage at another tourney perhaps... It's disapointing to not make bracket, but I REALLY needed to see if I could do it with Roy... I'll get there eventually..

At other tournaments, I may/may not wise up, and just play a character to make sure I get out of bracket etc, but making to bracket with Falco/Yoshi, any chars I've already done it with, won't mean as much to me, as if I do it with Roy.. Remember I'm on a mission here. :) .. but then I can't say that I made it to bracket with Roy, if I don't actually do it either.. :)

I'll keep my word.. :) I can make it to brackets with Roy, I KNOW I can, and I won't stop until I do.. It's my motivation, and it will drive me.. :)

In other news, shoutouts to Leffen, Carroll, and many more.. I'll do more shoutouts later.. zzzzz time for now.. :)

Either way all was fun

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
yo quick shout out to vman

not sure if you remember me but i was a peach you played on day two. it was fun playing you and i think if i got another match or two i might of been able to take your yoshi since i think i kinda figured out the MU at the end of r second match. but no johns you r mad good and prove yoshi has more potential then people give him credit for. and on top of that you r a real nice chill guy and it was real nice meeting you. Also i can live with the fact i beat your falco but next time that yoshi is going down :)

edit: i guess leffen visits this thread so...

I only got to play your fox once i think and i was not playing that well against you. dont get me wrong i am not saying i think i would of beaten you but i just want you to know i am better then I played. day 3 was weird for me were ether i was fire or cold as ice (sleep johns). not much else to say b/c i really only met u for a quick sec. hopefully next time I will be able to show u what i got

soju

SD God
So i played yoshi at WGF in friendlies for like 4 hours straight. Realized I want to pick him up because of his super armor and double jump shenanigans. Also, Lil Fumi is a hype Yoshi, sadly I didn't play him. How does one switch off between a genderless green dinosaur or a yellow electric rodent, because my pikachu was mad akward after all that yoshi playing. Anyways I'll be around here more often

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Wow, the yoshi boards are so dramatic. Y'all need some camaraderie.

What percent is dtilt not CCable by spacies?

:phone:

t3h Icy

Smash Master
@Soji: Yoshi is quite possibly the most unique character, so playing him and others can be a big switch. Maybe once you've played Yoshi more then switching back and forth won't be as hard.

soju

SD God
Alrighty, well I basically picked up the character in 4 hours, but anyways doesn't dtilt have a set knockback? So its either CC'd all the time or can't be CC'd, I haven't checked yet. And Yoshi isn't really a bad character, he's just different XD

soju

SD God
Alright, I thought so, can any aerials can be jumped out of after short hopping it? I haven't really been able to find the timings for the moves and am thinking I might just have to fullhop and use the 2nd jump to fix the distance. And how does the knockback change between the different angled ftilts?

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Dtilt's set knockback is nice for low percent gimps, particularly on spacies. At higher percents though, Dsmash is a better ground option since it has much better knockback then, and even comes out 2 frames earlier.

Yoshi can also jump from the edge and Dair for gimps, just make sure you have your second jump for recovering. Running off the edge (not jumping) and Dairing also works for when the opponent is further down.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
You can do two aerials out of a shorthop by canceling his b-air early with a jump, but it's frame perfect, and you have to start the b-air almost as soon as you get off of the ground, otherwise doing the jump will cause a DJL. It's hard and of the 4 or so years I've known about it, I've only been able to do it consistently on stages with slants, like yoshi's story, or DK64, to make sure I don't DJL(doublejump land), and even then not effectively. It's like some guilty gear ****.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
for the most part yeah i think so.
there are some MUs that i still prefer going high tiers
ill use fox for marth/shiek
marth for falco

but just anything else ill probably go yoshi.

be on the look out for some vids. ill be MMing some peeps with my yoshi

King5280

Smash Journeyman
ill be there. lets play some friendlies i wanna pick your brain about yoshi a little. i wanna pick him up to play around with. if toadster goes i wanna see you two play yoshi dittos too haha

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Soooo I keep getting wrecked by a va Jiggs. Sniff sniff when there spacing is on point I have a very hard time getting in. I'm going to take some tips an try and wait as long as possible before I attack. Tilts and jabs are great, But they are usually slow or just not strong enough to get me anywhere near a good situation. Any suggestions about the match. Edgegaurding has actually become a problem too.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
so instead u just want to be another fox, i mean its a good thing u want to use fox b/c the world is lacking in fox players. Yoshi is so common i can see why u wouldn't want to use him and be unique.

its to bad u dont have the urge to play yoshi but u got to do what feels right to u (character wise)

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Just a handful of questions for the frequent visitors:

(1) I've begun platform cancelling the main stage from the ledge; I've managed to do this fairly quickly and consistently and was wondering how this might compare to Yoshi's ledge dash. Might it be faster? If I had access to the debug menu I'd do so myself, but sadly I don't. =/

(2) Am I correct that when egg dropping from platforms that it's not the incorrect angle of the analog stick, but the speed of the movement that determines whether you spot dodge instead of appropriately executing it?

(3) Might it be more beneficial to double-jump wave dash instead of simply using the initial jump? I feel there may be a good chance to gain more distance. It might also be safer due to the weight increase* and also more strategic since you can change which direction Yoshi faces afterwards (something very useful for spacing due to the unfortunate size of Yoshi's schnoz). I understand that the extra frames won't affect vulnerability, but how many frames longer would it take before you could execute a move afterwards?

*Doesn't Yoshi's weight expound immediately after executing a DJ? A few frames later? If the prior, it seems DJWDing would be much more beneficial.

(4) What is the relationship between the percentages Yoshi can be stunned at after his DJ and the knockback of the move that hits him?

Thanks, guys! =]

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
4)Usually the stronger the knock back of the move the earlier yoshi can be hit out. Its best to assume most things break at 80. Stronger hits can knock yoshi out earlier. Even when knocked out of dj He still will be knocked back much less than he would have otherwise unless you perform an attack to cancel the dj.

3) And yes DJWDing is great for yoshi. That extra weight at the begining of yoshi's second jump coupled with being extremely low to the ground makes it very safe against most physical attacks not to mention the distance. Just don't DI down into a down smash from peach. that ish would hurt. Also from my experience I haven't noticed any extra land lag from doing a djWDing. I don't know the frame data off the top of my head. I'm sure the stickies or SWD data might have them.

2) I believe your talking about Shield Dropping. If so i found it to be more consistent when doing it faster and with a small quarter circle down motion instead of just hitting a random angle downwards.

1) Platform canceling a nair might be faster I'm sure strong bad would be able to answer that question in his frame advantage thread.

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Also from my experience I haven't noticed any extra land lag from doing a djWDing.
I was just referring to the frames you add by performing a DJ amidst the AT. Those add to the total frames of the move, therefore it will take x frames longer to produce a move afterwards.

2) I believe your talking about Shield Dropping. If so i found it to be more consistent when doing it faster and with a small quarter circle down motion instead of just hitting a random angle downwards.
I think both are essentially doing the same thing; both have the same timing, it's just that yours has a longer route to take, so you can afford to execute it quickly. The quarter-circle may avoid directly spot-dodging because it avoids the "tap" the analog would register if you had chosen the more direct route. Since I can see the end-motion of the quarter-circle being executed gently simply due to the sheer movement you make, you may not get punished as easily. So I don't think the quick quarter-circle makes you shield-drop any faster, just allows an alternate way to perform it.

Just a theory; I could be wrong.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
When i was saying faster i was only talking about hand movement in completing the action. For me I loose consistency if I go too slow. I'm sure your right about all shield drop techniques being the same speed when executed.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
A smash bros player in galtinburg?! I lived in Pigeon Forge a year ago, and I kind of main Yoshi.... wish we could have played... :o Yoshi question!!!

When yoshi is recovering from a hit that knows him deep off of the stage, and he can recover with an air dodge, what is the best angle to get closer to the stage if you are not sure if you can make it? Up and toward the stage?

Superspright

Smash Lord
This is probably known, but Yoshi gets free no impact lands if he does an aerial during his DJ at the right time. Which is useful--but if I use Z for it, and hold it then shielddrop he drops incredibly fast. It's a great fake out and he can do it from any height in the second jump. He can just land on platforms and drop within a couple frames, and it's very very easy. Might be useful to beat anyone trying to come down with a good dair like falco.

Does anyone know how lightshield->powershield works? I'm good at powershielding and parrying, but I just don't understand the lightshield trick with powershield so well.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I've actually been coming up short in the jiggz match up recently. I have some knew tricks i'm going to try in the upcoming tourney. Long story short the problem in this match up comes with the air battle. Sure yoshi hits strong. But jiggs like peach has a lot of priority and can knock you out of you dj pretty early. She also out ranges most of your attacks. It can be done but it is an up hill battle. Like the guy stated earlier its probably no better than pika. Plus pika can wavedash out of shield or just up smash out of shield. Yoshi actually has to catch jigs hitting a shield for him to parry. If she every feints then goes in, he's kinda screwed.

With light powershielding you get the powersheild frame advantage along with no shield damage from attack and you will carry the momentum of the attack if it hits right.

Inty17

Smash Journeyman
Someone please teach me this character. PLEASE!?!?! I started playing him last Friday and I wanna know so much. And I can't quite get the parrying time down, but I want to learn. Any pointers?

Top Bottom