• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

leffen

Smash Champion
UM. UH. ty, but honestly I feel like that was the worst yoshi match I played all tournament ><. I ***** pools and then 3 falcos straight in bracket and then got a headache and wanted money so I went falco a little... And then I changed my mind (or well, the headache went away) and played for fun only instead but I had lost all yoshi flow so I just went falco lololol.'

/rant

tyvm

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Good stuff Leffen! :)

Making yoshi's proud :)

@Leffen- you weren't necessarily playing bad.... you weren't playing nearly as well as it seems you could have...your execution, could be better....and ofc "parries" do some wonders on spacies... parrying alone.. is a major key that got me wins vs azen, weon-x, and kept me in control vs spacies.. at Pound V, and to bracket even...I'm sure it can do wonders for you as well. n_n

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
@Leffen,
hmm yeah, I didn't see much of parrying or djc counters or even shield pressure, but other than that, your movement overall looked pretty darn solid.

Looking forward to more yoshi vids from you eventually haha

leffen

Smash Champion
I usually spam Powershields / parrys vs falco... I almost never miss parrys on lasers etc.., tbh I just wasnt in my Yoshi mode (CW also didnt want me to play Yoshi ;D)) and he suffers so hard from random flubbs >_>. But still, I wanted to get something recorded from going almost all Yoshi at a big tournament, idc if I lost the set lolz.

Parrying is pretty hard vs a great falco/fox like CW who is already used to mixing it up vs perfectly excecuted powershield->dsmashes (Armada :<) but I used it pretty well in friendlies vs him ;D

also its fun making every falco suprised/start to argue against me when I tell them the matchup is one of the hardest in the game.

I'm going to Finland this thursday, I dont know if I'm going to play yoshi or not but honestly I'm leaning towards playing falco/fox to make some cash (the genesis roadtrip will cost a fkn fortune >:)
and there isn't supposed to be any recording anyways >_>.

leffen

Smash Champion
Lol, I has fanboys omgomgomg.

naah, but good news guys, there will be recording in finland so I will try to get as much as possible recorded lol.

leffen

Smash Champion
placed 2nd at the tournament, went mostly falco (some yoshi although I played kinda bad...******** schedule with brawl and melee brackets going on at the same time made me go falco >_>).

about ~10 hours of yoshi footage got recorded tho ;D

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
good stuff!!

yoshi boards have been lookin a lil bleak, Many Yoshi players are willing to help new players, let's not let this thread die....Leffen, Lil Fumi, Nogz, Girku, Mind trick i'm sure i'm missing others, are still active Yoshi's. Just because I've retired doesn't mean i'm not willing to pass on any knowledge i've accumulated... :) I'm sure i've still got it for the most part n_n

Let's go Yoshi boards..

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Mmm.. heh, this thread wont die. I lurk around way to much for that to happen. :p

Looking forward to any sort of new yoshi footage.

* also... i found some of Mindtricks recent matches a little while ago.
I was gonna let him post them here himself, but i suppose I could leave this link here.
>>>http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=302267 (in the loser bracket near the bottom of the first post)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Seeing posts from Bringer and Moo on the same page made me smile. :D

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
is there any particular reason why i can never watch any of leffen's matches?
It makes me sad:((

*I blame my lappy :/

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Your media player probably can't handle the .mkv extension,
VLC would be a good choice.

Edit because nobody posts here anymore.
I'm finally at the point where I'm completely done with yoshi, everyone in my region knows how to play the matchup and the good players abuse his weaknesses even more to the point it's just not worth the effort to deal with stupid broken stuff lol. Safe for the occasional low tier stuff that somehow recently was an event again (=D), consider me a fox main =P

~Twitch~

Smash Master
cullowhee, nc western carolina university
man...i'm tryin to play yoshi more but my brother just camps me and destroys me when i try to approach cuz he's figured out yoshi's weaknesses. gaaay my brother is the best in the world...oh well, i always manage to get a stock off. :)

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Although ruby just random as **** popped out of nowhere with a post, there is a lot of thruth in his post lol

I went 100% fox yesterday at a small tourney at zgetto (~20 people but the elite 4 + amsah all present lol) and I did better than I ever would if I had played Yoshi. Finished 7th but I feel like I'm closing the gap if only a little bit to the top players slowly. Funny thing is I don't even own a gamecube anymore and hardly play, but I still keep up with vids and think about the game.

I used to think Yoshi still had potential to be discovered, but honestly I can't see him ever competing with (most if not all of) the top tiers. Vman did an awesome job at that one big national where he made bracket, but I feel like it was mostly just because no one in america has EVER played a Yoshi. For every new strategy/trick/combo/whatever you come up with for Yoshi, the people you play will get better at the matchup and just abuse your glaring weaknesses, at least that's how I strongly feel right now.

I'd like to hear how Vman experienced his pool matches with Amsah, one of the few people who had MU experience at that tourney (I can't remember which one it was lol, pound?)

leffen

Smash Champion
meh mind trick stop wussing out. All of your problems come from you being the worse player and not tapping yoshis true potential tbh.

You get a new combo. They adapt more to Yoshi. You adapt more to then. Still an overall gain.
Your problem is though, that you rely waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on gimmicks and stuff that has true counters. Yoshi has a lot of legit **** that doesnt have a hard counter but I never see you use them.

And what are Yoshis "glaring weaknesses"? Cause I dont see em. And before you say anything about matchup experience, Im pretty sure the people I play have WAY more experience on how to counter yoshis underlying weaknesses (mainly because I tell them and because of Svampen).

random shizz:

Just came home from a national tournament, placed 2nd in teams and in singles. I didnt use Yoshi at all since I'm preparing for genesis 2. Not using yoshi is not because the character, but simply cause I have too little experience with him so far.., considering that I am aiming to win G2.

But I think Im going Yoshi only at BEAST2, so if you come mindtrick we can figure out your problems together ;D

Lost to Armada, but almost all of the matches were 1stock high % and I managed to take a game of him last weekend (not recorded though). Decent, but no way close to good enough ;F

Recorded some yoshi footage vs Falco and Fox that really shows how **** parrying really is (I need to practice some more on parrying vs fox tho) and other stuffzies like a few easy 0-death combos on spacies etc ;>

Top Bottom