• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Is Axe's CG a real CG? or is pseudo and takes advantage of reaction time, but can still be rolled out of like Marth's fthrow ish?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
People're so obsessed with "true this" and "true thats". If it works, why not do it?

Like seriously, you can break out of almost anything, if you know what you're doing. There are very very few guaranteed things. Between smash DI and fast wiggling, there really isn't much that's "for sure".

AXE 09

Smash Master
it looks like that against marth, at 0%, if they DI fully to the left or to the right, shorthop tailspike into regrab cannot be broken out of. i tested it a lot against my friend today, and no matter what, if he DI'd in either direction, i could GUARANTEE 2 regrabs, and at the third one, it's safe to do tailspike into upsmash

the only thing that sux is.... if they for some reason decide not to DI, then you really can't do anything lol. you could full jump neutral or up air, but that's about it haha.

BTW, i tried it against sheik too, and for some reason, it was kinda weird.... like for some reason i couldn't get the tailspike on him after the U throw. it's just weird, but it works sooooo perfect against marth

anyways, the thing is, when you tailspike marth, as long as he's at a low enough percent where he does not fall down, it seems like you're always guaranteed to get a regrab on him as long as he DI's

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Heh. That's funny.

But yeah, here's why I'm really here. The other day I saw consecutive hits when I U-throw U-smashed on a no DI Sheik out of boredom and frustration while trying to make her DI in front of me. Does this work? At 0 you seem to be able to charge to get the strong hit, and slightly higher low percents (say, 25) it seems you have to settle for the weaker hitbox (but not the awful one).

N64

Smash Champion
I actually don't know KK. I always assumed it didn't I guess, so I'd usually dthrow -> techchase at that percent. Grabbing sheik at all is a scary proposition.

If so, you could probably uthrow->usmash->uair spike->chase into either a regrab or just some dashdancing/shielding to see what sheik does (which is usually panic and downsmash or dodge or roll) and react accordingly.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think it might work up to 35%+

I think for the sweetspot it stops ~11%

His U-smash seems to have much more vertical range than I thought.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey I thought of this a long time ago as pichu but this is easier as pikachu and more likly to happen. SH up-air before you can L-cancel maybe double upaair(unlikly) or upair 2nd jump dair or maybe fair

upair last 27 frames
SH time 34
pichu's sh time 33 :( lucky pikachu

festizzio

Smash Champion
Short hop double uair is possible with Pikachu, and it does have some uses, but I think it's just better to fast fall the first uair and auto-cancel it. Although the second one is quite surprising...

AXE 09

Smash Master
so ummmmm.............

i FINALLY won my 1st tournament today! i finally beat forward!!! i love you pikachu lol

AXE 09

Smash Master
lol! hopefully they'll be up sometime ^^

i used pikachu and falco lol. forward's fox is really hard to fight with pika o.O he camps me -_- then randomly attacks out of nowhere when i don't expect it

WakingTheFallen

Smash Cadet
awesome job congratz man. i saw your combo video and i was shocked at how good you are at pika haha. i totally underestimated the yellow dude.

BankaiPwn

Smash Cadet
Axe: Absolutely love the pikachu combo video, definately a huge factor on my recent decision of which main to play. (Props to vectorman on the making of the video, it's absolutely amazing).

Can't wait to see more videos, <3 em =D

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
good LORD Axe...ugh.

*falls over from blue-balls suffering*

In other news.

Ask about Pikachu?

Question:
How does he do as a teammate for Ness?

Answer:
N64 and I are about to find out at RoM2.

Get at us.

Also.

If anyone can top the teamname "toastachu and ness64"

please let us know XD

N64

Smash Champion
<3 toasty. lets **** teams.

Also goooooooood stuffffffff axe. Nice comeback game 3 mangz. I wish i was that good against marfs heh.

AXE 09

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0J1fF_yXuk

here's a little bit more... Light's freakin crazy lol. he beat forward in the winner's bracket, but then lost 2-3 in losers. he's VERY good. here's the last match for the heck of it but i played falco :/ haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0yxscUUGtI&feature=channel

n64 and toasty are gonna ****!!! omg!! i'm excited for you guys lol.

*leaving for pat's house today*

oh and... that was the 1st time i actually beat him in grand finals. the other time i beat him was just in the winner's bracket. but i was still so excited lol! every time i win i like... jump out of my seat and i'm like yes!!!!!!!!! ahahaha

you rock NESnoob :p

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
when I first saw the post, I thought you said "jesus axe christ" which made me nod in approval and laugh at the same time

but yessss we'll **** the balls off of everrryyythinnnggggg!!!

alt team name: No Sheiks Plox ;__;

hehe, in teams it's not AS bad so nah, we'll still ****! ^_^

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
axe those vids are awesome. great wins bro your pikachu is unbelieveeeeable. i've learned a lot of tips from you so thanks lol.
good luck N64 and toasty. i semi main pikachu and i need some tips in teams (since i can't play falco in teams (i die too fast with him haha)). i may be going to ROM2 so maybe i can ask for some pika tips there :)

in the meantime i want to train my pikachu so that when i go to a tournament i don't mess up anything techskill related (so if i lose i know if was something to do with spacing/mindgames). it's pretty easy to train with falco since there is all of those laser techniques needed to master, jc shines, waveshining, pillaring, etc. but for pikachu i can't think of much. here is what i practice on a regular day basis against a lvl1cpu:
-WDing
-JC grabs
-shffl aerials
-rising uair (and now i am going to practice rising uair->waveland on platform...saw in your vids and it worked a lot thanks axe)
-DDing (just trying to make it unpredictable)
-wavelanding off of the ledge (i don't know what you call that lol)
-fair->dsmash off of ledge (BTW is it safe to do this on stage if you know the fair will hit them/hit their shield?)
-shffl nair->usmash (if the nair hits them in front ya know) and also shffl nair->rising uair if the nair hits them behind.

and that's about it. so basically i just keep playing against lvl1cpus while doing all of these things. i just want to get all of the techskill related stuff down for pikachu and i know if shouldn't be hard since there isn't that much since Pika is all about spacing mostly i think :). did i cover everything i need up there? thanks.

N64

Smash Champion
Looks good and thanks for the support. Hope to see you there.

As far as technical stuff, pika doesn't have much that's flashy by itself. Mostly i'd suggest just getting down the basics (WDing, JC grabs, L-cancelling, DD variations, usmash out of shield, etc.) to make sure you're comfortable with all of them. What's probably going to be most useful is the ability to space yourself and not drop combos. For this, get comfortable with pikachu's movement, and also try to get comfortable with positioning your aerials. I.E. often when someone is off the edge I will falling fair through them (which puts me below them after the aerial) and then go for a uair spike to kill. Always be comfortable with the range, duration, and end position aerials give you from certain starting positions so that you can do your best to control and punish their escape/counterattack options.

If you want something flashy that makes you feel good, do quickattack edgehogs from the stage or try ledgecancelling quickattacks on stage platforms.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I have 2 Q's.

Is nair very good for combos?

Is battlefield a good stage for pikachu?

I hope I,m not right if so wow I,m right and that can't be right because I have to be wrong all day long.

N64

Smash Champion
I think battlefield is a mediocre stage for pikachu, so you should really only go there if it wrecks the opponent's char for some reason. It's also kinda bad vs. sheik and marth I think, but honestly I'm not any more afraid of anyone else there, you just usually have a better CP stage than that for most matchups.

Nair can be good for combos. Usually it's just a safe aerial for adding damage, but it can combo into something else at low percentage, and can knock down spacies and force them to tech for possible techchase option. Its knockback isn't spectacular, especially if you hit late, and pika's airspeed is pretty decent so often you can chase after people after the nair, so even though you don't usually have a true combo opportunity you can still be close enough to them after the aerial that they have to respond by attacking/avoiding you and if you can read them then you can punish whichever defense option they choose with another attack.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i shouldn't compare pichu and pikachu should I. I always liked battlefeild for pichu because F-smash is much better for edge gaurd, it doesn't cut your recovery, ceiling not to high or low, other people have probelms with the edge and it's really only for up-B tricks. nair is decent for combos but not great like you said.

Thanks what's the best place for marth? I think DL64 but it kills the up-smash so yeah. BUt i think I prefer ice climbers vs marth(somehow it's fun).

festizzio

Smash Champion
It seems like many tournaments (at least in my area) are adopting Pound 4's ruleset, and if this becomes permanent, Pikachu could lose one of, if not his best counterpick: Corneria. The only "replacement" (in quotes because nothing can really replace Corneria) is Pokemon Stadium, but counter-picking that against a Fox is not such a good idea.

So I guess my question is, will Pikachu have an all-around counter-pick stage with Corneria gone? Or will they all be character specific? Like DL64 for spacies, Stadium for Jiggs, etc.

N64

Smash Champion
You can run away from marth a lot on Corneria, so that's probably your best bet. Though it's banned in the new SBR suggested stagelist. PS can also be ok, pika tends to do better on the transformations than marth, and low ceiling means early usmash kills. DL64 is also alright, you just have to focus on gimping. You have plenty of recovery options there though.

I wouldn't compare pichu much to pika. I used to main pichu eeeeeeeeearly in my smash career and still play him occasionally, and his style seems entirely different to me. I'd suspect they wouldn't share many CP stage picks.

Double chu would be hot toasty.

Edit for festizzio: I never felt pika had an all-around CP anyhow. I guess i never really was dedicated to playing gay on corneria, so I didn't pick it as often (though pika is probably a beast against a decent number of chars if he wants to just jolt/fin camp all day). Plus, everyone secondaries fox or falco, so they'd pull them out any time I CP corneria anyways.

My favorite CP is still FoD, but I know a lot of pikas don't really like it. I think the platform heights are fantastic. You can duck under the side platforms and upsmash, or jump onto the platforms and dsmash to catch everyone except like pichu/ness that is below them. They can also help you escape CGs. Also the sides are relatively wide so you don't die so super fast, and not many chars outside of marth actually like that stage vs. Pika.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
pichu and pikachu's bestest things are pichu shorter recovery edges are much harder to sweetspot trust me pikachu's is uber easy if you compare, pikachu wants up wards kills a lot more pichu a little more sideways but still good upwards killpower. pichu's grabs are better it's fact. pichu can do more with up-B ON stage pikachu can do more OFF stage. think of what it would be like to be able to use pikachu's up-B around the stage with zero lag and zero damge platforms become more important but not a lot more like to sheik camping or anything. The range and sheild things pikachu has a really bad sheild pichu has a really good one that and forget what you know about upair and your smashes still good but I think they are down graded a bit but still good.

platforms and grabs for better for pichu than pikachu and you don't need as much space to recover

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I like FoD vs Pikachu because of **** U-smash combos by Sheik.

Awwww yeah.

But N64 knows about my mental condition so he understands. And appreciates that said strategies are illogical.

Top Bottom