• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

N64

Smash Champion
Pika does alright against campy CFs, you just have to make sure you don't get into blind chase mode, as they'll punish you. I use fair a lot in this matchup as you can jump towards them and fair and it covers a lot of their get-around-you options. Then follow up with rising uair->combo. I don't jolt that often, as he'll just jump over it and you and then you're at the same spot, or he'll knee through it and hit you anyways. Once you catch him, keep on him and you can often get a kill from just techchasing him into a bthrow/nair->edgeguard.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
I really like Dtilt as my main approach. It seems to be very safe, and when you hit someone with it you can usually follow up with a shffl Nair or grab because they're usually too slow to react lol. But if you want an actual combo approach, Nair is the way to go. Just be careful, because if you miss then you're pretty likely to get punished once you land. However if you hit them with it, you can usually combo with either a Dtilt, Ftilt, Usmash:), Dsmash, or another Nair.

Running full jump thunderjolt is a very good approach for those who are too afraid to attack through it. I recommend trying this at least once. If your opponent attacks through it, I probably would never try it again. However if their reaction is to block or try anything else other than attack, then this approach works very well especially since it combos into Usmash most of the time.

Running Dsmash is a good approach for catching someone off guard. Many people I fight will run into it. Be careful though because if they're smart enough to not run into it, you will get punished. I recommend to also try this at least once and see what happens.

If all else fails, approach with a running SH -> Waveland backwards. Most people's reaction is to try to grab you once you land, but your waveland will make them miss the grab. Counterattack during the lag of their grab with a Usmash or a grab of your own (or maybe another move if you wanna mix things up). Hope this helped :)
Thanks alot! Of course it helped since im getting information from one of the best Pikachu mains lol :)

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
RUnning jolt is a bad idea as a consistant approach imo. It's very easy to counter, or at least hit, because it has very horrible priority. I don't use it that often because people usually find ways around it, even people who don't know that I'm going to do it, simply because it has bad priority. Nair can work in the same situation anyway, and it less punishable and can lead to a lot of the same follow ups. Not that jolt isn't a decent mixup occasionally, it just shouldn't be considered as the best option.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I have a question? Where od you aim it? and when do you use it?

I'm very careful when I use it I am sure to space it perfectly and hit them in idea places like gannon hit him in the face no up moves so he is forced to sheild or beat it with an air attack

AXE 09

Smash Master
I like to use it after I hit someone somewhat far away as a techchase if they either tech in place or tech away. In other words, I'll use it when I know that they won't have enough time to SHFFL an aeriel attack to beat it out because of the lag after being hit.

As just a plain approach, I don't use it anymore against high level players because they always attack through it. I randomly decided to try it at Apex a few times and got punished every single time. Some people don't think about attacking through it though. Those are the kinds of people who you want to use it against :)

Sometimes it works to do a running Full Jump thunderjolt, then as soon as you can after you leave the ground, hold backwards. You'll fall back behind your thunderjolt a decent amount, and your opponent might attack your thunderjolt with a laggy move (Fox Usmash, Marth Fsmash) thinking that you're following your jolt. You can then punish =)

N64

Smash Champion
I like that set. I could tell you were pretty nervous at the beginning, missing a lot, but once you got in your element later in the match it looked like same ol confident axe. Good edgeguards, good reads. And great smash di : )

I also like how jman ragequit when he was still alive (and prob would have survived).

AXE 09

Smash Master
Thank you so much guys ^^ Most of my matches that were on the live stream are up now! Me vs Armada, Cyrain, and Shiz are up lol.

As far as Falco goes... Sadly I didn't use him much at all lol. If I remember, I think I only used him in one match during pools, and in 2 matches during the bracket. So in only 3 matches all together lol. The rest was all Pikachu.

I used Falco a ton in friendlies though! I guess I just didn't want anyone to figure out how my Pikachu plays lol. The Falco tourney was amazingly fun, but we never got to finish. I suprisingly did pretty good, a lot better than I thought I'd do. Hopefully those matches will be uploaded soon.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Honest question though is the reason you play falco for sheiks?
Well sort of, but not exactly. I didn't pick up Falco solely for Sheik, but rather just because I like the character. Falco's so fun to move around with and do all these crazy combos, so I played him mostly just for that. As time went on, I learned how bad the matchup is for Pika vs Sheik lol. I found that Falco does so much better, so I just stuck with him as a backup for bad matchups like that.

So I didn't pick up Falco for Sheik, but rather Sheik is one of the reasons why I kept playing Falco. The biggest reason why I play Falco though is just because he's so fun haha. I love him.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
I would like every post for the next 20 pages should have the word awesome in it. Because Pikachu is awesome and everything that happens here is awesome.
Like an awesome mod, awesome new pika recruits sparked by awesome axe performing awesome, with some awesome vids and chat and awesome cuteness to top it off.

Just a thought. :)

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Does anyone ever try to run off the edge, and then instantly upb to edgegrab? I'm not sure but it could have a similar amount of frames as simply wavedashing off the edge. The main difference I see is the way you face when you activate it. Now that I htink about it, I bet both would be slower than the upb sideways to diagonal down to grab the ledge when you're in the middle of the stage. Well I mean from the same starting point. I can't check any of this though because I don't have any equipment for it.

soju

SD God
Does anyone ever try to run off the edge, and then instantly upb to edgegrab? I'm not sure but it could have a similar amount of frames as simply wavedashing off the edge. The main difference I see is the way you face when you activate it. Now that I htink about it, I bet both would be slower than the upb sideways to diagonal down to grab the ledge when you're in the middle of the stage. Well I mean from the same starting point. I can't check any of this though because I don't have any equipment for it.
The up-b from faraway to edge and walk off up-b have almost the some amount of time taken, and theyre both really good for edgeguarding someone trying to sweetspot, it all depends on your position. The walk off is also a hell of a lot less predictable then having your back turned to your opponent trying to recover.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
hey, i've used pikachu as a friendly character for well over a year so i feel like i know him fairly well. I main fox and falco but I want to use pikachu pretty much exclusively for the samus matchup in tournament. I know that pika isn't even suppposed to be great vs samus or anything but i really enjoy the matchcup personally.

so if anyone could share samus specific tips/ insight that would be great. or if it was discussed a lot somewhere a link would be nice.

Top Bottom