• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
First thing to do is don't dash attack into his shield. Attacking shields is a bad idea, and dash attack isn't anywhere near safe for that. If you really must, switch it out for a gatling combo to get him if he lets go of his shield too early. But even better is to play safer.

Read through this thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203163 for ideas.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
If you know how to hyphen smash(gatling combo), use that on his shield. If he's used to shielding and then quickly downsmashing, he'll shield the dash attack, but drop the shield in time to grant you a free upsmash to the face. That alone will make him extremely wary of shielding your dash attack and he'll probably just hold shield the whole time. If he starts shieldgrabbing, then you actually have to switch up your approach. (Though just switching up your approach now would not be a bad idea. Try Shorthop Dair, and land behind him. You should have plenty of time to shield the back hit of his downsmash and punish.)

To hyphen smash, attack someone with the strong part of the Dash attack. When it hits, quickly input an Upsmash. If done right, it will look like this.

As for general Diddy strats, keep your distance. You outrange Diddy. When you're in close, Shorthop Dair is your friend. Work your lasers, work your IAP, and stay the heck away from his bananas.

Hope that helps, thanks for posting in the Q&A thread.

J4pu

Smash Champion
How do I DI out of Sheik's Ftilt lock in order to take the least amount of damage?
I tried away= takes forever and ends with Upsmash
I tried towards= takes shorter but ends with Dsmash

Also, tips for playing against a very patient MK who will just DJ Dair over and over then land on a platform, then repeat. Lasers weren't hitting unless I full-hopped them and then he was close enough to punish me for jumping so high.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Sheik's tilt lock? Isn't best to DI towards the ground an shield? That's iirc.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I'm actually not sure about sheik, although I usually DI away and take the usmash.

As for metaknight, it depends what stage you're talking about that has platforms. I know on battlefield you can hit an opponent standing on a platform (when falco's on the main part) but SH then mashing B.

J4pu

Smash Champion
well it was yoshi's island
but he wasn't just standing on the platform, he was continuously DJ Dair'ing
and he was like at a perfect range so if i did anything stupid like fullhop to laser he would be able to drop down under me and punish.

In hindsight i should have ran from one side of the stage to the other under him (safely) to mess up his spacing.

I asked a sheik main and he said to DI towards sheik, not down.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Qusestion: Is Jab to Grab unstoppable if the jab lands? Or does the opponent have time to jab me back or something?

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
If it is escaped what are the most common or the only available methods to escape it?

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice

Denzi

Smash Master
I didn't perfectly understand what your previous question was saying but a good follow up to a jab combo is your reflector. Grabbing is probably not your best option.
Single jab -> grab, not full jab combo.

@ Nexus: You took that out of context. I wasn't asking what it was, I was suggesting it as a CG finisher on a walkoff stage.

J4pu

Smash Champion
you definitely misunderstood what he was saying. Jab cancel= jab once, then do something else.

Jab combo to reflector will often get punished against a good player.

I'm too slow

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Hey, does the Boost Pivot grab allow you to CG the characters during their normal percent or is the timing slightly different so it doesn't work for as long?

Its fairly irrelevant because as long as it works after 1 or 2 for very heavies you should be able to go to spike for most characters. But still asking...

Denzi

Smash Master
Hey, does the Boost Pivot grab allow you to CG the characters during their normal percent or is the timing slightly different so it doesn't work for as long?

Its fairly irrelevant because as long as it works after 1 or 2 for very heavies you should be able to go to spike for most characters. But still asking...
Same percents as the CG as long as you time it right.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I'm getting a lot of problems lately with CG -> Spike. I don't know when to start the buffered dash. Any advice on the timing of this or an in depth explanation on how I should go about doing this?

Denzi

Smash Master
I'm getting a lot of problems lately with CG -> Spike. I don't know when to start the buffered dash. Any advice on the timing of this or an in depth explanation on how I should go about doing this?

Well it's not exactly the same for each character IIRC, so that might be your problem. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can really suggest other than that you go into training mode/endless brawl vs a motionless opponent and work on it until you get it right.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Well, you buffer the dash just before the end of the dthrow animation. I don't know how to describe it other than that, just practice... maybe someone else can be more helpful...

...one thing which you might be doing suboptimally (I know I did this at first) - maybe you're bringing them too close to the edge of the stage? If you're teetering on the edge as you get the last grab, it's a lot harder to land the spike (for me, at least). (I guess it's impossible, or so people posting after me say. I wasn't sure, so I didn't call it impossible when I first posted.) So perhaps what's wrong isn't the timing of the dash, but the spacing relative to the edge of the last throw. I know concentrating on that helped me make my spikes after the CG more consistent, and I'd also thought that maybe I wasn't doing the dash portion right. I realized what to do after finding some SK92 or Sethlon pulling off the CG->spike and then watching that and seeing how and where they ended it. It matters more for some characters than others.

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
How about Boost Pivot Grab Bthrow?

@ Nexus: You took that out of context. I wasn't asking what it was, I was suggesting it as a CG finisher on a walkoff stage.
I knew that's what you meant, I just used that video because it is too good.

Regarding the CG->spike, if the last time you grab your opponent is when you are teetering on the edge, then you can't buffer a dash and spike. In this case, you could drop off the edge and doublejump->spike while predicting their action (such as airdodge or attack).

Denzi

Smash Master
I knew that's what you meant, I just used that video because it is too good.

Regarding the CG->spike, if the last time you grab your opponent is when you are teetering on the edge, then you can't buffer a dash and spike. In this case, you could drop off the edge and doublejump->spike while predicting their action (such as airdodge or attack).
Don't just go around posting that video unless you have a good reason :)

A non-FF'd Dair should work too. then again, you should just be able to just space the CG so that that doesn't happen :p

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
Don't just go around posting that video unless you have a good reason :)

A non-FF'd Dair should work too. then again, you should just be able to just space the CG so that that doesn't happen :p
So that particular video needs to have a good reason for it to be posted...ok. I guess it's because of how awesome it is.
I agree that the non-FF'd dair would work, and a good way to do that would be tilt-sticking. This brings me to my question:
Is tilt-sticking (or A-sticking) worth it with Falco?
And a side question:
Is there a Falco IRC channel?

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
yes here's the irc:

credits to Vlade for making the room (im just advertising lol)

steps: (it might seem complicated but it's really easy, if you can't do it for whatever reason PM or IM me)

1. Download mIRC (Here) http://www.mirc.com/get.html

2. Create your username, then close the box asking you to join a server. Oh and make sure you use the trial version because it actually never runs out ^_^

3. In the blank white box down the bottom type in "/s irc.globalgamers.net" (without quotes)

4. Once it's finished with all the writing on the screen, a box should come up. Type #falco.

5. You're Done!

unown88

Smash Rookie
Question: How exactly are you suppose to execute a CG spike?

Is it a CG to the end then a SH dair or is it a CG and then i run off the edge and dair? I keep trying it in training against diddy just because out of my normal group of ppl i play my friends diddy is the only challenge i actually get. Thanks for your guys help.

J4pu

Smash Champion
yea...
1. stop asking
2. start thinking
3. go to youtube
4. type in falco gatling combo
5. click on appropriate link
6. watch video
7. profit

it's as if people are unable to use common sense.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
LOL
7. Profit

One of my favorite Smashboards' overused terms :D

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
i love how everyone is so nice HAHAHA
Once you've been here long enough, you'll see the ridiculous number of times we've been asked about the gatling combo and SHDL. It's enough to drive anyone insane. I say us as Falco mains should just stop answering those questions. That way they might use enough brainpower to visit the stickied guides to Falco.

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
yes here's the irc:

credits to Vlade for making the room (im just advertising lol)

steps: (it might seem complicated but it's really easy, if you can't do it for whatever reason PM or IM me)

1. Download mIRC (Here) http://www.mirc.com/get.html

2. Create your username, then close the box asking you to join a server. Oh and make sure you use the trial version because it actually never runs out ^_^

3. In the blank white box down the bottom type in "/s irc.globalgamers.net" (without quotes)

4. Once it's finished with all the writing on the screen, a box should come up. Type #falco.

5. You're Done!
Thanks, and is it supposed to be empty except for "ChanServ"?

Louisdebou

Smash Cadet
I've a question about 2v2 (with Friendly fire, of course) because next week I've a tournament and i'm anxious. So, according to you, what's the best or one of the best coop for Falco ? I think personally Falco + MK/G&W/Snake could be very good.

And, do you have any tips or strategies for Falco in 2v2 ?

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
I've a question about 2v2 (with Friendly fire, of course) because next week I've a tournament and i'm anxious. So, according to you, what's the best or one of the best coop for Falco ? I think personally Falco + MK/G&W/Snake could be very good.

And, do you have any tips or strategies for Falco in 2v2 ?
I was in a 2v2 university tourney recently. My partner was an Ike. We got to the end of the tourney and came in 2nd to a falco and ROB. The falco was good, but the ROB was extremely good. Another one I saw was falco and ness, both of which played really well and meshed together well. I think falco + MK is good, as is snake. Personally, I like fox as a partner; I rack up the damage and he does Usmash kills like there's no tomorrow. Plus, a good fox partner is fast in and out of a scuffle and can rack up damage (I played as fox for a few doubles tourneys).
One thing you should definitely look for is a heavier partner that can kill easily. Snake is really good for that. In my experience, one heavier partner can help out a lot because of the amount of chaos in a 2v2 fight. If you find a good Ike, it'll be good. The bad thing is friendly fire, which can be bad for you too. I say go with Snake, watch out for his bombs and grenades!

J4pu

Smash Champion
no
this has been happening to me too recently, you need to figure out other methods to get the grab, jab > grab was great while it lasted, but with everybody using it they were bound to catch on sometime. Think outside the box for ideas, but just remember set patterns will eventually be countered, good reactions and punishing skills will never be obsolete.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

If you do have one please tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room and click get)

Denzi

Smash Master
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

If you do have one please tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room and click get)
We have one. Talk to Tommy G.

Top Bottom