• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

J4pu

Smash Champion
you don't it's fake
if you hit a wall at an angle it appears to curve but it doesn't actually curve.

@louis- Cstick down is faster because you can press it as soon as you start to dash (if you tried with A you would Fsmash) but if you are already dashing they are both the same.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I'm starting to feel Falco has the biggest learning curve of most of the tournament viable characters..

Meta Knight took a whole weekend to master lol, Snake took a bit more since he has a lot of kinks, And I have pretty much every top / high tier character mastered except for Falco... (and DDD isn't where I want him yet but that's beside the point)

I'm guessing mastering Falco's laser game is key, I still need to learn to boost smash better and the reverse grabs and all.

I am assuming, those too are pretty important for mastering Falco right?

Denzi

Smash Master
I'm starting to feel Falco has the biggest learning curve of most of the tournament viable characters..

Meta Knight took a whole weekend to master lol, Snake took a bit more since he has a lot of kinks, And I have pretty much every top / high tier character mastered except for Falco... (and DDD isn't where I want him yet but that's beside the point)

I'm guessing mastering Falco's laser game is key, I still need to learn to boost smash better and the reverse grabs and all.

Yes, of course.

Mith_

Smash Champion

Good luck on your journey to learning all of Falco's tricks and whatnot and applying them.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Blah, Falco's learning curve is gay. I find myself getting more frustrated than anything. What I have to say though is Falco definately has my favorite Spike in the game. The chainspike and spiking characters above you is so riduculously easy, granted they don't have a good D-air.

Characters like Zelda, ROB, Marth, Pit, etc... are ridiculously easy to spike when they are above you.

the SH spike is still not as bad it just has a different feel to most of the other character's spikes.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I'd say falco isn't that hard to learn, his AT's aren't incredibly difficult. He's probably somewhere in the middle if their was a tier list for learning curves.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I can't imagine a character with a more difficult learning curve... I can play virtually the entire cast minus a few I never even found entertaining or worthwhile..

I have not found any character to give me as much of a hard time as Falco did though, lol.

Good luck on your journey to learning all of Falco's tricks and whatnot and applying them.
I've been using Falco since August for about 2-3 hours a day and still cannot get him to work out right. <_<

My playing style is pretty much... bad. I have a hold on all the basics that Falco has, AT included, but I do not really have them all "mastered". So I frequently make mistakes in my own attacks which lead me to getting punished really badly. I have been playing on wifi all the time for human battles, so that might explain some of the difficulties I have having, but apart from that I still make a lot of mistakes.

I usually end up missing the spike by not buffering the dash correctly from a CG, or I mess up Boost Pivot Grab. My DACUS is often times 20% mess up, 40% dash upsmash, 40% full distanced DACUS. I can dash a SHDL really well getting the silent laser a lot (this is even on wifi), although my timing for SHL is horrible. I cannot really pressure well with Falco and because of mistakes often times spend most of my time in close range fighting and playing more of defensivly than pressuring, and all that has lead to me not using the lasers at all really. I only use it when I have disengaged from close range fighting when I dealt a blow with good knockback, I cannot use them at all really on someone who is actually coming towards me as I either mess up the timing of the stun and spacing of an attack or just get hit in the middle of trying to SHL/SHDL.

Then there is the problem of trying to momentum cancel, tech and DI which could safe my butt numerous times if I just learn to remember to do it. Plus, there is the annoying ability that I have to have no constancy; Every person I play, either really good or really bad, always comes out as a close battle and I can never 3 stock or 2 stock a person.

Edit: Wow, I just spent 9 minutes typing up useless junk xD Forgot my question too.

My question: How does the Upsmash work with in regards to the amount of knockback and tracjectory depending on the amount of frames into the attack? Ex. end of the attack has like no knockback, apart from that I do not really understand where one needs to connect in the attack to get it to get most upward knockback and other things.

I can't imagine a character with a more difficult learning curve... I can play virtually the entire cast minus a few I never even found entertaining or worthwhile..

I have not found any character to give me as much of a hard time as Falco did though, lol.
ICs. I think they would be pretty difficult to use effectively. First off, you have the whole grab game thing to learn with them and that takes time to get the timing right with the 0%-death grab. Then, you have the difficulty of trying to Desynch with them, keeping them together when you need too, remember that there is a lag in there timing when snyched which messes up with powershielding. There are just so many different aspects you have to get accustomed to when using them. They for sure are not your pick up in a 2-3 days character.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Yeah I was thinking about them... and also Olimar came to mind after I posted...

Olimar is more complicated to understand but in my opinion still much easier to master than Falco.

With Olimar it's more about "knowing" what to do with what and when... than getting all the little kinks mastered.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Your ability to master characters lies in the way you play.
I find Falco has a more technical side to him than someone like Marth. I've always gotten away with being technical rather than particularly tactical, although that was more applicable in Melee. Captain Falcon taught me how to think in Brawl though, amazing character.

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
Yeah but still mastering Olimar is not nearly as hard, you just have to learn each Pikmin, their attributes, and when it's best to use them, and the best Pikmin for each attack.
That is just awesome. You basically gave an argument for why Olimar is one of the hardest characters to master, all you have to do for Falco is laser, CG and learn to DACUS and then when to do them correctly. Falco isn't that hard to master at all.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I guess it depends, for me remembering a flurry of information is easy.

You can even break it down to...

White pikmin - throw them at opponent, or for grab hits
Red Pikmin - aerials
Yellow Pikmin - Smashes
Blue Pikmin - B-throw and F-throw kill
Purple Pikmin - KO smashes, U-throw kill

Vlade

Social Outcast
That is just awesome. You basically gave an argument for why Olimar is one of the hardest characters to master, all you have to do for Falco is laser, CG and learn to DACUS and then when to do them correctly. Falco isn't that hard to master at all.
I wouldn't say falco is THAT easy. There's more to him than you think.

faceholerope

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry everyone to interrupt your discussion, but I'd like to know if it would be better to use a shield canceled sliding grab or to use a grab boost. I'm sure this is a ******** question to you guys but I really don't know

Denzi

Smash Master
Shielding seems better just because it gives you more defensive options. (assuming of course that the opponent isn't going to sit there and let you grab him)

Other ways to get grabs:

Silent laser -> Grab
Jab -> Grab

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't say falco is THAT easy. There's more to him than you think.
I didn't say that he was that easy just that learning his techniques isn't that hard. It just boils down to spacing and early cg to spike. Oh and lasers.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
i just switched to Falco and what do you guys do agenst TL there giving me trouble

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
I didn't say that he was that easy just that learning his techniques isn't that hard. It just boils down to spacing and early cg to spike. Oh and lasers.
wrong. techs are so simple to learn in brawl so tech skill doesn't really mean **** in brawl because at a high level of play, EVERYONE knows to do every tech, but knowing how to fsmash and knowing WHEN to fsmash properly without getting punished takes a lot more skill. and smarts. and experience. so no, just because it's easy to CG and SHDL doesn't mean falco is easy to "master". you can know how to SHL->boost smash perfectly and still not land any against a player who can predict you well.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
What are Falco's weakness's?

Not that I care. ._.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
touche.

semi-predictable recovery. light weight. trouble landing kill moves. gimped easily.

all can be prevented(dealt with) if the player is good.

The falco boards now has an IRC chat channel!

look below

Denzi

Smash Master
touche.

semi-predictable recovery. light weight. trouble landing kill moves. gimped easily.

all can be prevented(dealt with) if the player is good.

The falco boards now has an IRC chat channel!

Here are the instructions to getting started:

1. Download mIRC (Here) http://www.mirc.com/get.html

2. Create your username, then close the box asking you to join a server. Oh and make sure you use the trial version because it actually never runs out ^_^

3. In the blank white box down the bottom type in "/s irc.globalgamers.net" (without quotes)

4. Once it's finished with all the writing on the screen, a box should come up. Type #smashfalco.

5. You're Done!
Coolsies :)

faceholerope

Smash Cadet
Shielding seems better just because it gives you more defensive options. (assuming of course that the opponent isn't going to sit there and let you grab him)

Other ways to get grabs:

Silent laser -> Grab
Jab -> Grab
I was referring more to their applications on the chaingrab. As in which would be more tactically useful in that respect.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Hmm, yeah I would say Falco's biggest weaknesses come down to his recovery and below average killing potential.

Also Falco does have a lot of killing options so used properly one could work around his lower KO power. His light weight can be a problem but with proper DI you can live longer.

Also I just started getting used to his first jump being so high if it isn't SH, I got so used to Short hopping I forgot some of the uses of full hops, particularly for attacking from below for characters with weak D-airs or blindspots below them in general like R.O.B., Marth, Zelda, and Meta Knight. (try to guess what part of that was sarcasm)

lol

Edit: Yeah I am liking Falco a lot but unfortunately he is the newest character I picked up on trying to Master so it might be a while before I'm comfortable enough with him to make him tournament viable.

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
wrong. techs are so simple to learn in brawl so tech skill doesn't really mean **** in brawl because at a high level of play, EVERYONE knows to do every tech, but knowing how to fsmash and knowing WHEN to fsmash properly without getting punished takes a lot more skill. and smarts. and experience. so no, just because it's easy to CG and SHDL doesn't mean falco is easy to "master". you can know how to SHL->boost smash perfectly and still not land any against a player who can predict you well.
Sorry this was what I was trying to say in my first post. But then again this is true of any character, this is true of any game in the smash bros. series. You can know every tech in the book and still lose. Maybe you're coming from the viewpoint that if you play Falco wrong you can get very spammy and so very predictable. If thats the case then I totally agree with you, more experience here would help you to become a better player. But characters like Bowser and Ganondorf, even though they can kill at fairly low percents, require much more smarts and patience as if you make a mistake with them that can actually be your stock gone. With a character like Falco you can mess up and still not lose your stock. Falcos main weakness is his recovery that also needs working on in play versus humans so maybe I was making him sound a bit too easy, if so I take back whatever I said before.

Tl;dr: Yes Falco can be hard to master but compared to the "low" tier characters its not that much of a problem. Every character you play gets better with experience.

Arty

Smash Lord
I have a question.... Can Falco really chaingrab Luigi.... I tried chaingrabbing a friend of mine who plays Luigi and I Was able to do it. Other people said that you could do N-air. Do you have to mash N-air like as fast as you can, or is Falco able to chaingrab Luigi regardless.

Denzi

Smash Master
I was referring more to their applications on the chaingrab. As in which would be more tactically useful in that respect.
During the CG, it's usually best to just use the walking grab because it removes any chance of tripping. I think there are some characters that can only be dash grab CG'd, but the walking grab is pretty much always your best option.

@Arty: No way Luigi can be CG'd.

faceholerope

Smash Cadet
I have a question.... Can Falco really chaingrab Luigi.... I tried chaingrabbing a friend of mine who plays Luigi and I Was able to do it. Other people said that you could do N-air. Do you have to mash N-air like as fast as you can, or is Falco able to chaingrab Luigi regardless.
you can't do it feasibly. he gets out of it at like 9% so you're better off doing a grab>dthrow>DLX, that will do more damage and it will open up more options for combos.

faceholerope

Smash Cadet
During the CG, it's usually best to just use the walking grab because it removes any chance of tripping. I think there are some characters that can only be dash grab CG'd, but the walking grab is pretty much always your best option.

@Arty: No way Luigi can be CG'd.
right, I know that, but what I want to know more specifically is which would be better for turning the chaingrab around.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
right, I know that, but what I want to know more specifically is which would be better for turning the chaingrab around.
You can only turn the CG around with a dash. Basically you dash forward then hit back on the control stick and press A followed by R as soon as possible
Lol Denzi no corrections pl0x <3

Denzi

Smash Master
The Reverse Boost Pivot Grab (we need a consistant name so everyone knows what we're refering to :() is the only way to turn the CG around. Sorry 'bout the confusion.

Note: other methods may still work depending on your opponent (the player, not the character), but the RBPG is the only truely inescapable way.

Top Bottom