• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

AzNsAnTaGiN

Smash Cadet
This has absolutely no relevance to competitive play but;
The SmashWiki repeatedly states that Marth's Counter can be used to avoid certain final smashes. I don't believe that though. Can anyone confirm/deny it?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Okay, I'm a relative new Brawl player and I've chosen Marth as my main. What is some advice could some of you Marth pros give me?
Read all of the stickies, fully learn marths moveset, learn to space well. Thats a good start.

Barstool

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arispect
For some reason, when I try to use Shieldbreaker as a recovery, I end up doing it in the wrong direction, even if I tap the correct direction first.
Am I just bad at tapping the correct direction? Is there some other factor at play?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
[EDIT]Nevermind just seen it.
And @ Barstool: I have no idea how your turning around your Shieldbreaker. If you start by facing the stage, you shouldn't have to tap a direction at all. If your trying to do a Reverse Neutral B, then you need to improve your timing.

Alterhalo

Smash Journeyman
For some reason, when I try to use Shieldbreaker as a recovery, I end up doing it in the wrong direction, even if I tap the correct direction first.
Am I just bad at tapping the correct direction? Is there some other factor at play?
Why are you using it as a recovery in the first place very bad idea dude

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Why are you using it as a recovery in the first place very bad idea dude
Sometimes if I recovery and get hit and DI up (which should be often; the DI part btw lol), somehow living, my horizontal momentum will die off and I will die anyway unless I can get it to boost to same speed or higher again.

SB can solve this. Fully charged if you're on the border of death (literally), if you still have a jump, use it with DB1 then hope you can make it.

But yeah, SB sucks but I've found situational places to use it. Just because something sucks doesn't mean you should never use it. Like Bthrow sends foes slightly lower than Dthrow does, so if they don't DI it it may lead to a more favorable position (if ever so slightly), or the fact that dash attack can ki...

wait dash attack just sucks and I only use it because my nerves cannot possibly **** up that timing on MK's grab release. Buffer a dash then immediately C-stick down for tipped DA for lulz.

Then there's dair which is mighty sexy for...

friendlies.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
lol wel I'm not as good as you guys are so I can't afford to just go and die rather than trying to save myself to inflict a bit more damage to turn the match around :p

VietGeek

Smash Hero
ITT - We make sucky moves sound so sucky just forget about having that option.

Also Steel my Marth sucks too much to know when it's hopeless.

Besides...Sakurai told me one thing in my ear...a whisper in the night...

YOU MUST RECOVER!

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
lol didn't mean that I'd hit him with it, jsut so taht I can get back to the stage and then fight some more :) and inflict damage...hopefully

Alterhalo

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes if I recovery and get hit and DI up (which should be often; the DI part btw lol), somehow living, my horizontal momentum will die off and I will die anyway unless I can get it to boost to same speed or higher again.

SB can solve this. Fully charged if you're on the border of death (literally), if you still have a jump, use it with DB1 then hope you can make it.

But yeah, SB sucks but I've found situational places to use it. Just because something sucks doesn't mean you should never use it. Like Bthrow sends foes slightly lower than Dthrow does, so if they don't DI it it may lead to a more favorable position (if ever so slightly), or the fact that dash attack can ki...

wait dash attack just sucks and I only use it because my nerves cannot possibly **** up that timing on MK's grab release. Buffer a dash then immediately C-stick down for tipped DA for lulz.

Then there's dair which is mighty sexy for...

friendlies.
I know what you mean but it's not so practical for getting back sometimes just saying be random with it
When I play with cherry and he recovers doing SB I punish him I really dont think it's good unless your just being really random and playing mindgames with it

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I know it's not practical. If you're doing it as you're offscreen, no one but MK, Pit, ROB, Jiggs, Kirby, maybe even D3 would chase you when they could just edgehog. Then you may have time to do proper stalling (especially if you have a jump left) to try to get back again.

I remembered when my right hand used to twitch as I charged the move. Funny as ****.
I must have looked so ********.

∫unk

Smash Master
i actually agree with your statement fear

i'm learning melee right now and the melee community is so helpful

steel said he was going to make a thread about marth's current metagame and catch everyone up but then got lazy

i think inevitably it'll come out... by this weekend if nothing is out i'll write something but steel writes way better threads than me

keep in mind the thread isn't going to say everything it's about the journey... like there's signature stuff and little unique tricks in every good marth vid you've seen that you can take away and use in your own game but spelling it out seems a little too much.

and the breakthrough was about my marth in particular ^^

feardragon64

Smash Champion
i actually agree with your statement fear

i'm learning melee right now and the melee community is so helpful

steel said he was going to make a thread about marth's current metagame and catch everyone up but then got lazy

i think inevitably it'll come out... by this weekend if nothing is out i'll write something but steel writes way better threads than me

keep in mind the thread isn't going to say everything it's about the journey... like there's signature stuff and little unique tricks in every good marth vid you've seen that you can take away and use in your own game but spelling it out seems a little too much.

and the breakthrough was about my marth in particular ^^
That's good to hear. Also, I can understand people who hold out their tricks and unveil them at their next tourney since it's just an awesomely flashy way to do things. How boring would it have been if wobbles had TOLD everyone about the 0-death before the tournament? People would have been freaking out about it before then and it wouldn't have been as epic. But anyways, glad to hear you're not for hiding secrets entirely. I can also understand not spelling it out entirely for people. Hell, not just for you, but for the people learning it. At some point people need to do some work for themselves or they're not really learning. -.-

junk how do u have a breakthrough in 2 hours

and i aint writin nothinggggggggg
Steel T_T

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
ive given hints to what you should be doing now in my critiques, im not laying it all out for you guys.

∫unk

Smash Master
How did we go from one of the most knowledgable and smartest boards to one of the dumbest?

I think it's cause good players just spam and don't actually help so the boards is like a month or more behind the metagame.

DJMirror

Smash Master
is there a video tutorial for marth? because on the snake boards i seen some video tutorial by havok (the screen is always shaking and gives me a headache so yeah)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
A better question is - why would MARTH need a video tutorial?

Someone w/ weird gimmicks and set-ups hard to describe or whatever on paper like Wolf, Peach (maybe?), TL, Snake would be worth a little video tutorial...

but Marth is pretty straight forward. Very little gimmicks. Pick him up, think, don't suck at him, win. =(

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
get the **** off viet's jock people, don't care wether you're joking or not he's way better than both of you

Top Bottom