• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I have heard multiple times of how ADHD has taught secrets to Pierce and how wonderful and match up influencing they are.

Your post made me chuckle, ADHD. When I read it a big troll face pops up.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Lol, I don't even know what the hell I'm doing half of the time. Pierce stop exaggerating.

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
Lol that was me. I have this thread subscribed, so it's odd seeing you post here.

You were playing the MU pretty aggro so it wasn't too hard for me to predict what you were doing. If you're getting nervous just lay low for a bit and feel Snake out a bit, no homo.
Its ironic I will end up talking to you on here too lol. I do need to be more patient I just need more confidence in that matchup too and have fun instead. I'll try harder next time and hopefully I'll put up a better fight. Thanks for the advice.

Mr Toast

Smash Cadet
Hometown: Raleigh, NC ... School: Charlotte, NC
well i've been observing a lot of Marth videos recently. And i've noticed in matches with Leon, he does a lot of crazy tricks with shield breaker. Reversals, bouncing, and he seems to retreat as well. Anyone wanna enlighten me on how to do some useful things with shieldbreaker, when it's most useful, how to manipulate it? Or at least direct me to a thread, i didn't look very hard :)

thanks

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Half the time on bf or ps1 I start the match off by running off the platform and reverse wavebouncing shield breaker. If they aren't expecting it they'll either get hit by it or shield it (lol) or otherwise be too far away to punish it.

EDIT: As for how to perform stuff there's regular wavebouncing which is just hitting b then mashing the direction you're not facing immediately afterwards which changes your directional momentum. Then there's b-reversing which is just hitting the opposite direction than you're facing then letting go and hitting b again which just turns you around but keeps your same momentum. Then there's this crazy mashup thing you do with both of these mechanics I like to call reverse wavebouncing where you do a b-reversal then wavebounce it. To perform this you tap the opposite direction than you are facing then press b, immediately mashing the stick towards the direction you were facing originally. When done correctly this should cause you to shield breaker the direction you are facing but change your directional momentum so that you're sent backwards. It's mainly useful as a mixup and as a spacing tool. Your opponent sees you going backwards so they decide to approach and do whatever when they get to you but they aren't going to expect a hitbox to be so far away from your body so they won't be doing anything to defend against it. Useful as a surprise kill move on the last stock =D

C.J.

Smash Master
Half the time on bf or ps1 I start the match off by running off the platform and reverse wavebouncing shield breaker. If they aren't expecting it they'll either get hit by it or shield it (lol) or otherwise be too far away to punish it.

EDIT: As for how to perform stuff there's regular wavebouncing which is just hitting b then mashing the direction you're not facing immediately afterwards which changes your directional momentum. Then there's b-reversing which is just hitting the opposite direction than you're facing then letting go and hitting b again which just turns you around but keeps your same momentum. Then there's this crazy mashup thing you do with both of these mechanics I like to call reverse wavebouncing where you do a b-reversal then wavebounce it. To perform this you tap the opposite direction than you are facing then press b, immediately mashing the stick towards the direction you were facing originally. When done correctly this should cause you to shield breaker the direction you are facing but change your directional momentum so that you're sent backwards. It's mainly useful as a mixup and as a spacing tool. Your opponent sees you going backwards so they decide to approach and do whatever when they get to you but they aren't going to expect a hitbox to be so far away from your body so they won't be doing anything to defend against it. Useful as a surprise kill move on the last stock =D
You're right, except for the terms... the terms are wrong.
A breverse is what you called a wavebounce. What you called a breverse is called a turnaround special, and what you called a reverse whatever, is a wavebounce.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=302576#jumpspecials

offtheheezay10

Smash Rookie
I'm a Marth main. A friend of mine has recently picked up Pit and our matches have gotten very close. He has gone very good at spamming arrows and spacing just right so either he is hitting me from a distance or is in very close range where he can hit. I'd like to hear of any good strategies against Pit for Marth. I have been working on and using a lot of mid-range spacing which seems to have put the match slightly in my favor. Specifically, spacing strategies and edge play strategies would be great!

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
My brother mained Pit before he quit. If I remember, I'll send you some matches when I get home that you can study. A lot of it is old, but still kinda relevant.

Marth is faster than Pit and has more range though, so you should be controlling the spacing and pressure in this MU.

Alternatively, you can search the database for old posts I have on the Marth vs. Pit MU.

etecoon

Smash Hero
pierce do you have any advice on pit planking?

I feel like I do well in this MU until he just decides he's never getting off the ledge then I'm kinda terrible because my entire ledge game assumes that the opponent is eventually going to try and get on stage -_-

offtheheezay10

Smash Rookie
Pierce, I would appreciate the videos if you have time to send them to me. I'd like to see the strategy.

I agree that I should be controlling the spacing and pressure in the mu. I had a lot of trouble with this at first and then I started using tilts a lot more and the spacing and pressure got a lot better. I'm still having some trouble with the arrow game, especially when he gets me off the edge of the stage. I win the mu now more than I lose it but I would still like to improve.

Etecoon, I found the best way to deal with Pit planking is to mix up your approaches while he is off the edge. Move to the edge and use tilts with an occasional f-smash. If you get it so that h doesn't know what you are going to do next you can usually land a tipper. Also, consider going of the stage and doing a b-air for a stage spike. It's risky but if they don't expect it you can sometimes get a really nice stage spike.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Where is the Grab Release Thread? It's really hard to find on Smashboards mobile

Thanks

:phone:

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Been messing around in training mode, someone smarter than me please answer.

Grab Wario on SV platform. Marth facing right, platform moving left. Release, dash, rising nair. Only second hit connects. Is it guaranteed

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
What's the best way to practice/learn spacing?

I know the range and everything, but how do you keep them there?

Nike.

Smash Hero
Whos the best Canadian Marf? I know there's Raziek, Killock, Vibe, Iliad, Techiyo, Waffle's and they all do decent in their regions.

C.J.

Smash Master
Why is Snake approaching with nair...

Why would you wanna do anything to nair other than jumping into the last hit with counter?

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Well if the snake recovers up high sometimes they use nair as some sort of landing approach or to make sure they land safe and I been using ftilt to beat it and it works really well unless if you mean the snake running up and using nair than yea I would deff use counter I understand counter works but I'm just using a different move

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
What Cj is trying to say is that Nair is such a ridiculously punishable move in this MU that settling for ftilt is like using DB to punish instead of Usmash.... yeah it works and is good to know, but youre saying no to free damage. Seriously, Nair is punished ON HIT.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Snake's Nair is a weird one, i can't really explain it but Calzorz always knows when to use his Nair. He won't drop from the air obviously with it cuz i can just re-act and counter, depends what position im in. BUT YES, HE DOES SOMETIMES APPROACH WITH NAIR, usually he times a grenade, then he can shield just after the FH Nair grabbing the nade and also shielding before the nade blows up. What Nair will do is push Marth back abit, and what Marth's tend to do is run in and sideB the lag from the Nair, htting Snake but also the nade hitting Marth. There's something else i could say but i cant explain it properly.

KillLock

Smash Lord
Snakes Nair is good. I use it sometimes to approach, intercept short hop fairs from Marths or catch spot dodges. As Anaky said, you can also short hop Nair with a grenade. It pushes them just enough so that you can shield up with a grenade as protection. The move can be unpredictable unless snake *****s it. But of course the Marth boards are gonna be theorycrafting to hell how easy it is to punish on reaction LOL. Also Marth doesn't really punish hard, so testing the waters with it early stock doesn't hurt too much, you could say it's worth the risk depending on the situation.

etecoon

Smash Hero
snake nair is bad against marth, he can DS out too easily. that's ON HIT. can be a worthwhile trade depending on %(snake actually recovers first at lower %) but grabbing a nade first also just means you're taking an extra explosion for no reason unless you whiff and you're just trying to bait the incorrect punish. really situational maybe use it once in a set kind of thing IMO

Mr-R

Smash Champion
yeah but sometimes ur DS doesn't hit him and then ur ****ed ..

etecoon

Smash Hero
he's typically not going to do much worse to you than getting hit by a full nair though, and that's just the last resort anyway

PEACE7

Smash Champion
No if you mess up with the DS and don't hit him there's a high chance of eating an fsmash like Ramin said miss the hit and your ****ed

etecoon

Smash Hero
50:50 at best and that's assuming there are no platforms around, if there are nothing he can hit you with is explicitly worse than having a full nair connect, unless he nair's you again and you screw up again -_-

Top Bottom