• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Like most of Canada, not really.

Doesnt practice and goes MK when he does go to tournies. Every time I see his Marth play I learn something new though, guy is mad legit

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I think a spotdodge might be better but i can be wrong you can also buffer an upb out of it but some D3's well at least LingLing he knows how to chaingrab marth back and forth through the whole stage making an inescapable chaingrab its really frustrating.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, all you have to do is DI away and his grab will whiff if hes not frame perfect.

Note: DS can be a legit option, just dont use it 100+ %. If DDD grabs you out of a blocked DS, RCO lag makes it a free dash attack

V

Smash Ace
Is it just me or does pikachu's dsmash seem harder to sdi at higher %?

:phone:

X15 YumYum

Smash Rookie
Kind of a nubish question but I'm kind of curious as to hit two combos Mr. R, Haze, and Leon hit quite often.

The first one is hitting the Nair after FThrowing someone. Does their HP have to be at 0 to hit this or do you have to predict an Air Dodge or something?

Ex: Starts at 1:00 in the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD_vg-kmsgs

The second question is how to do Marth's spike after two FThrows on humanoid characters such as sheik and Falco. I know the HP has to be at 0 but is it just fast reaction? Any tips to hitting it?

Ex: Start at 7:45 in the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_148470&feature=iv&v=B-f8314pGC8

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Kind of a nubish question but I'm kind of curious as to hit two combos Mr. R, Haze, and Leon hit quite often.

The first one is hitting the Nair after FThrowing someone. Does their HP have to be at 0 to hit this or do you have to predict an Air Dodge or something?

Ex: Starts at 1:00 in the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD_vg-kmsgs

The second question is how to do Marth's spike after two FThrows on humanoid characters such as sheik and Falco. I know the HP has to be at 0 but is it just fast reaction? Any tips to hitting it?

Ex: Start at 7:45 in the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_148470&feature=iv&v=B-f8314pGC8
Nair comboes on most characters out of fthrow from 0-4 %, after that youll need to read di and airdodges

Fox Falco Sheik Diddy get hit by fthrow>dair between 0-4 %, the first fthrow taking them to 4, timing is pretty easy once you understand when to buffer the dash. Buffer dash up on control stick cstick down buffers the dair. Falco is also the only character on which this is a 0-death, everyone else can recover

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
can falco SDI/ DI on stage like people can against falcos CG?

I am not saying that they do, or that the 0-death doesn't work I just mean it hypothetically?

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure you can DI onto the stage to land safe not 100% sure but its hard or you could try and tech the spike if you DI towards it

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Im not sure about SDI with tippers, Ive never had it done to me.

The reason I permaban YI:B is because im sick of Falco teching the wall and living

V

Smash Ace
2 questions

What are our options vs mk's glide attack?

What are our options when mk is dtilting our shield?

:phone:

C.J.

Smash Master
1) jabjabjabjab
If he glide attacks, it'll clash and you have frame advantage and it's a free DB if you buffer it. If he doesn't glide attack you, he gets hit by jab.

2) This shouldn't happen, ever, but w/e
shield drop->PS->dsmash
jump OOS shield fair
DS if it's not spaced perfectly
etc

MK dtilting your shield more than once in a row is stupid.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
@SDIing tipper Dair onto the stage: it's doable.

I've learned you can't SDI Marth's tipper Fsmash. Is that really true? ;_; And why is that?

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Tipper fsmash is considered 'Cinematic Hitlag'

So is Falcon Knee and a couple others i cant name off the top of my head. You cant sdi during cinematic hitlag

C.J.

Smash Master
Tipper fsmash is considered 'Cinematic Hitlag'

So is Falcon Knee and a couple others i cant name off the top of my head. You cant sdi during cinematic hitlag
uhhh, no
You can DEFINITELY SDI Falcon's knee. In fact I'll go double triple quadruple check to make sure.

Yes, you can SDI it a lot. Idk what you do or don't want to call "cinematic hitlag" (to me it just means anything that freezes the game momentarily) but as far as something being SDIable goes, you need to look at an attack's SDI multiplier.

Marth's tipper fsmash does have an SDI multiplier of 0 though. (I think his feet during usmash do as well but idk for sure on that one.) Falcon's fair? Definitely not 0.

C.J.

Smash Master
utilt beats it as well. If absolutely frame perfect I think usmash oos works too.

Usmash OOS is underused imo.
Fun fact, MK's nair on shield (assuming weak hit hits your shield) is punishable by usmash oos (15 frames cool down, usmash out of frame 12)

Nike.

Smash Hero
I thought landing lag on G&W's dair was too short for Marth to be able to usmash OoS. Would G&W be able to powershield in time?

C.J.

Smash Master
I thought landing lag on G&W's dair was too short for Marth to be able to usmash OoS. Would G&W be able to powershield in time?
Don't know for sure. It either works or is one frame off. Either way, it'd be a guessing game
He shields and gets grabbed for a GR->fair
Or doesn't shield and gets hit
vOv

I always counter though so I feel like the move has some use outside of vs MK.

C.J.

Smash Master
SH fair? Falling fair? Full hop fair?

If it's a SH, then probably. MK can't do anything after a fair in a SH. Full hop, then no, but you should be able to uair/fair him OOS. Falling, it depends on where he starts.

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
What to do When Above Opponent

I just switched my main from MK to Marth the other day and unlike MK, Marth has a hard time approaching from above (usually when i get knocked up high or when I recover up high).

What are my best options in this situation?

When I try to play it safe, I just grab the ledge but Marth isn't too great from the ledge. (I usually ledge hop n-air, ledge hop f-air or ledge hop DB)

I'm guessing his D-air is out of the question cuz of the huge lag if I miss.

Counter works occasionally but I get punished more often than not.

I could always just try to air dodge but people usually expect that.

EDIT: I actually have another question so to avoid double posting, I'll put it here.
I see many top marths use the U-Smash OoS option quite frequently, but is it actually viable if your opponent buffered a shield or some other move to avoid it in terms of framerate? I had this question after I watched the Izaw vs. Haze best of 7 match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-f8314pGC8) at around 9:25. Marth PSes Sheik's f-air, U-smash OoS, only to have it PSed by Sheik. Any help/info would be appreciated.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Hey what like...5 videos would you recommend a new marth watch to kind of soak in the essence of marth. I'm helping a friend get into the competitive scene and i need some exemplary performances to encompass marth nicely. Thx in advance~ :)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Euro vids are great to watch to WANT to play Marth, but very little they do works around here, and you won't see comparable results if you try it. xD

Top Bottom