• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
With Marth you pretty much always need to recover low.
And at a 75 degree angle from below the stage (give or take), and angle it in such a way that only your hand reaches for the ledge, before the rest of your body does (otherwise nair/dair gimps are very easy).

Use DB1 to stall before using up b if they grab the ledge, etc etc.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
With Marth you pretty much always need to recover low.
And at a 75 degree angle from below the stage (give or take), and angle it in such a way that only your hand reaches for the ledge, before the rest of your body does (otherwise nair/dair gimps are very easy).

Use DB1 to stall before using up b if they grab the ledge, etc etc.
Thanks Shaya. And yeah thats what was happening, I'd miss the ledge by a little bit and get nair/dair'ed out of it. =/

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Marth boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

V

Smash Ace
I need advice for landing kill moves on yoshi. That b**** is a pain to kill.

And I also need tips for making snake's ftilt less affective.

:phone:

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
It's easiest to kill Yoshi offstage since he has such an awful offstage game due to how easy it is to gimp him. You can space better than him so just use that to your advantage to land tippered moves otherwise. His moves that have the most downtime are improperly cancelled dairs, egg lay, egg roll, up-b (on or offstage). Don't try to approach him unless you enjoy getting pivot grabbed/fsmashed. If he's egg-throw camping it has a lot of downtime. Find a good opportunity and dash up to him then dash attack/DB, it has enough downtime to work usually. You can punish his fsmash oos with tippered fsmash, if he bairs/dairs into your shield you can up-b.

Sidenote: DB into his shield is awful since he can spot dodge after the first hit and jab you out of it no matter what you do. It's still your most useful tool, just don't go past 1st hit if you know he'll shield it. I'll actually have some videos of me and Yosh available in the next few days, we recorded 35 games tonight x.x

As for snake, walk up to him, powershield the first hit, shield the second, DB.

mventre

Smash Apprentice
I have a question concerning foxtrot pivots (not sure I'm using the correct terminology)

Anyway, it's when you foxtrot in one direction and then swiftly foxtrot in the opposite direction.

When I perform this I would input the following on the control stick ..
forward (foxtrot), then as soon as I could perform the second foxtrot I would quickly input forward then back (example: forward, forward, back)

Is the second "forward" input necessarily or could I simply input: forward, back?
Thanks

C.M.X

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the second one is needed for it to work, Forward 1st, then Forward > Back really fast.

Also guys while im here, whats the basics on the LUIGI matchup? xD

C.M.X

Smash Apprentice
Lol i wouldnt exactly call it trouble, its just our friendlies seemed to go really close, and i know Marth kinda ***** Luigi, maybe i just didnt play well that day idk. And C.R.Z kept saying i wasnt spacing well, and getting grabbed too much leading to like 30-40& combos. Im confident in the matchup, i just feel it should be more **** lol.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Probably wario since he kills so easily and gw can't force an air release unless it's at the ledge. Plus you can just fsmash his usmash lolol

Also wario is better at spacing and, you know, everything else. Even recovering.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Marth is G&W's hardest matchup in the entire game.

• Grab release -> Fair is guaranteed with good timing.
  • Dtilt beats all of his ground moves (meaning he can't spam dtilt or smash attacks and has to take to the air).
  • When he jumps at you with his back, expect the bair and simply counter it :} (Unless he knew it was coming and empty short hopped lol)
  • Uair beats his Dair when juggling him (OR you could just counter if you know he's trying to hit you with it lol).
  • Really easy to beat him in the tech chase. Tech in place -> Immediate Upb is pretty ****.

That's my mindset when I play against G&W. UTD Zac is the only one to beat it so far :(

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I think MK beats him harder than Marth, but yeah, pretty much what Nike said.

Kira-

Smash Champion

• Dtilt beats all of his ground moves (meaning he can't spam dtilt or smash attacks and has to take to the air).
  • When he jumps at you with his back, expect the bair and simply counter it :} (Unless he knew it was coming and empty short hopped lol)
  • Uair beats his Dair when juggling him (OR you could just counter if you know he's trying to hit you with it lol).
  • Really easy to beat him in the tech chase. Tech in place -> Immediate Upb is pretty ****.

That's my mindset when I play against G&W. UTD Zac is the only one to beat it so far :(
Aright, thanks a lot that was really useful.

V

Smash Ace
What matchups does controller port matter and what port should we choose?

C.J.

Smash Master
Higher controller port (4) has super armor when grabbing so it's kinda useful vs snake.

Lower port number will grab the ledge before the higher port if both characters would grab it at the same time and I think if two characters' grabs were to grab each other simultaneously the lower port # wins.

It doesn't really matter all that much.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Always go for the higher port if you can, it determines who gets the grab in situations where both players grab at the same time and for people like snake it determines who gets hit if a grenade explodes while he's got you in a grab or vice versa, it always hits the lower port and higher takes no damage. I think it also matters with ganon/bowser suicide moves and if kirby/ddd swallowcide, I think if any of those 4 characters have a lower port when the move happens they die second, otherwise both characters die simultaneously...though not entirely sure on those.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Always go for the higher port if you can, it determines who gets the grab in situations where both players grab at the same time and for people like snake it determines who gets hit if a grenade explodes while he's got you in a grab or vice versa, it always hits the lower port and higher takes no damage. I think it also matters with ganon/bowser suicide moves and if kirby/ddd swallowcide, I think if any of those 4 characters have a lower port when the move happens they die second, otherwise both characters die simultaneously...though not entirely sure on those.

Higher Port will still take the damage, he just doesn't take the hit stun.

S.F.H., always go for the 4th port against Snake. Rock Paper Scissors if he wants it too, because it coulddddd dictate the set should you grab him by a grenade (not uncommon).

Ports don't really matter for the rest of the cast.

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace

Don't counter, just fair it lol

gaw's only tool is fair in this match up imo. It's the only thing vinnie / penta really hit me with to punish

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Nair more useful imo.

And make sure you don't play with him offstage unless it's a bair, you'll never get the spike on him because of uair/upb invincibility and his f/bair beat marth's fair if he's spacing appropriately.

C.J.

Smash Master
Nair, nair, a hundred times nair. If DK is in the air with his back towards you and you fair, you deserve to get hit.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Every Marth but Kadaj thinks it's even because R.O.B. is ghey.
Nah, It's slightly in Marths favor imo.

Rob is pretty easy if you play the MU enough. Once you start DIing out of Dsmashes and spacing him out and reading his shield hard with shieldbreakers and **** like that, R.O.B. can be pretty free at times imo.

Top Bottom