• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I see. Well I pretty much have most of his Ground game covered. I just need to figure out the good uses of grabs and like shield grab setups. I've always been a defensive player that is really good @ like grab setup stuff but I mean w/ Marth it's difficult for some reason.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey, im trying to figure out the counterpick for all characters so im going to all the Q&A threads of all the characters and posting this. I would like for you to give me your characters worst MU and worst stage so it saves me a lot of time researching it myself and testing stuff.

I would really appreciate it if you all helped me out.

Hope to get some answers pretty soon.

sanguinity

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm in need of some help in terms of Marth vs. IC's. Just got a wii in our dorm, and starting to play a lot. i played a lot of melee 3-4 years ago (as marth), and starting to do brawl marth. the shorter sword is a bit annoying, but the easier dancing blade+SH's+dolphin slash is nice.

My friend is definitely a better player than me. I can still go toe to toe against him with other characters as marth as long as i play focused and well, but when he plays IC's it's a **** fest. I'm like 2-20+ against him (3 stocks), those 2 wins being when I essentially played perfect, didn't get grabbed, and did the standard marth aggro stuff.

The rest of the time though, I make one mistake, get grabbed, and bam. stock gone. kind of irritating. How do I play this matchup? I read the matchup and try playing super campy+running around, throwing a lot of fairs to space him out. But usually I make a mistake at some point, whether its fairing too close and him powershielding into grab. then i die usually. I'm also terrible at killing nana. Could use some help with this matchup.

I also play another friend. He's got some great sense of the game in terms of reading just from playing a lot, but really all does is the usual run, blaster, roll, grab, cstick, jab, as falco. I usually beat him, but i always take a lot of unnecessary damage because he rolls a ton and I get whiffs, which means i get snagged by a grab. usually the matchup for me is I'm dominating him, then i make a mistake, eat a lot of damage, and have to generate the domination momentum again. again, I usually win but I feel like given the way he plays, it should be way easier. when i remember to spam downsmash, i usually tear him up.

I guess my big problem is making a mistake then eating a lot of crap for it. I'll see if i can get a recording or something, but most of our games last longer than 3:00.

Also, how to practice spacing?

EDIT: Just played a bit, did considerably better. I beat him a couple times and he's only 1 stocking me at least. I have difficulting spacing against the blizzard, and the spinny move when I'm in the air.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I consider myself pretty good at the ICs matchup.

Here are some examples from last weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Kz3LRpu7Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YziOcMKnQJg (only game 1 here)

You have to play a very opportunistic style here. You're basically just going to wait around for openings and try to exploit (punishing whiffs, baiting reactions, etc). You can apply good pressure with full jump fairs and just rising aerials in general. Do NOT throw out any grounded dtilts or db1s unless they are perfectly spaced. DS if you are in trouble and need a getaway, given there is a platform above you.

Once you separate them, you shouldn't necessarily just go for nana. I always mix it up. One of the easiest the best things to do is pretend you are going after nana and while popo gets desperate to stop you, you turn around and knock him away. Then you have a free pass to go after nana.

sanguinity

Smash Rookie
I can see why you consider yourself good; looked great. Unfortunately I have some technical skills I should probably get up to par first. I'm not a good powershielder and I don't spotdodge much, and basically use my shield too much overall. I sometimes suck at fast falling, I usually do rising fairs with a fast fall afterward.

i have a surprising amount of difficulty killing popo sometimes too. idk, maybe its cause i choke or something?

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Do any of you use grounded b-reversals? doing a shield breaker in the opposite direction you were running basically instantly is pretty **** imo

Nike.

Smash Hero
I thought that was gonna be about marth's MU's for some reason x)

So I'm looking at how the marth's did at P5.

Kadaj - Lost to MVD and immediately played Atomsk in Losers. Wow that's a hella hard bracket.

Pierce - Beat PikaPika, lost to ESAM, beat Fino, and lost to Logic.

Nobody else made it into bracket. In the Amateur Bracket:

Bengalrz - Beat PeachKid, lost to Bloodcross (wow, you got a top2 player early), and lost to Googs (stupid diddy).

Iliad - I've never even heard of Iliad, but he placed 13th. Beat PokemonMaster, lost to Slikvik (what's with marth's playing the best players early lol), beat Sumer, lost to Gunblade (eww metaknight).

Ebo - He's #9 in Pennsylvania, but that's all I know about him :( He actually pretty good and got 7th. Lost to an IC's main early in the bracket and blew through Losers. Beat the Diddy that took out Bengalz, but lost to another IC's main :(

Punishment Divine didn't enter Amateur Bracket.

How come Neo didn't enter?

I hope there's vids of all these guys :)
Theres P5 indo. Check the Video thread, ALOTTTT of Bengalrz and Kadaj vids are up.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Why did you ask that in EVERY SINGLE character forum (substituting Marth for other characters)?

Either 50:50 or 55:45 Marth advantage.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Plank the ledge

If you have a stock lead and are well into kill percent, you couldddd DB stall to the top (if builds up percent, though)

Don't leave the ground

Rei-Gun alwaysssss goes to PS2, he knows alot about the stage.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Marth's air mobility is pretty high up there. If you get caught high up, you should be able to just get away from most characters and not have to worry about landing. Don't be scared to go for the ledge, which, given the above should be fairly easy. And remember that upwards knock-back is increased (by, 10% or something) so keep that in mind for your and your opponent's percents. Honestly it's gonna be one where you're probably stalling out. It should go without saying to stay grounded and abuse your good ground game and juggles.

something like that...

Rad

Smash Ace
Thanks for the responses, they make a lot of sense. One more question though. If I get my opponent in the air/offstage, is it ever sensible to follow up in the air? It feels much clumsier than maintaining an advantage from on the stage, but that could just be because I'm not used to it.

Thanks again

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I typically wouldn't do it unless it could lead to a kill. If you can manage to stay under them and fall as fast or faster than them, you can still keep a good advantage. Basically, just be sure not to over-pursue and get back to the ground first. Just know that you're temporarily giving up your better, grounded options and mobility. Off stage, if they're not too high up, it can be advantageous, since you should be getting back to the platform with much more ease than they will.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ideally... if you're actually pretty precise, you can buffer a cg up to 3 fthrows into dancing blade/fsmash/dtilt (VERY HARD TO DO)

but yeah... fthrow them towards a ledge.... dancing blade or dtilt them, take their jump, gg stock.

Top Bottom