• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Because he's taking a standardized test and not a lame spanish final that anyone can ace without much effort?
I never gave a crap about any standardized test I ever took. Because standards were always too low. TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills, for you non-Texans) was my favorite joke every year. I nearly aced every section each year. It was unbelievably easy... I can't believe there was a failure rate at all, especially considering you only failed if you got like 60% or less.
And I didn't study at all for, sleep before, or eat before my SAT and I got about 500 points above average.

Honestly, I'd spend more time on a Spanish final than a standardized test.

SAN, thank you for finishing that LT tourney. And thank you for winning as well! And I swear, your long-lost twin is in my Aural Skills IV class... he looks a lot like you.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I never gave a crap about any standardized test I ever took. Because standards were always too low. TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills, for you non-Texans) was my favorite joke every year. I nearly aced every section each year. It was unbelievably easy... I can't believe there was a failure rate at all, especially considering you only failed if you got like 60% or less.
And I didn't study at all for, sleep before, or eat before my SAT and I got about 500 points above average.

Honestly, I'd spend more time on a Spanish final than a standardized test.

SAN, thank you for finishing that LT tourney. And thank you for winning as well! And I swear, your long-lost twin is in my Aural Skills IV class... he looks a lot like you.
Brett, your statement is pretty stupid. You might have done well on your SAT without studying and etc, but how many people can repeat that success by doing what you did? Most people, including me prepare long ahead for these kinda tests, even people who are in the top 5% of the class take the SAT seriously. If you do really well on the SAT, you're chances of going to a good college increase tremendously. That can't be said the same for a Spanish final, which btw, difficulty varies depending on if it's a higher level of Spanish (Honors, Regulars, AP, etc.).

Point being SAT > Spanish Final.

Standardized tests are even more important for college graduates. Perfect example would be a pre-med student. A person with a 3.3 gpa with an MCAT score of 34 is more likely to get into a Med school compared to someone with a 3.5 with an MCAT score of 32. That stuff matters a lot.

The only joke standardized test around is TAKS...cause if you don't know who your first president is, you need to be booted out of the country.

EDIT: I'm sure Kimchi is a smart kid, with good grades. He needs a good score on his SAT to get into a good college. When I say good, I don't mean UTD or even A&M, but more along the lines of Vanderbilt, Duke, Cornell, etc.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Here in California we have the CAHSEE (CAlifornia High School Exit Exam) which is so amazingly easy that I can't imagine anyone losing a point on it, much less failing it.

The SAT is a bit more serious, however. I recommend you study for it if you can, it's going to be a major asset for you later on. I didn't study for it too much and got a 2040 but that was a poor decision on my part since the SAT holds so much weight with colleges. My high school GPA was decent (3.6) but it was nothing special so I'm glad my comparatively good SAT score was there to back it up. Still surprised I got into college though, haha.

tl;dr You're in school, do the work.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I found the SAT fairly easy. >_> <_<

1750 on it.

TAKS was pathetically easy.

College? *twitches* All they do is read out of the textbook...word for word....and they are getting paid how much to do so? What a joke...

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Niddo, some professors do that, but I haven't ran into one that has done it here at WSU. Well, there is one right now that reads from the book...

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Series of good points
I agree completely about the higher level tests like MCAT. That's real ****.

I'm just saying that tests like TAKS have their standards way too low. SAT is different because different schools look at it different ways. But I'll also say that I only applied to one college because with my SAT score of 1980 (average was like low-mid 1500s) and a GPA of like.. 3.1-3.2, I knew I would get in. And that's a state university. So, meh.
I just never liked high-school level standardized tests because I think standards are low enough that kids don't learn enough.
Of course, at the same time, I loved them because I thought they were easy.

Just don't think I'm putting down things like the MCAT. I'd take that really seriously if I were to take it.
Brett, are you going to Phase 5?
Yes sir.

Niddo, college professors don't just read from a textbook word for word. And almost all of the ones that do either:
a) co-wrote the textbook
b) have their subject pretty well mastered ANYWAY and looked hard to find a textbook they like/agree with enough
c) don't get paid (doing it for their degree) (usually ties in with b).

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
1750 on a 2400 scale? <_< Study harder buddy.
The thingy said that score was above average. >_> Good enough for me, considering I only studied a few days beforehand. That, and I only remember hearing about a few people in my area scoring higher.

@Brett: No, I wrote down notes on what they said word for word, and then looked in the textbook. Exact same for all of my subjects with textbooks. They even used the exact same pictures. -_-

Screw UTSA.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
The thingy said that score was above average. >_> Good enough for me, considering I only studied a few days beforehand. That, and I only remember hearing about a few people in my area scoring higher.
Screw UTSA.
1700s are "above average" only because there are some people who do terribly (duh)!

I'd say the true "good" average scores are high 1800s / low 1900s. Those are the averages of high ranking universities (averages of the incoming freshmen).

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills, for you non-Texans) was my favorite joke every year. I nearly aced every section each year. It was unbelievably easy... I can't believe there was a failure rate at all.
This is very true =D no need for studying its soooooooo simple
Slaps, are you going to Phase 5?
Fix'd =D and yes I am thanks for asking :chuckle:
WSU is a good college. It has a good engineering program.
I will keep that in mind next year when i gotta think about it.
I found the SAT fairly easy. >_> <_<

1750 on it.
I have only taken PSAT and i got a 1680. Only due to the fact that i lost track of time on the first section and had like 7 questions unanswered =\. Same with the end of the last section which i had 3 unanswered =\. I got like 510 on the critical reading, 470 on writing skills and 700 on mathematics which i completely dominated. A few reading errors caused me to miss a few on the math section =[.

In the end i believe SAT math is pretty easy lol. Language stuff is a bit more difficult, at least for me lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend

@Brett: No, I wrote down notes on what they said word for word, and then looked in the textbook. Exact same for all of my subjects with textbooks. They even used the exact same pictures. -_-

Screw UTSA.
LOL. My physics teacher did that here. He's a horrible teacher, and the homework + tests were stupidly hard compared to anything from the book.

Got an A- though.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
lol@standardizedtests

Almost no one takes the PSSAs (Pennsylvania standardized... something... assessment... or something) seriously. I don't even know what it stands for. In the science section, I wrote about how wizards are the cause of water temperature increase.

Also, 1790 on SATs without reading/studying a single thing. And I would not call that above average, but maybe my standards are higher because half the people I know get 2000+.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Well, I just took the SAT last Saturday, I think I did well without studying and the Math sections were somewhat easy while the Language sections were sort of difficult >.>
Gotta wait about 13 more days for the score lol

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
1700s are "above average" only because there are some people who do terribly (duh)!

I'd say the true "good" average scores are high 1800s / low 1900s. Those are the averages of high ranking universities (averages of the incoming freshmen).
Those aren't the common scores around here. >_>

It honestly doesn't affect me that much as I'll be moving back to Canada and all. :laugh:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
SATs don't matter as much if you're trying to get into a local city college (unless you want a full ride). You can get away without studying. However, schools like UT Austin, Duke, UCLA, etc require excellence in both academics and SAT. Of course, SAT has a bit more weight to it.

benaji261!

Smash Ace
Haven't taken the SAT yet, but am going into the Air Force and am going to college. Will I need to take the SAT? I will even if I don't have to. I wanna see what it's all about.

btw I'm not Asian and I love math. :(

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Haven't taken the SAT yet, but am going into the Air Force and am going to college. Will I need to take the SAT? I will even if I don't have to. I wanna see what it's all about.
\(
Gotta take it.

Even if you weren't going to college I might recommend you take it to keep your options open.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
SAT is important, whether you want it to be or not. Even for something like a community college, you better at least take that sucker and try to do well.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yes, I like the ">_> <_<" faces.

Yes, you should take the SAT BejwhatsyournameI'mtoolazytoflipbackapageandlook.

I actually took the SAT twice. The first time I did well in two sections, but not as good in one section. The second time, I did better in the one section, and worse in the other two, and ended up with a score that was 50 points lower overall. lol

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Critical reading section can suck a nut. I made the English multiple choice section my *****, though. I wrote an AWFUL essay because it was a political subject, and I am not the political type, and I got 700 something on that section.
I love that people in general are bad with grammar. It gives me good grades on stuff like that. I miss spelling tests from elementary and middle school. =[

MISTAH DOOM. Are you going to Dallas or elsewhere this weekend?

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
I loathe the SAT's. Especially now being out of 2400. What makes it more irritating is that there's a variable section that isn't counted towards your score, or for anything.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Thought about going to St. Louis, but I changed my mind. That bounty down in TX looks delicious, though.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Total randomness: I heard Brett is a good pianist. If I were to play the piano, it would be comparable to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RnUAsUjPPU

In my earlier times, I had considered being a pianist, and a few people suggested that I play piano since my fingers are so long. Wait wut? Kingdras don't have fingers...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Pokemon is long overdone now. Got stupid after the first season.
Same with Digimon. What do they do now? Speed dial a digivolve?
Same with the other random series in YuGiOh. Freakin dueling while racing on motorcycles wtf?
Penta, gtfo.
Let's go back to the old school disney cartoons. Not this suite life of zack and cody ****.
Red-X worships me.
Mr. Doom is in search for Mrs. Doom.
In reality, Yagami ain't every light...he's dark.
That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom