• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000

That and some other stupid stuff are reasons why hardly anyone wants to record matches against me. I'm portrayed as this guy who loves to make others look like scrubs on YouTube.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
That and some other stupid stuff are reasons why hardly anyone wants to record matches against me. I'm portrayed as this guy who loves to make others look like scrubs on YouTube.
Heh. You shouldn't put yourself down like that. There's probably plenty of people, lol.
I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.Haven't played brawl in too many weeks. Too lazy to set my TV up when I got back home.

I thought I was going to play on break, but I've just been catching up playing some new DS games like Zelda: Spirit Tracks and old PS2 games like FFX =(

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Ah, don't worry about it. I don't think I'm putting myself down.

Meh, I've been playing Pokémon Sapphire lately. Trying to get really good Individual Values is tedious...

Somebody Else: I believe all the necessary threads have been created. There is no need to create more.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
I've pretty much been geeking out over Final Fantasy XIII. A little studying thrown in here and there, but FFXIII has been my obsession for the past few days.

@Mr. Doom: I did the exact same thing to a friend of mine last Friday. Its always epic. The Tekken theme in the first clip pleased me as well.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Catching one person with a laggy eruption on Castle Siege's statue is one thing, but catching two people? That's just plain awesome, wouldn't you agree? I know it's an old topic, but I figured I just bring it up anyway. I thought the eruption technique would be a one-time thing, but I thought wrong...

Victim #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34o7svHEc6I#t=3m5s

Victim #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZmTkBB7EZ0#t=0m52s
wow..that is really interesting lol
i mean it was known already but i didn't think it lasted that long :o
i am hungry to try that out now

@metriod
if your going to new york, you should go to a tourney here around the first week of January:o lulz
if you're staying here that long

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So, what SHOULD you create a new thread for? o_O
Groundbreaking new things that could develop Ike's overall game to the next level. We don't want people making topics about things that are...

Old
Can be answered in the GENERAL Q&A Thread
Spam

And the groundbreaking news has to be pretty big. It can't be something simple as "LOL, I found a use for D-Smash" or "Hey! You can do sliding smashes on PS2!". Those things don't deserve their own topic. Anyone else can add to this post on what should and shouldn't be made a topic.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Groundbreaking new things that could develop Ike's overall game to the next level or threads about bored. We don't want people making topics about things that are...

Old
Can be answered in the GENERAL Q&A Thread
Spam

And the groundbreaking news has to be pretty big. It can't be something simple as "LOL, I found a use for D-Smash" or "Hey! You can do sliding smashes on PS2!". Those things don't deserve their own topic. Anyone else can add to this post on what should and shouldn't be made a topic.
fixed?
:dizzy:

btw im free to wipi tomorrow if you can(or anyone else)._.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
What's the point of stopping people making threads? Don't you think that's just stifling any conversation on the boards? People can't come and look up new discussions because it's all stuck somewhere disjointedly in Ashu's. People look at the Ike board, assume it's a dead forum because of the lack of posts anywhere but Ashu's and move on. I only happen to be here 'cause I'm a hardcore Ike fan.

If we don't want threads to fall off the front page, well, that's what stickies & bumps are for. The way it works now, all the discussions started on this forum degenerate into crap because people tell them to go post in a single thread, which of course they don't do, because they don't want to double post and repeat themselves. This makes half of the first page useless anyway, when indeed it may have been useful before, if people didn't jump in and naysay. I just feel that telling everyone who makes a new thread that they've done something stupid is counterproductive to discussion. We know we're not going to find any new groundbreaking techniques, it's been nearly two years since the game's release, it's highly unlikely we're going to find any new things. How I see it, any discussion someone wants to have is either shut down by people saying it's useless and telling them to shut up, or is attempted in Ashu's and lost in the huge amount of general chat. Why not open up the board to some friendly banter and discussion except for only the regulars wanting to post?

...Wow, I posted that intending to write about two sentences.

Mr Doom, your videos have a habit of having awesome moments.

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
Catching one person with a laggy eruption on Castle Siege's statue is one thing, but catching two people? That's just plain awesome, wouldn't you agree? I know it's an old topic, but I figured I just bring it up anyway. I thought the eruption technique would be a one-time thing, but I thought wrong...

Victim #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34o7svHEc6I#t=3m5s

Victim #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZmTkBB7EZ0#t=0m52s
Wow, nice Mr.Doom ! I'm gonna try it o)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Frankly: we half want it to look like a dead board. This board has the "Roy Syndrome": lots of clueless fanboys. Anything we do to keep them away is a good thing. We've had more then our share of clueless noobs, and annoying, oneliner posters. We don't want anymore.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I actually agree with making this place look like a ghost town. Almost everything having to do with Ike can be discussed here or (in extreme scenarios) one of the other sticky topics. As long as this topic is healthy (and it sure looks to be that way) this board will be fine. Random fanboys won't find this place as fast and the people with actual discussion topics will.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Yep. They'll get no sympathy from us.

Ashu's is where we like to keep stuff. It's our discussion thread. And we'd rather have ideas for new threads discussed in Ashu's. If you've been here for a while, you'll notice that's what we have done for a while. It's how we came up with the Ike Profiles thread.

I need to go do the rest of my Christmas shopping today. It's getting a little late.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What's the point of stopping people making threads? Don't you think that's just stifling any conversation on the boards? People can't come and look up new discussions because it's all stuck somewhere disjointedly in Ashu's. People look at the Ike board, assume it's a dead forum because of the lack of posts anywhere but Ashu's and move on. I only happen to be here 'cause I'm a hardcore Ike fan.

If we don't want threads to fall off the front page, well, that's what stickies & bumps are for. The way it works now, all the discussions started on this forum degenerate into crap because people tell them to go post in a single thread, which of course they don't do, because they don't want to double post and repeat themselves. This makes half of the first page useless anyway, when indeed it may have been useful before, if people didn't jump in and naysay. I just feel that telling everyone who makes a new thread that they've done something stupid is counterproductive to discussion. We know we're not going to find any new groundbreaking techniques, it's been nearly two years since the game's release, it's highly unlikely we're going to find any new things. How I see it, any discussion someone wants to have is either shut down by people saying it's useless and telling them to shut up, or is attempted in Ashu's and lost in the huge amount of general chat. Why not open up the board to some friendly banter and discussion except for only the regulars wanting to post?

...Wow, I posted that intending to write about two sentences.

Mr Doom, your videos have a habit of having awesome moments.
While it is true that stuff that people bring up in Ashu's has most likely been mentioned in some earlier page, we honestly don't care. If someone comes in here and asks us about tap jump, we are more than willing to help them. They ask a question, they get their answer. You know...kinda like a Q&A. If someone comes in a week later and asks the same thing, we'll answer it again.

Now imagine if someone comes in, makes a topic about tap jump, and we answer it. A week later, someone, who doesn't bother reading the thread (like all these thread starters do) comes in and makes the same thread. It's a waste of space and the guy is asking to be bagged on.

Going along with what the others said, we want to keep those fanboys/Non-Dedicated people off of our thread. They come in, make a thread, ask a question, and leave to never be seen again. This is why I'm against answering people's questions who have a low post count, and just posted to get one answer. I hate to say it, but they are casual players, and I don't like them wasting space around here.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
You're talking about simple quick-answer, yes/no questions. But what about people who actually want to have a discussion? A case in point; Zanthir's post asking about practicing and training alone. He was an Ike player looking to improve, and you guys basically said he shouldn't post anything until he learns more. You said go read the guides, but there's nothing really about drills and such that you can do alone, only that "you should use Brawl mode, not Training mode" and "don't train to use anything useless". Nothing in there about what you actually should do, things that can actually help out. And the guides are't being updated any more; any discussion people have about something specific will be lost into the depths of various threads, and people won't search through 20+ pages to find something that might not even be there, let alone through the 480+ pages of Ashu's. They may however search back a page or two on the forum, giving them the information they need. All those junk topics are going to be made anyway by people who haven't read the rules; but the useful topics will be just made inside Ashu's. So instead of seeing an already made thread on their chosen topic on the front page, they're not going to realise their topic has already been discussed and go ahead and post a new topic. Plus it's near impossible to reopen something for discussion if it was 50 pages ago in Ashu's and you want to talk about something from that.

We have a practically unlimited amount of space here, I don't get why that's an issue. What's wrong with having a couple duplicated topics bouncing around? Different people will discuss the topic each time the thread is made, and different information will be written about. Of course there are some who would see the topic twice; it doesn't really make any actual difference to you though, does it? Maybe that's why there are no new ground-breaking techniques being discovered; because you keep stopping people from discussing things.

I just think it's a bit... unfriendly that everyone is so opposed to people chatting on the board. If you don't like what's being posted, you can always... not read it o_O

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I don't think there's unlimited space on these boards if veterans are constantly telling newcomers to NOT MAKE NEW THREADS and POST IN ASHU'S.

On a side note, how about them japanese Ikes, particularly Selcia since he's the best Ike in Japan and his style entertains me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXMf5Cf-W5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKhqnh3Br68
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWg0Dqphons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_P_2sEc4qc

Those are Selcia's latest matches which are crew battles, he's pretty **** good.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
An alternative would be restructuring the Ashunera's OP to include a resolved question index where we could link the question to the appropriate post or page that answers the said question.

benaji261!

Smash Ace
An alternative would be restructuring the Ashunera's OP to include a resolved question index where we could link the question to the appropriate post or page that answers the said question.
Yea that does seem like a good idea and we'd have to wait till someone started doing that AND follow up with questions being asked from when said person started doing it and so on. I don't think looking up previous questions in 480+ pages would be on the guy's to-do list. lol

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
I like some of his playstyle quite a lot. Some of those pivot grab predictions are just superhuman O_O Good stuff on separating ICs. Beautiful sliding pivot grab at 5:09 in last match :p

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I just think it's a bit... unfriendly that everyone is so opposed to people chatting on the board. If you don't like what's being posted, you can always... not read it o_O
The thing is though, we want to encourage newcomers to post in Ashu's and be active here. New threads with a specific topic die away in a day or two but if the same thing is discussed in Ashu's, the person who brought it up may want to stick around and get advice to improve their Ike or whatever.

We're not opposed to people chatting on the board, we're just opposed to people making threads with limited subject material that will just end up going to waste anyways. They might as well be redirected here where they can meet all of us and get everyone's opinions on their questions or ideas.

Believe me, I was of the same opinion as you and I argued my case several months ago. You can ask anyone who's been here longer than me (which is a lot of the current regulars). I changed my mind as time went on though.

:034:

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
You have a good point Nys... But there's no point in scaring people off by saying "you did something wrong! post here next time!". Regulars shouldn't be passive-aggressive towards people who just post a thread on the Ike forum. People should simply be encouraged to post in Ashu's if your idea was to work better, maybe by saying "hey, we'd rather discuss this in [Ashu's], I'll repost the question for you(?) and you'll get a better answer from everyone who resides in that thread". Not as if we can't post nicely in new threads anyway. The information is better set out that way anyway, and is more accessible.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I didn't post anything in that thread that would have scared someone off (in my original post anyways). I'm always perfectly polite and concise when greeting newcomers in their threads, but we can't move the topic into Ashu's for them for a few reason:

- Then it would likely get discussed and abandoned without them
- We want them to learn first-hand how we do things here

We usually just send a link to Ashu's and give them the option of re-posting their idea, comment or question there. If they're genuinely interested and want to become a part of the Ike boards, they'll comply. If not... well they won't find sympathy here.

:034:

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
The answer is there is no reason why someone wouldnt just answer an earnest discussion provoking question aside from being a pretentious bandwagoning douche and letting it be understood that one should be in the know despite such obviously not being the case since theyre generally new.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You have a good point Nys... But there's no point in scaring people off by saying "you did something wrong! post here next time!". Regulars shouldn't be passive-aggressive towards people who just post a thread on the Ike forum. People should simply be encouraged to post in Ashu's if your idea was to work better, maybe by saying "hey, we'd rather discuss this in [Ashu's], I'll repost the question for you(?) and you'll get a better answer from everyone who resides in that thread". Not as if we can't post nicely in new threads anyway. The information is better set out that way anyway, and is more accessible.
No one gives these strangers the bizness except Niddo. Metroid, NYS, and a few others just say go to Ashu's. What to do they do? They DON'T go to Ashu's. What does that tell you? They don't give a **** about seriously improving with Ike, let alone wanting their original question answered. They were just hoping to walk in, get a question answered, and walk out.

This is a common theme among popular forums. I'm a member of the bodybuilding.com forums, and the same stuff happens. Whenever someone brings up a topic that has been created a million times before, they say "Use the search button". Seriously, it's just people being impatient and not taking their time to look around. I mean for Brett's sake, the first thing you see when you click the Ike thread is "Ashunera's Library. Q&A". How clear can that be?

I honestly think we should make a sticky thread where we have rules on posting in the Ike boards. No one bothers to look up the rules in general (wherever that thread is located), so we should make one for here. It might gain some attention for the curious.

Also, I agree with having a section in Ashu's where the answer to a certain question is linked. Then again, I would just walk in here and ask the question again anyways.

I don't think there's unlimited space on these boards if veterans are constantly telling newcomers to NOT MAKE NEW THREADS and POST IN ASHU'S.

On a side note, how about them japanese Ikes, particularly Selcia since he's the best Ike in Japan and his style entertains me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXMf5Cf-W5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKhqnh3Br68
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWg0Dqphons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_P_2sEc4qc

Those are Selcia's latest matches which are crew battles, he's pretty **** good.
Hey look at me. I like to run, shield, run, shield, run, shield, pivot grab! Aww snap! You didn't see that coming did ya? Don't worry about it, I'm so flashy you can't hit me, but incase you do get a hit on me, I ain't gonna shield, cause I have so much confidence in my flashy abilities, I don't bother shielding when I have to. I only shield when I start running. That's the only right time to shield anyways.

Guy is overrated. All offense, no defense.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Hey look at me. I like to run, shield, run, shield, run, shield, pivot grab! Aww snap! You didn't see that coming did ya? Don't worry about it, I'm so flashy you can't hit me, but incase you do get a hit on me, I ain't gonna shield, cause I have so much confidence in my flashy abilities, I don't bother shielding when I have to. I only shield when I start running. That's the only right time to shield anyways.

Guy is overrated. All offense, no defense.
I saw Ren's comment in one of Selcia's older matches and he pretty much said the same thing, he was like "My defensive game is better than this guy's but his offensive game is pretty good", something like that and then he got thumbs downed and got trolled by some idiots lol

Honestly, I can try to learn an offensive game from Selcia.

**** you Brett ;[

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
My defensive game isn't all that, either. I hardly ever put up my shield when I need to. My videos are proof of such, if you don't believe. That's what I get for playing Doom, where you literally have to spot-dodge all attacks.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Haha, Red, I think your offensive game is better than his. I mean, from what I've seen.

Random fact: I think I saw the dude use Nair once. Or around that many times.

I dunno. I didn't see very much that was special about him that I haven't seen before. And I just saw him do the same **** things over and over again. I mean, what Bored said about run, shield, run, shield, pivot ZOMGGGGG. And then WAIT... I get you offstage and TRY TO FAIR YOU WHEN YOU COME BACK LAWLLLLLL ZOMG.
Every time.
EVERY time.

I thought you were trolling the Japanese Ikes, honestly. Lol.

I think several of us in this forum = better than that guy and don't need to be watching him to learn anything.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
That's an entertaining Ike to watch even if he doesn't use the standard form of "defense." In a way though he integrates defense into his offensive game using dash shield jabs and dash spotdodge jabs. It's a bit basic of a concept but if he fleshes it out a bit he could turn out to be even more amazing.

Minor Edit: I still think American Ike's are better but I wouldn't say you can't learn anything from watching other Ikes.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
As long as he does something which makes me go from -_- to o_O or he does something, even if it's something small, that I haven't really thought much about, it's fine with me.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
People don't really read stickied threads first though, they immediately look for the first non-sticky thread. At least that's what I normally do. Anyways, I'm gonna calm down now and do things your way for a while :p Sorry, Nys (and everyone else), I didn't mean to imply you (or anyone else) is actually impolite.

He does seem to be a bit predictable but he has a great control of his character. With a bit more ingenuity/mix-up, he could be extremely good.

NAir is pretty shieldgrabbable with good reactions, isn't it?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
\
NAir is pretty shieldgrabbable with good reactions, isn't it?
This depends on exactly two things. How good the opponents grab range is + how fast it comes out.

For example Game and Watch can't shieldgrab you out of Nair if you space it correctly because his grab range is poor.

Samus can't shieldgrab you because her grab takes forever to come out.

Actually I'm fairly sure only a handful of characters can grab you out of Nair if you space properly. If you suck at spacing though expect to be shieldgrabbed by stuff like Sonic.

Palpi

Smash Hero
There may be 8 characters (atleast...im guessing) that can grab but, there is probably some OoS options from characters, with longer range than their grabs, for punishing.

Palpi

Smash Hero
CHUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

This dudes the **** =]

We should totally discuss lucas for the next MU discussion. The mu is pretty tough...for me atleast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom