• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Inui was playing Ike like brawl just came out :\ Too many spot dodges, only fairs, no uairs *tear* (such an amazing approach from above <3), and TOO MUCH DOUBLE JUMP. But hey, its working for him, just we Ike mains can read through it so easily :\

And seriously Ike's partner needs to be 4th port not him 4th port.
He doesn't completely disregard UAir; I distinctly remember him killing Ozz with it in one of the matches (I only watched the first set though). He does, in my opinion, need more USmash and less UTilt though.

I think Inui's playstyle revolves more around doing what is safest (except for the occasional QD recovery); he doesn't do much jab cancels because anything except jab -> jab is not guaranteed, and even then it is escapable by good DI. I believe that is also why he sticks to using UTilt instead of USmash; it is because UTilt has less ending lag and is therefore harder to punish. Also, Ike's spotdodge is pretty good frame-wise - it only has 5 frames where it can be punished (which is about average compared to the rest of the cast, but good nevertheless). I don't think he's a terrible Ike, but by no means is he one of the best, either; if he used more USmash for killing/punishing, grabs, and jab canceling though, I could see him getting up there.

•Col•

Smash Champion
No he has to be 4th slot (or 3rd if you're 4th) cause Ike's partner needs to be lower port than both enemies. otherwise you get hit out of grab instead of enemies like what happened one video. Of course experienced Ikes know to space their fsmash anyways to not damage their partner
I think you might have gotten that backwards...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169109

Faux Super Armor occurs when a player is grabbing another player and status effect of any kind (this includes explosives) hits both of them. If the player who is in a grab (grabbing or being grabbed has no difference) has a higher player slot (P4) then he will take the damage regularly but not be affected by knock back.
Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GsUzuzc8go&fmt=18

Inui was port 4, Xyro was port 1. At 2:27, Ike charged an fsmash while Ness was holding Samus. He hit them both, Samus died, Ness took the damage but didn't get the knockback.

You want Ike to be 1st or 2nd port... And even then, if Ike is 2nd port and his partner is 3rd, if the 4th port person grabs the 3rd port person and Ike fmsashes, his teamate will be killed.

Basically, whenever the person has the higher port number, they don't take the knockback from an attack if they're grabbing or being grabbed.... Unless I have miss-understood...

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Team with you? Please.

Actually, i don't do teams, cause I have yet to develop a consistent base of chemistry with someone. The closest I'm with is Px or Brett.
Speaking of which, if we both go to fests/Dallas events while we're in both in town over the break, I want to do some team games. I have barely played teams at all since you transferred to Austin and I want to see how it would go. Friendlies/MMs/Tourney/whatever. Don't care. I just want to play.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think you might have gotten that backwards...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169109

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GsUzuzc8go&fmt=18

Inui was port 4, Xyro was port 1. At 2:27, Ike charged an fsmash while Ness was holding Samus. He hit them both, Samus died, Ness took the damage but didn't get the knockback.

You want Ike to be 1st or 2nd port... And even then, if Ike is 2nd port and his partner is 3rd, if the 4th port person grabs the 3rd port person and Ike fmsashes, his teamate will be killed.

Basically, whenever the person has the higher port number, they don't take the knockback from an attack if they're grabbing or being grabbed.... Unless I have miss-understood...
I kept thinking lower went to 4th. I'm thinking first port is highest since first is the highest place :laugh:

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Speaking of which, if we both go to fests/Dallas events while we're in both in town over the break, I want to do some team games. I have barely played teams at all since you transferred to Austin and I want to see how it would go. Friendlies/MMs/Tourney/whatever. Don't care. I just want to play.
I GET DIBS ON BORED FIRST!!!!!!!! I have never gotten to team with another Ike main... except friendlies at Phase 4 but we weren't even playing as our mains.. =[

Also to contribute to port discussion, basically put, the Lower Port takes the hit. I think i made comment on vid with Samus grabbing Ness about it.

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
o_o your are totally crazy dude !!!

I've just fought an Ollimar mainer in a crew battle, he ***** me ._. His grab range is amazing :(

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I've talked with icylight, and he's pretty adamant about the 6-4. I think it's a little tougher, 65:35, but I definitely don't think it's unwinnable. 65:35 is still pretty dang hard, though.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
65:35 means you're in for one hell of a time if the opponent plays correctly.

To me that seems to describe the Olimar matchup quite well, haha.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
True. If the olimar gets jabbed just once, that puts olimar in one hell of a bad position though, but it's possible to play against Ike without getting jabbed that easily, which is why I think it's 65:35 over 6:4. But the olimar has to play a certain way, and keeping his game fresh and unpredictable (aka not letting the Ike inside) is the challenge.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
if Olimar is 6-4 then there is no reason for Ike to me low tier -.-

Unless Ike is doing that Nair > spot dodge with proper spacing and 1 frame timing... maybe we're missing something?

how about 38/62 MU?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
if Olimar is 6-4 then there is no reason for Ike to me low tier -.-

Unless Ike is doing that Nair > spot dodge with proper spacing and 1 frame timing... maybe we're missing something?

how about 38/62 MU?
It's obviously 2/3 MU in Oli's favor. So in numbers that's...

33.333-66.333

With the remainder .334 being random hax.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
theeboredone
omg wtf, it's Hylian on the Ike boards. Obviously he's gonna be maining Ike now.

*benaji261

Fix'd. :I

*goes in cave...* ._.
Ya know, if you would stop making stupid posts and topics, you wouldn't be bagged on so much. Aren't you 18 or something? You should know better. It's as if this is your first time being on a internet forum, and you don't know the basic rules of online talk.

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
True. If the olimar gets jabbed just once, that puts olimar in one hell of a bad position though, but it's possible to play against Ike without getting jabbed that easily, which is why I think it's 65:35 over 6:4. But the olimar has to play a certain way, and keeping his game fresh and unpredictable (aka not letting the Ike inside) is the challenge.
I can remember he got out of the jab very quickly, why should it be a bad position for the Olimar ?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm still maining Sonic, but I've found that I do pretty well with Ike, so I'm taking him on as a secondary.

Good investment, Y/N? Maining only him for Low Tiers, too.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike destroys Low Tiers. Yes it is. You might want to compare their MU numbers as well, I believe there are a few match ups where Ike does better then Sonic.

Olimar is best on the ground, not in the air blade. When he gets out, he's in the air and can't punish us with grab. Meaning we have a lot better chance of hitting him with things.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Sweet. I'll keep Sonic around for the tough ones like MK/Snake/Diddy/Falco/all of top tier lol

I know that last time I faced a DK user, I beasted him with Ike. So you're probably right. Good investments are awesome. Thanks a lot.

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
Okay, thanks Niddo. So the key to beat Olimar is to fight him in the air ?

PS : Welcom Kuraudo, Ike is the best 8)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike does better against Snake then Sonic does Kuraduo. Just something to keep in mind. Ike goes 4-6, and Sonic goes 35-65 or something like that.

Olimar can't grab you in the air. That instantly makes the MU easier. >_> The key is keeping him in the air, and preferably off stage. lol

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think I'll still use Sonic against Snake. Mainly on stages like Yoshi's Island or Pictochat if the opponent hasn't banned it yet. That's like, Sonic Island, and he rolls right through exploding grenades with no damage.

Otherwise, I'll hafta look into the Ike vs. Snake match-up more. Thanks. I might hafta whip out Ike early for this upcoming weekend instead of going all Sonic.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Well, I've got the best player on the Canadian West Coast (SuPeRbOoM) and he's a Snake main. So I've got practice covered there. :p We play all the time.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Exactly.

BTW. You never apologized earlier, Benjai.

EDIT: Real men START studying for their 8:00am final exams at 4:00am... with no sleep... after half a semester of not attending lectures. Yehhhhh.
I would take any of your classes over mine anyday. K thx.

Also, the only thing I consider tougher than Pre-Med stuff is Electrical Engineering.

Edit: And what my friend is doing...Aerospace Engineering like omg wtf is this ****.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Wow, sucks for you guys... Northwestern is on the quarter system, so I finished my finals last Wednesday :laugh:. Orgo was... not too bad, I managed to scrape a B+ in that course (yeah, Asian fail, but I pretty much screwed myself over with the second midterm so I'm happy >.>).

I know you guys don't play Brawl+ very much, but for those of you who do: What do you think of using FThrow/BThrow to techchase near the edge of the stage? By using either throw and forcing your opponent near the edge, they no longer have the option to roll away from you and are forced to tech in place, roll behind you, or not tech at all. I guess it's a new way to look at things, rather than doing BThrow/FThrow -> dash attack all the time.

Anyways, I'll be going to my first Brawl+ Smashfest for three months... I'll tell you guys how it goes haha.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys ever had a phase where you just completely crashed and burned at Brawl? I seem to be absolutely useless at doing anything at the moment, from predicion to execution of anything more complicated than FAir. :( I feel like I've lost the ability to not sandbag o_O

Also, END OF TERM! Excellent.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It happens, quite often to people, actually. They're slumps. Fortunately, they don't last too long. Sometimes taking a break from something only to come back and adapt to the new scene really helps. Makes you get better faster, having to catch up with everyone again.

I recommend a break if it gets that bad of a crash and burn. I did for a good two months, skill level skyrocketed! Well worth it. That or don't fret about it as much, and even then, use another character to give yourself a break from your main. There's plenty of things you can do to get out of your slump.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Think I might've just failed my Statistics final.......

Oh well. *plays more brawlz*

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Have you guys ever had a phase where you just completely crashed and burned at Brawl? I seem to be absolutely useless at doing anything at the moment, from predicion to execution of anything more complicated than FAir. :( I feel like I've lost the ability to not sandbag o_O

Also, END OF TERM! Excellent.
I used to go through a lot of those, especially when I first started out. I don't want to link wifi to slumps, because well...lag just hurts everyone.

Anyways, slumps come and go, but I once you find a way to get past them (whether it's taking a break, playing with other chars, or trying to fight through it), you will generally become better than you were before. I like to think of it as a "boss battle", where it's a tough grinding out fight, but when you win out, you get a lot of experience and a level up. Also, I think you are less prone to slumps and such when you have gone through more than your share. Either you just adapt quickly, or you just have them flushed out of your system. Either reason is good for you.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike does better against Snake then Sonic does Kuraduo. Just something to keep in mind. Ike goes 4-6, and Sonic goes 35-65 or something like that.

Olimar can't grab you in the air. That instantly makes the MU easier. >_> The key is keeping him in the air, and preferably off stage. lol
Just a note, remember that mains do better against MUs where their 2ndarys are only slightly better to use.

Only time it matters is when you use both chars at the same level. Heck even someone that mains everyone, still has that one char they do best with.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for those replies guys. I'm gonna be taking a break for three weeks from competitive stuff anyway, over the christmas holidays, since I'm going to be away from uni and any serious players. Hopefully that should help out.

I guess I'm not doing that badly anyway, I just beat my friend's Fox (he's pretty epic) a few times in a row, including one hilarious game where I got TWO FSmash kills at low % (which I have recorded, haha), although that was lucky. Maybe it was stress; I had projects due in, and other tasks to do before the end of term, which are all done now.

On the topic of Olimar, I played one the other day in a friendly tournament and won pretty comfortably; I would say that he couldn't have been a good Olimar except that I've seen him beat many other people I play with. No idea how that happened, but I think my tendency to prefer the air helped a lot, and I wasn't grabbed very often. I managed to juggle pretty well too, which is pretty hard for an Olimar to escape, especially if you fake-out and time your UAirs well, you should be able to get in two or three every time he gets hit upwards. Jab1 -> UTilt is your friend :p

Bored, your sig is epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom