• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I am already in the ladder, and it is helping. So just for conformation, reading is trying to force your opposition into habits/ a position that will make them react in a predictable way to the point that you will know what they will do before they do? I always though it was similar to snake's D-throw tech chase.
Reading is used both on the offensive end and defensive end. Like Ryko said, you can use pokes, retreating aerials, and grabs to see what your opponent will do. However...I'm gonna explain a bit more on that.

I think Ryko basically stated the part on reading an opponent's defensive reactions. From there, you can make the adjustment on what to do so you don't miss an attack. Perfect example being that the first time you tried to run and grab your opponent, he spot dodged. You can make the adjustment to either do a running N-air or Pivot grab.

When you are on the defensive end, it's important to take note of at what distances what your opponent does. Here is an example...

*Awesome Bored-Meister is fighting Gay Baby Falco Weenie Man"

*Falco is shooting lazers from far"

"How close do I have to get before he changes his approach? If I'm X distance away, he keeps shooting lasers, but if I'm Y distance away, he does his Illusion move."

*Bored makes adjustment. Bored approaches Y distance, quickly retreats back, and watches as Falco shows up in front of him. Bored does Jabby Jabby Kick Bing Bong*

While that's just a basic example, it's important to note what your opponent is doing when you are on the defense. This can go a long way, because when you are close to winning, expect an opponent to play it more safer. This usually goes hand in hand with any habits revolving around camping. Like the one I used with Falco.

Also, as far as figuring out your opponent's defensive habits, don't become so stale. By this, I mean don't constantly do retreating F-air's and one jab moves. Any smart opponent will notice what you are trying to do and simply counter it.

Finally, I forgot to mention. It's obvious that Brawl matches don't start out with people doing a bunch of random retreating moves to see what your opponent is gonna do. There can be camping, but that's a different story. Anyways, this gets nothing done, as any two good players will notice what the other is trying to do. The best way to see habits is to actually engage in true combat. From there, you can include some safe moves to see what your opponent will do. Because you are already in the flow of match, you can whip out these safe moves to see how your opponent will respond. Doing it in the beginning usually gets you no results.

Woot for being productive in this chat.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Wow.. That's unfortunate.
*Looks at possible second round.* T_T

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i'm facing a link player in the tourney o.o

any tips for this match up?;/
i don't fight link very often lol

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
PS the projectiles.

Gimp him.

Watch out for Jab -> Dsmash IIRC.

KOing moves are Fsmash's second hit (shield in between hits, or roll away, it's that laggy), Ftilt, kinda Up B, and Dair. Dsmash I *think* was a KOing move.

Zair is a pain.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
PS the projectiles.

Gimp him.

Watch out for Jab -> Dsmash IIRC.

KOing moves are Fsmash's second hit (shield in between hits, or roll away, it's that laggy), Ftilt, kinda Up B, and Dair. Dsmash I *think* was a KOing move.

Zair is a pain.
Remember this is WiFi though. PSing will be tough. Just try and close the gap with him as quickly as possible, and shield/spot dodge or shorthop AD as necessary. You can outrange everything but his Zair, so yah, watch out for that.

Otherwise, get him offstage and gimp the crap out of him. Spike or Fair (or anything really) him out of upB and edge-hog his tether (try and figure out early on which he prefers to use and in what situations so you can gimp him effectively).

And yah, his KO moves are limited. Pray he's not too intelligent and uses Dair to try and KO. If he does, avoid and Fsmash that ****.

:034:

metroid1117

Smash Master
i'm facing a link player in the tourney o.o

any tips for this match up?;/
i don't fight link very often lol
Niddo's tips plus:

- Link can shield-grab you quite easily with his long tether; approaching aerially is a bad idea unless Link is using projectiles or his ZAir (in which you can either try to short-hop and airdodge through them or jump above him and come down with a FAir).

- If he gets you in a jab lock, DI towards him; I don't know exactly why it helps, but I remember Kirk saying that if you DI towards them you can escape it.

- Watch out for up+B out of shield, especially if he shields your FAir and you're at high %s.

- Gale boomerang is a pretty dangerous gimping tool when thrown against the stage so it rebounds towards you.

- Walk-off DAir and edgehogs are wonderful in this match-up.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Also, just like any other with tether recovery... if you KNOW they're going to use the tether recovery... walk-off Dair right as they do it.

Link can't survive spikes much better than DK can.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
yea walk off dair works really well against tether users lol

anyway thanks everyone for the tips,i'm pretty confident that i got this :laugh:
so it's all about getting him offstage
and yea,i'll be sure to be ready for some of his jab cancel combos

@Nid and Nysyarc

i actually find it easier to PS on wifi for some reason ;/
that's why the shield dash approach works better for me
but yea, it'll be really helpful here.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Once you get in, link loses. :)

We should talk about the sheik match up with Ike. It is mad gay. Ike's jab clanks with sheik's jab, im forced to approach and then I am at a disadvantage.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Who posted

Arturito_Burrito 405
Ussi 322
comboking 302
Palpi 238
Nidtendofreak 226
Rykoshet 193
Teh Brettster 190
Kirk 163
ilovekimchixD 162
metroid1117 156
theeboredone 136
YagamiLight 126
Colaya 123
san3711 111
Slaps 95
Guilhe 92
Nysyarc 90
HeroMystic 83
Alukard 80
XACE-K 80
Kishin 78
King of Sack 66
SaltyKracka 63
Marauder 57
Melfice z 31
NinjaLink 27
MysticKenji 25
Aurorazoni 22
Sintros 21
PentaSalia 20
Rutger 19
gsninja 18
doom dragon 105 18
Lex Crunch 17
Reapd 16
The Sleepy One 14
PhantomX 12
Atria 12
Jinkwai 11
Chis 11
DevilWillCry 10
Cambriel 9
stingers135 9
bob37898 9
Nick Nasty 9
PeppyWil 9
Melomaniacal 8
_Sync_ 8
Termina 8
fsdfsdgsgdf 7
HW_Dark Link 7
Wyvern-x 7
WingBr 7
Infern Angelis 7
Big O 6
XZA143 6
lcampoy8 6
Betaz 6
neon..? 6
FallenTwilight 6
Beat 6
sasukebowser 5
Kodachrome 5
PrepareYourself 5
Kaito0921 5
chaosscizzors 5
Ricky 5
yellowroy 4
zealotscout 4
Mikey2eyes 4
furiousduffmanx 4
Rorar 4
Successor of Raphael 4
Battletanx_Commander 3
hotgarbage 3
Gabz 3
Black Dragon 2
FuRy Smash 2
Magik0722 2
ook 2
DanGR 2
TwentyTwo 2
DUB 2
Edds 2
Falconv1.0 2
IxxI 2
SmashDeathMatchBrawler 2
PltnmNgl 2
lil cj 2
noobslayer 2
Ich Bin Awesome 2
Kilik 64 2
SuSa 2
mountain_tiger 2
Sephiroths Masamune 2
Glick 1
Melee1 1
jibbyjaont 1
Vader 1
Flamingo 1
kamimari36 1
fatalmztake 1
AlphaDragoon2002 1
.:DRAKE:. 1
DarkDefeater 1
Conspiricy 1
WeLikeIke 1
Mr. Doom 1
PhilMcCloud17 1
Commander_Beef 1
Golden Ike 1
Dojo. 1
Lord_Naomasa 1
xxCANDYxx 1
Rudementry 1
KayLo! 1
JesiahTEG 1
Empy 1
A2ZOMG 1
waveshinespike 1
kown 1
mikeb2010 1
OCTA 1
Buddahmonk 1
d snyde 1
GwJumpman 1
Fuggles 1
3xSwords 1
tonyrulz92 1
-Slash- 1
Ravin 1
Mith_ 1
Kataefi 1
Slasherx 1
Royta 1
Youko 1
MenoUnderwater 1
Killerwatt 1
Kalm 1
Face124 1
Gr1mmy 1
XBart-ManX 1
petrie911 1
SamuraiPanda 1
ses aran 1
Legendary Pikachu 1
Tenki 1
MojoMan 1
hippiedude92 1
World of Darkness 1
Stafy 1
Insetick 1
Xyro77 1
Fox Hater 1
Tonyman 1
Player-1 1
*SniperNightOwl* 1
Rohan 1
IThinkAboutIvysaur 1
Umbreon 1
JoeMotion 1
LuLLo 1

Interesting stuff...

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
^ That game was win.

Except I'd just get to the Spider Queen and end up playing her over and over to get to lvl 99... and then get bored before finishing the game.

I just liked seeing my character get bigger and fancier every 10 levels. Heh.
i loved that game!!! =] lol I'm late but oh well, I own it on Game cube, I should bring it to a Smashfest and me and you can play it Brett lol with the name cheats lol... I was always Blue Valkyrie because we all know Slaps loves being the girl =] lol jk... Nid... Umm I'm Jewish so i gotta kill you! lol jk

oh and Marauder i don't know what those numbers are for but I would guess they are someone's interpretation of the Ikes in skill level.. Maybe you should tell us... Don't know where it came from.. Where did you find it?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Daaang, 17th place with 90 (now 91 I guess) posts. Is this a new feature? Or has it just been very elusive?

:034:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Low Tier 2vs2 at HOBO 18(september 5th,2009)

1: Mike The Headless Chicken (Inui + Xyro)==IKE+SAMUS
2: Hylian+Lee Martin==IKE+IKE
3: Captn Crow (UTDZac + Beah)==ZELDA+MARIO
4: Inui AIDS fest 09 (Royr + Furbs)==FALCON+YOSHI
5: Exposed Sheep (Razer + Gnes)==JIGGS+NESS/BOWSER
5: The Resistance (Dv8ion + pheonic Alpha)==NESS+LUCAS
7: Weapons of *** Destruction (PX + CY)==GANON+NESS
7: Washed Up Doubles God And A Fathead (Tallman + Gea)==LUCAS+NESS
9: Cyphus+esca (Cyphus + esca)==MARIO+SAMUS
9: Maggie and ****fire (Kingdom Come + Magitek)==PKMN T+LUCAS
9: Tighter than a snorlax in a speedo (Zigsta + Magik)==PKMN T+PKMN T
9: PhatKid and Wett Dinosaur (Bwett + Dphat)==YOSHI+NESS
13: Hyrulian Royalty 15X (Batto + ARC)==????+????
13: Ice+p4 (Ice + p4)==PKMN T+NESS
13: HoneyButtaChickenBis (Jerm and Hyro)==LINK+JIGGS/LINK

I just want you guys to know that in the winner finals and Grand finals there were 3 ikes on the screen. I seriously pooped small chunks in my pants. THERE WERE JABS EVERYWHERE!!!

BTW, i dont know how you guys view INUI's ike but it HAS to be top 3 in the USA. Ive played Arturito Burrito's ike and it was ****(and i consider his ike to be top levelish) but INUI's is MUCH better. Not only Inui but LEE MARTIN(the guy that won the GS world USA tourney in 2008) has an ike that is obscene as well. BTW, who are the top 3 ikes?

PS: after this past saturday, i got INSANE respect for ike.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I have known that Inui's ike is amazing. KIMCHI THINKS IM **** RIDING!!!! :)

I would say, san, kirk, and inui. No specific order.

Of those 3, I have only witnessed Inui's Ike in person.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm better than A_B, so iono where that places me. Either between Inui and A_B or around Inui's level. Dunno. However, I do think San's Ike is definitely the best. The rest are up for debate.

I do not know who are the best Doubles Ike players. That title probably goes to Inui since he already is a double's god to begin with.

Palpi

Smash Hero
It is funny, no one knows how good my ike is :)

The only person of any importance to play my ike in singles was Ryko and that was 10 months ago.

Inui got 17th and very close to 13th at viridian 5 with ike. Top 3 Imo.

I got a 1$ MM with him in Ike dittos. ITS ON.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I wish I could goto pound4 and team with A_B but I doubt I am going :(

My ike reaps souls in doubles :(

I know san places very high in doubles in his area too.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I'm better than A_B, so iono where that places me. Either between Inui and A_B or around Inui's level. Dunno. However, I do think San's Ike is definitely the best. The rest are up for debate.

I do not know who are the best Doubles Ike players. That title probably goes to Inui since he already is a double's god to begin with.
idk if you can say that just yet bored you've only been to 1 big tournament and just placed 1 spot higher than me. We met at a time where my ike was pretty off practice but no johns hopefully i can get him in shape for next time we're together.

Plus I think 33rd at whobo kind of beats 25th at hobo 17. Broly also said i was better than him in the texas PR thread so i think you need to make him think that about you too.

And I'm playing FE again so i'm going to be super sick next time we meet :)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
^ Some people at Oh Snap said I was the best Ike they've ever seen and I -know- that's crap. Because I'm pretty sure they've also seen you and Bored. You're both better than I am.

Just throwing it out there that what other people say isn't always necessarily the best way to judge.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
well theres no other way really, if we don't count what other people say then it would just be my word against boreds lol.

I just think its on how legit the people who say it is what matters.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'll do my best to be at the next HOBO. I'll be done fasting and stuff. So as long as I don't have big tests that following Monday, I'll show.

idk if you can say that just yet bored you've only been to 1 big tournament and just placed 1 spot higher than me. We met at a time where my ike was pretty off practice but no johns hopefully i can get him in shape for next time we're together.

Plus I think 33rd at whobo kind of beats 25th at hobo 17. Broly also said i was better than him in the texas PR thread so i think you need to make him think that about you too.
I'm not a firm believer of using credentials as a way of stating the better player. My logic clearly goes about most recent events. With that being said, the fact I did better then you at the last big tournament should imply I do have more skill then you. You may have more experience in these events, and better results, but from the latest big event we both attended, I have to give myself the benefit of the doubt.

It's just like how before the HOBO I went to. Even though I believed I was the best in the SW, I could not admit it logically until I did better than you at the tournament.

Another example would be that because Inui placed well at Viridian, I have to give him the nod over Kimchi. You can make up a lot of excuses such as Kimchi being nervous, first big tourny, etc., but until Kimchi does better, I have to give it to Inui even though I BELIEVE Kimchi is better when he is at his best.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
With that being said, the fact I did better then you at the last big tournament should imply I do have more skill then you.
Than, and contextually it may not prove that at all. I know kirk's better than I am and the one tournament we went to mutually would also prove that but contextually, at the tourney I went to in the midwest I ended up losing to the guy who eventually took first in winner's and loser's, kirk outplaced me significantly but he lost to the exact same guy. All it means is that I ran into said person much earlier.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Bored, did we ever fight? Your name seems familiar to me for some reason.

Oh i also forgot, Mr. DOOM from missuri(or kansas?) is a **** good ike.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
All this stupid **** talking about who's the better Ike by Inui/etc is making me sick. I'm tired of hearing that Inui's Ike is better than mine, I really don't care anymore. Who cares that Inui's better with Ike than I am? People are just rubbing it in my face now. I'll just outplace him at the next tournament and place in the money if I can. And that honestly goes for all of you, consider this: if you know that you're the best, then you should act as the best and provide tips to some of the less skilled Ikes. Not only that, but if you're the best, you should constantly be striving to get better. You have to recognize that even if you're the best, there are still some flaws in your gameplay, or you have some specific matchup problems. Have you honestly seen this by Inui? I sure haven't.

@ Palpi, that's the very reason why I think you're meat riding Inui. Constantly saying that Inui's Ike is the best? I seriously don't care. I'm just tired of seeing the same **** over and over rubbed into my face. Enough with the best Ike talk. Can we move on to something constructive?

@ Inui: If you're reading this, congratulations at winning low tier doubles as Ike with Xyro.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Dude kimchi, im just ****ing around. The only reason i brought it up because you arrogantly said you were getting atleast top 20 at viridian.... and is thinking someone is good meat riding? Xyro asked a question and I merely answered it. you just have this personal grudge to prove that you are better than inui, because If this whole time I was saying san or kirk you wouldn't have brought meat riding up. You may be better than inui, but you have nothing to prove it with.

Also I never said he is the best, I think san is better.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
How about we just say once you reach a certain point, it's really hard to tell who truly best and leave it at that.

Let's agree on that and the fact I'm the worse Ike in Texas, and probably the worse Ike on this board. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom