• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeppyWil

Smash Ace
Nah man, I meant run at the opponent, spotdodge in front of them. Ike's traction, or lack there of, will slide you behind the opponent while you're invincible from the spotdodge, and you can buffer a pivot grab (though I believe it is just the reg. grab animation) or a jab, which will lead into a grab itself. Or just moar jabs.

I actually started doing it for my ICs, since they have an even bigger slide and they benifit from the grab more than anyone else. Still useful for Ike, though.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Nah man, I meant run at the opponent, spotdodge in front of them. Ike's traction, or lack there of, will slide you behind the opponent while you're invincible from the spotdodge, and you can buffer a pivot grab (though I believe it is just the reg. grab animation) or a jab, which will lead into a grab itself. Or just moar jabs.

I actually started doing it for my ICs, since they have an even bigger slide and they benifit from the grab more than anyone else. Still useful for Ike, though.
Hmm... I never thought of that. I guess it could be useful to catch your opponent off-guard, similar to a run-up pivot grab which will sometimes catch me if I'm expecting a DA. Still, it shouldn't be used repeatedly as an approach because people will catch on and it's very punishable with a smash attack if they time it.

Throwing one in once in awhile couldn't hurt though, as long as your opponent reacts to the spot-dodge as if you were going to attack then.

:034:

PeppyWil

Smash Ace
It's useless for quite a few characters, but Ike's has a decent enough slide to it that it can be useful. Decent for punishing certain things.

If I run at my opponent in an Ike ditto, and he starts throwing out jabs, or he throws out a FTilt, I can spotdodge slide behind him and punish with jabs of my own. Then again, he'd probably be smarter if he dodged, expecting a dash attack, but hey, that's why it's a situational punish. I've also punished a Snake FTilt with it (just once). I was a bit too close for DA to function correctly, and my opponent seemed to notice. I ran at him, and he tried to space that FTilt, but I dodged and slid behind him. Jab -> Grab -> Bthrow off the edge. It was a fault on him, though. Once again, 'tis a situational punish. And I use it waaaaay too much. X_X

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yoo

i was playin some ike named renegade on wifi (lolz) and he did some wicked *** chaingrab on my ddd where he'd just grab me, hit me once, and then it'd auto drop me and he could regrab

he did it when i was at like 100%, idk how

what the hell ike mains? @.@

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
yoo

i was playin some ike named renegade on wifi (lolz) and he did some wicked *** chaingrab on my ddd where he'd just grab me, hit me once, and then it'd auto drop me and he could regrab

he did it when i was at like 100%, idk how

what the hell ike mains? @.@
It was Ren, nuff said.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I dunno what he did, prolly wifi bs :)

The new AT is awesome if it is what i think it is. 0-death for ganon (it was so fun lol). Very cool, but situational, almost never going to happen.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
if wifi has some secret mechanic that makes you instantly fall out of ikes grab after one pummel at 100% (i wasnt even mashing buttons to get out) and he can regrab you right away, i'd love to learn more about it >.>

stingers

Smash Obsessed
he's mad good and i'm pretty new to ddd >.> and it was close <.<

but if you can do that trick he did anywhere then **** that must be a close matchup cuz it was some crazy stuff

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Sometimes with DDD he can escape from a grab really fast. Not much more than chance imo.. =/

Kirk

Smash Champion
Thanks to those who watched, it was a lot of fun!

Ryko is too fun to hang out with, and were gonna be rocking doubles at the tourney in Wisconsin tomorrow(today technically).

Nyah~

Kirk

Smash Champion
kirk you're a smash researcher

explain what happened @.@
You're going to have to provide more details if you don't have a video...

--What stage you were on.
--Where on the stage it happened.
--What kind of grabs(standing, dashing, pivot)?
--How many times in a row.
--If they were different grab break animations(i.e. faster/slower).
--Did you try to spotdodge(if it was just a standard release, spot dodging nullifys the 'chaingrab')?
--An overall, detailed description of what occurred.

My first guess is it is just human error, but I really don't have anything to go by at this point giving what you've said.

Kishin

Smash Ace
I remember seeing something that said something about being able to break out of a grab instantly even at high percents. There was a video on it as well but I can't recall the thread nor the video. It was supposedly something about pressing buttons or whatever on the exact frame of the lag hitstun or SOMETHING like that. It's not in the AT thread so I guess no one has explored it thoroughly enough to know the mechanic behind it.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Delfino
The first time it happened on a slant during the beach part, and I originally thought it was because of the slant/DDD being big that the grab glitched out or something and caused it. But later he did it to me on the main stage, so...that's not it.
Standing grabs
Quite a few, I don't know an exact number. He didn't do it for an incredibly long time, he ended up throwing me eventually
Grab break animation looked the same to me every time
Uhh...I don't know if I tried to spotdodge, it looked too fast for me to get out of really, but maybe I could've spotdodged out? The fact it was on wifi would've made that difficult anyway
He grabbed me, pummeled me like once, and I'd auto break out and he'd grab me again. @.@

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
Delfino
The first time it happened on a slant during the beach part, and I originally thought it was because of the slant/DDD being big that the grab glitched out or something and caused it. But later he did it to me on the main stage, so...that's not it.
Standing grabs
Quite a few, I don't know an exact number. He didn't do it for an incredibly long time, he ended up throwing me eventually
Grab break animation looked the same to me every time
Uhh...I don't know if I tried to spotdodge, it looked too fast for me to get out of really, but maybe I could've spotdodged out? The fact it was on wifi would've made that difficult anyway
He grabbed me, pummeled me like once, and I'd auto break out and he'd grab me again. @.@
It might be related to the "Ganondorf grab Glitch" because it is starting to sound a lot like it. While doing the ganon thing, doesn't he auto break if you pummel him? Plus, doesn't it also work on D3 too?

WingBr

Smash Cadet
So nobody willing to answer my questions :(. But I'll try again: hoy you perform jab>jab>bair? just buffering the bair after the second jab (if so, what is the best moment to buffer it?) or you have to jab cancel?
Don't you guys think we need a quick question topic, like in marth boards? I mean, almost everything is said here in ashunera, it gets pretty confusing and disorganized sometimes.

comboking

Smash Master
Yes, Buffer it as soon as you can. You don't have to crouch cancel.
Just use one Jab to Bair. They ignore alot of thing here on the Ike boards.

Also I forgot what is the best way to stop momentum in the air? AD to Jump?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah for, jab -> Bair, it's not guaranteed at all, and some characters can escape very easily if they see it coming. You can do it after just a single jab, but that can be hard to buffer if you're not prepared, so the best way to do it if you catch your opponent close to you is to jab 1 -> jab 2 -> jab 1 -> Bair or just Jab 1 -> Jab 1 -> Bair. It gives you more time to prepare to buffer it. Make sure you always do the Bair out of the punch jab though and not the kick, because it will come out faster.

To buffer it, just hold back on the control stick as soon as you jab, then the instant Ike turns around (you'll have to learn the timing, it doesn't take long to get accustomed to it), tap up and buffer the Bair with the c-stick. At very low percents you can even follow up the Bair with more jabs if your opponent fails to tech.

Oh and sorry we didn't reply to you at first, we must have just missed it. Don't listen to CK, we don't normally ignore people, we're here to help :)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Oh and sorry we didn't reply to you at first, we must have just missed it. Don't listen to CK, we don't normally ignore people, we're here to help :)

^ This.
CK may think differently because he has been notorious for one-line posts in the past that we actually DID ignore (the meaningless posts and the ignoring have both slowed).

Our bad for missing you.

comboking

Smash Master
Well I am just saying there are some people that get missed. Because we get too deep in to discussions and miss a few posts. How good is Jab to Fair I have seen kirk do it a little bit?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Well I am just saying there are some people that get missed. Because we get too deep in to discussions and miss a few posts. How good is Jab to Fair I have seen kirk do it a little bit?
Jab -> Fair would only work if you're opponent completely didn't see it coming. If you notice your opponent likes to spot-dodge to try and escape your jab combo, you can buffer an Fair or an Ftilt out of a jab to punish the spot-dodge... other than that, it comes out too slowly and has too little killing power to really be any use as a jab follow-up. Utilt and Bair would always be better options.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Jab -> Fair would only work if you're opponent completely didn't see it coming. If you notice your opponent likes to spot-dodge to try and escape your jab combo, you can buffer an Fair or an Ftilt out of a jab to punish the spot-dodge... other than that, it comes out too slowly and has too little killing power to really be any use as a jab follow-up. Utilt and Bair would always be better options.

The situations you spelled out are less likely to occur. Rather, a more likely scenario for Jab to F-air is to do Jab to retreat F-Air. In fact, some players tend to roll when they are stuck against the edge. So jabbing them there, and retreating F-air could work.

Then a gain, if they are on the edge, we can just use that new AT xD.

WingBr

Smash Cadet
About the utilt followup, should I cancel the jab by crouching or just to the utilt? I believe you can't buffer a utilt to follow up a jab, right?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
About the utilt followup, should I cancel the jab by crouching or just to the utilt? I believe you can't buffer a utilt to follow up a jab, right?
Straight into the Utilt without crouching. Only crouch if you're going to jab again without continuing the sequence.

And what Bored said about jab-Fair. It's true. If I -think- they're going to roll, but am not 100% sure, I do a retreating Fair after jabs. If I'm super 110% sure, though, I do an Fsmash. It's the most PAINFUL read-- people always make unhappy sounds when they get hit. But that's not often. At all. Really.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Then a gain, if they are on the edge, we can just use that new AT xD.
^^^ Lawl, truth. I still think Jab -> Fair would be mostly useless. More often than not, people will just buffer a shield if you cancel a jab, so you'd just end up eating a shield and depending on the character, a shield grab or some other punishment.

WingBr said:
I crouch cancel first and then Utilt with the c-stick. If you have your c-stick set to smashes you may have to buffer it. I don't even know if there's a difference between canceling and just buffering, but it seems to me like there is.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I don't feel like making a new thread but my friend found out or rediscovered something else that had been over looked. It's called jump cancel toss and what it does is pretty much exactly like glide tossing except i think everyone can do it. At least people who can't glide toss and DACIT have been able to.

All you do is jump and Press Z while moving in a direction. Timing is pretty easy but i never tested it on Ike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom