• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 Info Dump!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Awww, after going through all that s*** he still loses. Poor Hbox, but amazing play during first set. I felt like he went back to his old style of getting hit by all Armada's bombs in the second set, but I'd not be surprised if that could be attributed to mental fatigue. I didn't know Melee could be so brutal to its players :p

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Armada defeats Hungrybox 3-0 in Grand Finals, Dr. PeePee 3-1 in Winners' Semis and Mango 3-0 in Winners' Finals.

Armada lost his first set since Pound 5 of last year to Hungrybox. He continues to be unrestable by him.

Armada is 3-2 in sets vs Mango now.

He wins $3600!

GG America! :D

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Armada is much more at fault for making this "campy" or whatever people are accusing the finals of being. I'm sad people can't enjoy the match for what it is though.

Hungrybox played really well, and he certainly deserved his 2nd place. Grats to Armada on winning Apex.

Also yeah the commentary was real bad during the later half of the finals.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I agree that we'll never all be happy with a commentator's style, but talking down your own game when the community is trying to grow its name and influence is a huge step backward. Imagine if you were a corporate sponsor listening in... would the finals commentary make you excited to get involved in this community? Food for thought.

how2smashbrothers

Smash Apprentice
Armada is much more at fault for making this "campy" or whatever people are accusing the finals of being. I'm sad people can't enjoy the match for what it is though.

Hungrybox played really well, and he certainly deserved his 2nd place. Grats to Armada on winning Apex.
lol think about every tournament that had ****ty finals.

The common link is Hbox. Deal with it he killed Melee.

wiito

Smash Apprentice
Did Doggy got muted for saying he wanted to see brawl finals to see if they were more exciting? lol

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
if anyone debates that armada is not the best in the world now they are morons

congrats armada!

There were a ****ton of upsets at this

:phone:

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
Good **** Armada.

I think I'm going to play this game again, I really miss it.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I don't think Grand Finals between YL and Jiggs timing each other out no matter what would have proved who is the best between Hbox and Armada. I wouldn't call Armada better than Hbox and I also wouldn't call Hbox better than Armada.

I think for Jiggs vs Peach to happen would determine the true best. Armada is still 0-1 vs Hbox with Peach. I'm waiting for it to happen.

blindhobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PSN: Ligray
Mad props to Hbox. Guy was beasting through the bracket and especially taking down Mango like that.

Congrats to Armada too.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Just sucks even more when you know Armada could win with without the YL v Jiggs matchup. I mean timeouts and last stock close??? You telling me its even necessary, its obviously super close even with YL and to be honest it's completely unnecessary and just ruins the rest of the tournament, but if you enjoy playing it then **** it right? Not my choice to make but just food for thought. I imagine anyone who might have been thinking melee was looking cool and hype saw that and said "this is what grand finals looks like in a melee tourney? Nah, I'll just stick with my other games thank you."

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Counterpicking doesn't give Young Link any significance as a character.
Armada mains peach.
This is a major international tournament win for Peach, and just because Armada timed out a jiggs with a hard counter, it doesn't mean that Young Link had any significance in Armada's path to winning the entire tournament.
Only one match.

Hive

Smash Lord
grats armada! some really fun games to watch on the stream in the top 8 for melee :D
I think javi and mango were some of my fave matches :) (very fast paced and lots of mindgames!)
I was also really into the mvc actually... even though i've never played the games I htink the commentators really hyped that well ^^

(the cult shoutouts to scientology were kinda creepy though...)

Papero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paperio
Good job Javi for taking down PP.

Good job Hungrybox for sticking to Puff and getting 2nd.

Good job Armada for getting 1st and 3-0ing Mango.

Mango ehhhhhh

10 years and Melee metagame is still evolving. The timer is finally starting to become an important aspect of the game. People have been saying Melee is a defensive game, and this only enhances that idea. People play to win tournaments, this is what happens.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Counterpicking doesn't give Young Link any significance as a character.
Armada mains peach.
This is a major international tournament win for Peach, and just because Armada timed out a jiggs with a hard counter, it doesn't mean that Young Link had any significance in Armada's path to winning the entire tournament.
Only one match.
But he didn't win with peach. Arguably the most important thing is being able to win with your tried and true character.

See: PP at Pound 5. I'm not arguing against Armada's skill with Peach or trying to take anything away from him, but he didn't WIN with Peach.

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
http://ajpanton.se/apex2012.gif

If everything in here is correct and I'm not making any mistake:

1 Armada :)
2 HBox
3 Mango
4 Javi :) (mad props once again)
5 Peepee KK :)
7 Hax Shroomed
9 Wobbles Unknown Lovage MacD
13 SFAT Vanz Tope Zhu
17 SilentWolf Darc S2J Chillin KDJ PPU M2K :( DSW
25 Eggm Jman HBK WeonX IB Westballz Teczero Bladewise
33 Chu Plup Leffen Axe :( Thorn Reno Darrel Stricn Kage Redd Eggz Ice :( Amsah :( Cactuar Tai Sol
49 Stabbed Cyrain Azen Linguini Ravenlord Zoso Ambix Hugs :( Swiftbass Vist Tang Mattdotzeb PC DruggedFox Colbol Vududjin

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say Y.link is a hard counter for Jiggs. Hbox learned the matchup now better, and the games were close^^

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Let's take this moment to recognize how beast Javi was this tournament

Winners:
Defeats Cactuar
Loses to Lovage

Losers:
Defeats Redd
Defeats Weon-X
Defeats KoreanDJ
Defeats Vanz
Defeats Lovage