• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 | CHECK OP FOR EVENT BRACKETS/POOLS | EVO 2012 QUALIFIER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
The problem with the event isn't that an earthquake struck and they had to go into crisis management. The problems seem to be entirely bad planning and bad decisionmaking.

Details will come out soon but the stream thing is a perfect issue. I volunteered to stream Melee even if only as a secondary stream. I even said I didn't need grand finals or whatever and I could just stream whatever was available for Melee. I didn't need the projector, id just be quiet and hunker down at a setup to fill in the gaps. He refused saying that EVERY BRACKET MATCH would be streamed and that I couldn't even stream as a backup because he didn't want me taking viewers away from the main stream (which isn't even a smash stream!) Because the streamer knew nothing about Melee (streamer was amazed at how Dreamland could be a neutral stage) he couldn't take initiative to get good matches on the stream even when it was featured centrally on the front page of twitch.

This and now the decision to kick Melee off the stream shows his real negligence to Melee stream viewers, which we should all take offense to, considering how developed the Melee stream watching community has become.

The stream problem was Alex Strife's CHOICE, not some accident.

zmx

Smash Lord
I think the main issue here is a misunderstanding between the TO and the public. We all clearly thought this was a major SMASH event (mainly brawl/melee) where all Smash matches would have priority over everything else.

This is clearly not what Apex is all about. It's a general fighting game event and it's hard to except this because we weren't told this. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thought the other fighting game events were mere side events that could easily be compromised if time became an issue.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I don't see why Apex gave so much love to communities that continue to degrade Smash and are already hating on Apex anyway.
Yeah, while I applaud Strife's effort to bring the communities closer together, I think this event did the opposite because the FGC only had bad things to say about this tourney, and smash from this tournament, and that in turn will just make us more hostile towards them.

I kinda don't want to hear the excuse that the tournament was too big to handle. They knew how many people(for smash at least) would be there before the day of the event, and they should have planned accordingly. The time managing at this event may be the worst I have ever seen at a smash event. I could rant all day but I'll just stop here.

zmx

Smash Lord
Everything being uploaded or whatever doesn't just magically fix the underlying problem here. We were told things that weren't true. We were led to believe things would happen that didn't. Etc.
Well I'll agree the planning was immensely poor.

Just take a look at the original post and the schedule of the events. Apparently it was thought that brawl doubles, up to top 4 would be finished in 2 hours unless I misread it. When in actuality it took nearly 10 hours.

I mean even I could have told you there would be no way to finish it that fast. Doubles take forever for a variety of reasons.

zmx

Smash Lord
Was it? I don't remember many posts about it at least in this topic.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Maaaan! I would have loved to see m2k hax.

Also, Spam_Arrows, I believe they were all supposed to be streamed on one stream, but they were all supposed to be at top 8. Melee isn't because of time issues. We were supposed to see brackets up till top 8 last friday.

You can't deny the other events the livestream because Melee couldn't handle its given time.
they changed the schedule around as someone already said. Not to mention I am watching MvC on stream RIGHT NOW AND THEY ARE NOT IN TOP 8

Tesh

Smash Hero
There were many many posts right after new years trying to reason with the Apex Staff about how 400 people would take too long in this format.

People being tired and having to leave is gonna cause alot of upets I expect.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Well I'll agree the planning was immensely poor.

Just take a look at the original post and the schedule of the events. Apparently it was thought that brawl doubles, up to top 4 would be finished in 2 hours unless I misread it. When in actuality it took nearly 10 hours.

I mean even I could have told you there would be no way to finish it that fast. Doubles take forever for a variety of reasons.
Planning was a disaster of titanic proportions, and as a result massive shifting of schedules is having to happen and Smash is getting shafted. Melee doubles grand finals is apparently happening right now, not streamed. A bunch of Melee singles didn't get streamed. Brawl USA v. the World may not even happen, and I know a bunch of Brawl pools didn't get streamed. Etc.

The community is, in my opinion, justified in being disgruntled. This could all have been foreseen. And frankly, when everything is already out of whack, I'm not seeing why the games with the highest attendance are the ones getting the short end of the stick. Particularly when Melee was still supposed to happen before MvC anyway.

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
Ocean vs Delux
Brood vs Fino
Ramin vs Seagull
Zex vs Polt
Rich Brown vs Jtails
Nakat vs X
Havok vs San
Nick Riddle vs Shugo
Rain vs Denti
Trela vs Leon
Ally vs GDX (lolrape)
Razer vs Shadow
Tyrant vs D. Peach
ADHD vs Mikeray
Gnes vs Z
DEHF vs Pwii
Otori vs Bloodcross
Coney vs 4GOD
False vs Esam
Holy vs Logic
Dabuz vs Sky
Rain vs Denti
Nietono vs Illmatic (If this upsets, I will be astounded)
Fatal vs Kismet
MikeHAZE vs Will
Atomsk vs TO Joe
Nairo vs Salem
Orion vs Kakera
Reflex vs Vinnie
Dojo vs Trevonte
Zero vs DRN
Seibrik vs Bassem
M2K vs FOW

Havok > san
adhd > mikeray
Dehf > pwii
Tyrant > dark.pch
Nietono > illmatic
will > mikehaze
Razer > Shadow
Trevonte > Dojo
Ally > gdx
Rain > denti
Zex > polt
Nairo > salem
Dabuz > sky
Otori > bloodcross
Trevonte > dojo
Rich brown > jtails

zmx

Smash Lord
^Thanks for the update. We greatly appreciate it. Where are you getting this info btw?

I do agree the Smash community is justified in it's anger. Not because we deserve better or anything like that. But because this was advertised, first and foremost as a smash event. Not just any smash event but the biggest of all time. Brawl/Melee players came from ALL over the world. The hype was off the charts for those events and I think they should have priority over side events where the attendance isn't even close to as high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom