• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti-Meta Knight Discussion

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
why yoshi?

ive never seen them in a match can someone explain to me how he is the best CP?

btw im surprised u didnt put metaknight at the top cuz only mk can beat mk lolz.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Gee, I'm sorry for not providing a full ****ing synopsis for you. Shame on me for being happy about where my character is and for not making a contribution
Yeah, I know.

Nice contribution there! Kinda like the rest of your posts in this thread. "Hey, move ____ up, he's good. Move ____ down, he sucks." You're one to talk.
The __I gave out was the obvious__. Ex would be why Captain Falcon was higher than Yoshi? And that the half of the cast that did horribly vs MK were higher than the ones who actaully faired against him pretty well. Nice observation.

But you know what, enough of my snide remarks.
Yeah end that **** please

First and foremost, understand that Zelda's moves, when they're not DI'd out of/sourspotted, are pretty ****ing deadly.
Who in their right mine wouldn't DI correctly from one of her smashes?

From the middle of FD, given the general best DI that I could manage as one person, Zelda is killing MK:

- off the side with Dsmash at 120%
- off the top with ftilt at 105%
- off the side with Fsmash at 100%
- off the top with utilt at 89% (grounded, so there's an angle that MK is sent at - hit with the top part of utilt for a lower kill than Usmash)
- off the top with Usmash at 88%
- off the top with uair at 74% (MK is grounded here, so it's going to kill at lower damages in real matches)
- off the side with fair at 69%
- off the side with bair at 62%
Those are killing percentages while fresh. Also when will be able to hit a small target like MK with such ease wit a B/Fair, sweetspoted also?

Note that this is in the center of FD, and these are all fresh, in a real match. As for a single decay prior to killing (taking into account the moves that I feel would generally be decayed anyway):

- off the side with Dsmash at 132%
- off the top with Fsmash at 118%
- off the side with Usmash at 100%
- off the side with fair at 83%
- off the side with bair at 78%
So now you get to the percentage that actually matter

The rest simply do not matter enough because they're either not used for much of anything but killing or low % combos, or they have other factors that just make this too complicated.
The rest dosen't matter so their is no need for me to get into that paragraph then....

Miscellaneous info that helps Zelda look a little flashier:
Miscellaneous not interesting it's especially not what I'm looking forward to reading when I'm trying to figure out why she deserves a high spot on this list. But if you insist....

- Her ftilt, when angled up, still equates, if not beats, all of MK's aerials in range. This angled ftilt can be used to trade hits or just flat out stop MK with SH approaches. However, it's not something that can easily be relied on, so it's not exactly a gamebreaking strategy.
If it's not groundbreaking why bring it up?? And even if that is the case his ground game and zoning is more than enough for Zelda!

- Her dtilt. Fresh, it can start a lock on MK at 50%, and the MK player must do his best to get out of it by DIing properly away from Zelda. If the move is too fresh and/or if MK's damage is too high, it'll just pop him up in the air with enough hitstun for Zelda to Usmash, utilt, or ftilt MK, It's also a pretty much guaranteed follow-up for Dsmash, as Dsmash comes out one frame sooner.
Can a move ever get TOO fresh? Unless she spittin out hundred dollar bills xD then I don't think a move will ever get TOO fresh. On top of that why try to go through a D-Tilt inro a D-Smash when you have so many other options avaliable according to your list?

- Her out-of-shield options are fantastic. Basically, Usmash, Dsmash, dtilt, fair, bair, nair, and Nayru's Love cover pretty much every situation for her when she needs to leave her shield.
OK.......so her smashes and tilts are her OoS options yet how did you get into your shield in the first place. By standing there using your Smashes and Tilts. On top of that MK out zones Zelda. All tha stuff Oos Zelda has is nothing when compared to MK options OoS and his ground and aeial zoning is too gud.

Anyway, as for the actual fight, MK still has an advantage on Zelda. His attacks have nice range and speed on them and a lot of them don't clank. Neither do Zelda's disjointed attacks for that matter, but she has a harder time against swordies in the first place. MK barely outranges Zelda on the ground as far as I know, with dtilt and ftilt generally having a bit more range than Zelda's Fsmash, but her range is still good. Their smash attacks are very identical here, actually. MK's Dsmash is like a slightly buffed Zelda Dsmash (but Zelda's still comes out one frame faster, yay!), MK's Fsmash is worse than Zelda's in every aspect except you can't DI out of his, and his Usmash is slightly weaker and slightly slower than Zelda's. His tilts are his best option for racking up damage on Zelda when he's grounded, along with his better grab, better ground mobility, and somewhat equal throws.
Thanks for talking about how MK has the advantage over Zelda!

In the air, he still wins (but so do a lot of characters vs. Zelda). However, all it really takes is one well-placed aerial to kill off MK, or at the very least to get him off of Zelda's case for a while.
Why would you go in the air with MK then if you said that he wins in that department?

MK's aerial mobility is not that good; as with the other two Kirby characters, this basically helps her land her kicks on MK.
So above you said his aerial ability is better than Zeldas but here you say that it's not good? Your facts are twisted which one is it?
I think I'll just end the aerial combat by saying MK has an advantage in the air, but one mistake can prove fatal
As in any Matchup one mistake is fatalthnks for stating the obvious....
Zelda is still the queen (princess >_>) of insanely powerful aerials (when sweetspotted, of course), and they put him to rest very early on.
Thing is when Sweetspoted, MK just slashes away and sweetspoted or not they still rack up damage and have killing potential one way or another. MK>Zelda in the air....
To sum the rest of it up she dosen't have all the answers to MK and she has a long way to go before she actually can have those rights......

Teaddiction

Smash Cadet
Mmm..ok, but I don´t understan why Bowser is so high, as far as I know Bowser is a Giant target for all the smash caracters, and MK looks at him like a Giant Log waiting to be chopped to the death...so...please explain

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Mmm..ok, but I don´t understan why Bowser is so high, as far as I know Bowser is a Giant target for all the smash caracters, and MK looks at him like a Giant Log waiting to be chopped to the death...so...please explain
This comes directly from the MK matchup thread

" I think that a lot of people think the Bowser vs Meta 55-45 matchup is such a joke since Bowser is such a crappy character to most players. With Meta being the undisputed best character in the game, many would assume that he would utterly **** Bowser in every way.

Think about it like this though. Both Bowser and Meta Knight are characters of extremes. In actual statistics, neither of them are balanced characters. There really is no middle ground for either of them in terms of speed, power, etc. In most cases, they're either really bad at something, or really good at something.

Bowser is really big, slow and not very maneuverable. However, he's strong and has a large range on a lot of his attacks. He also weighs 50,000 pounds.

Meta is really small, fast, and maneuverable to the max. He has long range and he attacks insanely quick. He also weighs 5 pounds.

The thing about Bowser is that his matchups really don't match up with his extreme attributes. He isn't a character that has some excellent matchups and some terrible matchups. He's a character that is pretty much made of bad matchups. (Besides the obvious things like Ganondorf and Falcon.) The funny thing about that though, is that even though a lot of his matchups are disadvantageous, most of them aren't horribly disadvantageous. They're usually only 55-65 in his opponent's favor. COLOR="Lime"]"[/COLOR]

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Did everyone really let the yoshi boards brainwash you guys into thinking Yoshi is the best bet vs mk?

tsk tsk

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
D3 is decent vs. MK, only because he can't regularly CG MK. Also, considering DDD's weight and speed, MK can do some damage quickly on him. But, DDD can move up some spaces. ^^
U-tilt through Tornado is too good.

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
Ice climbers get ***** by metaknight. u know how hard it is to chain grab him. him and lucas are pretty hard to chain grab.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I guess I'll help out Successor of Raphael by explaining some things about his post.

Who in their right mine wouldn't DI correctly from one of her smashes?
If you closely read what he wrote, he's referring to SDI'ing out of the smash, not DI after you get knocked back.

Can a move ever get TOO fresh? Unless she spittin out hundred dollar bills xD then I don't think a move will ever get TOO fresh. On top of that why try to go through a D-Tilt inro a D-Smash when you have so many other options avaliable according to your list?
The Dtilt being "too" fresh refers to it having enough knockback to pop him up into the air. Zelda's Dtilt only "locks" up to a certain percentage (after which the opponent pops into the air), however, if the Dtilt is sufficiently decayed, then the lock can continue into higher percentages before the opponent leaves the ground (forcing Zelda to use an ending move).

The reason why you would Dtilt to Dsmash is if MK is escaping the lock by SDI'ing away. If the Dtilt doesn't pop him into the air, the other follow ups WILL NOT WORK (unless it trips him, then I think you can still do a Ftilt or running Usmash).

OK.......so her smashes and tilts are her OoS options yet how did you get into your shield in the first place. By standing there using your Smashes and Tilts. On top of that MK out zones Zelda. All tha stuff Oos Zelda has is nothing when compared to MK options OoS and his ground and aeial zoning is too gud.
I can't really argue about MK out zoning Zelda. However, MK has no projectile so he'd have to be in sword range to do anything (which means that if Zelda blocks it, it's possible that Zelda could do something OoS). Plus you have to consider that Zelda's moves still have disjointedness and range (even if they're less then MK) plus she has a projectile (even if it's not that good) so it's not like MK can spend forever trying to get in on Zelda because there's massive risk in not directly pressuring Zelda (due to her high damage output/knockback and MK's light weight).

He's just pointing out that while Zelda does have a few good points against MK, he still has the advantage overall in the matchup. It'd be hard to see his post as credible otherwise.

Why would you go in the air with MK then if you said that he wins in that department?
Again, if you closely read the post, Zelda would not choose to go head to head against MK in the air. However, when it does come down to that (aka MK knocks her into the air), MK still has to be careful because Zelda's aerials cause massive damage and are still pretty fast (Fair and Bair are also disjointed with quite a bit of range).

So above you said his aerial ability is better than Zeldas but here you say that it's not good? Your facts are twisted which one is it?
Once again, if you read what he wrote, he's comparing air mobility (ie how quickly he moves in the air), not air ability (how good his air attacks are).

As in any Matchup one mistake is fatalthnks for stating the obvious....
Mistakes against Zelda are more fatal than usual (due to severe knockback and damage from several moves), which is why he's pointing it out.

To sum the rest of it up she dosen't have all the answers to MK and she has a long way to go before she actually can have those rights......
I actually agree with you on this (I'm one of the Zelda's who thinks the match up is worse than the 60:40MK in our match up thread). But then again, he's saying that she should stay at the bottom of high because she actually can threaten MK. By no means is he saying that she is great against MK and that she should be a top tier counterpick against him.

By the way, this is not an attack against you or your post. I just wanted to clarify a few things that non-Zelda's might be confused about.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Ness is way too low on this list. I just beat Sean (norcal's best meta) on rainbow cruise with Ness, and I 2 stocked TKD (the winner of west coast smash league) in a tourney match with Ness (obviously lost the set) . Raise him up, he's not that good overall but against meta he has a decent shot.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Thank you, sniperworm. You pretty much answered those exactly as how I would answer them, though the only part I disagree slightly on is how advantaged MK is, but that's not really important. 60:40 or whatever yours is (I'm guessing 65:35) isn't really too big of a difference, so long as we agree that he's advantaged.

As for the rest...

Those are killing percentages while fresh. Also when will be able to hit a small target like MK with such ease wit a B/Fair, sweetspoted also?

So now you get to the percentage that actually matter
It's harder to land sweetspotted kicks on MK than it is someone like DDD. Not HARD. A character that can hold Zelda off with projectile/zair spam (the Links, Olimar, armor/zero suit Samus) is harder to lightning kick than MK is unless you can break through their defenses... in which case, TL and Olimar are still harder to kick because they're more mobile and Oli has Pikmin. MK is about moderate when it comes to landing lightning kicks because he has to be in your face to damage you, so you don't have to worry about approaching to get a kick. His fair, nair, and bair either 1) have enough lag time for Zelda to jump in and fair/bair, and/or 2) lose out in range. His aerial mobility is also subpar, so he's not going to be dodging Zelda's moves in and out, and he's a slow target for Zelda to kick. Yes, MK still wins as far as attacks are concerned because his aerials are good at pressuring Zelda and they still come out very fast, but this does not mean Zelda's aerials are useless, which is exactly what I was saying the whole time.

As for the decayed thing, they're not the only ones that matter. What if Zelda loses a stock? Fresh moveset right there. What if we're on Sheik/Zelda? Fresh moveset right there. What if I never landed utilt/ftilt/Dsmash? Fresh utilt/ftilt/Dsmash. It's important to list both. Just because a lot of her moves might be decayed does not mean the player won't keep a smash attack/tilt in reserve for the kill. She doesn't even need to use utilt to rack up damage as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I never listed it in the decayed part for that reason alone, so yes, fresh kill %s do matter when it comes to Zelda.

If it's not groundbreaking why bring it up?? And even if that is the case his ground game and zoning is more than enough for Zelda!

I bring up the fact that she can reliably answer to SH approaches from the ground because, well, that's something that not everyone can do! It isn't groundbreaking because he doesn't need to rely on that, but nonetheless it is an advantage that Zelda has and it should account for her position on the list. I mean, duh, didn't you ask for reasons as to why she's high on the list? I'm naming them off for you.

The "you used your shield because you used smashes and tilts" part makes no sense. You say this like no other character has to do this. Who the hell wouldn't use their smash attacks normally as well as OoS? Also, the part about MK zoning her is unwarranted because the main purpose of an OoS option is to counteract something your opponent did. Pretty sure Zelda's Fsmash can reach MK when he can ftilt and after a dtilt. Fsmashing OoS means MK can be punished if he doesn't react in time, and even if he does, if he doesn't powershield it, he cannot punish Zelda at that distance. That is one of the many beauties of OoS options in the first place.

Oh, and her OoS options are beastly. Name another character who can kill MK below 70% with an aerial OoS without being at the brink of the stage. Name a character with a faster Dsmash than hers. Her Usmash is still very fast and it overrides some of MK's attacks because he simply can't reach her. The others are just extra options that she can use in place of the other moves if Zelda wants to save killing moves or if the player feels that it's too risky to try to use a certain attack OoS for whatever reason, but as far as I'm concerned, this rarely happens when it comes to MK.

Also, nobody cares about MK's OoS options when we're talking about Zelda's OoS options. She's in her shield because MK is not. MK having good OoS options as well is only applicable when he's in a shield... or in other words, when Zelda is not.

Thanks for giving me a reason to think of you as slightly unintelligent.

Thing is when Sweetspoted, MK just slashes away and sweetspoted or not they still rack up damage and have killing potential one way or another. MK>Zelda in the air....
I wonder who said that already?

What, to be high tier? I don't care if she moves down in the tier, but she is still high tier, and I will stand by that fact. She DOES threaten to wreck his **** at early %s, whether you choose to acknowledge this or not, and she doesn't even need a meteor to make it happen. She does have an answer to pretty much everything he can do. I made sure to imply that her answers are not the best and she might be limited from time to time, but the point is that she does stand a good shot against MK.

Most of those characters in mid/bottom don't even measure up to Zelda in terms of fighting MK. The things most of them lack, in my opinion, are just too fatalistic for them to move up to high tier... or rather, for Zelda to move down there with them.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
You don't think that most likely had something to do with match-up inexperience? Don't get me wrong, Ness is one bad mo-shut your mouth!

But seriously, the fact that MK in the air outranges Ness in the air (doesn't MK's Fair beat Ness'?) is a huge blow considering Ness' aerials are his biggest asset.

Although... now that I look at the list and see that Ness is low middle tier, under Jigglypuff... yeah, Ness is too low.
So... nevermind?

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Lucario can fight MK pretty well if you camp and spam, i think you should move him up a spot or two at least. TL gets RAAAAAPED by MK. Jigglypuff can also fight MK well. I believe that all of her aerials beat out all of MK's aerials except for his Dair. Jigglypuff can also land rest right out of tornado. She's pretty underrated when it comes to fighting MK honestly. Fox should be higher. For a while the MK boards had Fox vs MK as the only even matchup. It might still be like that actually.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Are you talking to me by chance? Or are you talking to the guy above you?

Not that it matters either way. Elaborate, since you want to ask everyone else to elaborate.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Mario is at least upper mid tier in this. The cape destroys MK's side special approach and his recoveries. FIHL works wonders against the glide attack (using this as an example, it also helps with many other attacks).

Mario does good against MK, compared to many others.
Cept for the fact that he can't get in through MK's attacks, is virtually helpless against the tornado (aside from caping perfectly if I recall correctly), and is gimped relatively easily. His slightly below average kill power also sucks against MK. ;-;
Just look at the Metaknight matchup thread. >_>
It's not exactly what I'd call reliable. << lol 65:35 Lucario

Did everyone really let the yoshi boards brainwash you guys into thinking Yoshi is the best bet vs mk?

tsk tsk
BREEEEEEN---HA!

Lucario can fight MK pretty well if you camp and spam, i think you should move him up a spot or two at least. TL gets RAAAAAPED by MK. Jigglypuff can also fight MK well. I believe that all of her aerials beat out all of MK's aerials except for his Dair. Jigglypuff can also land rest right out of tornado. She's pretty underrated when it comes to fighting MK honestly. Fox should be higher. For a while the MK boards had Fox vs MK as the only even matchup. It might still be like that actually.

Ike does pretty well against MK (relatively) last I checked. He outranges, kills early, and almost definitely does better than Mario does. He has reliable anti-tornado moves in counter, Bair, Nair, and possibly even Eruption, and his weight combined with his range makes him harder than most to knock off the stage for his inevitable gimp.

Jigglypuff above Sonic imo. With her air speed and priority, she can fight head-to-head in the air like a Wario with range, combined with Resting tornado as a viable option to dissuade them, and reliable kill moves in Fair, Fsmash, Usmash, and in some instances, rest.

Pikachu above Luc and Wolf. Anther, nuff said.

Luc above Wolf.

Other than that, I don't know what to change.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ROCK SMAHSSSSSSSSSSSSHSHSHHHHHHHHHHHARGHHHHHGARAAHRHHGHGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

charizard should be like, near the border of mid and high.

rock smash by itself should be middle of high.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Are you talking to me by chance? Or are you talking to the guy above you?

Not that it matters either way. Elaborate, since you want to ask everyone else to elaborate.
To you btw. No point. A zelda Main that thinks the matchup is fair in the very least. Her options aren't as great vs MK as you think. You(Zelda) will be able to punish bad mistakes very bad at that. While MK can punish a multitude of attacks. Being able to kill MK with an aerial is nice but what are the chances of hitting with it? Anyways your perception about this matchup is ****ed up. You will NEED TO DO THIS A COUPLE OF THOUSAND TIMES to understand how badly the advantage is with MK.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
To you btw. No point. A zelda Main that thinks the matchup is fair in the very least. Her options aren't as great vs MK as you think. You(Zelda) will be able to punish bad mistakes very bad at that. While MK can punish a multitude of attacks. Being able to kill MK with an aerial is nice but what are the chances of hitting with it? Anyways your perception about this matchup is ****ed up. You will NEED TO DO THIS A COUPLE OF THOUSAND TIMES to understand how badly the advantage is with MK.

You say that like I'm the only Zelda main who thinks that this match-up isn't 80:20 MK. It's not even close to that. Her options are good... that's why she's high tier and not bottom. Unless you want to prove that she's mid or bottom yourself, but you seem reluctant to do so.

Also, stop ranking things based off of how "hard" they are to do. Yes, you need skill to fair/bair MK, but that goes without saying. Yes, it's kinda hard to break the tornado with utilt or something like that. No, you can't just assume that because her sweetspotted kicks are harder to land in Brawl, it's going to be hard for top level players to land. If it can be done, it can be done. My perception isn't even that bad. It'd be bad if I said this were an even match or if it were her advantage, but I clearly gave the advantage to MK while still naming what Zelda still has going for her in the fight. How does this make me narrow-minded to the fight?

Instead of sitting back and telling me why I'm so wrong, why don't you start backing your own opinions up with something other than "cuz he's gud 'n' she'z not" arguments, or rather, why don't you start making valid posts as to why characters need to move up or down instead of being a hypocrite about people posting single reasons while you continue to do it? You just did it there. "It's hard for her to land her lightning kicks, so she's badly disadvantaged."

Get real.

arch knight

Smash Lord
You say that like I'm the only Zelda main who thinks that this match-up isn't 80:20 MK. It's not even close to that. Her options are good... that's why she's high tier and not bottom. Unless you want to prove that she's mid or bottom yourself, but you seem reluctant to do so.

Also, stop ranking things based off of how "easy" and how "hard" they are to do. Yes, you need skill to fair/bair MK, but that goes without saying. If it can be done, it can be done. My perception isn't even that bad. It'd be bad if I said this were an even match or if it were her advantage, but I clearly gave the advantage to MK while still naming what Zelda still has going for her in the fight. How does this make me narrow-minded to the fight?

Instead of sitting back and telling me why I'm so wrong, why don't you start backing your own opinions up with something other than "cuz he's gud 'n' she'z not" arguments, or rather, why don't you start making valid posts as to why characters need to move up or down instead of being a hypocrite about people posting single reasons while you continue to do it? You just did it there. "It's hard for her to land her lightning kicks, so she's badly disadvantaged."

Get real.
i agree i just finished a zelda mainer and i had trouble with her she had quite the upper hand most of the time.

if you dont keep constant pressure vs a zelda mainer then you get punished greatly as an mk

(i won)

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Is Sheik/Zelda worthy for this list or not?
Not sure if it'd be worth using Sheik in this fight (since last I heard it's pretty rough). I think that Sheiks will use Sheik, Zeldas would just stay Zelda, and Sheik/Zelda would skip Sheik and just use Zelda.

But then again, it's hard to pass up the guaranteed tipper DACUS from the grab release (I would imagine that it easily kills MK at 100% at FD (even with DI)) and needles are always fun...

Oh, and you're right in your assumption that I think MK vs Zelda is 65:35 MK (however, if I had to choose 6:4 or 7:3, I'd pick 6:4).

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Move Kirby and Jigglypuff up, and nerf ROB.

God Tier should be Yoshi, Bowser, Snake, and Falco. DK and Zamus should be at the top of Top Tier.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
FYI EVERYBODY: The top and high sections, are pretty much totally derived from the MK matchup thread

Anyway, snowstalker, elaborate please

Top Bottom